Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Today was the 10th time my '86 Park Ave got a state inspection on my watch.

My idea of buying a newer car and aging along with it seems to be accelerating as I get older though.

IMG_0740.JPG.e9482fe65bd9147a480fff3723a51748.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG.e2065bb80e90c88256b98fc6b725231d.JPG

No sunvisors. Those are on the bench awaiting fabric to arrive next week

• Like 2

The wife and I had the Reatta at the Gold coast cruisers car show in Morgan Park Glen Cove. This is a great show with a lot of variety, in a beautiful beach front park. The car attracted a lot of attention. Great day with a great lady and a great car.

20210627_100053.jpg

• Like 3

I drove the Skylark 355 miles along Route 66 between Fairview Heights, IL and Carthage, MO. Got up a little while ago at the Boots Court and will be looking for breakfast shortly before heading to my next overnight stop at Catoosa, OK.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, TexasJohn55 said:

didn't know that a Park Avenue came in 2dr model. Was that common in those?

The Electra model and the Park Avenue sub-model was not common in the coupe version. Advertising for coupes. of the time focused on the Electra 380 in rally trim. Not many of those were made either.

I know of three '86 Park Ave convertible conversions, all done by Car Craft in Lima, Ohio. Mine is job #001. I don't know the sequence of the others. I think mine is the only one that runs. Car Craft took over H&E operations and moved into armored car production.

• Thanks 1

Went for an evening cruise in the GS yesterday.  It was 81* at night, which may be common for other areas of this Country but is kinda rare in my particular area.  Drove past one gulch

20210627_203821.jpg

Noted the standing water.  

20210627_203853.jpg

Gonna be a bumper crop of mosquitos soon I think.

When around to a small ridge

20210627_204322.jpg

and caught some artistic cloud formations.

20210627_204358.jpg

The evening sky is just a total work of art sometimes

20210627_204458.jpg

then I tried the AC and had hot air.  Sheesh.  to make a long story very short, two years ago I thought the compressor seal had blown out and this was a new( not rebuilt) original style A6 unit in 2011.  At that point the system was flushed, and after a recharge with R134A it was working adequately.  At any rate I figured the charge was low so I added a few ounces of 134A today and then discovered that the ground terminal at the compressor clutch was disconnected.  I hooked it back up and  the AC is back.  No odd compressor noises, and is once again adequate, which for a car with a black convertible top and interior, is acceptable. 

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Well, not a weekend, today is Wednesday but when your recently retired, everyday feels like Saturday.

A friend and I went to look at a collection of cars at a large rural property, so took him out in the Riviera. Mainly a collection of Ford based hot rods and later model Australian Ford Falcon sedans.

The owner had just rebuilt the Ford engine in a Willys Ute and the guy who helped him with the rebuild had also come over for the initial start while we were there. He had driven up in his ‘76 Chevrolet Monte Carlo.

After a few tries and working out the timing was 180 degrees out it burst into life but would run out of fuel. A loose connection on the electric fuel pump soon fixed that, so we left them both to break in the camshaft.

And a photo opportunity presented itself,  I suppose they are probably distant cousins?

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

54A6D60E-E077-45EB-8C32-B9DF93C1C1A4.jpeg

Edited by rodneybeauchamp
Wording (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Now that the ;60 Dynaflow has been rebuilt and the transmission fluid cleaned up we have a clean spot for Parking and Polishing. This morning's job was to start recovering the sun visors, the stuff on the hood. But I think a ride out for a couple of slices of pizza for lunch is in order now. Perfect convertible day!

IMG_0763.JPG.6880885a970e7e48629bf12428027929.JPG

• Like 4

We had the 37 66C out again and went across town and met with other Buick club members and had sundaes with a cherry on top, then when to a friends' memorial service in the park and then came home............Long live Buicks............

• Like 2

It rained Saturday and Sunday. At least it did not rain today. Just good enough for a ride to Connecticut. Nice ride on the back roads to Thompson. A beautiful common with plenty of historic houses surrounding it. A few Greek revivals, colonial's and Gothic revivals. I remember the William Mason hone (1845) when it was in tough shape. It was neglected for decades. Now it is undergoing a restoration that probably costs millions. It does not look finished yet but the grounds are looking beautiful. Well worth a ride to see it if only from the outside.  I have posted an old picture for comparison.

IMG_4481.jpg

IMG_4482.jpg

IMG_4487.jpg

untitled.png

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Den41Buick said:

It rained Saturday and Sunday. At least it did not rain today. Just good enough for a ride to Connecticut. Nice ride on the back roads to Thompson. A beautiful common with plenty of historic houses surrounding it. A few Greek revivals, colonial's and Gothic revivals. I remember the William Mason hone (1845) when it was in tough shape. It was neglected for decades. Now it is undergoing a restoration that probably costs millions. It does not look finished yet but the grounds are looking beautiful. Well worth a ride to see it if only from the outside.  I have posted an old picture for comparison.

IMG_4481.jpg

IMG_4482.jpg

IMG_4487.jpg

untitled.png

What is the story behind the two house pictures? 

The second picture looks almost like the house in either"It's a wonderful life" or from The Munsters.

On Sunday the same four of us went for a ride in the '16 McLaughlin, a bit longer this time, though still less than 20 miles, which takes some time at 30 mph or so. The car started easily and ran great, the ambient temp was around 85F, and it ran at normal temps.

Also I'm getting better at shifting it, and I did a couple of successful downshifts, and was able to run it a bit higher in second before shifting into third. All very tricky without syncros to help shifting.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Keith

IMG_20210704_1550424.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Buicknutty said:

On Sunday the same four of us went for a ride in the '16 McLaughlin, a bit longer this time, though still less than 20 miles, which takes some time at 30 mph or so. The car started easily and ran great, the ambient temp was around 85F, and it ran at normal temps.

Also I'm getting better at shifting it, and I did a couple of successful downshifts, and was able to run it a bit higher in second before shifting into third. All very tricky without syncros to help shifting.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Keith

IMG_20210704_1550424.jpg

Sounds like a great time to me! 

• Like 2

Got back from the Modoc tour last Friday.  Yesterday I got it all back together after replacing the five worn steering linkage pins and removed steering column to clean up and re-lube the bushings.  Then I washed it and drove it around the neighborhood to verify the steering is now tight and it turns more easily.  The next door neighbors were entertaining their grandchildren in the front yard, so everyone got a ride in the Buick. 

Model F on Modoc Tour.jpg

• Like 7

Since our BCA Chapter has somewhat of a relationship with the Albany NY area Ronald Macdonald House, we were contacted about using some convertibles to transport the kids and parents for their 39th anniversary bash today.

20210710_134149.jpg

I wasn't in on the planning for this but I participated along with 4 others. 

20210710_132327.jpg

20210710_143435.jpg

Somewhere along the way it turned out that the adults grabbed all the seats in the cars, except mine, and left the kids to ride the fake trolley bus. 

This little sweetheart, on her moms lap in the back seat, wanted to ride in the GS, and her mom made sure they waited by the car so she would not be disappointed.  The girl and her father in the front seat were from Afghanistan and were very happy to roast in the hot sun while we crawled the several blocks of the "parade" 

20210710_122301 (2).jpg.  

The little girls brother wanted to drive the car.  His mom had all she could do to convince him this wasn't Grand pa's Miata and with all the police involved she did not want me to get in trouble letting him drive. 

20210710_114737.jpg

Meanwhile he had to roll all the windows up and down, and learn how to use the door handle to open the doors.  

When it got to be a cooker on the way I gave the little girl in the front seat this Steele Hat, which brought a smile to her face.   I thought she looked pretty good in it. 

I had the girl in the front seat blow the horn whereupon the little boy in the back had to do so too.  By then the little girl in the back seat finally loosened up a little and we planked her across the seats so she could blow the horn too.  😄

It was a good time!  I am not even sure how far I drove, but the GS just glides along with narry any fuss.  Love the reliability of a Buick! 

20210710_124534 (2).jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

This particular RMH happens to own these three houses in a row.  Through all volunteer effort an extension was built across the back of the three houses to provide a massive kitchen and dining room.  They can house up to 25 families, all in private rooms with full bath facilities.  The interiors of the three homes were refurbished and or restored and suitable gathering rooms and play rooms were incorporated so that all these folks could be part of a community or have some private space when needed.  This is the first time I've seen the place, and it was very impressive.  The block party was well attended and I hope it gave all of them a chance to kick back for a day without the overburden of the reason why they are all there. 

20210710_114458.jpg

20210710_114555.jpg

20210710_132514.jpg

20210710_132730.jpg

20210710_144813.jpg

• Like 10

I went for a drive yesterday to an unusual little neighborhood here in my own city that I had never visited.  It's a subdivision that was first conceived and developed in 1913 and features a mile-long oval street that is built on what was once touted as "the finest racetrack west of the Mississippi."  At one end of what used to be the infield of the track, the developers built a giant sundial as an attraction.  I'm always looking for locations for "faux vintage" shots of my car, and this area looks like it will provide plenty of them.  (I couldn't test the accuracy of the sundial because of the typical San Francisco summer weather -- fog and high overcast.  The sundial is 34 feet in diameter, and the "gnomon" -- I learned a new word -- is 17 feet high!)

ingleside.jpg.bebbeb2a96c64c571377c2e27011178b.jpg

sundial1.jpg.4d4160e753bfa3a629bf02a8f5128d63.jpg

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Grimy said:

@neil morsewhere is that?  I can't believe I've missed it over all these years!

I had also missed it completely, even though I've known and visited a friend for years who lives just a few blocks from there.  The oval street is called Urbano Drive, and it's part of Ingleside Terrace, which is located in between Ocean Avenue and Junipero-Serra Boulevard, just east of SF State.  You can see on the map where the sundial is located.

Urbano.jpg.8712139f421b592089ee8d67075dac4e.jpg

I found out about it because Gary Kamiya devoted his "Portals of the Past" feature in the Chronicle to it on Saturday.  https://www.sfchronicle.com/vault/article/How-S-F-neighborhood-sprouted-where-horses-once-16302613.php

The track was built for horse racing in 1895, but after they no longer ran horses there, they used it for automobile racing in the early 1900's.

urbano2.jpg.dfaed441bfe6c23052554718bc30b531.jpg

It's pretty fascinating, and worth a visit.

• Like 7

On 7/10/2021 at 9:49 PM, JohnD1956 said:

Somewhere along the way it turned out that the adults grabbed all the seats in the cars, except mine, and left the kids to ride the fake trolley bus. 

A correction is in order here. I learned that there were some kids in some of the other cars too.  It was still a good time. 

Since our BCA Chapter has somewhat of a relationship with the Albany NY area Ronald Macdonald House, we were contacted about using some convertibles to transport the kids and parents for their 39th anniversary bash today.

20210710_134149.jpg

20210710_132327.jpg

20210710_143435.jpg

This little sweetheart, on her moms lap in the back seat, wanted to ride in the GS, and her mom made sure they waited by the car so she would not be disappointed.  The girl and her father in the front seat were from Afghanistan and were very happy to roast in the hot sun while we crawled the several blocks of the "parade" 

20210710_122301 (2).jpg.  

The little girls brother wanted to drive the car.  His mom had all she could do to convince him this wasn't Grand pa's Miata and with all the police involved she did not want me to get in trouble letting him drive. 

20210710_114737.jpg

Meanwhile he had to roll all the windows up and down, and learn how to use the door handle to open the doors.  

When it got to be a cooker on the way I gave the little girl in the front seat this Steele Hat, which brought a smile to her face.   I thought she looked pretty good in it. 

I had the girl in the front seat blow the horn whereupon the little boy in the back had to do so too.  By then the little girl in the back seat finally loosened up a little and we planked her across the seats so she could blow the horn too.  😄

It was a good time!  I am not even sure how far I drove, but the GS just glides along with narry any fuss.  Love the reliability of a Buick! 

20210710_124534 (2).jpg

probably one of the best things i have heard of yet to do with our cars, pics are great

• Like 2

20210710_134149.jpg

20210710_132327.jpg

20210710_143435.jpg

20210710_122301 (2).jpg.  

20210710_114737.jpg

20210710_124534 (2).jpg

I regret that I only have one "LIKE" to give this post.

• Like 3