About Discussions of BCA Club Business/Politics

MrEarl

Discussions of BCA Club Business/Politics

Folks, we have come to a 3 pronged fork in the ol’ Buick Highway in relation to the discussion of BCA Club Business and Politics. One would have had to have been hiding under a rock if they are not aware of the disruption and disturbance that a recent thread brought to our generally peaceful and friendly forum. I have always tried to allow discussions to ebb and flow unchallenged and unimpeded but feel that I may have been negligent in intervening in a few in the past.  I would first like to say that contrary to some of yall’s perceptions that I have been biased and one-sided in my efforts to moderate some threads, I ask that you please believe me when I say I have tried my best not to be and to please put aside those perceptions and allow me the opportunity to try and move us out of the ugly quagmire that we are in.

Back to the forks in the Buick Highway. The fork on the left is the fork we seem to be headed toward. It is full of potholes and dead man curves filled with more fomenting, stir the pot posts, back and forth bickering, hurt feelings, lost friendships and lost members.

The center fork is one of a positive environment, civility, continued old friendships, helping one another with their cars and the making of new friends and very importantly, new members. It is a multi-lane road that all drivers, pre-war, post-war, modifieds, performance, Riviera’s, Reatta’s, and Opels can drive down at their own speed. It looks to be nicely paved with beautiful scenery, rolling hills and gentle curves.

The fork on the right is one that I don’t think anyone would want to be forced down. It is filled with total censorship of any Club Business/Politics discussion and would involve potential loss of communication and informative discussions that are vital to our Clubs health and growth, and ends with us falling into a giant sink hole.   

SO folks, I have chosen to take the center fork and I hope you will all join me as we head down it. But take notice, I see quite a few regulatory signs down that peaceful roadway we will have to abide by if we are going to enjoy the ride. Those signs include No Nonfactual or Knowingly False or Inaccurate Comments,  No Speculative or Conjectural Discussions aimed at stirring the pot, No Tempestuous Arguments, No Political Grandstanding (save it for the Bugle BOD candidate issue), No Personal Attacks, No Defamatory or Slanderous Assertions, No Provoking/Abusive Language, No Threatening, Harassing or Hateful comments.

And be aware, enforcement will be stricter and those unwilling to comply with those posted signs or those who post discussions that a moderator considers as to having disturbed the order, dignity and harmony of this forum may find those posts removed and themselves left behind and standing on the side of the road.

Nothing really new here, just some clarification of what you agreed to when you signed up here that I hope will make more clear the guidelines I will be using to keep the Buick Highway a more friendlier and peaceful highway.

Drive safely my friends.     

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 6

Thank you, The administrator/Moderator is a job very few want to do for just this very reason. The downfall for many a club has been just what you stated happening above

and no one doing anything about it. I personally have raised my children in a way that I will give them rope to do things on their own, if I see them heading down the wrong path I will yank the rope back so they won't hang themselves. Time for a yank

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2018 at 10:01 AM, MrEarl said:

SO folks, I have chosen to take the center fork and I hope you will all join me as we head down it. But take notice, I see quite a few regulatory signs down that peaceful roadway we will have to abide by if we are going to enjoy the ride.

Good choice. The straight and narrow road requires a little more control to stay on it,  but in the long run it is the best road to take. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks,Lamar. Keep on keeping on. Reasonable,courteous, respectful discussion is always encouraged. Personal attacks and reading way too much into actions and situations spoils the on line experience. Our club website seems to be one of if not the most open discussion sites going. Thanks again to our moderators for keeping it that way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mr. Earl, like the man said "It's a tough job but somebody has to do it".  Thank you for taking the time and making the effort.  I think you represent the thoughts of about 95% of the forums users.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
28 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Or paid any attention .;)

Ben

Actually Ben I think everyone has been trying to keep it between the lines of the center fork I described above. Just that a couple of well meaning folks stumbled upon a dead horse and started beating it again which had it continued was inevitably going to foul up the air again.

• Like 2

Your 3 choices were well written, Lamar.

Everyone, and every club, benefits from courtesy and respect.

Sometimes it can be a challenge for people to disagree on

ISSUES but still like the other person.  But that's what develops

good character!  Discuss two totally opposite viewpoints, but

realize that we all have common goals--and make the discussion

so respectful that you really like going out to lunch with the

other guy afterward!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Your 3 choices were well written, Lamar.

Everyone, and every club, benefits from courtesy and respect.

Sometimes it can be a challenge for people to disagree on

ISSUES but still like the other person.  But that's what develops

good character!  Discuss two totally opposite viewpoints, but

realize that we all have common goals--and make the discussion

so respectful that you really like going out to lunch with the

other guy afterward!

Human nature!   One sometimes must bite one's tongue.  Especially with family.   [   Just went through that with a sister. Was difficult to sidetrack. ]    We are all family, right?  I can get my back up when I perceive someone trying to run over me.   

I detest cliques and cronyism.  Right is right. Wrong is wrong.

Ben

• Like 5

2 hours ago, kgreen said:

Long after I'm gone, I don't want to have posted something that when read, motivates someone to search out my grave and piss on it.

No worry about me doin that my friend, the day I got out of the Marine Corp,  I swore I'd never stand in line again 😁🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

22 hours ago, MrEarl said:

No worry about me doin that my friend, the day I got out of the Marine Corp,  I swore I'd never stand in line again 😁🤣🤣

To be clear, I strive not offended anyone, much less so many that there is a line.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, kgreen said:

To be clear, I strive not offended anyone, much less so many that there is a line.

🤣🤣🤣

Enjoyed your visit the other day my friend, keep in mind what we talked about trying out retirement, sooner than later to mind ya!! 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:57 PM, kgreen said:

Long after I'm gone, I don't want to have posted something that when read, motivates someone to search out my grave and piss on it.

I imagine there is nothing one can do to prevent this.  But it may help to think that in the future, not many will be motivated enough to actually order up a Uber vehicle, because no one will have their own car,  and venture into the real world to seek your resting place.

As such they will probably search for your location via the internet, viewing it through the security cameras which will undoubtedly be everywhere ( including some places they aren't really needed) and once they find you they will activate an app to take the offending action.  But it will be virtual piss, thus your resting place will remain unsoiled. 😁

• Haha 3

On 1/18/2019 at 6:57 PM, kgreen said:

I agree with John -- it will be 'virtual pee' because your grave will have been moved to 'the cloud'...  :unsure:

• Haha 2

About 15 years ago I went to a retirement party for two coworkers that filled an atrium building at a large university. At least 300 people were there representing a wide cross section of occupations. The mood was festive, speakers praised both, and I was thoroughly impressed. As I drove home I pictured my retirement and thought about my working relationship with many of those same well wishers.

The thoughts occupied my mind driving to work the next day. I was pretty sure I had it figured out and stopped in my boss's office to discuss it with him. I had hardly uttered the first few words of my topic when he smiled and said " Yeah, neither one of them ever did anything." One one will be walking through the cemetery with a six pack looking for their graves.

I'm thinking about a topic on getting rid of varmints in your garage. A reader was offended at the thought of shooting them. I posted a picture of the AACA Racoon coat contest. Must have pissed someone off. That picture has completely vaporized. It's OK. I will be incinerated. Maybe I will have the ashes put in a wall mounted urinal. With a flashing neon light and moisture sensitive switch!

Thanks for the reminder. I will watch out from now on.

Bernie

• Haha 1

You laugh about the urinal, but if you are seeing "American Standard" is the name brand, you are, in fact, peeing into a Buick.  Historical fact, David D. Buick sold his porcelain process to the Standard Manufacturing Company and they were acquired by the American Manufacturing company, thus becoming the American Standard Manufacturing Company.  So, if in fact, you are using the facility as intended, and notice an American Standard trademark on top, you're in fact peeing into a Buick.  Look it up, it's true.

Edited by Brad Conley (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was sitting in the Milwaukee airport on a prop hop to O'Hare once and looked out my window just forward of the wing. There was the propeller boldly labeled "American Standard". I remember thinking "Why not American Premium or America's Best"? It was just discomforting.

Thinking about that neon sign. My Mom would have been so proud to see "Bernard E. Daily P.E."

Did you possibly misread or misremember the propeller's maker? Hamilton Standard was arguably the most popular maker of large propellers for air planes from the DC-3 up though the last propeller driven DC-7s, Connies, etc.....................Bob