Are 1950's cars past their peak?

When our region has tours, 1960's cars come out more than others.

I had been perceiving this trend, and was wondering whether

it was really true:

ARE 1950'S CARS DECLINING IN INTEREST?

Then I received an electronic newsletter from Hagerty Insurance,

"Tracking the Values of our Top 10 Most Insured Cars," which 

described the 1955-57 Chevrolets.  It appears to confirm what

I was thinking:

"Generally speaking, 1950's cars haven't been performing all that well

in the market, and that includes what might be the most recognizable

'50's car of them all--the 1955-57 Bel Air.  Younger buyers aren't

expressing much interest in these cars, so as owners exit,

the market demand continues weakening.  Right now, Bel Airs

lag behind the rest of the market in most measures, although prices

have remained strong in the private market."

Cars of the 1950's have been popular since at least the 1980's,

and their styling can be flashy, daring, and colorful.  But the most desirable

models and body styles are well above the average person's budget now.

Do other people see this trend?  What do you think are the up-and-coming models?  

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I was thinking the same thing as the interests shift to the 1960s cars.  1950s trucks seem to be strong in the market but cars seem to be dropping in interest as those who grew up with them age and look to sell them as something they no longer can maintain or drive. There are many 50s cars I would like to own but in my age group there is more interest in 1960s cars that we could not afford when they were new but now we have the funds to indulge ourselves.  If you are a fan of 50s cars it should be a great time to buy one, just don't do it for investment purposes.

Terry

Let's do some math. 1950 was 67 years ago. 1959 was 58 years ago. To remember buying and driving one of these cars when they were new even if someone was 20 at the time would make them 87 if the car was a 1950 or 76 if the car was a 1959. More realistically I would think new cars were bought by folks that were a bit older than this. Say they were 30 to 35 before they could afford a new car. Today they would be 97 to 102 to remember a car built and driven when it was new in 1950. Not likely would they be in the market for one of these cars even if they were lucky enough to survive to the ripe old age of 102 in good health. Basically with the passing of that generation there seems be a drop in demand for items from their era. The exception seems to be Brass era autos. Dandy Dave!    

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Suspect the reason is that during the 1950-1970 era, every year the cars were perceived to get "better" and styling took a major shift around 1962 from maximum chrome (peaked in 1958) and fins to more of a "form follows function".

Also the 60s were when alternators, three speed automatics with torque converters, alternators, and most important for me, AC became common.

Finally, the baby boomers who first got a license in the 60s, are now dominant. For them, cars of the 50s were "their parent's cars".

So not surprising that cars of the 50's, except for restomods and rat rods, are declining in popularity.

People like what they like. Not everybody follows the trends. I was born in 1960. I started in the hobby with Model A Fords. I have owned a 1954 Buick. I sold the 1954 Buick and now prefer to drive my 1937 Buick. I do also own a 1989 Buick but my favorite car is the 1937 Buick.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, padgett said:

...Also the 60s were when...most important for me, AC became common....

I hear that more and more:  People who have been

in the hobby for decades are choosing newer cars for

touring, because they like the air conditioning.

There was a time when nice 1932 Buick roadsters and

1955 Cadillac convertibles and beautiful 1958 Pontiac

Bonneville coupes were within reach, and they didn't cost 

a year's salary.  I think that, when the great-looking and noteworthy cars

in any decade become unaffordable, people start looking less to

the convertibles and top-of-the-line models, and appreciate some of

the sedans of that decade;  but they also start looking to

other decades, where there are beautiful cars they can afford.

If you haven't noticed, 1970's cars are being appreciated more:

1977-79 Cadillacs and Lincolns--and Chevrolet Caprices from

the 1980's have some following now too.

I am 65 and had flipped cars since I was a teenager.   I may have had 250-300 cars and trucks.  I had to stop about 5 years ago, as the models I knew, no longer were a good bet to keep flipping for profit.

Here is one point for the older readers here.  When we were younger, a typical car ready for the scrapyard was maybe 90,000 to 100,000 miles.  These days, cars in junkyards have 250,000 to even 300,000 miles.  That tells me that people spend a lot more of their time commuting or driving somewhere.  My point is that the typical person today has far less time for the old hobby of fixing or maintain a collector car.

Back to the topic of "1950s cars":  In the 60s while in high school, we did not need insurance, and license plates were only $12 or so, so we teenagers could easily afford a 2nd "vintage" car, even as a poor school kid.  I had a 56 Chevy Bel-Air hardtop with a 348 Tri-Power, but it really was just a "heap".  But, I recalled it was so cool to have... So, when I turned 40, I wanted to relive my youth and bought a mint black 56 BA hardtop from out west with 327 4 speed, that needed no work at all.  It had 7" ralley wheels with radials, but it felt very heavy and barge-like on handling and stopping.  I guess we forgot how these cars really were, compared to even late 60s-70s cars we had later in life.  So, I only had that 56 a couple of years, as it was not my cup of tea because I apparently was spoiled by newer cars behaviors.

Same is true with a MINT 57 Olds I bought to flip, just like my Dads old 57.  Low mile, never restored, but driving it home 15 miles on back roads, it was white-knuckle.  It had NO road feel at all, just like driving on ice.  It handled awful compared to newer cars, and seemed like it was too wide for the road :) . 

So, nostalgia is better left in our memories of the old days?  ... and is this why Resto-Modded older cars are far more saleable these days?  I might have kept that beautiful black 56 Bel Air if the new modern power steering box kit was available back then, as well as the power brake kit.  That would have made all the difference on that car.

Edited by F&J (see edit history)

Not saying one is better than the other but I find a difference between the car guy whose main/only interest is in the car of choice from his youth and someone who has more of a collector mentality, with interests in different eras.  I tend to gravitate towards people who have more that collector approach even if we do not necessarily love the exact same thing.

I like mainly prewar stuff but like Matt I am a much newer model myself.  I like a few cars from the 50s and 60s as well as some 70s and even 80s models also.  The only thing the market has to do with it is it seems I am one step behind in many cases!!

on the 50's topic- a really nice 57 chevy convertible or nomad still fetches 70-80k............... not so sure the mkt isnt limited in that price range.

While I love both of those models, I have a mostly solid 57 nomad that is worth around 20k.  It is affordable.

in the end, price is at least 90% of the law. if you cant afford it, you wont buy it.

wouldnt we all like to own a Mercer or a Stutz? most of us never will............

Hi guys 

good thread , but being a lover of late forties and fifties till say 56/57 , love the curved lines masses of chrome etc, pure style and elegance. Personally think cars became more boxy from 58 onwards , therefore not so keen on styling with exception of 1960 Buick 225 convertible( on my wish list)

Read with interest some of your theories on reasons for decline in popularity of this era of cars , but Have a slightly different veiw of some of the assumptions 

First I must add that being a Brit , my love of American 50s autos is probably a bit biased, as they were the dream cars of my youth.

Someone mentioned these cars being perhaps perceived as old fashioned as their parents had them. I think standard of living in US must have been better after WW2 as we were by your standards poor , my dad couldn't afford a car until mid 50s and that was a 1932 ford 8 , what we termed a 'banger' , and for the majority of the population it was much the same ,not jealous, but you were lucky if your parents drove new cars at that time , so little chance of an American beauty over here. British cars apart  from top end makes like jaguar etc were boring.My first car in 69 was a 52 Austin A40 , which would have been a dream car to my dad in 52, but in truth was a black blob on wheels , strongly made though like a tank!

I wonder then if we were able to survey a part of the American population who lived through harsh circumstances at that time, I think maybe 50s cars are still popular with them and as their parents never owned such. May be still considered as old fashioned , but no relation to parents having one, but still very desirable.

Also perhaps because quite a few of us are fortunate to own a classic car , like me we have our preferences and this can sometimes influence our perceptions slightly without us realising and thus subconsciously interpret information we consume towards our veiw.

Nearly finished and apologise if I'm  doing a good job annoying a few of you , but just because a model is expensive and is unobtainable to many of us , I don't think that makes it less popular. Personally I think Popularity is about what people like and price change is a win or loss. Wouldn't love my buick any less if it's value falls.  After all l bought a hew juke 2 years ago , dropped 3k as I drove off forecourt, now worth 2/3 what I paid at best. That's life with cars.

cheers

pilgrim??

pilgrim

• Like 1

Pilgrim, stateside, there is a general theory that people are often drawn to cars of their youth and less so eras before or after.  I read recently that with music in the UK, it is kind of interesting that a lot of music crosses generations.  Wonder if that is true of collector car enthusiasts?  I love the greater emphasis on driving the UK and Europe in general seems to be known for.

Funny how a lot of us are drawn to Brit (and other European) cars, while a lot of folks on your side are drawn to our big ponderous cars!  :)

Hi Steve 

i think the US was ahead technically from the mid 30s , having power steering , air con etc years before our standard cars had such options and only after the war  German technology started to lead the way in Europe and personally feel still do. Music wise your right , big Motown and blues fan. Saw the Motown show in London last night, great.

like European cars now , wish list ( actually just dreaming list) M3 BMW , Audi R10, Alfa ,  merc E 350 convertible.

like English 50s sports cars , bought project healey ,currently restoring ,couldn't afford early jag.

just a thought,  note you have merc 560 SL , nice car but not exactly a small car! ?

Cheers

pilgrim

Agree Pilgrim.  Funny on the SL as it looks like a fairly small car next to a '55 - '57 Tbird and a big monster next to a TR-6 (one Brit I had, one of my favorite cars).  The SL cars seem popular in the UK, ever hear of the SL shop - they keep expanding...  Big Healeys are very cool indeed - good luck with the restoration!! I would still like an MG T series, one day... 

50s Chevrolets may have peaked, but 50s Fords seem to be coming up price wise.

Trucks of virtually every year and make are on the rise.

You can literally build a first generation Camaro out of a catalog, so they will be around for a long time.

60s and early 70s muscle cars are big at car corral's (outside of Hershey).

I think we'll see a big decline when people  who grew up in the 80s reach retirement, both from a lack of interest and a lack of memorable cars.

I've been watching car corral's across the country and many of them have declined over the last five years. Hopefully, it's just the economy.

BTW, I'm a decade older than Matthew and still considered "young" in my region. What we all need to do is find persons Matthew's age and younger!

50s Chevrolets may have peaked, but 50s Fords seem to be coming up price wise. 

my take on that is, Fords from the 50's were never as desirable as the Chevys, so again, an affordable price point on the Fords, makes people buy them, when the chevys have priced most out of the mkt.

Nice 55-57 T birds can be bought for 20-25k

try doing that with a 50's vette........................!

I enjoy all sorts of cars--all decades--and it would be

nice to have one from almost every decade, so a person

could sample history and see advancements first-hand.

If 1950's cars level off or become more affordable,

there are a few 1950's cars that I wouldn't mind having.

A "correction" in the pricing might eventually bring about

some more demand.  We'll have to be patient and see what happens---

So a lot depends on where and how you grew up. My first, a Jag XK-150s, was a 4 year old car when I bought it and Not An E-Type. Even pristine the resale was nonexistent, about 10% of an E. Also cars depreciated faster then - a 10 year old with 100k was ready for the recycling center.

Did have dream cars that will never have - then it was either a Facel Vega HK-500 or a 57 3/4 size replica Caddy (one with the stainless roof & dual quads) but have always enjoyed the driving more than the viewing. Sure, I had a poster of a Lola GT but found a GT-40 quite uncomfortable. Today the Crossie is the equivalent of that Jag, just with a 6 speed and faster.

Bottom line, everyone's opinion is correct for them & location has as much of a bearing as year. At the same time everyone here has more in common with each other than the bulk of the pospulation. At least we no longer need to hide any interest in cars.  My HS years just happened to be where Jags were more common than a tripower chevvy.

Could it be that even 50's car enthusiasts are a little burnt out on tri-five Chevys?  I mean I like them (especially the not as often seen '55) but '57 and to some degree '56 seems to have been over exposed in my humble opinion.... kind of like early Mustangs.  They almost seem a dime a dozen.

• Like 1

Great topic!  I have had these same thoughts too, about the aging population.  Many of the older guys are selling off their cars.   I don't see many Model A's at car shows nor do I know many guys who follow them.  I love cars from the 50's the best but I like all antique or classic to about 1971.  My first hobby car was 1956 Olds 88.  No power steering, no power brakes.  I admit it wasn't as much fun to drive as I had envisioned. Then I got a 1955 Olds 98 with power steeering and power brakes and power windows and power seat, even had power antenna.  It was very comfortable to drive and I enjoyed driving it much more than the 1956.  Then came the 1971 Chevelle Malibu 350 convertible, a very fun car but too much plastic and not enought chrome for me.  I am now looking for a 1956 Buick Roadmaster coupe or hardtop.  They seem to still be priced high.  Someday we will all leave our cars behind so my plan is to enjoy them while I can, especially during the next five years.  

• Like 2

"Time waits for no one" Not even us Babyboomers who consider ourselves invincible and still in charge. Being born in 1955 I've always had a love for 50's cars. Still do. Dont have one because I just can't afford to drive, pay to storage,pay to maintain,etc, for a vehicle that may get only 5-700 miles a year. I live in a medium size city not too far from nice back roads but the caliber of drivers who don't see you or don't care if you have drum brakes that can't match modern stopping distances has risen to epidemic levels.

Even a mid 60's full size can be hectic. Maybe it's just my old age paranoia, but the decline is in full swing!

45 minutes ago, olds88 said:

Great topic!  I have had these same thoughts too, about the aging population.  Many of the older guys are selling off their cars.   I don't see many Model A's at car shows nor do I know many guys who follow them.  I love cars from the 50's the best but I like all antique or classic to about 1971.  My first hobby car was 1956 Olds 88.  No power steering, no power brakes.  I admit it wasn't as much fun to drive as I had envisioned. Then I got a 1955 Olds 98 with power steeering and power brakes and power windows and power seat, even had power antenna.  It was very comfortable to drive and I enjoyed driving it much more than the 1956.  Then came the 1971 Chevelle Malibu 350 convertible, a very fun car but too much plastic and not enought chrome for me.  I am now looking for a 1956 Buick Roadmaster coupe or hardtop.  They seem to still be priced high.  Someday we will all leave our cars behind so my plan is to enjoy them while I can, especially during the next five years.  

This is why I should have modified my last 56 Chevy even more than it was when I bought it.   It really needed the "modern" type power steering box with the fast ratio, not the half-azzed 50s type "power assisted" manual box that was a slow ratio.  Those old systems are terrible for handling and lack of road feel.  And I should have also added a power brake booster to the stock drum brakes.  Then I could have enjoyed the car.

Some people get so upset when you change an old car, as "everything" must stay stock.  That is why most vintage cars never get driven much, because they are no fun in todays real world conditions.  So I say, yes, enjoy the car even if it means modernizing it.  Why save the stock virginity for someone else, after you are dead.  Enjoy it now, and forget the silly show car awards that the trailer queens are after....  the only driving those get, is going on/off the trailer.

When someone is smiling/waving at your car as they pass by in the opposite direction, do you think they really give a thought to if it is pure stock underneath?..or care?

• Like 2

While this is an interesting discussion, I think several people have basically identified these price trends as the result of population demographics.  I think it boils down to the fact that people want cars that they can relate to, which usually means cars that were around them when they were growing up.  That's the rationale behind each of my cars.  So, at least in my case, the only value that is of any concern to me is my opinion and the pleasure my cars give me.  I do not intend to sell any of them and my heirs can decide whether they have developed similar feelings for them, or whether it would be better to pass them on to others who will appreciate them.

1 minute ago, victorialynn2 said:

So does that mean that possibly '70's cars are at the bottom and ready to rise?

I think so.  It's already happening in the increases seen recently in Bandit Trans Ams and even mid-70s Z28s.  VL's '79 Town Car certainly has cleaned-up nicely and I'll bet it is on someone's 'bucket list'.  It's just a matter of finding that person, which will be a little harder than moving that black & gold '77 TA, but someone will give it the love it deserves...  ;)

• Like 1

I think the main point of the article is that prices have generally leveled out . The good ones are still quite expensive, just not getting more expensive.  In my area there still seems to be quite a bit of interest in 1950's cars. But 2 door HT's and converts are out of reach for many.

Greg in Canada

19 minutes ago, EmTee said:

I think it boils down to the fact that people want cars that they can relate to, which usually means cars that were around them when they were growing up.

I have questioned that thought of my own tastes...  I can't figure out why, at 65 years old, I am fixated on 1932 US Autos.

Growing up in the 50s, my Dad ran his own repair shop, and he often roadtested many cars home overnight that I saw in our driveway.  I found old repair receipt copies showing that a few were later 40s but the majority were 50s.   Never saw an older one in our driveway or on the road.

1955 dated photos I took with a brownie camera when someone let me use it for a day, I took a picture of a weird car at a body shop nearby. Years later, I found that picture and it was a 37 Chevy coupe....not a 32 :)

I did start to build plastic models in 59 or so, so maybe that's where I first saw a 1932 car?   Or, in around 61-62 when we moved to the country, a local teenager car freak was getting free old cars from farmers, etc.  One I cannot forget, was when I showed up at their house on the dirt road, and he was towing a 32 Chevy dual sidemount car made into a pickup, trying to get it to pull-start with his Moms 56 Ford wagon and a chain.    Maybe that's where I got hooked on 32 Autos?  I do recall impressive shiny chrome on bumpers, grille, hubcaps, and I think even the hood vent doors.  It was black, so it was a good contrast.

So I should be more hooked on 50s, but I'm not.

• Like 1

Born in 1950, dropped off for the day at the local HCCA Fall Meet that had a 1941 cut off date when I was 10 years old, got hooked then and there. I've always looked at cars and trucks built in my lifetime as tow vehicle for pre WWII vehicles, race cars and sports cars are an exception. Bob

I've also been the type who prefers vehicles built before I was born. The 3 I currently have are that, and thusly are at least 20 yrs older than 'what I remember'.
I've owned 23 vehicles, and the average model year is the year I was born.

What I can not understand is the complaints about how the cars in the 1950's handled . I have never owned a 1950's car but grew up riding in them as a child . I owned a 1926 Reo Sedan and currently rebuilding a 1931 Reo Royale Victoria . Those are a struggle to drive a car . I never would of thought a 1950's car could be so hard to drive ? ?

How did Lucy and Ricky ever drive that 1953 Mercury Monterey in The Long Long Trailer ?

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

4 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

So does that mean that possibly '70's cars are at the bottom and ready to rise?

Here is a nice '79.

I agree with EmTee and also answer "yes."

The rise in interest may be so gradual that one hardly notices it, though.

And one never really knows which cars will be the most popular.

Maybe Ford Mavericks and Pintos will become a fad and go through the roof!

Victoria Lynn, your 1979 Lincoln is unusual, in that it was popular

almost from new!  The 1977-79 Lincoln Continentals and Mark V's

sold extremely well, more than any Lincolns before them.  The

demand was dampened a bit part-way through the 1979 model year

as a temporary world oil crisis hit, and I read that 1979 Lincolns

then languished on dealers' lots.  Nevertheless, many 1977-79 Lincolns,

especially 1979's, got saved as "the last of the [big] luxury cars."

They were like 1976 Cadillac Eldorado convertibles in that respect.

Lincolns' new-car prices did not hold up, of course, but there has

been an interest in those cars ever since.

But if anyone likes 1970's cars, get them while they're cheap!

Many models are already being lost and are not easy to find.

A couple of examples, among many, would be 1971-76

General Motors station wagons with the "disappearing tailgate,"

and late-1970's Dodge Royal Monacos of any body style:

1977 Dodge Royal Monaco wagon.jpg

1975 Chevrolet station wagon 3.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Steve 

i think the US was ahead technically from the mid 30s , having power steering , air con etc years before our standard cars had such options and only after the war  German technology started to lead the way in Europe and personally feel still do. Music wise your right , big Motown and blues fan. Saw the Motown show in London last night, great.

like European cars now , wish list ( actually just dreaming list) M3 BMW , Audi R10, Alfa ,  merc E 350 convertible.

like English 50s sports cars , bought project healey ,currently restoring ,couldn't afford early jag.

just a thought,  note you have merc 560 SL , nice car but not exactly a small car! ?

Cheers

pilgrim

Think my above post may be a duplicate, don't know how to remove.

anyhow been reading the recent interesting posts on this thread , three things caught my eye.

lucky chap who started with a four year old XK 150 , some entry level! One of my favourite British cars.

liked the comment about other drivers thoughts when they flash recognition 

agree , driving some 50s cars like mine without  power this and that ,is sometimes a challenge , but you soon adapt and that's part of the fun,  

and folks around at that time coped well and thought it normal, just we are spoilt with our newer cars.

Cheers

pilgrim

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Mark Gregory said:

What I can not understand is the complaints about how the cars in the 1950's handled . I have never owned a 1950's car but grew up riding in them as a child . I owned a 1926 Reo Sedan and currently rebuilding a 1931 Reo Royale Victoria . Those are a struggle to drive a car . I never would of thought a 1950's car could be so hard to drive ? ?

How did Lucy and Ricky ever drive that Mercury Monterey in The Long Long Trailer ?

I love driving my stock '53 Special.  The bias ply tires aren't good on today's grooved highways, but you get used to it, and I could fix that by putting radials on it.  Of course it doesn't handle well around corners, but it's not a white knuckler or anything.  I cruise down the road at 60 and it's fine.  On the other hand, my newest car is a '74 Firebird, and it is leaps and bounds ahead of all my other cars in roadability, so I can agree that cars came a long way in 20 years.  I'll turn 40 this year, and I've been driving my '65 Mustang for 23 years with no power steering or brakes, so I guess I just never had time for new cars to spoil me all that much.  In fact, I love when the weather warms up and I step out of the daily driver and drive the old junkers more often. :)  

001a.JPG

005b.JPG

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Aaron65 said:

I love driving my stock '53 Special. ...  In fact, I love when the weather warms up and I step out of the daily driver and drive the old junkers more often. :)  

Beautiful 1953 Buick, Aaron.  Good styling, and

that's an excellent color combination I haven't seen.

I agree with you:  I have no problem driving the

older cars, and my 1957 Buick doesn't have

power steering or power brakes.  I look forward

to getting behind the wheel of one of my old cars on tours,

or for a pleasant summer-evening drive, several days a week

in good weather.  I even bought a 1916 car a few years ago

to experience that decade, and have driven it regularly too.

I have no boundaries as to year or model. I tend to lean towards the ones that are unique, different and low production numbers. The under laying thing said here I believe is a concern that the money invested in a car is expected to turn a gain if we wanted, or have to sell the vehicles. The perfect vehicle for this is in the mind of the buy. Also, who doesn't want to be driving the one that turns eyes and gets the thumbs up and wins the Awards? As for style,  we are AACA and as a Club the standards have been set as to what we are to judge a car by. AACA pretty much looks at Original Show Room condition to be the mark to hit regardless of year, or Original untouched condition still functional and complete.  The general public to a degree understands this and if you watch the Auctions on TV these are the cars that get the majority of the time on the screen and the top dollars. Some of the Shows where they make street rods and such actually promote Originality when they get an Original complete car and will flip it, or do a restoration to it rather then cut it up to be a custom street rod. They see the value of Originality. Back to the Topic, 1950's cars like all other years will rise and fall many times over a period of time. So, it's like investment in anything, its a crap shoot. 

Edited by Doug Novak (see edit history)

Guess part of my problem is that I was there, involved in racing & a GM employee, and know what the people who made the cars in the early 70's thought of them. Most were overweight, underpowered, and more bling than substance. '70s also marked the rise of the now unobtanium plastic pieces that crumbled away after a few years (3D printing has yet to step up). By the '80s we were stating to get computers, FI, overdrive/lockup transmissions, and a few attempts to hide the federal bumpers. Gearheads were starting to come out of the closet they had been in since the '73 "fuel crisis". The '90s gave a return of horsepower, and today we are back at the 60's mantra of better/more powerful cars every year.

Which leaves styling. For forty years there was a battle for the automakers to stay alive. First the 55 mph speed limit gave imports that would buzz you to death at 70 a chance to develop cars for the American mass market. Suddenly small was in. Meanwhile the majors were nearing and entering bankruptcy. There was little money for R&D.

Not to say there were not a few high spots, in the early 80s each GM division was allowed to develop a "halo" car. Chevvy had Corvette, Cadillac Allante, Pontiac Fiero, and Buick Reatta. Oldsmobile took a different direction with the Bravada which was GMs first SUV. However all were cam in iron block engines with no VVT and torque peaks rather than the plateaus we know today.

So really for forty years we had the perception that the 50's and 60's were a high point of automobiles in America when styling and horsepower were king. This decade is different and both are back and now in dash displays (TVs in cars used to be illegal), hands free phones, and anywhere/anytime Internet is here. Being interested in cars is ok again but newcomers are being torn in ways we could not conceive back then when the Bobby Riggs vs Billie Jean King match was more interesting than gasoline prices.

From 1973 to about 2003, car nuts had to essentially go into hiding and the current reality shows on Discovery and Velocity, bad as some may be, have brought the hobby back into respectability if fragmented six ways from Sunday. These are the good old days.

ps "How did Lucy and Ricky ever drive that Mercury Monterey in The Long Long Trailer ?" - "special effects".

Edited by padgett (see edit history)