JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

Who is that idiot spoiling an otherwise pleasant photo of old Buicks???? Oh, it appears to be meBathurst.thumb.jpg.c4f224745ee8e4b57e6fb66252f43bda.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

On 3/20/2019 at 2:03 PM, Pilgrim65 said:

Covers off , battery top up , up and away tomorrow! 😊

DF9EE116-FC93-4F6B-A482-C097481FC9FE.jpeg

CDB77567-45F7-4BF4-8333-87072C51E497.jpeg

All sorted ,started ok , hood down , just need somewhere to go, surely we need some bread or milk 😊

DEFF9CE2-B7A4-4513-AE8C-43A02D6A6DE6.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Next week will make 6 months since I drove an old Buick....  😞

33 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Know how you feel , was  4 months for me , end of October till today , was getting withdrawal symptoms 😊

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

That is a sad turn of events!  But for discussion, how do you define an "old" Buick?    

Not today or tomorrow but planning on it SUNDAY! 😀

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

That is a sad turn of events!  But for discussion, how do you define an "old" Buick?    

Lol. Or any buick in my case

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Lol. Or any buick in my case

It may not be "old" to many but I feel like that 92 Wagon I bought, almost fills this niche every time I drive it.  Felt the same way about the 78 Wagon I had too.  Modern by most standards but both more than 26 years old already.  And both Buicks with Buick engines!   I recommend you find something similar. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JohnD1956 said:

It may not be "old" to many but I feel like that 92 Wagon I bought, almost fills this niche every time I drive it.  Felt the same way about the 78 Wagon I had too.  Modern by most standards but both more than 26 years old already.  And both Buicks with Buick engines!   I recommend you find something similar. 

I'm loving my recent 78 purchase (sorry not buick) modern enough to have some amenities, highway driveability, and reliability, old enough to get attention.

1 minute ago, wndsofchng06 said:

I'm loving my recent 78 purchase (sorry not buick) modern enough to have some amenities, highway driveability, and reliability, old enough to get attention.

What did you buy?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

In my case it goes without saying I’m a 47 , Ruby’s a 53 , no doubt both in general opinion old!

Ruby has advantage been restored and looks great , me unfortunately plenty  signs of wear  , think my wife would like me to have the makeover,  but restoration costs big bucks , so she will have make do with good quality daily driver !

but feel Ruby and I  have quite a few years fun left in both of us  😁

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Haha 3

I'm in a similar situation with me being a "double nickle baby" and my Buick's are '58's so what does that make me? 😝

Fortunately I have much older cars that makes me the youngin' I guess. 😁

Planning a ride tomorrow out to the Car Cub for some fun.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

In my case it goes without saying I’m a 47 , Ruby’s a 53 , no doubt both in general opinion old!

About the same as you Pilgrim65.  I'm a '51, and the oldest car is a '56.  It was around 1960 or so that I remember getting the car bug.  That's the waning years of dad's 55 Buick. And I remember that one plus the two neighbors with 56's, a Roadmaster 4 dr hardtop and a Special convertible.  When Dad got the 60 Olds in 61 or so, he gave the 55 to my aunt.  I didn't miss it much then, but when she gave it back in 64 and my older brother began to beat it up, I took a much greater interest.   But Dad sold it in '66 before I got my license and bought the '65 Electra.  I was upset when he sold the '55 as I really wanted to drive it more than I had already done numerous times around the block.  But I was smitten when he came home with the Electra.  

A few years later the one neighbor gave me his '56 Roadmaster which had been all cracked up!  But at that point anything 20 years old, or older, was an old car to me.  I saw value in a lot of 20+ year old cars through my years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had a nice drive with the 56 Special this morning to a weekly cruise-in at Hunt Valley in Cockeysville, MD. Temp was about 34 degrees and wind gusts were around 20mph. A little nippy for me but, all in all I had a fantastic time.

Red Dawn Hunt Valley.JPG

• Like 8

Drove my '54 Century to work today. Still need to sell it or something else soon so I can continue another restoration or two...

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

IMG_1816.JPG

• Like 9

This evening my son and I took the '41 Roadmaster out for about a 25 mile drive. A bit chilly, around 35 F, but otherwise clear and sunny, and the heater and defroster keep us warm.

Just a nice drive around our countryside, no destination. No pictures enroute, but here's a couple taken right after I parked in the garage.

Keith

41BuickGar1.jpg

41BuickGar2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I did! Took my daughter and two of my grand kids for a ride. They were amazed how much legroom they had on the Roadmaster 

• Like 5

What brand, and did you go with bias or radials?

B F Goodrich Silvertown (coker) Bias ply.  The ones on it had almost no wear but were in the least 12-15 years old and as stiff as driving concrete blocks. Those were also bias ply and would follow even the smallest of ridge in the road so I had my doubts of going back with bias ply. But after talking with people I was told any bias ply that is as old as mine would track the same way being so stiff. Newer bias ply would be more pliable and not act the same. They were right. The road to my house (45 mph) has 2 extremely pronounced ridges and valleys from a crappy top coating done 3 years ago. With the old tires once you got in it, it was like being on train tracks. I noticed right away with the new ones that the old girl didn't get pulled in instantly and it was very easy getting out of it. (Normally drive in middle of road unless a car coming to avoid it) Also I don't feel every pebble in the road.  But one odd thing did occur when getting the rear tires on.  Going with factory spec tires, the rears had to be deflated to give clearance to fit in the wheel well and then inflated once mounted. Could not squeeze them between the brake drum and the upper well lip. We were about ready to remove the shocks and hopefully drop the rear some to see if we could get more room. Seems the new ones are a little wider then the old when inflated to 32 pounds.

I took the 1913 out for a short drive today with my soon to be son in law.  He is driving as I took the picture.

13.jpg

• Like 4

Very nice 55 degree day here in central PA. I did 110 mile round trip to our Mason-Dixon Chapter meeting at Mechanicsburg. "Lucy" had not been out since November.

DSCF7405.thumb.jpg.1e01ebb68768f6ea5c775242b82a6919.jpg

New member Chris with his GS.                                                                       Senior member Dick with my 1937 Lucy.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Nice Sunday drive out and back to my Car Club Museum and Heritage Village.

IMG_4614.thumb.JPG.35576901a9185b21f999e6d5f51f0fcd.JPG

Grounds were a little wet so will have to clean up the tires but it was worth the trip!

Membership has it's privileges so drove inside the Village for some shots.

This is one of the last few two storey log cabins moved here and slowly being restored for public viewing. It is a big hit with the kids that come through for the Education Program.

IMG_4594.thumb.JPG.5787e083694ee1571919ccd2fd1c6e1f.JPG

Went on further to stop at the 1800's General Store and found a group of camera bugs taking pictures.

IMG_4598.thumb.JPG.c70cc0b4e84ead2a15ed5c28903949fc.JPG

To my surprise one of the ladies was from my neighbourhood whose boys went to school with mine. Naturally they just had to take pictures of the Special and said they would forward me some of their work. Looking to see what a more professional camera might do versus my Canon point and shoot...

IMG_4599.thumb.JPG.933ec3a5515ae126af42ae9ab9393c8b.JPG

Just as I pulled into my driveway doesn't two friends pull in behind me in Joe's '55 Cadillac!

IMG_4615.thumb.JPG.297a88d963f8e3c93486621e43fc43ee.JPG

It was a NICE Sunday for a ride! 😎

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 7