Ready for a laugh?

victorialynn2

Jingle for the mechanics only lonely hearts service......

"Knucklebusters Kneed Luv Too"

I've got the blues, those Terraplane Blues.

I've got the blues, those Terraplane Blues.

Ain't got no hat, ain't got no shoes.

substitute Ford Shoebox, Corvair SpyderHot Rod Lincoln, etcetera

come at this from the tune "Nashville Blues"

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Dan Marx said:

Well folks, I guess I have a different perspective on this topic.  Yes, I don't need to sell the parts or cars to eat, any cars I have or will have when it is time to "be called up yonder" will have no meaning to my wife or heirs.  I play with stuff to keep my sanity as i grow older, anxiety, depression, arthritis, ..........  Sure I have 5000 gas caps in the loft, lots of parts to sell at swap meets, occasionally, and a couple of cars that I have some money in.  They owe me nothing, there is not a  lean on anything.  So, If I am building a harp in the wood shop, or playing a medieval CRWTH I just finished, or working on my V-12, '42 for Ford Franken hearse, I had an enjoyable, relaxing time learning something new in life. Sorry, but I am just not concerned about the stuff in the garage when my time comes.  My wife is secure for the rest of her life, and my grand kids don't care about car stuff.  

Bit off topic but you wouldn't have a float gas level gauge for a 22 caddy?

I have watched that same story unfold many times. One great thing your local chapter members can do is form a delegation to sit down with members who tend to leave quarter tips from an old leather change purse or calculate, to the penny, a lunch bill for the group. Those would be the first ones to get a little consultation from their friends about what they are setting the family up for.

Starting in the hobby at 11 years old had always put me in an older social group and it was noticeable. I purposely held an evening job as an apprenticeship instructor to associate with younger people during my 30's and 40's. You get so you can recognize the types. A herd of goats look pretty much alike driving by a field, but the farmer who owns then knows each one; not that the car hobby is like a herd of old goats.

Bernie

• Like 2

Yes, and not just with cars.  My wife was months going through her dad's stuff when he passed, as he held onto everything it seems he ever acquired in addition to his parent's and grandparent's stuff.  She had to take several months off.  It is not a fun task and financially likely a loser - Victoria Lynn is selling nice cars, but it is definitely more of a "right thing to do" approach than for financial gain.  In our case, wife was concerned important things would be lost to the ages if we had someone in to do it, so it was a full time job for her.  I won't put anyone through that.

One might be ahead of the game to consign it all or auction it, but sometimes that is not as clean as one thinks, and the tougher stuff to get rid of is what is left.

We have discussed, and have at least a basic plan.  In general, running complete vehicles sell easier.  A personal decision but I will not have more than one project car at a time, in part for planning for the unforeseen.  I am a long way from liquidating but would likely do so before leaving the task to my son as he has a passing interest at best and would likely only want one car. 

No one wants to make it difficult on their heirs, but having some sort of plan is a basic I think.

Victoria Lynn, even if you don't start your website having a sense of humor about it helps a lot - we still laugh about the three large dumpster loads and the antics to stuff whatever we could to maximize them - trash truck was definitely loaded to capacity..  Hang in there!

• Like 2

Found something interesting with Novell Netware of that era. Put a sniffer on the line and capture the username and "encrypted" password. Play the whole thing back later and you were in (part of the reason they offered a job).

ps when men of my acquaintance gather, the bill is paid with a pile in the middle of the table making sure there is a 20-25% To Insure Promptness.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Victorialynn2,

My father-in-law (may he rest in peace) was power of attorney and executor for his three "Old Maid" Aunt's. When the last one had to finally go into a nursing home he decided to have a reputable Auction Company come in like Auburnseeker suggested. You have to understand that the family was a large French Canadian one and most felt they were going to come in and take what they felt they wanted.

The house was in an old section of the city and was like going back to the turn of the century (think 1900's). They even had an icebox in the back room/porch they called the "summer kitchen".

Once it was explained to them the proceeds were going towards the cost of keeping Aunt Marie in the nursing home, things calmed down a lot.

It was not quite as successful as he would have liked but...

like antique cars, are they ever really?

Wishing you and your Dad all the best.

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Yes, and not just with cars.  My wife was months going through her dad's stuff when he passed, as he held onto everything it seems he ever acquired in addition to his parent's and grandparent's stuff.  She had to take several months off.  It is not a fun task and financially likely a loser - Victoria Lynn is selling nice cars, but it is definitely more of a "right thing to do" approach than for financial gain.  In our case, wife was concerned important things would be lost to the ages if we had someone in to do it, so it was a full time job for her.  I won't put anyone through that.

One might be ahead of the game to consign it all or auction it, but sometimes that is not as clean as one thinks, and the tougher stuff to get rid of is what is left.

We have discussed, and have at least a basic plan.  In general, running complete vehicles sell easier.  A personal decision but I will not have more than one project car at a time, in part for planning for the unforeseen.  I am a long way from liquidating but would likely do so before leaving the task to my son as he has a passing interest at best and would likely only want one car. 

No one wants to make it difficult on their heirs, but having some sort of plan is a basic I think.

Victoria Lynn, even if you don't start your website having a sense of humor about it helps a lot - we still laugh about the three large dumpster loads and the antics to stuff whatever we could to maximize them - trash truck was definitely loaded to capacity..  Hang in there!

I can not even tell you how many boxes of stuff there are. He never threw away one card or letter, or electric bill from the 70's! I can't just dump them all because there is sensitive financial and personal info mixed in. Almost every box has a few pictures or military trinkets/awards or other sentimental items, so I relate to what you wife went through. I won't even mention the mouse droppings, brown recluse, black widows and salamanders. It's the kind of job that litterly could make you very sick, or even kill you, if your not careful. Its is all very time consuming. 

Dad left multiple project cars. They are harder to sell, and it's tough sometimes to know what parts goes with what. He's pretry organized but I have found interiors, for example above his office. Who would have thought? Also there are so many flathead, Model T and Corvair parts that I want to burn the building down. Even when I have people tell me what's what, it's hard to remember and the research to price it all is a job all by itself. He has about 50 small cars (Danbury, Franklin Mint) to clean, photograph, try to put back in the box (not successful with even one yet), research price, eBay, ship, etc, for $100 even is way too time consuming and frustrating with so much else going on. They may be donated or thrown away. Then there's the magazines and Hemming's, etc from the 70's on. I need a dumpster just for that. And also the parts, another mess. There's a lot to do that an auction won't help with and the location is remote also. Then consider that he's still alive so I am working away from him when I'm in Texas and at 81, he has health issues. One year he fractured his hip while I was here and I didn't know if he'd survive surgery or if I'd see him alive again. I couldn't just leave because travel is too expensive to leave before I was done what needed to be done. If you don't have Alzheimers covered care, and most people don't, and not a lot of liquid cash, (care can be 5-10k a month!), someone has to sell the cars to pay for care. The VA, Medicare (as long as you have cars, you won't qualify for Medicare) and many plans won't pay until the person needs substantial help with 3 or more activities of daily living. Basically you need to be in a state where you can't bathe, toilet, dress, eat, or stand. I'm not talking you need a little help, but you can't do it almost at all. So if you leave a loved one with the cars to deal with, and your a financial burden, and they are concerned about you and emotional, well, you can see my point. 

I'm not trying to whine, I just want you'all to see it from another perspective. It's definitely the right thing, not the cost effective thing to do in my case. Some days I feel blessed at the very personal peak I'm getting into my father's life; and some days I don't want to get out of bed and go to the garage. Just dealing with his health and medical stuff would have been enough to handle by itself. My dad never considered any of this and frankly I wouldn't have either. I've had many blessings, and no family sticking their nose in and bothering me. The State of Oregon is another matter due to Guardianship, but that's another story. 

10 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

I won't even mention the mouse droppings, brown recluse, black widows and salamanders. It's the kind of job that litterly could make you very sick, or even kill you, if your not careful. Its is all very time consuming. 

We have some of those same little pests here. I was bolting on the roll pan on my truck in the driveway this summer, only to look over and see this little guy looking at me. These can not kill you, but it does grab your attention.

shop_truck_048.JPG

shop_truck_056.JPG

13 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

We have some of those same little pests here. I was bolting on the roll pan on my truck in the driveway this summer, only to look over and see this little guy looking at me. These can not kill you, but it does grab your attention.

shop_truck_048.JPG

shop_truck_056.JPG

Yes, it would get mine. There are all manner of snakes here too. Don't walk the property without my boots on!

22 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

I can not even tell you how many boxes of stuff there are. He never threw away one card or letter, or electric bill from the 70's! I can't just dump them all because there is sensitive financial and personal info mixed in. Almost every box has a few pictures or military trinkets/awards or other sentimental items, so I relate to what you wife went through. I won't even mention the mouse droppings, brown recluse, black widows and salamanders. It's the kind of job that litterly could make you very sick, or even kill you, if your not careful. Its is all very time consuming. 

Dad left multiple project cars. They are harder to sell, and it's tough sometimes to know what parts goes with what. He's pretry organized but I have found interiors, for example above his office. Who would have thought? Also there are so many flathead, Model T and Corvair parts that I want to burn the building down. Even when I have people tell me what's what, it's hard to remember and the research to price it all is a job all by itself. He has about 50 small cars (Danbury, Franklin Mint) to clean, photograph, try to put back in the box (not successful with even one yet), research price, eBay, ship, etc, for $100 even is way too time consuming and frustrating with so much else going on. They may be donated or thrown away. Then there's the magazines and Hemming's, etc from the 70's on. I need a dumpster just for that. And also the parts, another mess. There's a lot to do that an auction won't help with and the location is remote also. Then consider that he's still alive so I am working away from him when I'm in Texas and at 81, he has health issues. One year he fractured his hip while I was here and I didn't know if he'd survive surgery or if I'd see him alive again. I couldn't just leave because travel is too expensive to leave before I was done what needed to be done. If you don't have Alzheimers covered care, and most people don't, and not a lot of liquid cash, (care can be 5-10k a month!), someone has to sell the cars to pay for care. The VA, Medicare (as long as you have cars, you won't qualify for Medicare) and many plans won't pay until the person needs substantial help with 3 or more activities of daily living. Basically you need to be in a state where you can't bathe, toilet, dress, eat, or stand. I'm not talking you need a little help, but you can't do it almost at all. So if you leave a loved one with the cars to deal with, and your a financial burden, and they are concerned about you and emotional, well, you can see my point. 

I'm not trying to whine, I just want you'all to see it from another perspective. It's definitely the right thing, not the cost effective thing to do in my case. Some days I feel blessed at the very personal peak I'm getting into my father's life; and some days I don't want to get out of bed and go to the garage. Just dealing with his health and medical stuff would have been enough to handle by itself. My dad never considered any of this and frankly I wouldn't have either. I've had many blessings, and no family sticking their nose in and bothering me. The State of Oregon is another matter due to Guardianship, but that's another story. 

Hi V.L.,

I am thinking your Mom is not there, the work for you to get through it all seems never ending.

I have been there, just like you.

My Mom passed first, then my Dad.

The sorting, cleaning, selling and pitching stuff out took me from the month of April to the following December.

Your situation is somewhat different because, being that your Dad is alive, you are providing an income for him, as you forge through his valuables.

You have to make a decision to sell piece by piece  OR, as already noted, auction items off or sell everything to an interested party.

Another thought.

Folks buy estates, but the income for your Dad will go from a "retail point of view" to " wholesale" in this manner.

You won't miss a beat, with your career, real estate lives on,  think of the TEXAS scenario as a temporary fork in the road.

You, as his daughter, are doing what many children would never consider doing for their parent.

I applaud you for your decision. Hugs to you for being a thoughtful daughter.

For me, I'm preparing for my time by selling off parts and pieces now, while I am clear.

I am hoping my day will come with all my valuables sold or spent, my bank account at zero ....... and a big smile on my face in my pine box.

Amen.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bobg1951chevy said:

Hi V.L.,

I am thinking your Mom is not there, the work for you to get through it all seems never ending.

I have been there, just like you.

My Mom passed first, then my Dad.

The sorting, cleaning, selling and pitching stuff out took me from the month of April to the following December.

Your situation is somewhat different because, being that your Dad is alive, you are providing an income for him, as you forge through his valuables.

You have to make a decision to sell piece by piece  OR, as already noted, auction items off or sell everything to an interested party.

Another thought.

Folks buy estates, but the income for your Dad will go from a "retail point of view" to " wholesale" in this manner.

You won't miss a beat, with your career, real estate lives on,  think of the TEXAS scenario as a temporary fork in the road.

You, as his daughter, are doing what many children would never consider doing for their parent.

I applaud you for your decision. Hugs to you for being a thoughtful daughter.

For me, I'm preparing for my time by selling off parts and pieces now, while I am clear.

I am hoping my day will come with all my valuables sold or spent, my bank account at zero ....... and a big smile on my face in my pine box.

Amen.

Thanks my friend. I like your exit plan!

my father had remarried and his wife of 10 years had left him and was trying to, well let's say she and the DIL were committing multiple felonies. I had to take care of that and legal matters when I first got here 2 1/2 years ago. That is why a 1 week visit turned into 5 months before taking my father home with me. I am lucky I got here while he could still make legal choices. 

• Like 1

Another consideration about an estate sale, besides having so much non valuable stuff to go through and isolated location, is the tax consequences. I would have had much less to pay for dads care and had no $$ set aside to pay 5k a month or more for any length of time. My income even with his retirement couldn't cover that and upkeep of his properties while I liquidated. I could no longer take care of him alone and had no idea what would happen if I couldn't pay. I feared for him and also loosing guardianship and ability to make his medical and financial decisions. I was trying to keep many balls in the air without dropping them and didn't have as many options as you might think. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I told the wife,  worst case scenario,  call in an auctioneer.  They will clean the place out,  right down to the pile of scrap metal in the corner if you get the right auctioneer.  You may not get top dollar,  but you get one check when they are done and you have minimal work to do.  I have alot of advertising and a few good cars , so I'm pretty sure they would be interested in doing a sale.  I even have one that specializes in advertising and has pretty good knowledge of cars picked out that would be more than happy to take it on if necessary. 

I'm only 42 so I'm hoping for atleast a few more good years. 

I recently moved my shop and seriously culled my parts inventory so that will make things much simpler.   We have 3 young kids and it's written in the will that they each get to pick a car if they want one.   Of course that's if the wife and I go at the same time.   She has a pretty good knowledge of cars and even parts values as well,  so that will help if she decides to take it on her self. 

Beach boys,  you can't go wrong with Shutdown. 

There are certain days where Schlock Rod Seems more fitting though. 

I had a neighbor that died suddenly a few years ago.

He had two kids and two step kids that didn't get along.

Long story short, the place sat for several years and then they had an auction.

He had many cars and piles of parts and several unique collections. (trains, mail boxes, sales brochures. on and on)The auction guys came in and sold off EVERYTHING. Right down to the scrap piles and fire wood, Even hay bales brought a couple of bucks.

Probably not the top dollar, but the place had much better curb appeal after that sale.

I bought two vehicles and some tools,

So, my take. Put the cars that the kids want into their names and auction the rest.

• Like 1

Victoria Lynn,

I have enjoyed reading your posts over the last few months as I am in similar situation. My Dad died a year ago and my Mom has Alzheimer's. They lived three hours away. She lived with us for a month till we could get her in a Senior Living apartment that had care. Moved her again this summer to a memory unit in the same building. My dad had six collector cars and lots of parts and the also collected lots of other stuff. It took five weekends to get the stuff out of the attics to get ready for the auction. I am a car nut  too with five collector cars, antique Motor .Home(HPOF at Hershey) and my wife's antique boat. Dad TOD's the cars to me requested by me. I am a only child and my Mom does not need the money for her support. So now I have 11 collector cars ranging from 1909-1996

along with a Motorhome and boat along with lots of parts. It has taken all of my free time this past year to add lifts in my barn, have a loft built for the parts and move everything along with dealing with my Mom.  Almost ready to put the house up for sale. My wife and daughters wonder why I am keeping everything and why I need two 1912 Buick Model 35's. One is a McLaughlin I bought and the other was my Dad's and is an American version nearly fully restored that I would like to show at AACA events. At that point I may sell one or both. Except for a project 48 Caddy Convt, all run but a couple need some mechanical sorting for tours. Parting with most would be difficult as one is the car I came home from the Hospital (1957 T-Bird 24000miles),one is the first car I drove at 13(1911 Model T Ford) another is the car I took the drivers test, first date, prom and was in when I heard Elvis died(1967 Camero RS Convt) and another is my first car I purchased in 1980 used in our wedding, brought both kids home from the hospital etc(1966 Chevy Impala Convt). Several I plan to have this coming summer for my daughters wedding party.

I have been hearing a lot of "what of we going to do with this stuff" from my wife and daughters who have no interest and live in Perth AU and Denver, Co. While my Aussie Daughter is engaged to a great guy she met in Perth who also has no interest in cars, I am hoping the Denver girl may find a guy with interest or have kids that I can influence. Baring that, I plan to sell most of the parts from cars I do not have at Hershey over the next few years and get thing organized so my wife or kids can do an auction. I will probably sell some as I age. I am 58 now so hope to have some time to enjoy them on tours.

I your case, I would seriously look into an auction to be done with it. Been lots of auctions in very rural places like Kansas, Nebraska etc over the years advertised in Hemmings. You need to get on with your life and get your income going again so you can retire some day. That would be my advise as a car guy, financial advisor and parent. Unless you can find a great source of income in rural Texas that can allow you to take your time liquidating the stuff, I would say auction it off even it if means lower proceeds. Your loss of income at your stage of life is not good financially and mentally. Hopefully you can keep one of the cars and we can see you on a tour or show.

Best of Luck,

Tom Muth

Cincinnati, Ohio

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JACK M said:

I had a neighbor that died suddenly a few years ago.

He had two kids and two step kids that didn't get along.

Long story short, the place sat for several years and then they had an auction.

He had many cars and piles of parts and several unique collections. (trains, mail boxes, sales brochures. on and on)The auction guys came in and sold off EVERYTHING. Right down to the scrap piles and fire wood, Even hay bales brought a couple of bucks.

Probably not the top dollar, but the place had much better curb appeal after that sale.

I bought two vehicles and some tools,

So, my take. Put the cars that the kids want into their names and auction the rest.

I'm glad that worked for you. Trust me I looked at all options. No one that knows the situation fully thought that was a good option in my case. It's too late now with just a few project cars left to sell. 

You have my sympathy Victoria and this is going to be a problem for many people.  I would also encourage all old car guys to have a plan for the sake of your heirs and your cars well-being. 

My dad died about 10 years ago leaving behind my mother and four boys who have, shall we say, differing values.  After 7 years or so all survivors agreed to an auction to dispose of most of the many non-automotive antiques and collectibles he left behind.  Some items went for much less than he paid, some were better, it all probably evened out and as someone suggested we were left with an empty garage and a check, much to my satisfaction.  However, it still required work from us and struggle for consensus on our end and the auction ended up taking 20-25% of the proceeds.

We did not deal with the old cars and parts at that time and as such another 2-3 years has passed with no action.  My mother is almost 75 and would probably appreciate downsizing but two brothers are either living at her home or using it for storage, so both have an interest in the status-quo.  They also both demonstrate inflated ideas on potential values.  The other two also do nothing since any comment on the home or cars is considered a personal criticism by the others.  I bet there are a thousand stories like ours and a thousand more like Victoria’s out there, I urge all our participants to formulate some kind of plan to help avoid leaving such a burden, Todd C      

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Really that's the only reason I bring it up, for awareness. People underestimate what will happen when they are gone. 

Indeed, and in my case the heirs are (more or less) lucid and able bodied and still can't agree to get the job done. 

From your perspective Victoria I hope you have found the forum (more or less) helpful.  We may differ in approach and clarity but will try to give sound advice knowing what details we are given and without some of the bias of local "friends" interested in buying the items for a song, Todd C

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, poci1957 said:

Indeed, and in my case the heirs are (more or less) lucid and able bodied and still can't agree to get the job done. 

From your perspective Victoria I hope you have found the forum (more or less) helpful.  We may differ in approach and clarity but will try to give sound advice knowing what details we are given and without some of the bias of local "friends" interested in buying the items for a song, Todd C

It has been very helpful. The most of all Forums I've been in. 

3 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Really that's the only reason I bring it up, for awareness. People underestimate what will happen when they are gone. 

Many people choose to put their heads in the sand, when thinking or talking about death.

DENIAL.

But, in all fairness, it is a tough subject to discuss.

• Like 1

When I had a similar problem a few years back when my Father died we went the wholesale route. Luckily my Mother didn't need the money to live as she had been, so the difference between retail and wholesale was acceptable. I only lived 500 miles away but figured it would take all my free time plus for 10 years to get something close to retail and we took an offer of roughly 10 cents on the dollar, plus rent on the building while they took a year and half to clean it out. My Mother was happy and I didn't have to put my life on hold. When my Mother's time comes we will probably have an auction for the household collection. Both parents are/were collectors of many things.

I went a long way to lighten the load of my own stuff by moving 700 miles, got rid of about 2/3rds of my accumulation, most at wholesale or below, but it is gone. Haven't missed many things and sometimes wish I would have moved less stuff.

• Like 1

I bought a lot of new old stock trim parts 1967 Alfa Romeo for only $150 off eBay and it was listed by an outfit that lists stuff for people if they just drop it off and they take a percentage and handle the shipping too. It must have been items from an estate as no living Alfa Romeo owner would have done that.

I felt guilty buying that stuff, picked it up in person. I would have given the sellers extra.

I sold the NOS bumper for $1200 which was probably less than I could have gotten, and the set of hubcaps for $250, and am keeping the grill and a few other things. Together I think the stuff I got for $150 was worth $2,000+. It was listed as being used, needing polishing. It was NOS in the original factory sealed plastic bags, no polishing needed.

If someone were to sell off my stuff I think items worth $300 would be gotten rid of fro $20.

So I should time it well. Sell it off myself just before I get ready to be put in the home.

• Like 1

This is an important thread. Thanks for it.  

An elderly friend of mine who was in the hobby passed away this year with no living partner or heirs.  The executor of the estate was a family friend who had no familiarity with the hobby, and he really struggled to figure out what to do with all the stuff in the house and in the garage. Even just things like flagging what might be valuable and what isn't valuable, or what a particular part is and what car it fits, can make a big difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFranklin said:

With no heirs it makes things real easy, will it all to your favorite charity and go in peace.

It's certainly easier, I agree, but it may not be easy to will "that garage full of old car parts" to the Nature Conservancy.   Whoever figures out what to do with it needs to know what it is and how best to sell it.

• Like 1

the tricky part is always logistics.  Short somewhat unrelated story that I think relates to the common problem here.

This past weekend we helped move adult son from one apt. to another one.  He was also taking a bedroom set that is less than 5 years old and some other furniture out of our house.  We hired pros to move all the stuff but upon arrival found out that the two dressers would not fit up the stairs.  So situation is, he is a new tenant who now has two big pieces of furniture that need to be disposed of ASAP - LL let him keep it in a garage, but only temporary as it is assigned to another unit.  We have plans for the space and do not want to incur the expense to bring the two pieces we do not want back to the house.  Our son was uncomfortable keeping these on premises for more than a few days - again new tenant and does not want to start off on the wrong foot.

Bottom line - we ended up paying a small fee for a town permit and they picked them up.  Now, do these items have some value, sure not old or broken, but logistics dictated getting rid of them - essentially a headache - quickly.  Not so much the money, but I hate to waste good items, yet sometimes you just need to make those decisions.  Not unlike the Alfa parts, whoever had to dispose just plain may not have had the time or inclination to seek out the best way to dispose of them.  At least they didn't go to waste and Mike made a little money for doing what the person disposing of them could not or would not do.  That is a win all around I think.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

the tricky part is always logistics.  Short somewhat unrelated story that I think relates to the common problem here.

This past weekend we helped move adult son from one apt. to another one.  He was also taking a bedroom set that is less than 5 years old and some other furniture out of our house.  We hired pros to move all the stuff but upon arrival found out that the two dressers would not fit up the stairs.  So situation is, he is a new tenant who now has two big pieces of furniture that need to be disposed of ASAP - LL let him keep it in a garage, but only temporary as it is assigned to another unit.  We have plans for the space and do not want to incur the expense to bring the two pieces we do not want back to the house.  Our son was uncomfortable keeping these on premises for more than a few days - again new tenant and does not want to start off on the wrong foot.

Bottom line - we ended up paying a small fee for a town permit and they picked them up.  Now, do these items have some value, sure not old or broken, but logistics dictated getting rid of them - essentially a headache - quickly.  Not so much the money, but I hate to waste good items, yet sometimes you just need to make those decisions.  Not unlike the Alfa parts, whoever had to dispose just plain may not have had the time or inclination to seek out the best way to dispose of them.  At least they didn't go to waste and Mike made a little money for doing what the person disposing of them could not or would not do.  That is a win all around I think.

In the case of dads cars, they and the real estate prevented him from getting Medicaid, and VA wouldn't pay. I had to come up 5k+ a month for his care or risk the state taking away Guardianship and having no say about his stuff or medical. I HAD to sell the cars to do that. If I wholesaled or sold under market I wouldn't have been able to do it. The alternative would have been he's homeless, a ward of the state and I would have to watch as an outsider while he was treated like, well, let's not think about it. Again, I stress that people underestimate the impact to others or possible things like this coming up. I can't begin to tell you what pressure I was under. If there is enough liquid to pay 5-10k for months for years, fine. Just don't count on the Va or other medical to pay for Alheimer's care because many don't until they need nursing care which is substantial help with 3 or more ADL's and vague enough to give them a lot of ways to deny you. The VA demanded he get care and demanded I pay. I'm done discussing details but it's a REAL problem I want people to know about. I'd have never though what I went through could happen, but people in the VA, state adult protective systems, attorneys, etc said it's very common to see people like my dad denied benefits for no legitimate reason and have no legal recourse. 

At this point I have so much time invested, and I finally got the VA to pay for his care, (he fractured his hip, requiring surgery and had a big set back in health), so the few remaining cars will be sold soon. I will go back to work and lease the real estate until I inherit it so I can avoid capitol gains. There's not a ton of value, but I can pay stuff off and have something for his final expenses. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Dad was very secretive about his money, to the point where he never entered ANYTHING into any of the several corporation check books he had. He kept it all in his head. We had to question every bank within 50 miles just to find out where he had accounts. The antique cars and parts all went in one day via auction and brought pretty good prices. It took 6 years to close the corporations and distribute the proceeds to Mom, us kids and the grandkids. Happily we all got along and there was no fighting like one often sees among relatives who are named as heirs. Unfortunately the majority of those 6 years was spent unravelling the contradictory wills Dad had made with 2 different attorneys, both of whom wanted their 6% cut of the estate. I won't bore you with the story of me being sued by my potential unborn children. Let's just say it was bizarre. One tip. Be sure to check under the seats of all vehicles before you sell them. While cleaning up Dad's  pickup before delivering it to its new owner I found a filthy and tattered briefcase stuffed under the seat containing $165k in negotiable bonds.

• Like 1

I wish dad had had that kind of liquid assets but he had his money in his cars. He collected a lot of things but they are not valuable aside from the cars. All told he had about 500,000 retail and it's cost me 200,000 in lost income already alone. My finances are in turmoil but I'm not going to walk away when my dad needs me. I will go bankrupt protecting him if needed, and that's a real possibility. 

After reading several nightmare scenarios or sad stories, here and at other forums, concerning the survivors problems with liquidating cars and parts collections formerly owned by a deceased loved one, I wrote out an inventory and location of all my car parts.  I left detailed instructions and discussed with my wife how to access our locked antique car and how to prepare it to be started and operated.  An Owner's Manual is also in the glove box.  I just finished that stuff up the other day.  She knows what the car is worth approximately and who to contact to help with the task of selling the car and parts. 

• Like 2

Several years ago, I was working at a dealership. An old man well known in town came in wanting to sell his mint 57 chevy. Knowing how well he liked this car, we questioned him on his reason for wanting to sell it. Simple, he said, I am old and in poor health with 3 children. I cant divide the Chevy 3 ways, but I can divide the money.

• Like 2

I'd like to add one cautionary tale to this thread in case someone may benefit from it.

A couple we know lost both the husband's parents at nearly the same time and had to dispose of a large accumulation of collectibles quickly.  The auctioneer they hired did a poor job of advertising the sale (which was in a rural area of upstate New York) and there was very low attendance.  The auctioneer had the merchandise set-up as box lots, ran through the items quickly, and if no-one bid on a lot he sold it to himself for $10.00 each.  He was essentially stealing the items from the family.  The family was aghast and demanded that he end the auction, to which he replied "If I end the auction I'll sue you".   The family lost thousands of dollars because of this auctioneer and is still shaking their heads about it today.    The moral:  Do your homework before hiring an auction company!

Edited by Harold (see edit history)
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Harold said:

I'd like to add one cautionary tale to this thread in case someone may benefit from it.

The auctioneer they hired did a poor job of advertising the sale (which was in a rural area of upstate New York) and there was very low attendance...........The family lost thousands of dollars because of this auctioneer and is still shaking their heads about it today.    The moral:  Do your homework before hiring an auction company!

Absolutely good advice from Harold, our auction results were to my satisfaction because we were fortunate to have an auction house very experienced in antiques and collectibles AND they did it online to a wide audience of interested parties.  We could have used a local "farm sale" sort of guy on site and I have no doubt that using the auction company well known for antiques more than paid for themselves in better results, Todd C 

10 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

It's certainly easier, I agree, but it may not be easy to will "that garage full of old car parts" to the Nature Conservancy.   Whoever figures out what to do with it needs to know what it is and how best to sell it.

They would be happy to call the auction co. and take the proceeds. The auction co. finds and sorts items the best they can, for it increases their profits. Done in a week or two, no muss no fuss.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

36 minutes ago, JFranklin said:

They would be happy to call the auction co. and take the proceeds. The auction co. finds and sorts items the best they can, for it increases their profits. Done in a week or two, no muss no fuss.

Interesting.  I would have thought that auction companies will only do that if you have a certain amount of known valuable stuff.  But maybe charities will take anything and are good at knowing how to best maximize the income from it.