JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

Well, maybe Spring is really here to stay this time...  Took Goldie to Cars 'n Coffee Saturday morning.

IMG_0899.JPG

I know there are some Reatta fans out there (first I've seen thisIMG_0895.JPG one locally).

OK, so this is an Olds, but I figured Doug would still appreciate it!

IMG_0898.JPG

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I was going to tow my 1937 Century to Auburn, Indiana for the 36-38 Buick Club tour. The borrowed 2014 Ford F250 Super Duty tow truck suffered a major brake system failure about 2 hours into the trip. I limped it to a Ford dealer and left the truck and trailer there. I unloaded the Century and drove it over 300 miles today. I am about half way there, so tomorrow, I will have between 300 and 350 miles more to drive.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I was going to tow my 1937 Century to Auburn, Indiana for the 36-38 Buick Club tour. The borrowed 2014 Ford F250 Super Duty tow truck suffered a major brake system failure about 2 hours into the trip. I limped it to a Ford dealer and left the truck and trailer there. I unloaded the Century and drove it over 300 miles today. I am about half way there, so tomorrow, I will have between 300 and 350 miles more to drive.  

This deserves more than just a "like".  Wish we had a WOW button!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MCHinson said:

The borrowed 2014 Ford F250 Super Duty tow truck suffered a major brake system failure about 2 hours into the trip. I limped it to a Ford dealer and left the truck and trailer there.

I bet that Ford had a dual master cylinder, front disc brakes, radial tires, 12 volt electrics. Just thinkin', you know.

Bernie

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We arrived at the host hotel just after 4 pm today. That makes it almost exactly 24 hours for the trip from Cary, North Carolina to Auburn, Indiana, with a stop overnight in Charleston, WV. The trip odometer shows 702 miles traveled when we arrived at the hotel. It was a great trip. We enjoyed some of the variety of the roadways seen in the US. We traveled on a lot of Interstates, some other large roads, small mountain country roads, a bit of the old Lincoln Highway and about everything else you can imagine.  We ate a great meal at an Ohio truck stop that has been in operation since the 1950s on the LIncoln Highway. The waitress asked if she could have a photo taken with the car, so we went outside and another of the employees took a bunch of photos of her with our car.  I took a few photos on the road to hopefully capture a small sample of the sights. These were shot with the "hold up the camera, point it through the windshield without looking through the viewfinder, and push the button technique". On Sunday, I typically drove between 65 and 75 miles per hour most of the trip. Today, since I was not trying to get anwhere before it got dark, I took my time and we cruised at 65 mph. I knew that the speedometer was off a little so when I thought to check it via gps today, I remembered that it displays 3 mph slow at those speeds, so I guess today's average cruising speed was actually 68. This Century is happiest when going down the road with the speedometer showing between 60 and 65. The Ford truck had a nice air conditioner, but to be honest, we were comfortable in the Buick going down the road with just the cowl vent open and the back wing windows open. That gives you a nice gentle breeze through the car with little wind noise. For those who think you need to modify a car to enjoy it, I will point out that this is a 6 volt car with bias ply tires, and the original unpressurized coolant system. It never needed a drop of water added to the radiator. We have already had a great trip and now we get to tour with friends old and new in the 36-38 Buick Club for a few days! 

DSC_0341.JPG

DSC_0344.JPG

DSC_0345.JPG

DSC_0346.JPG

DSC_0348.JPG

DSC_0351.JPG

DSC_0352.JPG

DSC_0353.JPG

DSC_0354.JPG

DSC_0355.JPG

DSC_0356.JPG

DSC_0365.JPG

DSC_0362.JPG

• Like 15

14 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

We arrived at the host hotel just after 4 pm today. That makes it almost exactly 24 hours for the trip from Cary, North Carolina to Auburn, Indiana, with a stop overnight in Charleston, WV. The trip odometer shows 702 miles traveled when we arrived at the hotel. It was a great trip. We enjoyed some of the variety of the roadways seen in the US. We traveled on a lot of Interstates, some other large roads, small mountain country roads, a bit of the old Lincoln Highway and about everything else you can imagine.  We ate a great meal at an Ohio truck stop that has been in operation since the 1950s on the LIncoln Highway. The waitress asked if she could have a photo taken with the car, so we went outside and another of the employees took a bunch of photos of her with our car.  I took a few photos on the road to hopefully capture a small sample of the sights. These were shot with the "hold up the camera, point it through the windshield without looking through the viewfinder, and push the button technique".

DSC_0341.JPG

DSC_0344.JPG

DSC_0345.JPG

WOW 2!  Thanks for sharing all the photos Matt!  Looks like an excellent adventure!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 50jetback said:

12 Buicks from the Western Australian Buick Club put around 500 mile on the clocks over Friday,  Saturday and Sunday on the annual Autumn Run.

http://www.westernbuicks.org/autumn-run-may-2018/

Another WOW post!  Great tour opportunity.  Thanks for sharing those pics Stuart. 

Another first for this year.

This was the Official start of the weekly Monday Night Cruise-In's at a local bar/restaurant called Brews and Cues. Had an excellent beer battered fish and chips dinner and spent the evening looking at about 50 cars. Some new ones have showed up over the winter. 

The day/evening was nice so a great start for the local car season!

IMG_2991.JPG.38da428a578f7d00310e5089063fedee.JPG

• Like 2

Today is VE Day, for Victory in Europe, the beginning of the end of WWII, so I was invited to bring the '41 down to Nathan Phillips Square, a large public space outside of Toronto City Hall, for the celebration. There were a few other cars as well, my friend with his '41 Special sedan, an ex Canadian Army Jeep, a '40 Ford, and a '51 Lincoln.

It was a good day, weather was perfect, car ran well, and I dressed up in a double breasted suit and Fedora to fit the period. The driving to and especially from, had terrible traffic. The mileage for the day wasn't too high, maybe about 30 or so round trip, but it felt longer due to the slow traffic.

Spoke to many, many people, and I let a few sit in the car, and there must of been hundreds of pictures taken of it. The young woman pictured sitting in it, wanted her picture taken with her and me standing beside the car. Wish I'd had a picture of that! I asked someone to get a shot of us, but they messed it up. Many people were tourists, and one gent from Finland spent 15 minutes of so talking to me about my car, and telling me about his love for American made cars.

I also added a couple pictures of the City Hall, a rather spacey looking building with a saucer in the middle, flanked by the curved sections at the sides. Anyone guess when it was designed? Sixties, did someone say? You're right!

Keith

CityHall1.jpg

CityHall2.jpg

CityHall4.jpg

CityHall5.jpg

CityHall6.jpg

CityHall7.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Buicknutty said:

Today is VE Day, for Victory in Europe, the beginning of the end of WWII, so I was invited to bring the '41 down to Nathan Phillips Square, a large public space outside of Toronto City Hall, for the celebration. There were a few other cars as well, my friend with his '41 Special sedan, an ex Canadian Army Jeep, a '40 Ford, and a '51 Lincoln.

It was a good day, weather was perfect, car ran well, and I dressed up in a double breasted suit and Fedora to fit the period. The driving to and especially from, had terrible traffic. The mileage for the day wasn't too high, maybe about 30 or so round trip, but it felt longer due to the slow traffic.

Spoke to many, many people, and I let a few sit in the car, and there must of been hundreds of pictures taken of it. The young woman pictured sitting in it, wanted her picture taken with her and me standing beside the car. Wish I'd had a picture of that! I asked someone to get a shot of us, but they messed it up. Many people were tourists, and one gent from Finland spent 15 minutes of so talking to me about my car, and telling me about his love for American made cars.

I also added a couple pictures of the City Hall, a rather spacey looking building with a saucer in the middle, flanked by the curved sections at the sides. Anyone guess when it was designed? Sixties, did someone say? You're right!

Keith

CityHall1.jpg

CityHall2.jpg

CityHall4.jpg

CityHall5.jpg

CityHall6.jpg

CityHall7.jpg

I wish we'd been back in Canada for that, Keith. What a great opportunity to interact with the public that isn't a car show. Kudos!

• Like 2

More "Girls on Buicks" material!

CityHall5.jpg.cc7e9f0be02d0c9117aaae20c1

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I wish we'd been back in Canada for that, Keith. What a great opportunity to interact with the public that isn't a car show. Kudos!

Thank you, Matt. That was part of the reason I did it. All sorts of people cross through that "Square", as its near a main Provincial courthouse, and many businesses.

• Like 1

Today, we traveled another 60 or so miles. First we traveled to the Black Pines Animal Sanctuary. After that, we had a great lunch at the Kountry Kitchen restaurant. We then toured an amazing Shell Oil and Coca Cola themed collection. We then toured the Mid-America Windmill Museum. It was a fun day.

DSC_0391.JPG

DSC_0475.JPG

DSC_0482.JPG

DSC_0487.JPG

DSC_0493.JPG

DSC_0513.JPG

DSC_0517.JPG

DSC_0384.JPG

• Like 11

Today, we drove about 40 miles. We enjoyed an informative tour at the Sechler Pickle factory.  We drove through a covered bridge. We toured the Hoosier Air Museum and enjoyed a great lunch on the site.  We later returned to Auburn where there were several different museums to choose from. 

After I got back to the hotel, I realized that I brought the camera charger for my old camera rather than the new camera. I drove about 40 miles round trip to Fort Wayne to pick up a charger that would work from Batteries Plus. Later this evening, I determined that the new charger was defective. I called and confirmed that they had another in stock so I made the 40 mile round trip a second time before they closed this evening. With the two trips to Batteries Plus, I drove a total of 120 miles today.

DSC_0568.JPG

DSC_0592.JPG

DSC_0609.JPG

DSC_0602.JPG

DSC_0651.JPG

• Like 12

Today, was a low mileage day. We enjoyed a guided tour of the historic Dekalb County Courthouse. We got to go into some private areas behind the scenes to see the details of the construction of the stained glass dome and other interesting features from1911, including the elevator equipment that is still in use from that time period. We rounded up most of the group for a group photo outside of the courthouse. After a lunch downtown, folks were free to take their own choices of tours of local museums, such as the ACD Museum and the NATMUS museum. This evening we enjoyed our closing banquet at the host hotel. Tomorrow some will head home and others will be staying for the upcoming AACA Auburn Meet, Swap Meet, and RM Auction.

DSC_0683.JPG

DSC_0701.JPG

DSC_0706.JPG

DSC_0709.JPG

DSC_0711.JPG

DSC_0730.JPG

DSC_0741.JPG

DSC_0748.JPG

• Like 12

Wonderful photos. And the Buick is doing  Very Well. The General Lee is a laugh, they must have wrecked at least one of those in every program and on every jump.

out running around in the '39 yesterday and stopped by the Farmers Branch Rose Garden and Park.  Took a few photos of the garden and the Buick while I was there.

IMG_0669.JPG.086dccf17301ae177fd9cbbc0960b3d3.JPGIMG_0676.JPG.6239c315809c0a7446b9144623e8c6df.JPGIMG_0679.JPG.9d942e5e4a05b1a62b46674252c16b81.JPGIMG_0682.JPG.15f5ab4f9fae86ba460d83c69e98c474.JPGIMG_0678.JPG.0c9bb095b565435bd97fce75a19ffee6.JPG

• Like 9

325-mile round trip in the '70 stick shift Wildcat today for a N. Texas Chapter meeting in Hillsboro, an hour or so south of Dallas. Photo is taken in downtown Waxahachie. I'll also include a photo of the Ellis County Courthouse, which is one of the most beautiful courthouses in the state, right across the street from the first photo.

IMG_6883.JPG

Ellis County courthouse, resized.jpg

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)
  • Like 13

Racked up 80 miles this weekend.

0513181726.jpg.55dd318ad3a58aa5c5e7d59fd7fc8cca.jpg

It seems the more its driven the more the little idiosyncrasies disappear. Looks like the key is to not drive the others inbetween?

0513181725.jpg

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 10

was a 45 mile day in the GS.  Gassed it up and when entering the data in my file, discovered the last time I put gas in it was back on October 17th 2017. 

969126328_GSbackroads0002.JPG.4e932f11020d517e0b3fa18ba62a74d7.JPG

1352914460_GSbackroads0001.JPG.66c2b09e08211f9920812e2aa2541cdf.JPG

• Like 9

This week was the start of the local cruise nights, so I took the Reatta, for its' unveiling, so to speak. Also there was a Mazda Miata, that had been converted to a V8, by way of a shop in the US which changes the entire driveline, strengthens the chassis, so it will handle the power of the GM crate LS3 engine. They call themselves "Flying Miata"

I can get myself into enough trouble with the 165 HP the Reatta has, never mind 500+! Zowie!

Keith

CruiseNight1.jpg

CruiseNight2.jpg

CruiseNight3.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

John...you always have good camera shots!  You missed your calling...

• Thanks 1