Monkey Wrench

46 woodie

My wife asked me where the term "Monkey Wrench" came from and I don't have a clue.  I think it's a derogatory term for a bad mechanic and their tools. Anyone have an answer?

That handy tool, the "monkey-wrench", is not so named because it is a handy thing to monkey with, or for any kindred reason. "Monkey" is not its name at all, Charles Moncky, the inventor of it, sold his patent for $5000, and invested the money in a house in Williamsburg, Kings County, where he now lives.

2 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

That handy tool, the "monkey-wrench", is not so named because it is a handy thing to monkey with, or for any kindred reason. "Monkey" is not its name at all, Charles Moncky, the inventor of it, sold his patent for $5000, and invested the money in a house in Williamsburg, Kings County, where he now lives.

I think the Charles Moncky reference might be a hoax.

• Like 1

Still living in the house.  he is famous for his invention and for being over200 years old.  His patents were purchased by Ebeneezer Screwdriver. Much later R&B singer Piercy Sledge boughtE.  Screwdriver Inc. With the fortune that he accumulated from the sales of his eponymous hammer

3 hours ago, Tinindian said:

Edited by CarlLaFong (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Since the term dates at least to the 1840s, anything later is doubtful.

That said a true monkey wrench is not a crescent wrench but rather one with a swiveling jaw that allows one handed operation and a worm gear for adjustability.

Sometimes the old legends are more fun that the truth....

Do you guys know how Ball and Ball Carburetors got their name? It's because when you turn the fuel bowl upside down two tiny ball bearings fall out and go bouncing across the shop floor.

• Haha 1

I inherited several "monkey wrenches" from my Dad. They were quite useful working on farm equipment when I was a youngster, as we couldn't afford the spanners and sockets in the larger sizes. I have at least a couple of different designs of monkey wrenches. Just Googled the term, and found some folks call a pipe wrench a monkey wrench. However, all of the monkey wrenches I grew up with have smooth jaws. 

Unfortunately, they aren't very useful in working on most carburetors (too large), although the hammer section of the monkey wrench can be a stress reliever when working with Marvels ;)

Since this thread is referencing "legends", please don't start on the Pogue or Fish "carburetors".

Jon.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, padgett said:

That said a true monkey wrench is not a crescent wrench but rather one with a swiveling jaw that allows one handed operation and a worm gear for adjustability.

Yes! A straight smooth pair of parallel jaws.

The Stillson Wrench is similar, but has the advantage of

1. serrated jaws

2. swivel jaw action that helps grip the pipe/fastener/finger/etc.😁

Monkey Wrench.jpg

One other feature of the monkey wrench is the hammer pad designed into it on the back side of the jaws. The bottom picture of bloo’s post shows that.

I use a Ford wrench daily in my job as a millwright and often have guys want to borrow it, they are useful for holding hydraulic cylinder rods and clevises in tight spots where the angled head of a combination wrench or crescent wrench just won’t fit.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:20 PM, 46 woodie said:

My wife asked me where the term "Monkey Wrench" came from and I don't have a clue.  I think it's a derogatory term for a bad mechanic and their tools. Anyone have an answer?

My best guess is that it was easier to say hand me the Monkey Wrench than it was to ask for the adjustable axle nut spanner, but who really knows why the Brits call cookies biscuits, drink warm beer, spell tire with a "y" and named this tool a Monkey Wrench.

"Mexican Speed Wrench" "Blue Nosed Wrench" and then there is Whitworth...

ps it is not true that the Brits drink warm beer. They drink it at room temperature. 38F.

Once was visiting jolly old. People we were staying with complained about some Canadians who just left who turned the heat up to 55F.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

I walked into a pub in London once.

They had a small glass door cooler behind the bar for guys like me.

It even had some Budweiser in it. But it tasted like formaldehyde.

The stuff on tap tasted like tar.

But they were all friendly folks.

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

I walked into a pub in London once.

They had a small glass door cooler behind the bar for guys like me.

It even had some Budweiser in it. But it tasted like formaldehyde.

The stuff on tap tasted like tar.

But they were all friendly folks.

No cooler in the pubs I visited, only a trough of tap water about 1' deep with beer bottles standing in it.

On 11/13/2019 at 3:19 PM, Digger914 said:

My best guess is that it was easier to say hand me the Monkey Wrench than it was to ask for the adjustable axle nut spanner, but who really knows why the Brits call cookies biscuits, drink warm beer, spell tire with a "y" and named this tool a Monkey Wrench.

They also don't know that a bonnet is a woman's hat, a boot is a man's shoe, a saloon is a place to drink beer, and a dickie is, well...not a seat.  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1