Large Museum Auction in Kearney, Nebraska in June--Plenty of noteworthy pre-war cars

Someone mentioned not seeing any "witness marks" underneath cars.  This is from the description section:

The caretaker and volunteers rotate every engine on a fixed schedule, along with having removed both the fuel and batteries, and storing the vehicles on jack stands to ensure there will be no flat spots on the tires.

• Thanks 1

It mentions many other tidbits, some of which I am sure some of you have read.  It mentions that this iteration of the museum has been going for 12 years. 

Our friend "Jake" (Nick8086 sign on) has had his 1949 Polar Grey Kaiser Virginian there for at least that long, so he could fill us in on the museum history.  Clearly, or it is to me anyway, many of these cars seem restored* many years ago when perhaps a benefactor was involved.  So we might want to throw shade of the current stewardship, be that as it may, but maybe they were just kicking the can down the road.  

I do agree with the bad color choices, as we all do it seems, but there are some "modern" cars from the 60's that look spot on, some large GM convertibles for instance. 

I still am fascinated by their decision to start most "bids" at $10,000 or $5,000 or whatever.  Surely some of the clown color pre war cars may sit with no bids for most of the 7 days, but then see a bid that starts the bidding and they do sell.  

In some respects, it is good to start the viewing 2 months in advance.  Guys like Jake/Nick 8086 could be boots on the ground and go look at the cars for potential buyers.  Although we have been questioning some of the taste of these cars as inappropriate, I do wonder if there is pent up demand for some visually nice cars, and there are quite a few.  

Location sucks for transport and logistics, although I have worked in Nebraska for years and Kearney is a nice town.  There are museums in all of the I80 corridor towns in Nebraska, and there were several killer salvage yards, many are long gone.  As Americans went west and cars died, they would leave them in places like Kearney, Grand Island and North Platte.  

I might get a bidder's paddle for this auction, but doubt I will win anything.  

* restored used perjoratively. 

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

B Jake Moran, I just got back from a long trip.

Ed can call Brad.

Brad Kernick of Kearney, offers  appraisals for all types of collector cars and and trucks.  In 2011, he saw the need for this service and went through an extensive training and education program through the International Vehicle Appraisers Network (I-VAN) 

The fee for an appraisal from Kernick Auto Appraisal is $175..

Just FYI..

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2023 at 12:27 PM, arcticbuicks said:

since everybody thinks the cars are poorly restored and just  junk ......and one has a non matching tire  .....and the assuming of no oil change.....im going to buy the 1917 locomobile coupe and hotrod it as a Count Dracula style car......and nobody can complain.....cuz Ed says so

Atta-BOY!

Craig

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/22/2023 at 3:37 PM, old car fan said:

Artic,don't  do that,I like  everything  you  contribute, always  think  your post  are more  than  interesting. I think  those better  than thou,should  apologize. Just me.Cant we all get along. Sour words were  spoken. 

This is one reason I do not do judged car shows. I do not need someone telling me what is wrong with my car. Make a car 100 points and it probably won't get driven again. I thought that car guys all had thick skin, I try to get along but if I don't ----I don't

• Like 3

Unfortunately I am not in the market for a pre war car at this time. I have been reading this entire thread and enjoying and learning from it. I will not cast any stones from my glass house but will add. I think some of the cars seen at major shows could be considered 'junk' as well, given that they are put on a trailer, unloaded at the show to get their trophy, then back on the trailer to be unloaded in a garage waiting on the next show. If it cant be driven and enjoyed the way a car should be why should it hold any value higher than a rusted hulk sitting behind my shop? I will say I have nothing against cars that are 'Trailer Queens' just not for me. Kudos to the fellow that just took a long trip in his 300SL!

One thing I have learned from this forum over the last couple of years, If and when I decide to buy something pre war there are a couple of guys I will be talking to before I lay down the cash, one is Ed M.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Ed I got an update..

Wheel Hub live in Lincoln NE..

General Show info 
Imagine how cool it would be to see all the incredible hot rods featured in the pages of Wheel Hub in person, all at the same place at the same time. Thanks to Speedway Motors Museum of American Speed, now you can!  may 27th

They will have 75 to 85 car running in , Kearney, NE to look at..

All is going to happen May 20th..

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

On 4/21/2023 at 10:01 AM, 58L-Y8 said:

It appears as if the buyer of that 1922 Hudson Super Six "town car" will be receiving the remnants of a touring car that likely had the rear tonneau removed to be recycled into a farm truck during its working years.   Once rescued, it's had the rear section of a 1930-'31 possibly Hudson sedan body mounted, partition window crudely installed, and the works painted a color no self-respecting town car owner would even consider anything but terribly gauche.

'22 Hudson 'town car'a.jpg

'22 Hudson 'town car'b.jpg

The back half looks a lot like the back half of a Model A Ford Town Sedan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Junk or no junk I would like this car.  I think at $17,500???

Would that be a mistake Ed as I have no experience with Packard . 

1921 Packard Single Six Model 116  

runabout, 2 door, 241.5 CID. L-head single six engine rated at 52 HP., 3 speed trans., shows 47,680 miles, runs, new battery, AAG Certified

1921 Packard Single Six Model 116

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Joe……it could be a steal, or it could be tossing money away. That’s the problem with museum cars. Some prices seemed reasonable, but others didn’t make sense…..look at the Loco prices. Sure bet the new owner of the roadster has NO CLUE…….. why aren’t there people like that around when I’m selling junk?

The Packard is a small series car. I have never driven or serviced one……….price is usually a good indicator of drivability. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

... why aren’t there people like that around when I’m selling junk?

Probably because you wouldn't dare write the sort of descriptions auction companies thrive on.

• Like 1

I haven't finished looking through the results yet. From the half I have looked at so far, to me, with what I have seen from other museum cars, and how bad "some" of these cars actually looked in the photos? It seems that most cars went for top dollar or even well beyond reasonable amounts. But that is my opinion. What do I know? A few years back I had to sell a few cars I had hoped to keep and enjoy for the rest of my life. The recent past two years I have been hoping to be able to buy at least one good replacement. Watching the market for cars that interest me, I have seen dozens of cars I wish I had the ready cash to buy in the ten to fifteen thousand price range. Some cars needing some work to make right, like most of the cars in that museum. I have also seen some really nice cars or much more desirable cars in the fifteen to twenty thousand area. Of the half of the auction cars I did quickly look at the results, I saw a few that looked like good buys (maybe?), but no real bargains.

Of the results I looked at? That Packard roadster looks like it may have been the best buy there? Of course depending upon the dozens of unknowns. Body wood, actual mechanical condition of all important parts topping the list. Even the little Packard? It sold for less than a couple similar era open Buicks in similar condition and similar unknowns? I love the Buicks of that era! Clearly they are one of the best nickel era tour cars for the money! But, given the choice between a Buick and a Packard? I think I would take the Packard myself.

edinmass, your comment "Sure bet the new owner of the roadster has NO CLUE…….. why aren’t there people like that around when I’m selling junk?" is just so judgmental and gratuitous. While we all have the right to think to ourselves whether we might buy something for a price, questioning someone else's decision so boldly and publicly in such a negative manner does not serve the needs of the hobby, AACA, or members/followers on here. You remember what your Mom said, "if you can't say something nice about something/someone, don't say anything". 

• Like 2

I think Ed is in a position to see a very large cross section of the pre war cars changing hands these days. And across that cross section he no doubt sees the complete or nearly complete  spectrum of  " the value for money range " as exists today. 

I thank Ed for his insight and honesty . 

Up here in the Northern wastes of Canada { particularly those of us out on the coasts and away from the larger populations of " Central Canada } we see so little of what exists in the Pre War car world. It becomes hard to form an objective opinion, because we only see such a small slice of the Pre War car world.

Politeness has its place as does honesty. The auction is a public event. What is wrong with a public opinion from a very well informed source?

I have made many buying blunders on old cars in the past. Perhaps if I had of had the benefit of Ed's experence and observations 40 years ago I would be in a better position today in the old car hobby. I don't think I would have bought any of the pre war cars I ended up buying if I had to do it all over. Fell into the trap of thinking that what existed within 500 miles of me  {and within my limited budget } was the whole story. I now know so much differently, at least partly to do with Ed and his comments over the last 5 or so years.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I'm in total agreement with 1912Staver. Ed's exposure to the market far surpasses mine...and, I dare say, most everyone on this site. Do I agree with him 100% of the time...no, I don't. But even when I disagree I place a high value on his insight. In a market where practically nobody does their own work any more the constant complaints about what it costs to have someone else do it become tiresome. Why does the person who can drop $100,000 on a pre-war car think that the person who can actually sort it's problems should work for a pittance.

My observation is that all "museum" cars should be approached with caution. Would I  buy one...yes, I would. Would I pay top dollar...not likely. You simply don't know what you are getting into. It could be great, or a turd with a fancy paint job. I don't think the general public thinks that way. Their assessments are all superficial, based strictly on appearance and I've little sympathy for the buyer who eventually finds he's bought a worn out rattletrap with nice paint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I guess 1912 Staver and JV Puleo if you guys bought a car that you liked and considered fair value and some informed soul said "you havn't got a clue and it's a piece of junk" on here you'd be tickled pink. I have respect for the buyer, regardless of any underlying considerations. We all should.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

edinmass, your comment "Sure bet the new owner of the roadster has NO CLUE…….. why aren’t there people like that around when I’m selling junk?" is just so judgmental and gratuitous. While we all have the right to think to ourselves whether we might buy something for a price, questioning someone else's decision so boldly and publicly in such a negative manner does not serve the needs of the hobby, AACA, or members/followers on here. You remember what your Mom said, "if you can't say something nice about something/someone, don't say anything". 

I stand by my comments. And I don’t run away from them. That car was a train wreck, and good intact cars could be easily purchased for that price. Floor sweepings are a wast of time. I agree with Wayne that quite a bit of stuff brought ridiculous money for what it was……….I hope the new owners don’t get upset and leave the hobby……which is what happens most of the time.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

So I guess 1912 Staver and JV Puleo if you guys bought a car that you liked and considered fair value and some informed soul said "you havn't got a clue and it's a piece of junk" on here you'd be tickled pink. I have respect for the buyer, regardless of any underlying considerations. We all should.  

That isn't the point at all. Most of my cars have been "junk" by the standards of this forum....so much so that if I'd started here rather than coming to internet forums after 30 years experience I'd have given up before I even started. The point is that museum cars are usually a huge question mark. The whole point of the museum is how the artifact looks...the mechanical aspects are usually ignored and, as a result, many are in need of serious work. How many of these museums have a staff that is ready and willing to diagnose and fix serious mechanical problems? In this case, it was freely admitted that the "volunteers" regularly turn the engines over, probably by hand. So, we can, at least, be sure they aren't stuck but does anyone know if they run...or how well if they do?

I appreciate that we differ on this though. I don't have much respect for the uninformed buyer. That, of course, is exactly what the auction company wants. I make my own decisions really don't give a damn what anyone else thinks. I'm sure there are plenty here that think my "floor sweepings" Mitchell (a very apt description of it) is a colossal waste of time and money but it serves my purposes.

Years ago I had a chance at a 1906 Lorraine-Dietrich, a very good French car. It was complete and running (sort of) and, in the words of the in-house mechanic who worked for a previous owner "was the most worn out car I've ever seen." I didn't get it...it was purchased by a doctor who promptly took it apart, realized he'd gotten in over his head and offered it for sale...for twice what he'd paid for it. I don't think this sort of event does our collective interests any good at all.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

I know of a very prominent museum where the former curator regarded all the cars as purely static displays. Under no circumstances were they to be run, much less driven. When he retired the new curator took a different approach and enlisted the support of volunteers to get the cars running again. It was one of those I was talking to. He was very nice and forthcoming but it was obvious from our conversation that he had very little knowledge of brass cars – nor did any of the other volunteers. So, in the interests of getting them to go they were turned over to a group of well-meaning and enthusiastic amateurs. This might work if the museum is full of 60s and 70s muscle cars...it won't work if you are dealing with high end pre-war cars.

• Thanks 1

JVP, I am doing it backwards, I've been reading the forums for 20 years (before joining on-line a few years ago in order to participate more meaningfully). I agree I would have made numerous mistakes the other way around. I for one appreciate the sage advice of all (too numerous to single-out) but including those you mention. While it hasn't taken 20 years I would say it has probably taken 5 years to sort out people's comments and from where they originate. I actually wish people here were even more direct.

5 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

Unfortunately that situation is a pretty good summation of my pre war car involvement. No longer tickled pink however as I realize time is passing far too quick , and most of my pre war buys either need an owner with far deeper pockets or cut my losses and move on to something far less ambitious.

My father tried to set me straight decades ago. He was very interested in vintage cars and took me to many shows and events. But he never owned one, " strictly for rich people " was his strongly held opinion. He was involved with a number of restorations as a parts hunter for the vintage cars belonging to the owners of the dealership he worked at. So he knew only too well the sort of costs vintage cars came with and drew a firm line between interest and ownership. I should have listened and stuck with the British Sports cars that I could have reasonably easily managed. { working as a British car mechanic at the time }. But I ventured into pre war ownership and was under water at once. As time went by and my income fell off after retirement it has only become worse. Now I am moving and much of my pre war stuff is probably going to end up in a bin. Not a very pleasing situation.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 4

This is a very interesting forum and i have read carefully each post with interest , I am an enthusiast with a particular interest  in 1920,s to early 30,s cars American , apart from a few exceptions if these cars were to offered for sale in NZ where folks had to own and value their cars for a long period of time as they were so expensive and not freely available in period  there would be a great deal of interest in most today and further many would be regarded as quite precious to own and for owner restorers which make up a good portion of NZ enthusiasts today .

As to the condition of each etc one could only comment sensibly if you visited and made your own "hands on "assesment Im surprised therefore at the comments but it seems so far from nobody who has been to view ? colours are a very personal choice ,some i dont mind, but others id be happy to repaint if i liked the car .

I think the museum folks should be appluaded for gathering these cars and preserving them for the next individual owners who may willingly take possesion of each , repair repaint or whatever and derive much pleasure from ownership at an affordable price for their families or personal passion .

in this hobby you can start with an imcomplete wreck and while you may enjoy the rebuild over time etc  id suggest many of these cars are quite authentic and solid, im sure i speak for many of my car friends here in declaring that  we would treasure those greatly .

finally forum or no forum i am sure that more courtesy would prevail from some if we were discussing eye to eye rather than in the present tense ,

my ten cents thank you    

• Like 2

It is a tightrope to walk between honest opinions and not offending someone selling a car.  Ed might be better served with different language but his basic points are usually 100% spot on.

I know it is hard to get past his personality but the advice he is giving is usually gold.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

It is a tightrope to walk between honest opinions and not offending someone selling a car.  Ed might be better served with different language but his basic points are usually 100% spot on.

I know it is hard to get past his personality but the advice he is giving is usually gold.   

Ed has a personality?  How did I not know that....   :)  sorry could not resist.  Mr. Minnie is truly one of a kind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Donald and I are not the same person……..we live about a mile apart. I do have a chance a few times a year to say hello to him………they have a great breakfast at the club, if you don’t choke on the bill first. I’m fortunate to have a parking space by the pool when we stop by with the car guys……….here he is looking our car over recently. We won’t talk about Bannon or Stone…………I bump into them once in a while also.  In Palm Beach you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a politician or a celebrity………..or what passes as either one today. (Sarcasm for both sides!) Both sides of the isle run around raising money like it’s going out of style. 

Moderators……..please leave this post alone, there is no political speech, and I did not bring up the subject. Just respectfully responding to friends here.

IMG_8901.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 6

16 hours ago, Peter S said:

Quite a tsunami of negativity rolling in here, apparently without anyone bothering to look at the cars. I’d be interested to read an actual observer’s sketch of conditions and selling prices.

Yes you need to look at them first..

I know  of 3 car now in Florida and 7 cars are now in MN..