I want to restore 1948 International but is it worth it?

Tscot10

Hello everyone. Im new to this and I’m sure everyone will just roll their eyes at the new guy wanting to start a new hobby. But if anyone could help me or guide me in my decision to purchase this 1948 KB1. There is a LOT of rust and a lot of things that appear broken/rotted away, but I love the truck and I finally have the opportunity to buy it. I just really would like to know if it would be worth it to make the purchase or if it would be way too much work to even get it drivable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to anyone who gives their time to read this.

ps. I don’t know how to add more than 2 pictures to this. Because only 2 pictures won’t show anyone everything.

A39B686C-00F8-44B1-A1D3-654D87F4B765.jpeg

A4472A16-9901-46E7-A558-8338B1FB115D.jpeg

What kind of facilities , skills do you have to enable you to do a lot of the work yourself? Can you weld, form panels to replace rusted out sheet metal? have a sand or bead blaster and the place to use to clean off the rust? That will answer a lot of questions - this is reality, because if you don't or don't know of someone who can let you carefully and safely use their equipment you will have a project that won't advance to the level you can use it.  Get under the truck and check to see the level of rust /rust out on the chassis - if there is a lot then walk away................

• Thanks 1

I would only buy the one in the photo's if I already had a much better one and might be able to use this one for parts. And then only if quite cheap. Unfortunately this KB1 looks very seriously rusty.  These are still relatively common trucks and much better ones can be bought for what is still a pretty low price. 

I love trucks of this era , and own a couple. But I am afraid this one is just a parts truck.  If it is very cheap , buy it and try to get it running. Posibly even yard drivable. But don't spend any time or money on the body. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A beginner with no big garage and no extensive collection of tools and equipment, will simply never be able to save that one.

A guy who has the shop, tools, and skills would never bother with one that rough. (because he knows just how much work, money, and years it would take) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @Walt G and @1912Staver. Although I appreciate your input I must admit it’s extremely disappointing. The price I believe is reasonable ($600.00) and I wasn’t looking to make this thing cherry, but I did want it on the road. I have some welding skills being a pipefitter, but none of the other skills or knowledge that goes with this nor do I really know of anywhere to do the things needed. I’m sure my ignorance will become less as the project progresses, but I just didn’t want to jump in with unrealistic expectations. And the gentleman I’m purchasing it from said he planned to put it on a new frame, so I’m assuming the bottom isn’t in the best shape.

D37CCFD0-728D-439E-ADB4-E58CB20E7D4D.jpeg

D1F377C2-FCC2-4814-B748-FE4B666865AA.jpeg

Rear fenders are not original to the truck and the second step extra addition to the bed was added to allow more material to be hauled - not original from the factory.

Re skills : how much time do you have to work on it? Once you remove something you need a place to keep that or a place to work on it, Two car garage at minimum - one side for the truck and one side for the work area and place to store pieces removed. Man you talked to who owned it - planned to put it on a new frame - probably to make it easier to have an old looking truck with late model mechanicals that can be serviced easier. I know this is disappointing but if you did buy it and start on it , after disassembly - even partially would you then think " what did I do, what did I get into that is beyond me" then you still have a pile of rusty parts for your efforts.  You are looking at years worth of labor and time.  I am not trying to be discouraging , just realistic.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tscot10 said:

And the gentleman I’m purchasing it from said he planned to put it on a new frame, so I’m assuming the bottom isn’t in the best shape.

What that really means is that many people think they can put any old truck body onto a Chevy S-10 running chassis and just like magic, you now have it all ready to go in a few weeks.  But so much of the newer chassis needs to be modified to make it steer and even fit properly.   

Those modern chassis swaps makes a person think that they are easily skipping all the work/money of rebuilding the original truck suspension, brakes, engine, etc.    Most never get finished, because it's just more work of a different type....and...you still have to deal with the rust and rot on the original truck body parts

But you can see that the owner never even tried to do that swap, as he likely has no skills or ambition to try it.  

Advice:  We sometimes buy something just because it's in our local area.  We would be better off finding the best one we can find in our price range even if we have to travel out of state.  You might try putting a wanted ad on F/B Marketplace to see if there are any decent projects in your area.  If you just keep looking at ads for sale on Marketplace, anything that's decent and priced OK seems to be sold in a few hours.  That's why a wanted ad might work better; finding one that is not been advertised.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you have your heart set on an International Harvester Truck of the 1940's era I would hang onto my cash for a bit and extend the search. There are a lot of decent, un-restored IHC's out there that are in far better condition than this one. Take your time and find the right one. While these trucks were common, sheet metal - such as the correct rear fenders, and trim items can be very difficult to find in decent shape. As for the engine... The Diamond series of engines - green diamond, red diamond are plentiful and there is quite a IHC parts supply community since these were used in countless applications. The only down side to this series of pickup is they seem to be a prime target for mish-mashing with modern frames and components. 

You might want to consider KB5 1-1/2 ton. Less demand and fairly plentiful yet fairly cheap.

Again... take your time and find the best condition vehicle that fits your budget.

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When you ask the ? "...worth it" our interpretation is you are going to try and make a buck or two in the end.  The short answer is of course a resounding NO.  There are so many variables as you are seeing in the replies that you need to carefully evaluate your love-affair with that truck as opposed to just getting into the hobby.  Are you "getting into the hobby" because you want the truck, or do you want to join the old car community for all it has to offer?  There are many different ways to enjoy the hobby and I'd suggest first joining AACA if you've not already done so  Join a local Region or Chapter if possible and get to know others in the hobby.  Look at the options you have available based on your resources (time, space, money, etc).  Do you anticipate driving type events, showing, or just spending time with others with similar interests? 

Personally, I'd recommend a more usable starter-vehicle like a Model A, or a Mustang, or better yet - an MGB.  Join and have some fun before you dive into the deep end of the pool with a restoration project you may never finish and might go broke on in the process.  Not a good way to get your feet wet in the wonderful world of old cars. 

If you are stuck on that truck for sentimental or other reasons, and have the storage space and spare cash, you could buy it and save it for a future project. 

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really hate to say that this is a parts truck for a better truck.

I have always liked the K and KBs but this one is a bit to far gone.

These trucks come up in farm auctions in the mid west often and go on the cheaper than the Fords and Chevy's.

• Thanks 1

Here is one that is for sale on my local CL. Looks like it is in extremely good condition . $20,000.00 Canadian. U.S. buyers get a huge discount on the Canadian $. You can't possibly restore a rough one this cheap.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/cto/d/delta-northeast-1948-international-kb2/7507643808.html

• Thanks 2

Thank you everyone for the help and guidance. I appreciate all of it.  Believe it or not, despite everything you guys have said, I’ve decided not to buy it. It’s heartbreaking to let it go, but I needed to hear it. I’ve always wanted a 30-40 truck that I could get and start on with my son. But I need to be patient I guess. I’m still young (33) so I’m glad I’ve had you guys to be my voice of reason. Thank you all.

• Like 4

As someone who bought a car that ended up having more to do than I expected I can tell you that the urge to rebuild and repair subsides as the years when you can’t drive it increase.  Especially as a new enthusiast.  I really suggest you do as is often suggested and buy the best running driving  truck you can afford.  A cheap price is a powerful lure.  Having to do small projects while being able to enjoy the truck will make you much happier long term and much more likely to stay long term in the car hobby. And if $600 is all you can afford right now then saving up and researching the vehicles you like will give you a much more informed outlook.

• Thanks 1

I'm sort of the King of the the DIY Cheapskates, but I'm glad to hear that you walked away from that one. It's just too much, even to get it into safe running shape. Besides the expense of repairs, there are is little parts support. Maybe you could find a running Chevy Task Force 49-50 something truck to start off with. If you start with a running truck you can have a little fun driving it while you work on it. No matter what you buy remember not to get in over your head. Good luck with the hunt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am a big fan of the 41 - 46 Chevy / GMC trucks.  Mine are both the larger trucks, 1 two Ton , 1  Three ton plus a two ton for parts that isn't much better than this IHC. Great trucks , especially the ones with the GMC engine. But these IHC's have great engines as well. Green diamond in my Hobart DC welder.

• Thanks 1

I agree with some others' thoughts:

For your first father-son project, don't make it so large.

If you undertake a project, begin with a good rust-free

car or truck that doesn't take a lot to make driveable.

That way, you can begin to enjoy it soon, and progress

will be visible quickly.

You don't say how old your son is, but if he is young, like

8 or 10 or 12, prompt progress will be meaningful to him.

If your project took 5 years, that's half his lifetime and

would seem forever.  And even some long-term hobbyists

take on too big a job and decades later haven't finished it.

It's similar to being a home handyman:  You and your son

would gain confidence on a birdhouse or work shed, long

before undertaking a Victorian style floating marble stairway.

Your questions are always welcomed by the friendly 

car fans on this forum.

Elms--Newport RI stairway.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I had a KB2 in the wings for years.  Had a bunch of NOS parts for it.  Ultimately, I let it go as I simply didn't have the space to tear it apart and it was not a practical vehicle for the area I live in.  They top out in the low 50s.  

Parts are scarce and becoming expensive.  My understanding is that engine bearings are not available at all.  

They are really cool trucks though, and that flathead is one of smoothest running engines I have fooled with.  

• Thanks 1

I believe I have the space. We have 2 two-car garages and a pole barn, and 9 acres to expand if needed. The space isn’t my issue. It’s my ignorance and lack of materials and tools to do the job and do it right. And I’m kind of a perfectionist when it comes to committing to something, and it would eat me alive to not be able to do it and do it right. I’m going to take everyone’s advice on here and try to look around some more. Again, thank you all for the guidance. I appreciate all of the hospitality into you folks’ world. Hopefully I can become a part of it soon. Thank you from Ava, IL.

• Like 2

Define "worth it."  What are your goals?  Does this truck have some special significance for you?  Would you enjoy working on it?  Or would you more enjoy driving and showing it?  Or do you want to sell it at a profit?  The answers will drive the sort of vehicle you should seek.

Some folks make a living restoring cars, some of them are on this forum.  But they're the exception and they have the skill, tools, time and money (their own or a customer's) to do it.  Most are hobbyists who may be excellent restorers in their own right but they're usually doing well to break even on a car they spent years restoring.  Their reward is the pride and satisfaction in a job well done.

You've gotten good advice from those who've been there, done that and most of it is don't buy the truck.  But they're looking at it as finishing a restoration.  My viewpoint is different.  My first old car wasn't much better than the truck you're considering.  When we finished it wasn't a 100-point car but is was a nice driver and good enough to trophy in local shows.  But it took lots of time, money and help to get there, and we had to acquire the experience and tools to do it.  What I'm getting at is buy the truck as a learning experience.  The price isn't much and you may be able to negotiate it even lower.  You may have to buy tools (which will be required with any restoration) but you can gain experience with disassembly, rust repair, bodywork, component rebuilding, etc.  If that works out, you can invest more in parts and materials to complete the restoration.  If it doesn't, you may be able recover most of your non-tool out-of-pocket by parting out what you can and scrapping the rest.

5 hours ago, Tscot10 said:

Thank you everyone for the help and guidance. I appreciate all of it.  Believe it or not, despite everything you guys have said, I’ve decided not to buy it. It’s heartbreaking to let it go, but I needed to hear it. I’ve always wanted a 30-40 truck that I could get and start on with my son. But I need to be patient I guess. I’m still young (33) so I’m glad I’ve had you guys to be my voice of reason. Thank you all.

If you don't mind a truck that is a bit older here is a decent 1928 Chevy 1 ton that is hiding out in the Ford for sale sub-section of the forum:

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/381555-fs-1928-capitol-1-ton-truck-andover-vermont/#comment-2397349

If it were me I would recommission and make roadworthy and then enjoy. Unfortunately the seller has provided no asking price but I bet you would be on the road for a fraction of the price to restore that IHC.

194091476_FrontLeftAngleViewTight.jpeg.3d5147d77cead33ee996061cf4cb77d2.jpeg

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Just want to add that I commend Tscot10 for being interested in a cool old truck like that, and for asking the question to the experts here BEFORE making an offer to buy it.  I agree with the others that this isn't the truck to get; it's too far gone.  But you're asking the right set of questions to the right set of people, and that's a really good thing.   (Nothing pushes people to leave the old car hobby like a bad first experience!)

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 1

TScot, all great replies and insights. However dont take them all as a negative. I see the original truck posted as something maybe too far gone to do a 'concours restoration' as the cost would be prohibitive. But at the risk of being burned at the stake here, it does look like a great base for a hot rod. What are your intentions? Are there better examples to be restored out there, YES, are they $600? probably not. But keep in mind that the more you can spend to get the 'base' the better you will be in the long run. Like buying tools, get the best you can afford. 

Dont let the comments regarding tools, shop space and experience dissuade you. I restored my car in a one car garage space (although I had plenty of room for storing parts etc. as the one car space was attached to a 4 car garage). Once I got the rusted out hulk of an automobile I realized I needed 1. a media blaster and 2. a welder. I bought the media blaster then realized I needed a compressor to run it. I bought a welder and through some friends that did that kind of a thing for a living learned how to weld. I had my car in the garage for a year before I even touched it while getting the tools I needed as well as educating myself. I had and still not much more than that, have a basic craftsman tool set I bought many years ago. If a special wrench was needed then I would get that and my kit has grown a bit. I did all of the body work including paint. Again, learned what I needed, bought the right tools for the job and jumped in feet first. I worked on this car for about 5 years at times thinking it would never be done, and sometimes with it sitting there for months untouched. But I am a stubborn person by nature and was not going to let it win. In the end I have a (at least in my mind) a beautiful car that I am proud of. It was def. worth it in my case. I bought parts along the way, mostly as I needed them and sometimes if there was a deal.  I cashed in a lot of scrap metal and just pennies out of my budget went to the restoration. At times I had to wait for months to save enough for the next step but when finished there was zero debt on the project. When I started the next one, I realized the cost was significantly less due to the fact that I didnt have to buy new tools, had material left over, etc. 

You dont need a huge shop, and tens of thousands of dollars worth of tools to get started. Find something, jump in and get started.

23 hours ago, Tscot10 said:

I’m sure my ignorance will become less as the project progresses,

Well! With that I am shutting down and heading out to clean up my woods (not golfing)) I just thought of the guy who bought a project and within a short time bought four more for parts. And a couple of those were "too nice to part out".

Go for it. The value is deeper than money. My wife notices. She will say "You don't have a project car now do you" with a bit of compassion in her voice.

I have owned six Jaguars and have not become any less ignorant, although oblivious may be a better tern. My sense of humor is a hell of a lot better, though.

Remember it is a purchase and not a marriage. It's exscapable.

23 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Is golf worth it?  Is a boat worth it? Only you can decide if it is "worth" something to you. Could you ever fix it up and turn a profit.  No you cannot. Could you have a hell of an adventure restoring it?  Yes you could.

True, but do play for a $100 a hole with experienced golfers when your a beginner, knowing you are well out of your league? 

That truck would be a bad adventure for most, considering there are fine examples available out there for the cost to get that one on the road