I have become THAT GUY

Angelfish

I have recently had to come to terms with the fact that I have 5 engines and 4 transmissions that are not installed in cars.  Not to mention shelves of parts that will probably one day crush me in a freak earthquake. 

This is a condition that comes on without warning no matter how many years you went without it.  Four years ago I had exactly zero unaffiliated engines and zero unaffiliated transmissions.  Each one is justifiable by itself, but before you know it, you’re standing in the middle of the shop wondering first, how it all went wrong, and second, how are you ever going to put it all back together again.

First was the Buick 364 nailhead.  It starts very innocently.  This engine is rebuilt and running.  The paint shop wanted it out for paint, so no problem there.

Next came the transmission for the 1949 Ford F1 truck.  It needed a rebuild but they were having trouble locating parts.  Then a complete rebuilt replacement pops up, so in the truck it goes.  Meanwhile, they found the parts.  So now I have a rebuilt spare that I’ll probably never need.

Then the Jaguar 3.4 inline 6 and four speed overdrive transmission.  This came out of a 1958 MK I that was given to my dad and turned out to be a total loss.  Out came the long block.

And the Mercedes-Benz 450SLC.  This car is in beautiful condition except for the seized engine, but a replacement engine is included.  How could I say no?  

And the LeBaron convertible.  This car came out of the junkyard in running condition but a little rough and with a lot of noise from under hood.  So when a wrecked LeBaron with a good convertible top and low mileage engine pops up for sale, we just had to have it.

The final count:

Buick 364

Jaguar 3.4 

(2) Mercedes-Benz M117 4.5 V8

Chrysler 3.0 V6

Ford 3 speed manual 

Jaguar four speed overdrive 

Mercedes-Benz 3 speed automatic 

Chrysler automatic 

IMG_0238.jpeg.75dc2cfbbe4be596d2a6144fd0fdbade.jpegIMG_0239.jpeg.ca782263b515bc36429a2c2163bcbc68.jpegIMG_0240.jpeg.12fe796872a02f310e811abc84bd0749.jpegIMG_0241.jpeg.225d0f2c4b05f6ed9adc8453cfae3ab2.jpeg

Edited by Angelfish (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Time to be concerned when you end like a HS pal of mine:

You stuff 7 cars into a 4 car garage by taking 4 of them apart.

You keep a 318 block in your kitchen.

You have parts in every room on the first floor!

He is single, and from the street his place looks perfectly ahh, normal.  He is my go to guy for the tough stuff...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You should see the amount of stuff that three of us loaded at a friends house that was cleaning out. 

Most of the parts are for a 1932 Buick.  There is also a '28 or '29 front and rear axle.

The load includes three or four rear axles, three front axles, three transmissions, brake drums, suspension parts, spindles, and a lot more smaller stuff. 15 milk crates of smaller stuff including starters, etc.. I would guess about 2 tons in total. 

If any one needs parts for a '32 Buick and you are going to Hershey, come get a deal with us.  I will be in spots RWK 30-31.   It is about two rows from the HCCA tent as you look out of the tent to the rest of the red field.   

I will try to post some pictures in the Buick Pre-War section below.

Here is the link for the pictures in the Buick Pre-War section.  

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I have a few engines and transmissions laying around.

It is a natural part of the hobby.

My difference is all the spare drivetrain parts I have are for the cars I currently own.

When a car gets sold off I either include the spare parts in the sale or I sell them off later for extra old car money.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

You're saying this like it's a bad thing... 😁

4 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Amateur!😛😄

I though E&T Anonymous met at my garage? Or as I would say,

PIKERS!🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Tom C said:

So Angelfish, what’s the problem ? I see enough space for more 

The problem, as I see it, is putting it all back together again.  If it’s one car at least you know where the parts came from.  A 57 Buick with a Jaguar engine and Mercedes transmission might be a good conversation starter.

But I’ll have it all worked out in a week or two.

3 hours ago, EmTee said:

If you spend hours at a time trying to figure out how to drop one of those engines into a different car then you have the "Rod & Custom" variant of the disease...  :o

I really want a 1920s style speedster with the Jaguar engine.  There’s a shop in town that builds custom chassis.  Could be quite a little tiger.  

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Angelfish said:

The problem, as I see it, is putting it all back together again.

That's the advantage to keeping things in the same family. All mine are Oldsmobiles, primarily 64-72, so the parts mostly interchange plus I have a pretty good knowledge of which casting numbers were used in which years. 😁

• Like 3

11 hours ago, rocketraider said:

It tells us that Kerry needs to buy 2 more cars to put them in!😀

Actually one of the motors is for a future project IF I ever get my T/A finished.

My neighbor passed away unexpectedly a few years ago. He was a Pontiac guy through and through. I was helping his widow organize his shop for a sale and he had literally at least 20 Pontiac engines, about half complete the rest in parts. She offered to GIVE them to me and I had to think long and hard about the offer. I came to the realization that I did not want to be the next guy that died with a garage full of motors, so I let them go. Unfortunately I think they ended up being made into new Kia's.

He had one complete SD motor that I knew of. He was quite proud of it when he brought it home in the back of his truck. Had to show me before it was even unloaded. I told his widow that most of the stuff was junk to most people but he had some stuff that was near priceless to the Pontiac crowd. I did not want her to be taken advantage of. Of course by the time I got there the SD stuff was long gone!!!!

• Like 1

I will confess to 3 TR motors and something like 5 transmissions.  All neatly stored.  

At some point, I guess I need to label all the stuff so there is a chance it will find a home when I am gone.   For now, I have tried to make sure the various lots are shelved together.  

• Like 1

I forgot the 1928 AA high speed rear end. I trailer my Ford firetruck to parades and then drive the truck an average of 2 MPH in a parade that lasts for about 2 miles. I probably will never need the rear, but hey, like the song says, "But I got her, boys..."

Frank

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Zimm63 said:

At some point, I guess I need to label all the stuff so there is a chance it will find a home when I am gone.

Some years back, a friend was looking over all my "stuff" and said god help whoever has to settle your estate.

I said you want the job? and got a quick "HELL NO!"

I pointed out he was the only one besides me who even knew what some of the stuff was.

"You better start labeling it."

One of my work friends had an amazing collection of "stuff" and it didn't help that Jack was interested in EVERYTHING. Running joke at work was whose estate sale would take the longest, mine or his.

One of the young pups out there (who was already well on his way to becoming a guy with "stuff") said didn't make any difference long as they weren't on the same day and his bank account had time to recover.

😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I feel like such an amateur with my two boxes of Old Plymouth parts. 😢

For how many cars?

Each of the four Oldsmobiles has at least three BIG plastic totes of spare parts. And that's just the smalls. The bigger stuff is hanging from trusses, leaning on walls, laying on shelves, stacked on the floor...

But it's there if it's ever needed!

• Like 1

I guess I better get started.  I only have one engine and one rear end in storage.  

BTW when i moved here with the rear end and other car stuff, that might have contributed to the estimator loosing his job when he estimated the weight that was to be going into the moving van.  He underestimated the weight going into the moving van in order to get the load on a guaranteed weight bid.  Also said a Cub Cadet and several attachments was a lawn mower.

If anyone sees my garage, I just tell them it’s an active work area cause I live on a farm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It could be worse. If you are into Ford Model A's there is so much stuff being offered at crazy low prices you cant stop yourself  from snatching it up. How many Model A chassis rear ends, steering wheels and such does a person need? When the ad says $150 come haul this chassis and motor away you cant say no.  Might need something off it one day. Course once you get home you realize you already have three sitting there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, rocketraider said:

For how many cars?

Each of the four Oldsmobiles has at least three BIG plastic totes of spare parts. And that's just the smalls. The bigger stuff is hanging from trusses, leaning on walls, laying on shelves, stacked on the floor...

But it's there if it's ever needed!

Two. Mostly for the 1952 Plymouth with a smattering of parts for the 1980 Plymouth.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2024 at 8:20 AM, oldford said:

The one who dies with the most toys wins!!! My problem is that all my garages are full. If I want, no NEED more stuff, I have to build another garage.

Frank

And that is why y'all hear me say I'm glad some of the cars in not mine-for sale forum are on the other side of the country! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I hoard 1915 Buick stuff. 2 spare engines. 1 apart, one not. 2 spare transmissions. A chassis, front sheet metal, radiator, 2 sets of head lights. Hell, I could build most of another car if I had the ambition. I had it set up ready to sandblast the frame twice. Twice life got in the way. still, with something this old having spare parts is a good thing. 😁 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Dandy Dave said:

Twice life got in the way. still, with something this old having spare parts is a good thing. 😁 

What are we talking about, Dave? You or your Buick...🤣

Frank

• Haha 2