Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

13 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

The rad is a brand new 4 core, high density core, the rad hose is new, and it has the supporting spring inside so that it does collapse under suction. The block is clean, it was completely boiled out when the engine was rebuilt a couple of years ago. Timing is right, perhaps just a touch on the advanced side, but not retarded for sure. Fan and clutch are good and believed to be the correct ones.

The carb is correct, and in good order, however during the engine rebuild stage one valves and cam were installed. So this leads me to wonder about the mixture. The belief at the time was the engine will draw what it needs, but I am wondering about that.

Everything I can think of has been checked, double checked, and more.

(Mabey start a new thread on this)  Anyhow get out your infrared heat gun and demonstrate adequate temperature drop from the thermostat housing and  water pump attachment at the lower hose.  Use same heat gun to check the exhaust manifold runners.  Hot engine at 2000 rpm.

And demonstrate that the vacuum advance is functioning.

• Thanks 1

I took the '60 out to a local "Cars and Breakfast" meetup that I used to attend regularly. The restaurant we used to go to closed due to Covid and the group disbanded, I and others worked to get it going again. Today was the first try at a new location and we had a pretty good turnout. Hopefully we can go back to this being a weekly thing.  As is often the case I was the only Buick there, sorry no pics I will get some next time.

• Like 3

Just had a nice drive through RI and nearby CT. Stopped in Woodstock CT to have my lunch and watch an old time baseball game. Actually I stayed for two. It took a while to realize how the fly outs were granted. While there some people came over to see my car. One of the women said her grandfather had a 1938 Buick. 
It was a beautiful day in New England for a drive.

5361FA81-8AFC-4E3C-8E32-052E1A27E123.jpeg

46F9D3F2-C6BF-4FE0-BBF1-07A1A78C1D87.jpeg

• Like 10

Two recent rides in my Buicks. First was the Reatta. As I posted a few days ago we took it on an long all day tour on Sunday, but since then I had just parked it in the garage and it needed filling. So on Thurs I needed to go to a friend's place which happens to be not too far from where the natives have a large gas station. Now here in Canada the natives get a break on a lot of things, and the fuel is one of them, they don't pay the same level of tax as those buying fuel off of the reservation. So I thought it should have enough to get there, which it did. This was a record distance on a single tank for the car, 676 km, or about 420 miles, which worked out to just about dead on 30 MPG, Imperial, which is about 27 per US gallon. Quite good! Certainly better than any of the others do! That trip was about another 50 miles all together.

It was such a nice evening yesterday my son and I took the '41 Roadmaster out for a 25 mile drive through the countryside.

Sorry, no pictures!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, jvelde said:

If you were at the Hydeout Cafe, there was another Buick, my 1939 Business Coupe!

IMG_1695.JPG.eff57ed6bc216835dcbff0adee5b28b8.JPGIMG_1687.JPG.4680518100d6d7cc3411ff7f8a56939c.JPGIMG_1691.JPG.3671955504b76f22961995cd7d0445cf.JPGIMG_1692.JPG.9d254837574d15f2e66bf7cc1bb335d4.JPGIMG_1693.JPG.4b2239609e4fa43473552f52dfde1f39.JPGIMG_1694.JPG.7ad1cfbc6e280bc7a9e9a4dd60972792.JPG

Sorry about that. My prewar Buick knowledge is lacking but I should have recognized that grille! I'll look for you next time, thanks for the photos. 

Had the Electra out last night.  Lots of horses around what with the start of the racing meet at Saratoga Springs. 

20210724_185025(1).jpg

Had the Super out tonite.  Heavy humidity and clouds turned the setting sun into a bright orange ball

20210725_193604.jpg

And a short while later I stopped at one of the locks on the Mohawk River

20210725_195700(1).jpg

20210725_195949(1).jpg

High water levels this year due to a soggy July weather pattern.

20210725_200018.jpg

• Like 12

Was able to take the Electra out for an evening drive, the first real drive since having the springs and a few suspension pieces replaced. Hard to find back roads in the City, but there are still a few!  North arm of the Fraser river, prime storage for log booms. 

B59069C2-C602-4BB8-A114-0FEA5A748CEF.jpeg.aa63c60545f95c6bd0e42ce747a314e8.jpeg

was also asked by a long time friend to provide the Electra as a get away car after his wedding in August so there will need to be some detailing done!

• Like 11

Several of us from the Tarheel Buick Club (Raleigh, NC) met in Kinston, NC for a NC BBQ lunch and tour of the CSS Neuse Interpretive Center.

We had the following Buicks show up:

1968 Electra 225 convertible (Canadian) owned by Roland and Valerie D.

1968 Riviera "The Aqua Zephyr" owned by Mike and Nora S.

1965 Skylark convertible owned by Paul and Mindy S.

1965 GS convertible owned by Chuck M.

We also had a member show up in their 2002 Ford Thunderbird, which was a very nice car, I have to admit!_MAS1178.JPG.999c6ff3fa91611d047bc506845b2815.JPG

_MAS1164.JPG.b59589bfe18ba018e8048520200e3e35.JPG

_MAS1163.JPG.2ca711ccf81c68d8ab971443229c3b0f.JPG

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 9

Great day for a ride in a Buick. I took the Roadmaster out for a five hour cruise in nearby CT and RI. It was a beautiful day in the mid 70's. I did not see any other Buicks on the road today, but was invited to see a 1939 LaSalle and a 1965 Cadillac. While at the gas station a 1959 Edsel pulled in for gas as well. It was a nice 4 door Corsair. 

IMG_4747.jpg

IMG_44811.jpg

• Like 5

First time out of the garage in over two years. This '92 Park Avenue isn't my idea of an "antique" but it has qualified for old car activities for the last 4 years and will get "historic vehicle" plates next year. Despite having 311,000 km on it, it always starts right up, blows cold air, and is as comfortable as a living room sofa. 

1992 Buick Park Avenue 2021-08-02.JPG

• Like 5

Out with a small group of pre '16 enthusiasts Sunday, from left to right '13 White, '06 Cadillac and our '13 Buick, great day when they all run well.

Regards, Gary

DSC_5250.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, dibarlaw said:

Sorry to say this will be the last weekend drive for "LUCY" our 1937.

thumbnail_20210801_190036.jpg.a74e30a24ed0f983c8429d3151cfa17a.jpg

We got T-Boned coming from our Mason-Dixon Chapter picnic yesterday.

Geeze Larry!  I am so sorry!  I hope you did not get hurt!  But the Buick looks to be in a tough situation. 

3 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

Joan and I were a little bruised and shaken up but we are fine.

Thankfully you and Joan are ok!  That is quite the hit!  Hope you both recover soon...

• Like 1

Been trying to use the GS a bit more so I can run the A/C a bit. That is a story in itself but not for this thread. 

At any rate tonite was a good opportunity to get it out for a run after dinner. Along the way I noticed the corn was getting high.

20210802_213132.jpg

Later on I hit this road which is a spur of the local highway system. No houses and wide open!  And usually a place to exercise all the horses...

20210802_194911.jpg

The GS (s) really like this stretch...😚

• Like 5

We went out for a 30 mile cruise in the '56 Roadmaster after supper. It was a lovely evening here, and I stopped here for a couple of pics. This grain field has already been harvested. Unlike in other areas we have had quite a lot of rain so far this summer, which some crops quite like, so it has been good the farmers.

Keith

IMG_20210802_1943291.jpg

• Like 6

That is so sad to hear & see plus I think everyone's worst nightmare!

Glad you both were not hurt badly!

Is it appropriate to ask here just what happened as to the the circumstances a car would hit you like that? (if not the post can be deleted)

Was the other driver texting? Ran a stop sign? Like I see all the time, just someone is in a rush and rolling the sign?

I feel for you on many counts.

Doug

As others have already said, I'm glad that nobody was seriously hurt.  Still, it's sad to see this happen to one of my favorite Buicks.  Accidents do happen, however, as Doug noted above, it seems as though there are more 'non-accidental' contributors these days.  I'll add ignorance (or maybe it's just egocentric behavior) to the list.  I was driving my GP to a cruise-in yesterday when I came to a red light at an intersection.  I was signaling a left-turn.  When the light turned green I pulled into the intersection waiting to turn.  The opposing car continued straight through the intersection and the car behind it was also signaling a left-turn.  Given that we were both turning left, I began my turn and about half-way through I see a young woman in a car approaching along the right shoulder in an attempt to turn right onto the same road I'm headed for.  I blew my horn, which caused her to pause, but I'm certain she had no idea why I did that and was probably angry that I delayed her progress.  Defensive driving has never been more important...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/2/2021 at 2:39 PM, dibarlaw said:

Thank you John:

Joan and I were a little bruised and shaken up but we are fine.

I can't say the same for Lucy.thumbnail_20210801_184108.jpg.ff1f0edc018e5d824dfbb17474aa9446.jpg

I just saw this and I'm so glad you're OK, Larry. That's really scary and while the car is damaged, the important thing is that the people aren't hurt. Cars are just things, they can be replaced. The lack of injuries is something to be thankful for, even though it's probably tough to see it that way right now. I know I'd be angry enough to tear someone's head off!

Like everyone else here, I'm just happy you and your family weren't injured.

• Like 1