Show some pictures of your unique car keys

I'm currently using these three ignition keys. They're all non-original novelty aftermarket accessory swap meet items that I bought over the years. I like them because they're easier to grab than the smaller originals. Years ago a friend of mine had a somewhat complete rotating display rack full of these featuring all the popular US makes of the 50s. It's long gone but what a great man cave item it would be today.

IMG_0717.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, KdFwagen said:

Are some of these keys posted up here an aftermarket or an accessory key you could buy? I'm thinking so.

Undoubtedly.

The FoMoCo keys are original Ford. Steve's Oldsmobile key is an aftermarket- GM factory keys as a rule were pretty, shall we say, boring and uninspired. Some had a GM logo on them, others had just Briggs and Stratton markings. Ford seemed to be more about having a distinctive key design and marque identity, even for lowly Comet and Falcon.

Think it was 1965 Chrysler started using Pentastar-shaped keys?

Great thread. Keep 'em coming!😎

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Undoubtedly.

The FoMoCo keys are original Ford. Steve's Oldsmobile key is an aftermarket- GM factory keys as a rule were pretty, shall we say, boring and uninspired. Some had a GM logo on them, others had just Briggs and Stratton markings. Ford seemed to be more about having a distinctive key design and marque identity, even for lowly Comet and Falcon.

Think it was 1965 Chrysler started using Pentastar-shaped keys?

Great thread. Keep 'em coming!😎

Hey he said vintage keys!  That's what he got was a vintage aftermarket key! :)  Peterson needed to be more explicit if he wanted factory keys!  So there....  :) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

This

This photo has to be one of the oldest automotive ignition keys if not the first. The key is for a 1903 Cadillac. You insert the key into 1 of 2 holes in the heel board and it will close a pair of contacts for either battery A or battery B.  Cadillac did not have a removable key in 1904 or 05, like many other cars of that era. In 1906 Cadillac had a 3 position switch for battery A, Battery B, or BOTH with a much smaller key you insert to close the circuit between the selected switch position and the coil.

1909173222_1903cadillackey.jpg.a2c3b765bdee71668edca825ca5acab2.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Hey he said vintage keys!  That's what he got was a vintage aftermarket key! :)  Peterson needed to be more explicit if he wanted factory keys!  So there....  :) 

I hope West is taking note of all these with possibility of a feature or filler page in Antique Automobile...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Sorry but you and Alex have been to the local tavern too much.  Now here is a key! :) Like you did not expect me to chime in with an Olds!

key.jpg

I believe that is an aftermarket key blank sold at shopping mall keycutting kiosks.  GM never offered anything that nice.

Craig

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, jdome said:

This

This photo has to be one of the oldest automotive ignition keys if not the first. The key is for a 1903 Cadillac. You insert the key into 1 of 2 holes in the heel board and it will close a pair of contacts for either battery A or battery B.  Cadillac did not have a removable key in 1904 or 05, like many other cars of that era. In 1906 Cadillac had a 3 position switch for battery A, Battery B, or BOTH with a much smaller key you insert to close the circuit between the selected switch position and the coil.

1909173222_1903cadillackey.jpg.a2c3b765bdee71668edca825ca5acab2.jpg

That is very cool. Thanks for posting it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scott Bonesteel said:

Hard to beat the Willis Sainte Claire or the 1915 Buick noted above, but no such discussion is complete without at least a reference to the 'bent key' by Yale Omega produced for the 33-34 Mopars as part of their 'bandit-proof' lock system.

4658025081_11d9d08063_b.jpg

That is wild. A new one on me!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KdFwagen said:

Original KdF-Wagen Key. The First version. KdF-Wagen Beetles were built 1938-1944

20210201_120352.jpg

This KdF-Wagen key I found after 15 or so years of hunting for it in Europe. Lucky to get it as they are Incredibly scarce and never had a chance at another one. Around 1945 the key cut profile and tumblers were flipped over (like a mirror image) and stayed that way moving forward. From what I understand the power on dash switch, drivers door handle, trunk and engine lid handle were all keyed alike. Most KdF-wagen beetles that survived were updated to 1946 era tumblers and keys soon after.

20220712_110630.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/12/2022 at 12:03 PM, Scott Bonesteel said:

no such discussion is complete without at least a reference to the 'bent key' by Yale Omega produced for the 33-34 Mopars as part of their 'bandit-proof' lock system.

11 hours ago, Scott Bonesteel said:

Here is a little bit better shot of the Yale Omega 'bent key' where you can see how significant the bend is in the key.  I assume the concept was to prevent a straight shot at the lock tumblers for anyone trying to pick the locks.

83f8_1.jpg

I had a key bent that way some years back. Don't remember where it came from, and few in the family had Mopars that many years ago. 

I wonder if I till have it?

I thought it was strange when I found it in a box of stuff. At first thinking it had been damaged, but it looked too perfectly bent for that. At least now I know what it may have been from if I run into it again.

Interesting stuff! Thank you all.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)

This is one of our early Citroen keys-

very plain other than the Doubke Chevron on one side, and the key manufacturer’s name (Ronis) on the other, including the keyway code.

Later Citroens like our 1971 D-21 Safari wagons and ‘72 SM with steering column interlock had a much more intricate design and larger size.

26A81FE9-492A-4256-911B-BFDB9C471EF1.jpeg

46F9A739-E7F3-46E4-AD83-BAA06E71F9BD.jpeg

On 7/12/2022 at 11:30 AM, Larry Schramm said:

1915 Buick

image000000 - 2022-07-12T112942.902.jpg

Was going to post this myself. You beat me to it Larry. 😁 Show me a more unusual end than that gear. Dandy Dave!

• Like 1

Here is the key for the Splitdorf coil box on my 1912 Flanders.  It serves no electrical function, it just links the front and back plates of the switch together so that the back section will turn with the front section.  :)

splitdorf_key.jpg

Edited by cudaman (see edit history)
  • Like 3