Here we go: Fall Hershey 2015--who's going?

starfireelvis

Another thread posted here is the catalyst for this one, so let's have some fun with it, as we're now less than a month out, and some autumn-type weather hits the East this weekend.

Who's coming to Hershey, are you bringing a classic, setting up some swap meet spaces as a vendor, selling a vehicle in the car corral, or helping to make it a memorable experience by just visiting and taking it all in?

Be as specific as you want to be--what vehicle(s) you're bringing, your swap meet space(s) and what you're vending, and the like. One thing that would be of particular interest is knowing how many Fall Hersheys you've attended, and if you recall the first year you went.

I'll start off posting on a subsequent thread to follow. Look forward to perhaps even seeing some of you there!

I'll be bringing my 1962 Oldsmobile Starfire Coupe for the show on Saturday; I've attended every Meet since 2001, and have brought my Starfire to Hershey every year since 2005, with the exception of 2013, when I brought my '62 Olds Dynamic 88 Fiesta Station Wagon for the Eastern Fall Meet (where it weathered the ten inches of rain we received the two days prior to the Saturday show, and remarkably, not a drop of precipitation was found on the show field that day).

As always, I arrive on Tuesday, and spend the next three days covering the flea market areas, with a trip to the AACA Museum squeezed in somewhere.

There is no place I'd rather be than Fall Hershey in October!

I am a newbie coming to shop and learn and find sources for parts/services.  Just acquired a 1919/1920 Chandler six that needs rebuilding.  I am new to these older cars.  The oldest I have worked on to date is 1952 Chevy PU and 1960 Caddy and 1948 Harley.

Needless to say can't find much info on the Chandlers, especially any details on the motor. Simple things like rebuilding/sealing the water pump is new to me. 

So I am looking forward to taking in as much as possible though it sounds like could never cover it all in 3-4 days.

Eric

• Like 2

I've been coming for more than 30 years. I think my first one was when I was about 12 with my father. Couldn't come every year with school and all, but I've been there every year for at least the past 15 years.

This year we'll be in the Car Corral as usual, and we're pretty excited that we'll FINALLY be on the outer ring of the corral rather than up in that lonely parking lot that nobody ever visits. As usual, we'll be bringing good stuff that hasn't debuted yet. Please come visit me and Melanie in spots B67-B69; I always enjoy putting faces to the names of folks I know so well around here. We'll have at least two of the following with us:

post-76547-0-96064200-1442075183_thumb.j post-76547-0-86855200-1442075233_thumb.j post-76547-0-24628500-1442075221_thumb.j post-76547-0-46866300-1442075263_thumb.j

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Went the first time with my parents and close friend of the family around 1963-64. Hershey was already considered the biggest old car flea market in the world. The friend and a single flea market space and sold extremely nicely restored brass. Much of it was just being delivered.  We pulled in early the first day and his strategy was to cover the whole flea market fast to grab anything really rare then go back through a second time to look closer. He set up an empty card table with a sign that said he would open at noon. We got back to the car at noon and there was a small crowd waiting for him (he had a good reputation for his work). Within an hour he was sold out closed the trunk and we were back in the flea market.

Went the first time as an adult in 1971 and had so much fun that we have had a space since 1972. Only missed one year when I fell out of the back of my truck while loading to go and spent the night in the hospital and had wrist surgery the next day. My wife admitted later that she was prepared to drive me down after surgery if I insisted, but she didn't tell me this till a week or so later :-)

We will be at our long time spaces CI 8-10 on the south side of the Chocolate field just up from the turkey leg stand. We will have some Crosley parts and lots of misc stuff.

Went to Hershey 1999 first time.  Bought a 1954 Olds Starfire which I sold a few years ago.  Should have kept the car, Has tripled in value since I bought it in 1999.  Bought a 1931 Buick a few years back, which I still have and considering selling.  Bought several parts last year for a 1956 Ford.  Looking forward to returning this year!!!  Always  stay in the Lodge which is extremely nice and very convenient!!   

I'll be bringing the 61 Fleetwood back for the show this year.  I have two friends with cars in the car corral - a 1938 LaSalle 5019 sedan and another friend with a 1959 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe in Wood Rose (it's an original car, under 25k miles, if I recall correctly).  Of course, I'll be doing the flea market looking for stuff for the 53 Cadillac I'm working on.

I will be in the Chocolate Field South (CG32-34) with Marty Roth again this year. Not sure exactly when I am going to arrive this year. I am also not sure if I will be vending or if I will have a car for sale in our space this year. I have some old stuff that I should bring and sell but I don't curretly have a truck to bring it up in this year. I do have one friend who may want to drive a truck up that could deliver some stuff for me, but the jury is still out on our plans for this year. 

On Saturday, I will be judging and will be showing my 1989 Buick Park Avenue in HPOF as long as it is not sold before then.  

This will be my second go around at Hershey.  Went last year and have to admit I was a lot mind boggled by everything that was there.  Had some semi car guys with me that I think were bored after about 2 hours.  Coming by myself this year a day earlier and with a plan this time!  Looking for various brass car stuff and plan on taking time to enjoy and learn from the greatest bunch of car people around.  After the crappy summer I have had I cant wait!!  

• Like 1

First time this year for us. Bringing our 71 Torino GT convertible to show

Just leave hotel for the show field early. They do a great job, but there still is a bottleneck of traffic going into the show field. If you think about it they have park about if not more then 1,000 vehicles in 3 hours that is about one vehicle parked every 6 seconds! I have shown a few of my cars there over the years and the best part of the day for me was driving in with people lined up 3 and 4 deep cheering your car on. As I am getting a little older it has just become too much for me physically to bring a car to show and also vend parts all week, so it's one or the other

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Just leave hotel for the show field early. They do a great job, but there still is a bottleneck of traffic going into the show field. If you think about it they have park about if not more then 1,000 vehicles in 3 hours that is about one vehicle parked every 6 seconds! I have shown a few of my cars there over the years and the best part of the day for me was driving in with people lined up 3 and 4 deep cheering your car on. As I am getting a little older it has just become too much for me physically to bring a car to show and also vend parts all week, so it's one or the other

Yea a few have told me the same thing.. Ill be there before the sun comes up :)

Do you need a bidder number to get into the RM auction on Thursday night?  Where do they preview the cars for the auction? 

You can go see the cars in the parking lot of the Lodge, but you can't just walk into the auction. You can buy a catalog ($250) or register to bid ($200, I think) and get into the auction, but they have severely curtailed the public's ability to get in, mostly because there's a finite amount of space. If you register and/or buy a catalog, it's good for you and a guest.

Most of the cars will be out in tents in the parking lot.  Some will be inside the Lodge.  You won't be able to get in to the auction itself without a bidders pass which is a bit more complicated than buying the catalogue.  The catalogue (150.00) used to get you in but I think space has become a big issue.

I figured it would be a madhouse if everyone was able to get into the auction.  At those prices they are definately only attracting the clientele that are there to buy!  I guess I will have to be content watching Wayne Carini buy and sell stuff on his show...

First trip was 1970 and missed darned few since then.  I'll be in GCC 5-6 again this year-across from the crab cake vendor in front of the Giant Center.  Drop in and visit and don't forget to bring old spark plugs for me.  Susan is always eager to talk about MGs too, so catch us if you can.  If we're not there we're out trying to find more treasure.  When we're there, there is always some brass stuff and interesting items on the table.  I'll have some extras from my automotive sheet music collection too.  Can't wait-pray for sunshine!

Terry & Susan

I think my first trip was about 1978 and I came with my brother. We went on Saturday and walked the entire swap meet field and the show field in a single day. I recall having trouble walking the next day, but that was Sunday so we got to rest. Later I joined the Club (at least twice) and attempted to obtain a swap meet space. We finally found a good friend who shared his spaces in the Chocolate Field South- eventually the Region found me spaces in the (new) Orange Field- we called those spaces "purgatory". After a year or so, the Region graciously relocated us to our "final" spots at GAI 18-19, where we set up each year to sell 1941-1946 Chevrolet and GMC truck parts. Look for the trailer that says "Art Deco Delights!” I did miss one year, that would be 1990,  when I got married and didn't watch the calendar until it was too late to change the date. I won't make that mistake again (promise, Hon). Along the way we added two little boys who loved to play hooky from school on Friday and spend the night with dad in the back of some truck. Now the oldest can't play hooky from the Navy and the youngest can't afford to miss AP calculus! He'll make it up Friday after school and we pack as much into Saturday as possible, weather permitting. When I am gone, I have little doubt he'll be right there in GAI 18-19. I KNOW he'll feel very close to me while he's at Hershey.

By the way, we set up on Wednesday morning and we keep it going until at least 2pm on Saturday. We need to remake this swap meet into a true Wed-Sat deal so folks who have to work a whole week can come on Saturday and see something other than a bunch of trailers departing (end of rant). We always manage to sell a few things on Saturday morning to make it worthwhile.

See you soon!

Will be with a friend in the Green Field flea market, Tuesday-Saturday, GAF-6 and adjoining spaces.  Don't know yet what we're bringing.  I've been coming since the 60's and don't miss the mud one bit, especially those years in the Yellow Field!  

Dave- that's fantstic!  What year is your mud?  I claim to be the first and perhaps only guy who ever sold mud at Hershey!  Back in 76, the year of the "big one" I scooped up a jar of mud and put a label on it - genuine souviner from 1976.   It was displayed on my swap meet space for many years but eventually someone started trying to buy it.  After the second or third year in a row I finally asked the guy how he knew it was for real.  His response - "if it was fake you'd have sold it to me the first time I asked."   Well, we settled on a price and it's got a new home somewhere.  Wish I had it back, or would like to find out who bought it to see if it's still around.  Think this year I'll capture some Hershey sunshine!

Terry

I had NOS turn signals made in 1923 never opened in original package last year , sold all I had; will have the last 10  there this year. Also great pressed steel  pre war toys, a large  tin plate French JEP Alfa Romeo clockwork race car, automobilia, Franklin showroom poster (se Franklin section post) Budd Body Company photographs mounted on linen from the 1920s of the factory machinery, some minty early 1950s promo models (Pontiac, Henry J, Ford, Plymouth) . I have attended since 1965, missing about 4 years total due to job commitments, There is nothing else like Hershey. Arriving tuesday afternoon. Red Field North RNG 10 & 11. Opposite Powers Gaskets , who also have petrolania and toys . Want to buy Autobody magazine from 1921 thru 1931 to further my research and articles for CCCA and Hemmings Classic Car.

• Like 1

Dave- that's fantstic!  What year is your mud?  I claim to be the first and perhaps only guy who ever sold mud at Hershey!  Back in 76, the year of the "big one" I scooped up a jar of mud and put a label on it - genuine souviner from 1976.   It was displayed on my swap meet space for many years but eventually someone started trying to buy it.  After the second or third year in a row I finally asked the guy how he knew it was for real.  His response - "if it was fake you'd have sold it to me the first time I asked."   Well, we settled on a price and it's got a new home somewhere.  Wish I had it back, or would like to find out who bought it to see if it's still around.  Think this year I'll capture some Hershey sunshine!

Terry

Can't argue your mud claim, but a friend that had the spaces across from me (now deceased) in the Chocolate field one year had a bunch of small metal boxes with screw on lids that were not selling well. He filled a bunch of them with good Hershey mud and sold them for years. I bought one for my Dad one year when he couldn't come. I looked for it when we cleaned out his shop and couldn't find it. For years I had a round plug of Hershey mud that came out of the end of one of my canopy poles sitting on the shelf above my shop bench, but it also was lost at some point.

As bad as the mud was many/most years I miss the grassy spots. If you had a canopy you could stay dry including your feet, now the water runs through the spots so everything has to be up off the ground and you have to wear boots to keep your feet dry, granted they only need to be low pullovers not 5 buckle.

I'll be in GBF-32-33, with my Aliner camper starting Tuesday. Usually stay at the space on Thursday to sell, will have some early Hudson wheels, NOS non-skid tires, Snap-on folding chairs, Pierce Arrow parts and memorabilia, possibly some 60's Ford and Lincoln parts if there's room in the Suburban.

Also have a big run of Hudson White Triangle News, and a lot of older Buick Bugles, may bring. Cleaning out some storage...

A smile and hearty handshake to anyone, for free!

My father in law and husband have gone to Hershey for many years - because of them, I've been as a spectator 2 times and this will be my 2nd time showing my Suburban in HPOF. We had a great time last year and can't wait to do it again - hopefully without the rain!

I was at Hershey 25 or so years ago wandering the rows in that daze that comes over you at about 2:00pm. I stopped to look for an owners manual at a paper vendor. The guy in front of me asked the vendor if he had any titles for a 1937 Chevrolet. The vendor went back into his trailer and came out with one. The customer stood looking at the title and started to jump up and down exclaiming "This is to MY car!". What are the odds? Zeke

• Like 1

There's no magic formula to seeing the offerings at the flea market.

As have many, I've walked promising rows, found nothing. Have walked rows that looked boring, and found treasures.

My advice:

- make a plan with space numbers you want to visit (venders, club members, lunch on certain days/clubs, and such) and make it a point to be there

- try to, more or less, walk each field in an orderly fashion, up this row and down the next row

- realize that the plan above can be modified when you see the OH MY GOSH one row over, but remember the spaces you skip may hold your treasure

-see it, want it, reasonably priced, buy it. This is an oft repeated, simple, rule, often ignored and later regrets (can't find the space, item sold, expert told him worth three times asking price) are miserable, and happen...all the time

Good luck!

• Like 1

Short Hershey this year, will be there all day wed and Thursday half day. Bringing my wife for the first time this year as we have a family function later in the week.

Looking forward to seeing some friends that I usually only see annually as well as showing mrs. Mack the lay of the land.

First Hershey was 1978, but really consistent in the past 10 to 15 years.

I'll be their Tuesday afternoon through Friday mid day Buying NOS parts.  Mostly small random stuff.  Box lots are a plus.  GM Delco FOMOCO Studebaker Mopar parts of all types , pedal pads/ gas pedals, radio delete plates Horn buttons switches and relays even NORS stuff.  Also looking for 36-37 Cord parts.  Maybe a neat old piece of advertising for the shop.   If you have anything like that and want to be sure I swing by your space let me know where to look. 

I'll also be showing my 2014 Auburn Victoria this year for the first time;) 

My first trip was in 1972 and I was six. Missed three years since then. Will be at RCH 40-42 with a bunch of Pierce Arrow stuff, and a barn find 29 Pierce for sale also. We arrive Tuesday at noon and are on the field from 8am to 6pm till Friday. Stop by and say hello. We have water and chairs. You can even dump stuff off and pick it up later to save humping things all day. Ed.