Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

On 7/10/2021 at 9:49 PM, JohnD1956 said:

Somewhere along the way it turned out that the adults grabbed all the seats in the cars, except mine, and left the kids to ride the fake trolley bus. 

A correction is in order here. I learned that there were some kids in some of the other cars too.  It was still a good time. 

Since our BCA Chapter has somewhat of a relationship with the Albany NY area Ronald Macdonald House, we were contacted about using some convertibles to transport the kids and parents for their 39th anniversary bash today.

20210710_134149.jpg

I wasn't in on the planning for this but I participated along with 4 others. 

20210710_132327.jpg

20210710_143435.jpg

Somewhere along the way it turned out that the adults grabbed all the seats in the cars, except mine, and left the kids to ride the fake trolley bus. 

This little sweetheart, on her moms lap in the back seat, wanted to ride in the GS, and her mom made sure they waited by the car so she would not be disappointed.  The girl and her father in the front seat were from Afghanistan and were very happy to roast in the hot sun while we crawled the several blocks of the "parade" 

20210710_122301 (2).jpg.  

The little girls brother wanted to drive the car.  His mom had all she could do to convince him this wasn't Grand pa's Miata and with all the police involved she did not want me to get in trouble letting him drive. 

20210710_114737.jpg

Meanwhile he had to roll all the windows up and down, and learn how to use the door handle to open the doors.  

When it got to be a cooker on the way I gave the little girl in the front seat this Steele Hat, which brought a smile to her face.   I thought she looked pretty good in it. 

I had the girl in the front seat blow the horn whereupon the little boy in the back had to do so too.  By then the little girl in the back seat finally loosened up a little and we planked her across the seats so she could blow the horn too.  😄

It was a good time!  I am not even sure how far I drove, but the GS just glides along with narry any fuss.  Love the reliability of a Buick! 

20210710_124534 (2).jpg

probably one of the best things i have heard of yet to do with our cars, pics are great

• Like 2

Since our BCA Chapter has somewhat of a relationship with the Albany NY area Ronald Macdonald House, we were contacted about using some convertibles to transport the kids and parents for their 39th anniversary bash today.

20210710_134149.jpg

I wasn't in on the planning for this but I participated along with 4 others. 

20210710_132327.jpg

20210710_143435.jpg

This little sweetheart, on her moms lap in the back seat, wanted to ride in the GS, and her mom made sure they waited by the car so she would not be disappointed.  The girl and her father in the front seat were from Afghanistan and were very happy to roast in the hot sun while we crawled the several blocks of the "parade" 

20210710_122301 (2).jpg.  

The little girls brother wanted to drive the car.  His mom had all she could do to convince him this wasn't Grand pa's Miata and with all the police involved she did not want me to get in trouble letting him drive. 

20210710_114737.jpg

Meanwhile he had to roll all the windows up and down, and learn how to use the door handle to open the doors.  

When it got to be a cooker on the way I gave the little girl in the front seat this Steele Hat, which brought a smile to her face.   I thought she looked pretty good in it. 

I had the girl in the front seat blow the horn whereupon the little boy in the back had to do so too.  By then the little girl in the back seat finally loosened up a little and we planked her across the seats so she could blow the horn too.  😄

It was a good time!  I am not even sure how far I drove, but the GS just glides along with narry any fuss.  Love the reliability of a Buick! 

20210710_124534 (2).jpg

I regret that I only have one "LIKE" to give this post.

• Like 3

Well Tuesday was almost a duplicate of Monday.  The day started out with a comfortable temperatures and dry.  But as the day of touring and looking at different collections and points of interest in the area it started to rain again on and off for the rest of the day.  Stayed dry with the new top but the brakes on the car does not like heavy rain.  Just needed to be even more cautious.  It was still a great day out driving with a bunch of friends.  We put on about 90 miles on the clock today.  Some pictures below.  That  690 miles is what we have put on the car so far this year.

image000000 (5).jpg

image000000 (6).jpg

image000000 (8).jpg

image000000 (7).jpg

• Like 7

Today, Wed turned out to be a good touring day without any rain, but it was on the warmer side.  We had some interesting stops that we got to visit. We visited a large John Deere collection of tractors with a lot of other collectibles, a working farm that had almost 680 pieces of old farm equipment all painted and looking tall.  We also got to go to a steam train museum and a local historic village of buildings from the area. Most were more than 100 years old.  All of the venues were very interesting.  Today we put on a little more than 70 miles.  Best news was there was no rain.  Tomorrow's forecast is possible more rain. Hopefully we will dodge the bullet.

image000000 (9).jpg

image000000 (10).jpg

image000000 (14).jpg

image000001 (1).jpg

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 8

Yes Larry my Overland doesn't perform well in the rain either.

Her brake bands are on the outside of the rear drums only so get wet fast in the rain. Dad taught me to also use the parking brake in the rain as its brake band is on the inside of the drums. Together the 3 1/3 by 30 tires would actually lock up in a panic stop but... not a lot of ground surface so driving cautiously in those conditions was the key!!

On another issue, what was the name or location of the steam train museum? Do they hae a web site?

Today I drove the newest (well newest collectible) Buick and the oldest one. I took the Reatta out to do a few errands, fill it up, and get it warmed up for an oil change. The first tour of the year is on the weekend and it will be getting about 350-400 miles on it. So a bit of check over and a some routine maint. on it.

Then after supper, instead of continuing on the Reatta we took the '16 McLaughlin out for a shortish drive, about 10 miles. We left it a bit late, and of course it doesn't have the greatest lights, so I wanted to make sure were home before it got very dark at all. They both ran great! Well the Reatta has a lot going for it, like electronic ignition and fuel injection, but the '16 is really very reliable too, just not quite a fast!

I hope I'm not jinxing it here, but it is a very well sorted out car. It starts easily, and runs very well. A quick shot of my wife and my son posing beside the car when we got home, and one during the drive.

IMG_20210714_2033208.jpg

IMG_20210714_2019537.jpg

• Like 7

I just got back from having coffee with the old guys and running a few errands with my '60 Electra. No drips of pink fluid left at any of my stops.

Yesterday I made a thorough check under the car. There had been some residual in nooks and crannies from the slinging previously. All clean and no drips.

The garage floor has been cleaned and a couple of precautions mats are in place. Now we are ready for this view of the floor to be more frequent.

IMG_0838.JPG.480c93cb4836a050e6b1ad354cd9f2a7.JPG

• Like 4

23 hours ago, dei said:

Yes Larry my Overland doesn't perform well in the rain either.

Her brake bands are on the outside of the rear drums only so get wet fast in the rain. Dad taught me to also use the parking brake in the rain as its brake band is on the inside of the drums. Together the 3 1/3 by 30 tires would actually lock up in a panic stop but... not a lot of ground surface so driving cautiously in those conditions was the key!!

On another issue, what was the name or location of the steam train museum? Do they hae a web site?

Here ya go. 

https://www.michigansteamtrain.com

• Thanks 1

Well, today we drove about 90+ miles on the tour.  It was another good day with just a spit of rain once.  Other than that short try at rain, it was a good day with out rain.  We stopped at a couple of sights including a fertilizer factory educational experience.  Besides information on the fertilizer it had an interactive learning center.  The picture of with the building in the background was at the museum/learning center. They also had some rare John Deere tractors.  We finished out the day with 878 miles so far for the year.  We put about 400 miles on the car this week on the tour.  On to The Gilmore Museum for the Celebration of Brass this weekend.

image000000 (17).jpg

image000000 (16).jpg

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I spent part of the day at the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners, MI.  They were hosting the Celebration of Brass show.  I had a great time seeing a lot of friends from all over the country. 

I stayed until after lunch when the rain came in and had no hope of the rain stopping for the rest of the day.

image000000 (98).jpg

• Like 6

For the first time this year we went on a tour on Sunday. This past were we used to live and through rolling hills in the area East of Toronto. Since it was going to be a long day, we took the Reatta. We drove over 600kms, or very nearly 400 miles, and didn't have to fill it up, though that will be it's first destination next outing.

Not to jinx things, but it ran well, which one would expect it to with the benefits of fuel injection and electronic ignition. Less certain was the repaired AC, which we used on the run home, and it worked fine for us.

It is a multi make car club tour, with three Buicks in attendance, all convertibles. In addition to my '90 Reatta, there was a '61 Lesabre, and an '85 Riv, of which I didn't get a decent picture, so there isn't one of that. An interesting little Japanese car showed up, a Nissan Figaro. A limited production JDM car, so they are right hand drive. This one is a '91 model. Lots of Chevies, some Fords, and other makes.

We stopped at an interesting mill in the hamlet of Tyrone, near which Robert McLaughlin started his first business, prior to getting into the carriage trade, then built cars under Sam McLaughlin's guidance and later became General Motors of Canada.

Then a stop for ice cream in the small town of Bethany, and back onto the major highways for the 2 hr+ blast for home.

Keith

TourLeSabre.jpg

TourPiagio.jpg

TourTyrone1.jpg

TourReatta.jpg

• Like 4

Today I had the Electra out for a shortish drive, it was a hot day today, so I was interested to see how it's AC was working. It recently had a new compressor, and of course a full recharge with a compliant refrigerant. It worked great! Nice and cool inside, despite the black roof and interior. However if only the engine would stay as cool.

I'm not sure what is going on with this, as I have a heavy four core rad in it. Everything seems to be right, timing, fan, etc., but there is something going on in this thing. Either it is builds too much heat, or something is stopping it for from getting rid of it.

Here's a shot of it in front of the same church where I took one of the '56 Roadmaster some weeks ago.

Keith

ElectraLaSal.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure we disabled them in the open position during the rebuild.

Should only be one, but also what about running too lean?  

21 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Should only be one, but also what about running too lean?  

All looks good, but it is something I'm wondering about. I'm thinking of asking a friend of mine to put an O2 sensor on it and see what it shows. All of the obvious stuff has been checked and looks good.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Thanks for those pictures.  That's a sweet looking '61!  I also noticed that '72 Mark IV...  ;)

And the 67/68 Cougar...I used to own a 68 XR7....I do miss that car.

• Like 1

Was able to get the Wagon over to replace the left rear quarter emblem finally.  The original had part of the "N" missing, but I was able to find a decent replacement a few years ago, just never seemed to find the time to clean up all the old glue residue and reset the emblem tape.  Ironically, despite the missing piece, the original emblem paint was in better condition to the replacement.  Didn't really notice until I had it off to compare, but it's low enough on the car that it looks fine either way.  After that was completed, I used the car for the rest of the day running errands and eventually heading down to the beach for an evening walk with my wife.  At 8pm on a Sunday, the beach was still pretty packed!  

The car runs so well after my recent tune-up it is just a pleasure to drive... particularly given I've also finally got the AC working!  Just about 50 miles of running around with a smile on my face!  

wagon script.jpg

wagon beach.jpg

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Tonight we had an after dinner tour with a local car club. It was mainly a long drive through some lovely country, some of which I'd never been through before and then an ice cream stop at the end of the run. About 75 miles or so, which is quite an afternoon and evening run, includes getting to the start and getting home filled with ice cream! We are still a bit new to the area having been here a little over three years now, so there is still much to learn and see!

I took the Electra, and it was a fairly hot afternoon, mid 80's F and we used the AC on the way there, but then "hard topped it" after that(No AC). The tour was at modest speeds, about 40 mph and the Electra ran very very cool, like right down at 160 for some of the time. Then at higher speeds it will run quite a bit hotter. This was interesting to see how ran at these speeds. We did nearly 2 hours of driving on the tour. Getting to the starting point, driving 55 MPH with the AC running it was about 190. Then driving home, cooler temps, no AC and at 55 again it was about 175-180.

This is pushing me to think it is running too lean at higher speeds. Otherwise it was smooth as silk and lovely. The AC is super cold too.

The photo was taken right before we left the ice cream stop.

Keith

IMG_20210720_2023571.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

This is pushing me to think it is running too lean at higher speeds.

Keith, are all of the rubber fillers that direct air toward the radiator in place as original?  It's interesting that the car runs cool at lower speeds but gets hotter at highway speed.  Aside from the additional aerodynamic drag, that 430 shouldn't be working too hard to maintain 60 mph (100 kph).  So, there may be somewhat more heat load going into the radiator, but the air moving through the core at highway speed should offset that.  At 40 mph, however, I expect that the fan may be engaging from time-to-time in order to maintain the airflow needed to maintain temperature.  Anyway, my point is that it sounds as though the car stays cool when air is pulled through the radiator by the fan, while at highway speed perhaps air forced through the grille is finding a 'path of less resistance' that bypasses the radiator.  I don't recall the situation for a '69 Electra, but some cars did have rubber fillers that covered gaps between the grille opening and the core support to direct air through the radiator.  Just something else to consider...

Was finally able to take the car cover and padding off the Regal for the first time in two weeks.  So theres at least a chance of getting to the car thats in the garage in front of it.  Sure wish we could transport some of these storms out West. 

1 hour ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Larry, know anyone in your circle with a 1918 open Buick for sale ?

What are you looking for? 6 cyl E-45,  4 cyl E-35 which are 5 passenger touring cars or a roadster, E-44, E-34.  

I just saw an E-45 for sale a couple of weeks ago, but did not pay any attention because I am more in the 1915 and earlier brass era.  Let me know and I will ask around.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

What are you looking for? 6 cyl E-45,  4 cyl E-35 which are 5 passenger touring cars or a roadster, E-44, E-34.  

I just saw an E-45 for sale a couple of weeks ago, but did not pay any attention because I am more in the 1915 and earlier brass era.  Let me know and I will ask around.

6 cyl E-45.  Like the open valve train.  Bigger motor.  Seen a few for sale on Hemmings, etc. rather a known car if at all possible.

18 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

6 cyl E-45.  Like the open valve train.  Bigger motor.  Seen a few for sale on Hemmings, etc. rather a known car if at all possible.

Remember that you are buying an old used car.  Like any used car it will need to be sorted out to become a "dependable driver" driver that matches you definition of "dependable"

From my experience it can take a year of two to several years to get to that point.

Two items to remember is that the old car hobby is not for the faint of heart or wallet. 

Also a general motto is, Drive it, Break it, Fix it, Repeat.  Don't ever think you are alone.  Those of us that drive our cars are with you because we all have been there, done that. 

That said you meet some of the nicest people the older the cars are.  Not that all car owners are not nice, but with older cars everyone depends on each other to keep their cars running and finding parts to keep them running.  You can not just go to the local auto parts store and buy parts or Amazon or RockAuto to order what you need.

• Like 7

The rad is a brand new 4 core, high density core, the rad hose is new, and it has the supporting spring inside so that it does collapse under suction. The block is clean, it was completely boiled out when the engine was rebuilt a couple of years ago. Timing is right, perhaps just a touch on the advanced side, but not retarded for sure. Fan and clutch are good and believed to be the correct ones.

The carb is correct, and in good order, however during the engine rebuild stage one valves and cam were installed. So this leads me to wonder about the mixture. The belief at the time was the engine will draw what it needs, but I am wondering about that.

Everything I can think of has been checked, double checked, and more.