How do you deodorize a car?

Angelfish

Obviously the best way is to clean out the source of the smell, but if that proves elusive you're left with the ozone treatments and that sort of thing.    I had the car professionally deodorized and it did help, but after that I found 3 dead mice inside the dash and center console (no wiring damage!)  I vacuumed out everything I could reach and sprayed some enzyme treatment.  But it still lingers.  I will need to tear out the center console but that's a job for a long cold winter.

So there's the sprays, gel cans, 12 volt air purifiers, etc.  Have you had reasonable success with any of them? 

Fish a likely source of that issue is your climate control, they get right into those hoses.  I have used a deoderizer for that purpose with pretty good success.  I will check later but I also think MB has a sort of outlet under the car for AC related condensation build up, been a couple seasons since I messed with it but I think you can hit those vents w deoderizer from underneath as well which helps a lot.  I also sprayed in door jambs where vents lead to perforations in door cards, to blow hot or cool air at you from the side... I suspect the 380 has same layout.

Lucky break on wiring as they did a number on our car undef console and dash.

Deoderizer a NAPA product will get the name later

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
Added info (see edit history)

While I had a lot more then 3 dead mice, most of my smell was from the seats. The truck is unrestored so after removing the seats and vacuuming as well as I could, I sprayed/soaked everything down that I could with Hydroperoxide then a weak bleach solution. I would not recommend any of what I did for a restored car, the bleach solution could/would reck havoc on the fabric. I don't know how well it will work in the end but the smell might dissipate over time. 

50 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

This stuff.  Under $10 I think, NAPA

20230614_142801.jpg

Besides spraying into ALL ductwork,

also spray it from where the air intake brings fresh air from outside the car,

as well as where it recirculates from inside

• Like 3

Most of the tool rental places will have ozone machines. They really work well but take a little longer than a professional detail shop will give a car space, so they are wasting their effort and your money when they sell you that treatment. 

23 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Fish a likely source of that issue is your climate control...  Deodorizer a NAPA product will get the name later

Bought a can, I'll try it this weekend.

18 hours ago, JAK said:

A pan of uncooked coffee grounds, will remove the smell of fire and death

Sounds like a good solution for winter storage.

Edited by Angelfish (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Here is a scientific write up on malorder counterreactants.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/sdfe/pdf/download/eid/1-s2.0-1046199X95901280/first-page-pdf

There are quite a few brands listed online. I used to sell two types sold by Aratari Auto Finishers in Rochester, NY. One was for mold, the other for smoke. I still have a couple bottles in my garage. It worked great and one friend really liked it for freshening his boat. I am not sure if Aratari does mail order. You could try them. Otherwise the online available brands should be similar.

3 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Our starbucks gives away their spent grounds, but not sure theres much left at that point, LOL.

Those work great as plant food. Not sure about deodorizing. I garondamntee coffee grounds are the only thing Starbucks gives away!

At our monthly Ruritan fundraising breakfast I'm in charge of beverages. I have to save the spent coffee grounds for one of the little old ladies to put in her flower beds. We usually feed 100-125 people and they'll go thru ten, sometimes twelve, pots of coffee. 

They tell me I make good coffee. I rarely drink it so I don't know if it is or not!😛

Arm & Hammer Baking Soda in a pie plate or pan has worked pretty well for me. 

Not a miracle cure for really strong odor issues, but helps with cars that one might call "musty."

I have also tired an inexpensive set of 5 of those activated charcoal "air purification" bags and would call those just okay - I don't find them particularly good at dealing with the musty smells, but I suppose these are absorbing some small amount of moisture which is likely beneficial. 

I have never used an ozone machine or any stronger chemicals. 

2 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

When you find the solution let me know.  I know where there is supposed to be a low mileage '63 Vette that a guy died in.  They are selling it for $500 because of the smell.....

If you know someone in the funeral business they've got stuff that works wonders....don't ask how I know

• Like 1

Definitely some good ideas here that seem worth trying. I bought an ozone generator, and it made things better but didn't fully eliminate the musty smell. The other problem with having an ozone generator is that it has no practical use after you use it once. So now I have an ozone generator kicking around the house. I guess I need to buy another car :) 

Be careful with an O-zone generator, they are powerful, and if left on too long they can corrode exposed

unpainted steel.  Ask me how I know..........

They can help, but cleanup is the first large step.  Sometimes the smell permeates the rubber or plastic.

Good luck.

In working to get rid of the odor of mothballs, I tried a bunch of stuff. I succeeded with a large amount of baking soda (several giant size boxes spread all over the interior for a week.) Careful when using on fabric because if anything gets damp it will be a bear to get out.

On 6/15/2023 at 10:22 AM, Restorer32 said:

When you find the solution let me know.  I know where there is supposed to be a low mileage '63 Vette that a guy died in.  They are selling it for $500 because of the smell.....

Sounds like an old wives tale, like the Dusenberg in the garage only a block away.

• Like 1