JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

Drove my 1970 stick shift Wildcat 240 miles round trip to the Pate Swap Meet north of Ft. Worth, Texas this weekend. Had time to wax and polish it all over--cleanest it has been in 3 or 4 years! First Pate Swap meet in many years that wasn't threatened by spring thunderstorms or hail!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

IMG_6503.JPG

IMG_6504.JPG

• Like 16

Had a nice Buick day. I used the Reatta for some errands this morning, then after supper I took the 41 Roadmaster out for a 45 min drive. When I was at the gas station, it was gathering quite a bit of attention already, when a Telsa pulled in, (at a gas station?!), and the driver, a 30's to 40's guy, stared raving about the car.  Turns out, the reason he was in the gas station was to run his electric car through the car wash!

Keith

Buick41_atDuskSml.jpg

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Forgive me for not being familiar with the vernacular, but what does "torch ball shoe change" mean? I'm sorry for not understanding, but I'd be very interested to know if those wheels were a bolt-on or if he needed to do some major modifications.

Thanks for sharing!

Hi Matt,

Apologies , didn’t notice spelling mistake , should have read torque ball , rubber shoe seal change , Buick owners always complain about the notorious Torque ball on transmission and tendency to leak , well mine did , but purchased new seal kit from Bobs automobilia basically little rubber shoe and following recommendation that guys shop was the best for American cars , ended up there and very satisfied , dry as bone since.

will ask him your question next week 

cheers 

pilgrim

My wife Bonnie finally got her first ride in "Miss Vicky", our '25 Buick Standard Coupe. In fact,it was the first run for the car this year.Runs like a watch.

Jim

1925 Buick first run 2018 001.JPG

• Like 17

Jim, very good looking car, what is the colour? On my screen it looks to be a very dark maroon.

Keith

20 minutes ago, Buicknutty said:

Jim, very good looking car, what is the colour? On my screen it looks to be a very dark maroon.

Keith

Hi Keith

It is a maroon colour.I don't know from what exactly.I plan on getting it scanned so I can at least get some touchup for it.

Got a chance to add about 40 more miles to the Queen today. Its so quiet enroute.  Its a super Buick!

0502181912b-1.jpg

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

Its a super Buick!

I knew it wasn't a Special...

but a super Buick. LOL!

• Haha 1

"Long live the Queen!"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

Long live the Queen!" 

Reminds me of singing "God Save the Queen" every morning in school

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, J.H.Boland said:

It is a maroon colour.I don't know from what exactly.I plan on getting it scanned so I can at least get some touchup for it

Ir reminds me of a '41 colour, Titan Maroon, that is so dark it looks black, especially in poor light.

Keith

Drove to the National WWII Museum Wednesday with VERY SPECIAL PASSENGER Kathryn Smith in the 1937 Roadmaster Phaeton :

Reenacting the role of FDR's Gatekeeper Marguerite (Missy) LeHand, private secretary and Right-Hand Woman for more than twenty years, serving as de facto Chief of Staff to the president, a position never held before or since by a woman, Kathryn Smith offered a presentation at the National WWII Museum.

She arrived in grand style since this Buick, in the service of NYC Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia, did transport President Franklin Delano Roosevelt as well as other dignitaries in Ticker Tape Parades. 

We aquired the Buick back in 2009, at that time showing a mere 7,xxx miles. Having driven several national tours, it exceeds 13,xxx on the odometer. Retaining the original convertible top and most of its original paint and upholstery, the Roadmaster has been awarded the AACA HPOF and HPOF ORIGINAL recognition. It is occasionally called to serve for friend /family weddings, as well as functions such as this one.

We appreciate Tom Gibson, a friend of Kathryn, suggesting the idea of "Missy LeHand" arriving at the National WWII Museum in a car which actually may have transported LeHand, along with the president. Museum staff and publicity personnel were at the entrance to greet "Missy LeHand" as she arrived. The Roadmaster Phaeton and I were honored to have been a part of it. 1009182723_1937BuickatWWIIMuseum-4.jpg.49df851a0183d9dd0dd9139b54b819c6.jpg

1937 Buick at WWII Museum-3.jpg

1937 Buick at WWII Museum-2.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 10

On 4/29/2018 at 10:02 AM, Matt Harwood said:

I'd say you guys in Australia definitely know how to old car. Fantastic! Wish we could get that kind of outing going around here. I miss seeing a large group of pre-war cars on tour. 

You could always join us on the next run, there should be spare seats!  The American dollar is back with a vengeance so it would be kind of cheap for you to come across??!!

Well, we drove the 1971 Buick Riviera to church Sunday.  I drove the 1941 Buick Roadmaster out for real gas before taking it to a restoration shop in Sarasota, Florida, and we've driven the blue 1939 Buick all over town mostly test driving after rebuilding brakes, and working on a correct tune-up adjustment that revealed a bad coil and miss-set spark plug gaps.  Trying to get it ready for the upcoming AACA Sentimental Tour in Mississippi in November.

To her favorite National, Jamey Carroll, from Mrs. Judy Beauchamp of Sebring, FL a photo of her national prize winning restored 1971 Buick Riviera.JPG

Our 1941 Buick 71 B.JPG

Suzybelle at Hershey 4a.jpg

• Like 7

This wasn't the weekend but Monday, April 30, 2018 and a sad day for Buick Friends in Flint. The funeral for Robert A. Leets, past director, Buicktown Chapter, past Buick Club of America Board of Director, and DJ for the Back to the Bricks event in Flint. The Back to Bricks committee was asked to bring their cars to the funeral, well so did I. '68 GS 400 convertible 4-speed, red and several other BCA members and BTTB folks brought their cars. check the pictures out here!

20180430_135912_resized_1.jpg

20180430_140004_resized_1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

We drove The Aqua Zephyr to lunch today. It was a prefect day for a Sunday drive. The wife spotted the blooming Rhodesians so we had to stop, admire them and get a few pictures of the Riviera, too! 

20180506_110154.jpg.bc27776e135188d674a4d93e4488584b.jpg

20180506_114607.jpg.d8aa21878efe66c061152b65960667ce.jpg

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 5

We took the '75 Electra to a 2 hour show with the Lower Huson Valley BCA and a local Cadillac club to Green Chimney in Brewster NY. This is a school for the whole spectrum of developmentally challenged kids. The kids had a wonderful time touching, getting in the cars, blowing the horns occasionally. It was a wondeful feeling sharing our cars with them and it was a great group of kids. Some of us then went to a show in New Milford Ct. that started at 12 for a friend who suffers from Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. This was a well attended event with 225 cars, a mobile dyno and an eclectic gathering of cars ranging from Tuner cars, to American vintage. I left  that show with another Buick buddy about a half an hour from the end to get home early. On the ride home I recieved a phone call from another friend saying the Electra won Best of Show and he had my trophy. What a great and rewarding day in more ways then one. 

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1518.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1491.JPG

IMG_1492.JPG

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 11

Congratulations! I worked in Family Court the last few years of my Court system career. The court sent some kids to Green Chimneys residential treatment center. It always had a good reputation and the kids sent there seemed to do well

Edited by retirednow (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I have been a real delinquent with the Buicks this Spring. Today I stole the battery from the '38 Allis-Chalmers (it is a six volt but has no charging system, the 12 gives it a good kick) charged it and started the '64 Riviera for the first time since Fall. "Oh, crap, it would only take a couple hours to put a new plug in the manifold exhaust crossover." Forgot that.

We took the '60 Electra over to the next county for lunch on Friday. And I started the '86 Park Ave convertible early in the week, but didn't drive it on the two convertible days we had.

I bought two overhead doors for my garage last fall and parked the convert and the Riviera as if the doors were there, shut them off, and said, "I'll drive them out the new doors in the Spring, didn't happen either.

Those are excuses. The root of the delinquency is the BMW I bought in February. I figured it out a couple days ago while reading a post about venturing into the hobby in the Riviera Forum. Comments were made on the Dynaflow. I have always enjoyed them and they never seemed lacking to my driving style. I gotta tell you, that BMW 6 speed automatic feels like the Triple Turbine Dynaflow in my Electra. The shifts are imperceptible. I have felt it downshift coming into town a couple times but upshifts are like butter, The 6 liter V12 with 48 valves matches the 401 for my chauffeur style driving. My Wife and I both love it. She just unwillingly retired with osteoporosis. My truck, the '60 Buick, and the BMW are the only ones that feel good to ride in. This week we will get the '60 out a little more. AND I will park the cars 90 degrees so I can get them out of the existing doors.

Maybe it is time to write an ad; '86 Park Ave convert, '94 Impala SS, 8', and 9' garage doors.

Bernie

• Like 1

The first day I have had the top down this year.

Tooled around for awhile and then filled up before bringing her home.

IMG_2985.JPG.030b4d453aecdd146e98950b7c5b6146.JPG

• Like 5

It was another ugly weather day today, but the '56 ran great the 170 miles round trip to Rhinebeck. 

616717061_56atRhinebeck0001.JPG.4129de299cd4d71ba92932e30c82c722.JPG

1777965402_56atRhinebeck0002.JPG.d26e4c9e6505202c9b440bb345fb34fd.JPG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

It was another ugly weather day today, but the '56 ran great the 170 miles round trip to Rhinebeck. 

616717061_56atRhinebeck0001.JPG.4129de299cd4d71ba92932e30c82c722.JPG

1777965402_56atRhinebeck0002.JPG.d26e4c9e6505202c9b440bb345fb34fd.JPG

Beautiful car and scenery! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NC68Riviera said:

Beautiful car and scenery! 

X's 2 !!

• Thanks 1