JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

I didn’t drive any today, but I did see each and every one of my Buick collection.  I started a thread in the photos forum and got most of them up before running up against a repeated warning for 9.77 MB, so perhaps I’ll try again tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did not get a picture, but the wife and I drove almost 60 miles on the 1913 car on Sunday after church.  Trying to get all of the bugs out and know the car better.  We are getting ready to go touring this summer with this car and the '15 truck.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Yup, we drove 1938 “Black Beauty” most of the Easter weekend, probably put over 100 miles on her. Mainly sealed country roads with a detour over a steep downhill stretch of dirt! Tested out both the brakes and engine braking in second!

FF19C322-6061-4436-8388-3A9A1387EA96.jpeg  

She ain’t afraid of the dirt neither!

7FAD11FC-2F7E-41C0-88AE-47443EE75D56.jpeg

Edited by rodneybeauchamp
Separate photos (see edit history)
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1

Drove to a nice small town on the eastern shore of MD.   It was an American Legion car show.     The group pictured here, like me, did not get the memo it was canceled due to weather.  Well, we all parked anyway.  The Legion did bring out the music and held an impromptu show as a small group did bring their cars.  Eventually a few more showed up.   The Legion opened at 12:00.  Promptly at 12:01 the drinking began.  Early starters in this town I'm guessing.  Great people and super friendly.   I packed it in not long after and headed home on the lovely country roads. 136 miles round trip.  I reserve my cocktails until after 5:00.

57297826_10216479699056689_6625936370701

• Like 8

1 hour ago, avgwarhawk said:

I reserve my cocktails until after 5:00.

Good idea, although it is not polite to turn down one when offered.

Then again it is always 5:00 somewhere.;)

But if driving, wait till you are parked at home.

• Like 2

I put about a 100 Miles on the "puff" since taking it off the U-haul, trailer then Sunday I got the transmission filter and oil for the transfusion and made a mess of my driveway, which I expected, having done one of these before, and hopefully will run for while,  Oh and I washed it yesterday by hand!

20190421_185932_resized.jpg

20190421_194600_resized.jpg

20190422_165554_resized.jpg

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

I drove my 1915 Bumble Buick for the first time this morning.  It needed adjustments for the brakes, and the clutch was so grabby it sheared the driveline flange bolts when I backed out of the shop (they were not grade 8 bolts, but they are now).  Tomorrow I will treat the clutch to some Neatsfoot Oil and see how it goes...

Second drive went will enough to drive it to the Buick Barn next to our RV.  

This makes room for one of her sisters at the home workshop to be lubed and readied for touring season.

IMG_20190425_160105932.jpg

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Was a beautiful day yesterday and so I took the convertible to Marywood University for music practice with the wind ensemble. We are practicing the music for the graduation ceremony right around the corner.

The Director of music loves my car and asked if he could sit in her.  Of course.....

My tuba sitting by the car in the first picture.

097BEEA3-5C08-4320-9001-5D83723A0085.jpeg

5AE160DE-CD86-422F-870D-B16BFFE293CB.jpeg

• Like 9

We went to a local car club meeting last night, it had been a nice, though cool and dry day, so I decided to take the '41. Couldn't believe that I was the only person to drive their old car there. No pictures, so you guys (perhaps girls too) will have to trust me! Total of 21 miles smooth driving miles.

Keith

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jackofalltrades70 said:

My tuba sitting by the car

So, you're into heavy metal.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, old-tank said:

So, you're into heavy metal.

Is the shadow playing the 🎷 sax?

• Haha 1

I have a Yamaha alto sax upstairs, but haven’t played in years.  The youngest played tuba in the high school band.

Maybe we need a sister thread, Raise your hand if you played with your instrument this weekend?   😁

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Maybe we need a sister thread, Raise your hand if you played with your instrument this weekend?   😁

My grandson and i BOTH PLAY TRUMPET, ALONG WITH ALL THE OTHER BRASS INSTRUMENTS.

He hopes to be a symphony musician. I made my career in software and Data Center aministration, but playing trumpet with bands through the yers paid for the house(s), kuds' tuition, cars, more cars, more tuition, club travel, etc.

Local AACA Chapter tour tomorrow to the VA Retirement Home, a local Air Show, and then lunch-

... and the 1937 Roadmaster 80C Phaeton is ready to roll-

pics tomorrow !

• Like 4

Almendrón ready for two shows this weekend, pictures will follow 

D4571861-EA31-40DF-9D93-7AF886A6E24D.jpeg

A2C0B859-794E-42C6-8DF7-8ACC0FE6C690.jpeg

83E45EB5-2991-4ABB-812C-21AABDBC049B.jpeg

F0B6CB7E-1A40-4D98-AA01-0EE8ABD63782.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Raise your hand if you played with your instrument this weekend?

Funny you should ask. I played Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody on piano a short while ago.

Keith

Getting back to the subject, the '41 is gassed up and ready to go on a tour tomorrow. Likely going to be well over 100 miles.

Also, just got the engine back for the poor, sick Electra, and painted it tonight. Sun we start to put it back in, and hopefully soon I'll be posting about that car here again!

KC

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Buicknutty said:

Funny you should ask. I played Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody on piano a short while ago.

Oh Mama Mia! The only song I can play is Old Mc Donald had a farm.... in a harmonica

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

My grandson and i BOTH PLAY TRUMPET, ALONG WITH ALL THE OTHER BRASS INSTRUMENTS.

My Dad, myself, and my son all played trumpet, and all on the same instrument which we still have.  That instrument has see a lot of use through three generations. In high school I also played French horn which both of our daughters played through school.  Met my wife in the band in college.  Best find of my life!!

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I know this thread has deviated a bit but enjoy hearing about everyone's music interests.

In a round about way let me say when I bought my '58 Special I was in a Drum Corps initially playing a soprano horn. The next year I played a contrabass along with two others.

This was in Toronto, Ontario, Canada at the CNE Grounds where we competed that year and won 2nd place in our class which was pretty good for a group of kids ages 10 through 19.

I'll leave it to you to guess which one is me.

IMG_20180602_195050.thumb.jpg.39406be6d564f5fd7e46c3e8b8b58f86.jpg

Unlike you Larry I didn't meet my wife while there (that came after the Drum Corps) but sure learned a lot about LIFE travelling to various competitions and parades and such...! 

Need to look and see if I have a shot of the Special or the Limited in the background while at practice....

Now... back to driving the Special this weekend once it warms up a bit. 

I really don't want to put the top up....

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Took the '73 Sun Coupe to a Luncheon today in Westport Ct. with my wife. Madison Ave Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society had a special lunch at a members French restaurant and he showed off some of his Vintage Italian Race cars. My friend with his 66 GT 350 (Original owner) and me with my Gran Sport were the only American cars there. The FORD GT is American too, almost forgot that one. Had a great time watched some videos of the Vintage Eyetalion cars being raced and winning at Goodwood Races last year then a fantastic French lunch. The Sun Coupe ran great. It was its first time out and only needed a new battery to start the year. Drove around 70 miles roundtrip.

IMG_7030.JPG

IMG_7023.JPG

IMG_7019.JPG

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Today, we drove to meet a Club group we're members of to tour a mid 19th century pumphouse in Hamilton, Ontario. Total there and back mileage was about 130, on the '41 Roadmaster. The weather was not the greatest, dry, but just above freezing when we left, we even drove through a snow squal, but fortunately it was brief, thought the wind was the issue most of the day. It blew us around quite a bit, and I had to take a major highway for a stretch. Not much fun driving, even at 45/50 we were being pushed around. Made it there safely and met up wit the rest of the bunch.

The only trouble with the car, was that right after we stopped, I was told that the parking lot on the other side was were we supposed to park, only it wouldn't start, no cranking at all. Seemed to be the carb starter swtich, then I was told that it was alright to just leave it there. Fine, so I did, but right after the tour was over I scooted out to it, but I just hit the starter again, and away it went!

This pumphouse was designed to pump water for all of Hamilton, which in 1860, when it was constructed was only about 20,000, but a few years before they had had a cholera outbreak that killed 100's of people, in the fairly small population of the time, so the city govn't decided something needed to be done.

Two huge walking beam steam engines, built locally, with all of the stone for construction coming local as well, the Niagara Escarpment is a vast mine of limestone. Hundred's of miles long, and several hundred feet high, left over from long past upheavals. This was state of the art mid 19 th century engineering. The design is amazing, the cast iron supports look like Greek columns, and similar treatments throughout. This was when even such industrial places like this were made to look pleasing. The steam engines drove pumps that pumped water from nearby Lake Ontario, up onto the escarpment where they had built a resevior, (called locally Hamilton Mountain, but its' not a mountain, anywhere else), a distance of about 6 miles, and then the water was gravity fed to residents from there, residents that had the money to pay for the piping, that is.

The other neat thing about this place is that on certain days, a steam club brings their scale live steam locomotives here to run them on specially built track. Sadly, today wasn't one of those days.

Here are a few pictures

Keith

Pumphouse1.jpg

Pumphouse2Out.jpg

Pumphouse3In.jpg

Pumphouse4In.jpg

Pumphouse6Win.jpg

Pumphouse5In.jpg

• Like 4

We spent the day with The Aqua Zephyr at this years Goodguys NC Nationals car show at the NC State Fairgrounds in Raleigh, NC

The weather was perfect after rain and strong gusts the day before!

We had a lot of folks stop by and ask "How do those headlights work?" or just to talk about who they knew that had one when they were growing up. No judging today. We were just there to enjoy the beautiful spring day, admire some great works or rolling art and meet lots of Buick enthusiasts!

IMG_9772.thumb.JPG.3b7fc776f5fb8b29cbe89c49288fdba2.JPG

• Like 4