Oh, MAN....car dollies are the best!

keiser31

Got a brand, new set of car dollies for helping a friend get his car trailer ready to use and they REALLY make a difference. These have the steel wheels and are a little tough to get over the cracks in the old floor, but now I can move the car all by myself without having to use a floor jack. I was thinking of using four more with some telescoping legs attached to them and a couple of cross members to raise the body up enough to get the chassis (with steering column attached) out from under it.

Picture 30093.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I think everyone restoring an old car has a set of these by now.  I can turn my DeSoto 180 degrees to point the front outward or the rear outward.  I'm getting ready to finally start the engine on mine, so I'll turn the rear of the car to face outside so I don't breathe any carbon monoxide when I start the engine!  Telescoping legs?  Do they make anything like that?  That crack looks like it would be hard to roll over.  You could go to Home Depot and get some concrete patch repair and fill it.  Marc.

40 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Looks like a lot of progress in the garage clean out in Keiser31 garage.  Now the car work starts.

Yes. I find it incredible that I was motivated enough to move 23 years of "STUFF" out of my garage in the last month. There is more to go to the dump, too.

Picture 30089.jpg

Picture 30090.jpg

Picture 30091.jpg

• Like 2

I bought a set of dollies from Harbor Freight at an attractive price several years ago.  They looked pretty too, but now for the negative; they had solid metal wheels with no bearings in them, and some of the the holes were drilled off center.   Using them under a 3,000 pound car it was hard to push sideways and almost impossible to push forward and backward.  Yup, you get what you pay for.  If you are still tempted because of the low price, buy several sets, make up a set using the best of the wheels and take the rest back.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, padgett said:

No worries, you can't shake sand

LoL! Sorry, that is where liquefaction comes from.

Uncompacted fine sand and silt settles when shaken, forcing out any water in the pore spaces between the sand particles. That is what happened in Christchurch in 2010 and 2011. The water brings sand and silt ejecta with it. What a mess. Areas of the city have settled so much and still being deep uncompacted fine sand and silt, they have been abandoned.

In Niigata in 1964, apartment buildings capsized because of liquefaction. A whole floor settled into the ground. This is fairly common. There was a large landslide in Ankorage, AL in the same year due to liquefaction of a layer of fine sand.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

19 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Next on the agenda …. 

(the lift John, not the car 😉)

dannmar-car-lifts-dmj-6-64_1000.jpg

If only I had the cash for one of those lifts....

If you want to use those car dollies on a rough floor you need some scraps of plywood. Not necessarily full sheets. 2 pieces for each dolly minimum. Roll along slowly from one piece to the next then move the loose piece. I have done this for years, it seems slow but you can move the car anywhere in a few minutes. Easier than getting stuck in a crack or hole. Works on a gravel driveway or an asphalt driveway softened by heat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LoL. Find merchants of photocopiers or large computer gear or similar. They pallets are often plywood on top. Just cruise around commercial areas and you will find pallets out for the taking. We do here, anyway. My kindling is made of freight pallets.

• Like 1

Not a problems, is part of the reason I have a medium rise scissors lift. Is also portable so can put where needed. Was enough to get my RV far enough up I could do about anything. Do have cathedral ceilings in garage. (RV had a very wide track hence the boards, lift was on frame. At time a 7,000 lb lift was hard to find. Note metal plates, nothing slides on concrete so surface is not as important.

upside.jpg

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Like 2

DSC00206.thumb.JPG.8022fed22448c5a6d6b88bcd5ce843a7.JPGI bought a set of the jack dollies (Slide the wheel base around the tire and step on the jack) at Hasrbor Freight @ $64.00 each.

I love them, quick & easy.  I back the car into a side slot and jack the front wheels and push the front over.  Great invention!

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I bought a set of the jack dollies (Slide the wheel base around the tire and step on the jack) at Harbor Freight @ $64.00 each.

I love them, quick & easy.  I back the car into a side slot and jack the front wheels and push the front over.  Great invention!

Merchandise quality at Harbor Freight can be, shall we say questionable. Are you satisfied with the fit and finish of the jack dollies? Are they name brand or of Chinese manufacture? I'm not trying to start a fight. I have been considering a set but haven't looked at HF stuff. Thanks in advance. Zeke

I had six like the ones under the Dodge.

I had one under a 400 lb palm tree this weekend, while moving on flat concrete  one caster broke sending little ball bearings 10 ft in all directions.

Now I have five with 3 spare casters.

3 caster.JPG

16 hours ago, zeke01 said:

No problems with the dolly wheels? Zeke

So far so good.  I've had them 3-4 years now.  I certainly can't push them around with a finger, but they work fine.  I'm sure the more expensive brands might be smoother, but that's expected based on the price.

DSC00202.thumb.JPG.e786da8cdb22bd2d2b1c98fc0eac519d.JPG

On 7/9/2019 at 5:13 PM, zeke01 said:

Merchandise quality at Harbor Freight can be, shall we say questionable. Are you satisfied with the fit and finish of the jack dollies? Are they name brand or of Chinese manufacture? I'm not trying to start a fight. I have been considering a set but haven't looked at HF stuff. Thanks in advance. Zeke

The quality is fine.  I bought them based on the reviews snd $64.00 was more attractive than the $265  jacks a friend bought.  I agree, some HF stuff is junk.  We all have read

the reviews, which are sometimes brutal.

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)

Is better than JCWhitney was (never saw a 3/4 size tire iron before) since can examine. In general basic stuff is pretty good but I avoid testers & battery operated stuff (except for the freebies, have lotsa lights and DVMs). Is usually worth what you pay for it.

10 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

I really like these, bought a set of 4 at a moving sale for $100.

DSCN5453.JPG

I purchased a set of 4 of these at HF a number of years ago Yours like mine are the older version. They are still doing the job.

The current version HF sells seems to be less beefy even though they are rated for the same weight as my older ones. The nice thing about these dollies is that they do not require one to jack the car up with a floor jack like the others in this post. Just slide them under the wheels, pump them up and you're ready to roll. I use mine a couple of times a year when I move my cars around to get three cars in my two car garage.

When it comes to most HF items I buy, I have very low expectations as to how long the item will last. Most tools seem to last a while probably because I am not too hard on them. 

Well Penncraft went a long time ago and Sears/K-Mart imploded. Pep-Boys quality is about the same without the freebies. (Have the blue dual lights just about everywhere, remainder on fridge). I also like the four drawer tool kit in the car for trips and junqueing (HF also has a 130 piece flat case but I do not care for the wrenches and many pieces are connectors).

ps HF  also sells several kinds of casters, is just one bolt.

bluelight.jpg

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Dollies1.thumb.jpg.7c78ed8bc876345a0350998ac8dfe309.jpgI've got two of them from the family across the street, blasted primed & painted. Found two more at the Sunday swap meet a year ago that  a fellow made a table out of. The "Repurposed" value was about four times the car dolly value. If you plan to buy new the purple ones c49er posted are the BEST. Bob 

• Like 1