Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Well I had the '41 Roadmaster out for a ten mile drive yesterday. My hand is now ell enough to drive a bit, and it was so wonderful to be driving it again!

Here's a couple of pics of the speedo, showing my begining and ending mileage. Nice number, I thought, for those into such things, 4433 at the start. Sorry for the glare in the first one, just the angle of the sun.

Keith

Buick41Startmile.jpg

Buick41EndMile.jpg

• Like 7

Took a break from yard work on a sunny Spring afternoon.  With temp in the low 50s I decided to take drive by Sylvan Beach. Traffic was very light for a Friday afternoon with only a few fisherman drowning worms in the canal...

image.thumb.png.02db3bda4758518b6afda7b25e90b6d9.png

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Friday afternoon with only a few fisherman drowning worms in the canal...

If you want a real treat wait for a sunny day and ride up to the Montezuma refuge and watch the carp trying to get from the cold Clyde River into that warm, shallow Black Lake. Its a Spring thing and you will never forget it. Thousands of them jammed up at the barrier.

Sylvan Beach is a good area. They tore down the 1840 school building in Camden and a pallet of the bricks are now the front columns of the porch on my 1853 house. Period materials whenever we can do it.

Bernie

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

...watch the carp trying to get from the cold Clyde River into that warm, shallow Black Lake.

I can picture that!  I don't, however, need to go to Montezuma to see that, as there's a creek that runs along one side of my property that empties into Oneida Lake.  In a few weeks there will be a couple dozen Carp gathered on the lake side of the culvert on my street.  I can hear them thrashing in the shallow water.  They like to assemble near the outlet of the culvert where the spring runoff moves by at a fairly good pace, allowing them to hold their position while they spawn.

I do, however, like the idea of a ride to Montezuma -- especially this time of year and seems like it would be an enjoyable, socially acceptable excuse to get out of the house!  ;)

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You must know the guy who carves wooden statues with a chain saw.

One year the Cadillac LaSalle Club had its Grand National in Albany. A friend and I drove up from Rochester. When we arrived they asked how long it took us. Nine hours. What! Its only about 5 on the Thruway.

"Yeah, but you didn't see the guy on Oneida Lake carve with a chain saw or have lunch in Herkimer."

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, EmTee said:
On 3/24/2020 at 8:37 PM, RivNut said:

Is that a non USA bottled beer?

At least it's not Corona!

Made in the same brewery...Corona & Modelo

I thought that Corona was the cure.  If not then 120 proof vodka (60% alcohol).

• Haha 2

For an early start on the weekend, on Friday, I drove my 1938 Buick Century 8 miles home from the paint shop. If I ever find myself needing to drive a car without a windshield again, I am going to remember to use some goggles. The wind was interesting. 

On Sunday, I partipated in a mini tour with some of the members of my Cape Fear Chapter AACA. I drove the 1937 Century about 40 miles. 

DSC_0780.JPG

DSC_0803.JPG

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Like 8

Yesterday I was adding to my garage light fixtures and my little convertible was sitting right there at the door. I decided a ride through town and a walk in a nearby park would be just right.

001.thumb.JPG.b635ebcbc8223162c95b9ed865ad6a1e.JPG

002.thumb.JPG.0da1d69f9d4a11ee6b5afe47cbe37fe9.JPG

Top up, I pulled out of the driveway headed west, right into a foreboding line of black clouds moving my way fast. I got in about a four mile loop, waved to the park as I drove by, and got back into the garage just as the storm hit.

Back to those nice 8' LED fixtures until supper.

009.thumb.JPG.56b6f55da90afab3f1ea254608855dbd.JPG

Too much sh.... sh.... sh...... stuff in there.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 4

The other day Glenda and I went for a drive through the countryside in the Reatta. Still very chilly, so no topless motoring yet, I pulled in to this brewery to take a few pictures, as it makes a good backdrop. Everything is still closed, so no hope of a beer, and the ground is still barren from winter, and will be for a few more weeks, so no nice landscapes yet. About a 25 mile drive, sorry I forgot to post a picture of the mileage. It has been wet and dreary here for a few days, but tomorrow is supposed to be warmer and sunny, so hopefully I can get back out for a top down cruise!

Keith

Reatta1.jpg

Reatta2.jpg

• Like 6

On 3/30/2020 at 9:09 AM, 60FlatTop said:

Yesterday I was adding to my garage light fixtures and my little convertible was sitting right there at the door. I decided a ride through town and a walk in a nearby park would be just right.

001.thumb.JPG.b635ebcbc8223162c95b9ed865ad6a1e.JPG

Your Electra is a nice looking convertible, Bernie.

In the early 1990's, I test-drove a used 1987 Electra coupe

that was for sale.  I didn't get it, but I wish it was still around

as a collectible.  Any 2-door 1985-up Electra is rare today.

Hi Matt, noticed the red wheels on your ‘38. Would be really keen to see what she looks looks like when the hubcaps and trim rings are fitted. I’m contemplating painting my rims the same colour but not 100% sold on it yet! Currently black but you never know!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

On 3/30/2020 at 11:08 AM, MCHinson said:

FDSC_0780.JPG

Rodney,

I will buff the hubcaps a bit more soon and try to get them back on it in a few days. You will see some photos of the wheels with the hubcaps in my restoration story, but they were before the car was painted. 

11 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi Matt, noticed the red wheels on your ‘38. Would be really keen to see what she looks looks like when the hubcaps and trim rings are fitted. I’m contemplating painting my rims the same colour but not 100% sold on it yet! Currently black but you never know!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Red wheels are always a win! You won't regret it, I promise!

• Like 1

First truly nice day of the spring, we've had enough rain that the salt is gone, and the Limited is finally running again (noisy valves notwithstanding). Time to take it home!

Melanie obviously felt the same--I didn't even notice that she took the Chrysler when she left the shop after work. LOL.

692110976_2020-04-0218_00_18.thumb.jpg.1050aa613da661f067f286c5658cb1ef.jpg

• Like 8

So the nicest day here in Southern Ontario to date, so late this aft I took the '41 Roadmaster out for a spin, nearly 25 miles today. Ran great. Also, I got the rear assist straps installed that I bought off of another member a few months ago.

The workmanship on them is really amazing, embroidered, and hemmed over on the sides with a chrome bezel where it attaches to the car. I've posted pics of them, and the inside is a soft fabric like flannel material. Such design and workmanship for a mundane item like that!

The only thing is that these have a single retaining screw, with a small "ear" to hold them in place, and the originals had two screws, otherwise they are fine, and fit well on the tiny B pillar.

Must be one of the subtle differences between the Can and US production.

Keith

Buick41Forest1.jpg

Buick41IntPull1.jpg

Buick41Pull.jpg

Buick41Mileage.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

First truly nice day of the spring, we've had enough rain that the salt is gone, and the Limited is finally running again (noisy valves notwithstanding). Time to take it home!

Melanie obviously felt the same--I didn't even notice that she took the Chrysler when she left the shop after work. LOL.

692110976_2020-04-0218_00_18.thumb.jpg.1050aa613da661f067f286c5658cb1ef.jpg

Matt for some reason your Buick just looks to have an never ending wheelbase with the angle of this picture.  Just how much leg room did they need back then ?

1 minute ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Matt for some reason your Buick just looks to have an never ending wheelbase with the angle of this picture.  Just how much leg room did they need back then ?

Lots, apparently.

DSC_8541.thumb.JPG.be53371862067cd47d381e45928b5ba3.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 4/2/2020 at 10:26 PM, Brooklyn Beer said:

What did they call the "Holy crap were gonna crash"  strap by the window back then ?

I think that's actually a curtain.  It is a limousine, after all!  ;)

The '36 spent a week getting some TLC at the mechanics and i received the call to come and pick her up on Friday night. The problem being is that the mechanic is some distance away and the Australian government had just put in place rules concerning "unnecessary" travel and the possibility of significant financial penalties in an attempt to encouraging people to stay at home. So in keeping with social distancing protocols I took the back roads home!  In doing so, i spotted the nose of a car sticking out from under a tree. I pulled up to have a closer and found the rather sad remains of a 1951 Buick Super.  Take care out there everyone, Cheers Paul 

20200404_154038.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Paul White said:

At least somebody grabbed the mustache bar.   The '36 spent a week getting some TLC at the mechanics and i received the call to come and pick her up on Friday night. The problem being is that the mechanic is some distance away and the Australian government had just put in place rules concerning "unnecessary" travel and the possibility of significant financial penalties in an attempt to encouraging people to stay at home. So in keeping with social distancing protocols I took the back roads home!  In doing so, i spotted the nose of a car sticking out from under a tree. I pulled up to have a closer and found the rather sad remains of a 1951 Buick Super.  Take care out there everyone, Cheers Paul 

20200404_154038.jpg