Show some pictures of your unique car keys

West, I believe you've found something to collect that I have not thought of yet -the search is on!!!!

Terry

• Haha 2

I do have an interesting key! 

The British AA (Automobile Association) was founded in 1905. It was founded originally to aid motorists to avoid speeding fines but later developed into a more general motorist assistance operation similar to what our own AAA is.

in the later 1900s, the British AA had installed hundreds of "boxes" throughout the country.  They were actually manned by sentries who would salute passing motorists displaying the AA membership badge on their vehicle.  These "sentries" would often warn of speed traps.

later, when the sentries were no longer used, AA members had a special key to open these roadside boxes so they could telephone for assistance, directions, etc.  The key is an example of an earlier style that was issued to members.  the key evolved over the years but this example is probably from the 1920s.  They periodically show up for sale on evil-bay.

Terry

1792379482_AAKey.jpg.6bda0fb0397df1171221bf309ae24941.jpg

AA Box.jpg

AA Senry and box.png

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • West Peterson changed the title to Show some pictures of your unique car keys

here are some of the keys for my 48 DeSoto.  Some are aftermarket, and some are factory blanks.  The keys I got with the car when I bought it in 1980 are a Yale and Curtis key co.  I have an after market Chrysler key fob from my old 50 Chrysler, and a 1980s Dodge/Plymouth key fob from Pep boys.  

keysdesoto.jpg

keys.jpg

key.jpg

Edited by marcapra (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have one exactly like this. It is still on its card that it came on new.

It is marked Dodge 49 and up.

It's in a bit better shape than this one.

I have had it on my desk for years and never done anything with it except to look at it.

Any interest?

image.png.c82019f4cab77d26cdf1c0e41b8b94c2.png

25 minutes ago, JACK M said:

I have one exactly like this. It is still on its card that it came on new.

It is marked Dodge 49 and up.

It's in a bit better shape than this one.

I have had it on my desk for years and never done anything with it except to look at it.

Any interest?

image.png.c82019f4cab77d26cdf1c0e41b8b94c2.png

Always interested in vintage MoPar stuff for my display cases.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 7:16 PM, 8E45E said:

I believe that is an aftermarket key blank sold at shopping mall keycutting kiosks.  GM never offered anything that nice.

Craig

I don't think the question about showing your unique car keys said anything about having to be original issue by the car manufacturer. The 
Olds key is great.

IMG_2070.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hook said:

I don't think the question about showing your unique car keys said anything about having to be original issue by the car manufacturer. The 
Olds key is great.

Now with 3D printing, we can design and make our own!  

For those concerned about originality, it WILL be a factor, and agreed, VW keys are among the more unique ones.  VW (and I believe MB) also had safety padded keys in the '70's, which I believe are hard in good shape now.

Craig

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Now with 3D printing, we can design and make our own!  

For those concerned about originality, it WILL be a factor, and agreed, VW keys are among the more unique ones.  VW (and I believe MB) also had safety padded keys in the '70's, which I believe are hard in good shape now.

Craig

That may be true with 3D printers. However, my Mercedes key head is 14K gold. Now-a-days with 3D printers and artificial intelligence I'm not sure if I'm real or not!

IMG_2071.JPG

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

Not car keys but have seen some pretty wild rest room key "fobs" if you will.

I recall one station I worked at as a kid that was 13-inch wheel.

That's what I would hand someone when they asked if we had a can opener!

Craig

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here is an aftermarket Ford key blank that commemorates the American Revolution Bicentennial (back side). Also the box it came in. What is unique is that I found it in Okinawa, Japan a few months agoIMG_1248.jpeg.13965380eef59f82926736d4d1ba58bb.jpegIMG_1249.jpeg.d933c6f8cac1899850757a45890fc58a.jpeg

• Like 1

Here is an aftermarket DeSoto key blank with a rarer key fob with the DeSoto medallion.  These are still in the original cardboard displays.  Looks like it came out in the late 50s.  I don't know why the application skips some years.  

desotokeyfob.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, marcapra said:

Here is an aftermarket DeSoto key blank with a rarer key fob with the DeSoto medallion.  These are still in the original cardboard displays.  Looks like it came out in the late 50s.  I don't know why the application skips some years.  

desotokeyfob.jpg

As I stated earlier, its these I remember seeing at shopping mall key-cutting kiosks.

Craig