Anyone know any Barn-Find rumors in central Ohio?

Around here the barns have disappeared faster than the finds, not too many 100 acre farms left, 1000 plus and where the barn stood is land to grow on, same with old farm houses.  The but is, there is still more stuff stashed away in different buildings than most of us will ever know of.   My 66 Coronet was the closest to a barn find we have but the more typical story.  It was a one owner car that had been parked in a garage in a back fire lane in 1976.  In 1990 my father was having coffee with the owner who asks if he wants to buy an old Dodge.  Years late we bought another car out of another garage in the same lane.  We were happy to get it loaded and back into the shop we had at the time.  A few years later I was even happier to get it loaded a second time and then loaded onto a new others trailer - how it was moved 3 times without breaking apart in the middle I'll never know, but I do know that the 50/50 warranty applied on my sale...50 feet or 50 seconds which ever comes first!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Being in the Southwest there aren't many barns around. The car finds can be in someone's back yard covered with a blue tarp and a mean dog. Usually in the not so nice parts of town in the more run down hoods. Seen a bunch of cars and trucks when I'm out and about running errands.

I graduated from high school in ‘79.  Between 1976 and 1983 we found numerous muscle cars preferred years 1967 to 1972 in back yards and in garages in west Texas and eastern New Mexico.  Also a very limited number of pre WWII V8 Fords.  Very few left now.  Those now stored outside are generally owned by a family member of the long time owner or by someone who doesn’t have the money or time to work on it but will never sell it.  Most of the saved cars are now inside.  The west Texas sun and heat will turn vinyl and dash material to crusty brittle cracked junk.  But the sheet metal can be very good

• Like 1

Barn finds are not that difficult to score……..it just takes endless hours chasing. I have found dozens, and bought at least 15 of them. Most were early 30’s Caddy’s or Pierce Arrows. A few Lincoln’s and Packards tossed in. My best find I was involved in can’t be disclosed yet……..but it makes finding an open V-12 Pierce or similar seem like locating a Model T. Some day I will write a book. And I will also take partial credit for AJ’s speedster. Seeing that both Fred Roe and I chased that car down to the last dead end…………and it was my article that got 2+2 =4 to make the find come to life. Best part about barn finds is the chase…..even if you don’t land them, being the first guy through the door is a high that can’t be explained.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Barn finds are not that difficult to score……..it just takes endless hours chasing. I have found dozens, and bought at least 15 of them. Most were early 30’s Caddy’s or Pierce Arrows. A few Lincoln’s and Packards tossed in. My best find I was involved in can’t be disclosed yet……..but it makes finding an open V-12 Pierce or similar seem like locating a Model T. Some day I will write a book. And I will also take partial credit for AJ’s speedster. Seeing that both Fred Roe and I chased that car down to the last dead end…………and it was my article that got 2+2 =4 to make the find come to life. Best part about barn finds is the chase…..even if you don’t land them, being the first guy through the door is a high that can’t be explained.

Best thing I’ve read today for sure 

Edited by BobinVirginia (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Maybe you just have low expectations.  ;)

Just kidding.  Any more stories of collections like you posted?

You think when I see the single post count on the OP I should have my hopes up?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

I personally don't get too excited over later TA's. But that barn is something I would sell my soul for.

Its ok, but its just a shed actually. Small stature and no front. There are about 50 buildings on the property and the main barn is indeed something to behold. 

2 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Its ok, but its just a shed actually. Small stature and no front. There are about 50 buildings on the property and the main barn is indeed something to behold. 

Awesome

15 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

I was with my dad when we followed leads to this barn north of St. Paul. Rollston-bodied Duesenberg. In addition, there was a mid 1920s Aston Martin there as well.

IMG_4698.jpg

IMG_4699.jpg

Wow!  What year was that?

1 hour ago, West Peterson said:

I was with my dad when we followed leads to this barn north of St. Paul. Rollston-bodied Duesenberg. In addition, there was a mid 1920s Aston Martin there as well.

Cool. I didn’t know Aston Martin was that old.

3 minutes ago, CarNucopia said:

Cool. I didn’t know Aston Martin was that old.

At the time, we informed knowledgable A-M fanatics, and they said it was an unknown car and was the oldest then known to be in the U.S. It was a 1924 model, if I remember correctly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A play on words as usual. A barn find in my opinion is the first sight by the first person. Then it becomes a barn found. If actually in a barn of course. 
A box truck find I have found is a 46 Chevy coupe 4 miles from work. 
1 mile North of that sits(I think, not found yet) a 65 Riviera. 2 4BBL, A/C, leather. 
And the last I have yet to find the barn is a 66 L78, 4spd Chevelle. 

Mach Mustang 14, 

All of this conversation is a grand welcome to the AACA Forum!

People might not know about barn finds in central Ohio, but you

can see that you opened a topic that, in general, is popular.

I hope you enjoy the discussion.  Maybe someone here knows

specifically about that area, as well.

Feel free to post often and join in car conversations!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here was one that has been sold.

Hackenberger has amassed more than 700 cars and trucks.

The collection of vehicles is believed to be one of the largest held in private hands.

The only other may be Copart..

thumbnail_IMG_2681.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nick8086 said:

The collection of vehicles is believed to be one of the largest held in private hands.

thumbnail_IMG_2681.jpg

WHY?

My next door neighbor bought a sweet 58 cameo pickup several years ago missing a few hubcaps. He ended up finding them at an old guys place. He told me, "I really need to take you down there. He buys these cars and restores them and then sticks them in old shelters. The shelters are scattered all over out in the woods and he has parts galore." I never went. He died a couple of months ago.

When I bought my current house, built in 1915, there was a 40 Ford convertible in the garage, in barn find condition. It didn't go with the house and was later street rodded.

I suspect the OP was truly wondering if anybody had heard of anything like a private sale. Perhaps he had heard a rumor about something changing hands he'd like to track down, or, maybe his car had been found and sold as a barn find. A few years ago, a friend's dad was operating a bull dozer, leveling out a building site. Within view was a pole barn with several brass era cars in it. He told his son, who promptly looked into getting the cars out. Not long after, the cars disappeared. I suspect some barn finds are actually stolen cars. After a car sets around in a barn or garage a while, titles get lost and proof of ownership gets muddied and possession is 9/10ths of the law.

5 hours ago, West Peterson said:

Wait, what?? They made you wash the barn before you could get the car out?

Yes West they did. He was bringing out the buckets of whitewash but I got it started and took off before I had to join Huck and Jim!

• Haha 1

We were at a classic car place a couple of days ago-the owner buys in and sells on- and he seemed to have a fair turnover. We asked who was buying and he said a lot of farmers, for the investment value. It reminded us of this thread. Were we looking at the cars in their shiny high priced sale condition that our grandchildren would be dragging out of barns and scraping the raccoon and mice residue off? He was definitely a salesman, so I am not too sure who was actually getting a deal. 

Not a true barn find, but they probably will be at some point when the current “caretaker” dies (yes I meant to put that description in quotes). There are three T’s and an ‘08 S buried in trash much deeper than what you can see here… absolutely makes me wonder how stupid people can get.

IMG_0609.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/16/2024 at 9:04 PM, nick8086 said:

thumbnail_IMG_2681.jpg

That collection was sold several years ago by VanDerBrink Auctions. Hackenberger owned a trucking company and wanted to make a car museum. Some cars were stored inside, and some were not. The collection had horse drawn wagons, fire engines, Bantams, Studebakers along with many rare and obscure makes. You can find videos about the auction on youtube. 

Edited by Brass is Best (see edit history)

Enjoying this "accidentally interesting" thread. I'm no Tom Cotton, but like many on here, I spend many days a year scouting through barns sheds and fields keeping an eye open for whatever lurks therein. Came across about 10 years ago this 1937 Buick Opera Coupe (last photo) at the time had been sitting since 1975, and is still there (and not for sale).

But many on here have heard of my personal favorite find, a 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster, a rare Canadian made car (one of 4 or 5 made) found in the most Eastern point of mainland Canada in 2014, in a shed where it had been sitting forlorn out of sight for more or less 45 years. As I've related previously, I had heard of the mythical "big black Chrysler Roadster" from my Dad (a mechanic by trade) in the 70's and 80's while talking about old cars, but never looked for it as he told me it had likely been sold into the USA in the 60's. A mechanic friend of his had salvaged the car in 1952 in Sydney Cape Breton, from a scrap yard, rodded it (Cadillac/LaSalle/Auburn drivetrain) and in Dad's view it was a stunner. He passed away in 1999, and I never gave it another thought. While on a 300 mile trip back home in 2014, an old car pal tipped me off to a shed on an old car guy's property (owner had since passed away) where several years earlier he had seen a couple of old ones. Short story, went to see the widow, and there it was, the old Chrysler Roadster, with the Cadillac engine sitting beside it, rough, but rare. The widow said "my son and I decided to sell it yesterday afternoon" after it had sat in shed since 1969. Bought it without a moments hesitation, and 10 years later still a work in progress. The photos show first time I saw car in shed, pics from 1955, 1957, 1964, 1969, as current restoration, as hauled from shed in 2014, and the 1937 Buick, mentioned above. 

Like many long stored "barn finds", they are often in need of a mountain of work to make them decent and drivable, and as a result, you need to have a rare find, or something of sentimental value or both to make it worthwhile. Every time I work on my Chrysler I wish my Dad was here to give me a hand. Addition: Added picture showing the "other old car in the shed" a 1929 Essex 4 door Sedan, which was in much better shape eventually sold.

Chrysler8B.jpg

1931 Chrysler CD8 1955.jpg

1931 Chrysler 3quarter-view.png

1931 Chrysler in 1966.png

ChryslerCD8 & Dodge 3 (2).jpeg

IMG_8391.JPG

IMG_2968.JPG

IMG_2566.JPG

Chrysler1B.jpg

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2