Are A's and T's getting too impractical?

My fathers 14 T went out for a pre tour shakedown this evening: aka, I road in the back seat with mom and let my dad buy my daughter ice cream. Everything model T performed beautifully and kept up with in town traffic just fine… the aftermarket turn signals that mount with a big magnet that looked better under the fender than on top of it…. Not so much!

• Like 1

JRA, I like your idea. Before I retired in 2020 I used to rotate my cars weekly for my short commute to work and errand running.  This way each got regular use and I could be aware of developing problems. Now that I'm completely retired there are days when I don't drive any car at all. 

• Like 3

I have four Ts, most of them late 20s. I am fortunate to live in SW Michigan where I can easily drive them for errands, to car events and occasionally to work. I say that as an echo to the sentiment that in the right place, driving a T (or an A) regularly is very doable.  I plan to get an A someday as well. On thing I am very aware of is when I am holding up other drivers. I don't just hang out there stubbornly but pull over, wait for the line to clear then continue on. As often as not, in such situations someone will pull over to see if I need help, take a photo or both. If a kid wants their picture taken with (or in) the car I do so gladly.

20220603_175648.jpg

• Like 10

On 7/8/2022 at 8:44 AM, Brass is Best said:

I have been hearing this theory since I was a kid. "All the old guys are dead, nobody wants those old cars". Which is usually followed by "you need to sell me yours on the cheap". Great Model Ts and As will never go out of style.

Hell, since 1982 I have been waiting for the DV-32 market to crater…………instead it’s gone the way of the moon shot.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Hell, since 1982 I have been waiting for the DV-32 market to crater…………instead it’s gone the way of the moon shot.

And I wish the market for those POS Packard Twelves would tank as well. No such luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

I would be happy if someone gave me a 1912 Packard Model 30 Touring. I mean everybody who had one new is dead, so nobody should want one of those.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Brass is Best said:

I would be happy if someone gave me a 1912 Packard Model 30 Touring. I mean everybody who had one new is dead, so nobody should want one of those.

While we are dreaming of the market collapse, I want a slightly older Pierce. 

• Like 3

90% of the market IS collapsing. But it is, so far at least, a very slow collapse. Most of us won't live long enough for prices to become low enough to make OUR dreams come true. The generation that will have great cars available at an affordable price won't be able to care less. 20% or so of todays jewels will be treasured, the rest ? About as treasured as 99% of the buggy's from the 1800's are today. Supply and demand.

In a time of reasonably high demand and a somewhat limited supply, { today }, those with the deepest pockets win.  The rest of us have black era Model T's, 52 Plymouth's and projects.   40 years from now I suspect things will be hugely different. But what will it matter, almost all of us won't be around to see it or take advantage of the much more reasonable prices.

Just one more fact of life for the boomers in the old car hobby. Even Gen X will be a bit too old for things to work in their favor except as relatively old people.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'm a Generation X'er............

Prices are already reasonable.......the definition of supply and demand in a non regulated industry means that the current price is always the correct price regardless if the numbers are trending up or down. Personally I will buy anything I want NOW........I could be dead tomorrow, so I won't wait. Do I own exactly what I want? Nope....supply and demand as well as willingness and ability to pay also come into play for my particular economic conditions. I own cool stuff at numbers I am willing to shell out. "The future is guaranteed to no one." 

My overall point.........live life while you can........

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Ed, your words are so true. I have experienced that first hand health wise, If the old expression "3 strikes and you are out" applies, I have already used up two of those.

13 minutes ago, edinmass said:

The future is guaranteed to no one." 

Absolutely and that is fact. Just be happy with what you have or can get if you can, and the friendships you can encounter.  Try to make someone else have a good day when they aren't having one, thank someone for doing their job - sure they are getting paid to do it most of the time , but a small compliment and recognition of that goes a long way and is remembered when one thinks they are forgotten or taken for granted . As the old sentimental song lyrics state "make someone happy , make just someone happy and you will be happy too".

Walt

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Ed, I already own a few cars I think are really cool. But they are all projects and I am handcuffed as far as proceeding due to the very real road block of a lack of a shop building. 

Cars are dead easy , structures are a huge expense in my area. Very restrictive building codes. Serious earthquake zone. Extremely high labor costs on the stuff you really can't do yourself, and Canadian material costs have never been higher. And Canadian bureaucratic red tape makes most of the U.S. look free and easy. You would almost think we were living in the E.U.

My number one limit is a shop to work in and store a car .A few steps beyond my leaky sheds, lean to and basement work room. Around here that shop is way more to build than the cost of the finished car most of you own. Very close to 100 G's { Canadian } for not all that much more than a double garage. My sights are set on a 30 x 50 building. Permits, site prep, concrete , building kit, finishing touches are rubbing on the underside of that 100G figure today ,locally. And that is with me doing everything after the concrete pour myself. Build smaller to save $ ? As anyone in the construction game will tell you a structure 1/2 the size is still 75% of the cost. Material cost will scale with size, but everything else has a minimum price and bigger really only costs a little more. Did lots of pre planning on this one, and 30 x 50 is my sweet spot for size vs cost.  Saving as fast as I can , but prices are rising faster than I can sock it into the bank. 5 years ago , just before I retired and started to think seriously about my lack of shop problem the cost was only about $50 G's. To rent someone elses 30 x 50 anywhere close to me { within 100 miles }  is $2500 - $3500 / month. Seriously, already looked into that and tossed that idea out the window almost at once. 

Auburn seekers  huge  100 G U.S shop would be $250,000 + to build around here. And his property a minimum 2 Million, with a nice house like his getting close to 3 Million. I have been looking at many lately, wife is fed up with living in a crumbling dump. 

Unless you live here you probably can't even imagine how expensive things are to build here. The Average new house build locally has a $800,000.00 price tag and that is after you cough up an average million { Canadian } for a building lot.

It's just nuts but what are you going to do about it. Live my life today ? There is always the Lottery I guess.

Sorry Matt , I just couldn't help but point out how good extremely advice for 90% of us on the forum is in fact  very location dependent and does not even come close to holding true for some of us..

• Like 1

On the topic of current vintage car hobby concerns:

I have experienced cheap, reproduction new parts. Lousy quality. Made you-know-where. High prices. I’m seeing seller’s lack of accountability and professionalism. Poor service and general knowledge. Lack of care or ownership to correct problems. Dishonest business practices. Add-in all the scammers using the internet and technology to steal from an honest person just trying to keep his old car running. Then there’s the shipping. Its gotten exponentially worse and higher priced. How about a $15 part and $50 to drop in in the mail?

It’s no wonder many are going the hot-rod route. Bountiful parts. Nothing rare. Every parts business around the corner can get you what you need. Endless local used parts and bolt-on speed options. At every car show there’s countless owners to collaborate with. You walk-in to your local respected Chevy dealer and order a new LS crate motor to drop-in. 

In my experience the situation is certainly a detriment to the stock, old vintage car hobby. Depends where you live and your car brand of choice. Your mileage may vary. 

• Like 5

Going back to the original topic,  while As and Ts are slower in traffic,  if you are okay with a non-brass-era T or a closed A, it really is tough to find a more practical, accessible or affordable entry level collector car than an early Ford. So...there is some balance to things.

• Like 4

The first antique car that I saw and fell in love with was a 1937 Buick Sedan that I saw in the early 1980's when I was in my 20's. I could not buy it and vowed that one day I would own a 1937 Buick. I got into the hobby in my 30's and started with a Model A Ford. I owned a multiple Model A Fords over about 20 years. A little over a decade ago, I remembered my plans to own a 1937 Buick, and thought, "I am retired, someday is now!". I sold my Model A and bought a 1937 Buick Century Sedan. I still own the Century, have bought and sold a few different vehicles, and after having restored and sold a 1938 Buick Century, I now also own a 1937 Buick Roadmaster Convertible Phaeton.

Back to the original question... A Model A Ford does not have the horsepower that my Buicks have but they still do fine, at least in my area, as long as you stay off of the Interstate. I have driven a friends Model T Ford, and while I think they are just too small and slow for me, we have local club members who drive them and love them.    

• Like 1

I am presently in the market for a one or two cylinder car.  I have inquired for my preferred car and money is not the issue,  This one has had the same owner for 40 years, veteran of the London to Brighton run, long pedigree and is loved.  My wife and I have been married nearly 50 years, lived in the same house for 35, toured with the group for 25 and I still have people writing me references.  You want a brass Ford, you can have one tomorrow.  When you want a car, a special car, you have to convince the owners that you are the person to care for their possession.  Money does not enter into it.

Regards, Gary

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The repro parts for Model A and T are many times poor quality, indeed, but they still exists. Many other cars from same era are much more difficult to maintain and keep running properly due to challenge of finding parts. Anyway, fortunately we have internet and forums like this one, where solutions for complex problems pop up every day. Maybe services were best and cheaper in the past, but the amount of information available today, the possibility of connections and sharing, global supply chain, simplicity of international payments, all together make the hobby today much more sustainable than in the past.

I live in Brazil and can keep my cars running and in good condition, based on information I get and share in the internet, parts and literature I buy abroad that are easily shipped to me.

Hot rods will always be around, as original antique car collectors as ourselves, among other things.
The number of cars produced back in 1920s is frozen in time, but every year we continue to see survivors from that era coming to life, being restored, maintained. I have a positive view of our hobby. Most people enjoy and smile when they see my cars running in day to day activities. Its a hobby that brings joy to me and others. I started in this hobby when I was 24 y.o., and now I am 47 y.o., and I am glad to see more people coming to share our joy and mission. 

Edited by JRA (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, cxgvd said:

I am presently in the market for a one or two cylinder car.  I have inquired for my preferred car and money is not the issue,  This one has had the same owner for 40 years, veteran of the London to Brighton run, long pedigree and is loved.  My wife and I have been married nearly 50 years, lived in the same house for 35, toured with the group for 25 and I still have people writing me references.  You want a brass Ford, you can have one tomorrow.  When you want a car, a special car, you have to convince the owners that you are the person to care for their possession.  Money does not enter into it.

Regards, Gary

I agree 100 % with regards to  " special " cars. Not even close to being in the running for a  "special " car even if money issues are set aside.  { in my case that easy , any day of the week , brass Ford would be very special }. 

And I suspect most on this forum are closer to my situation than yours.

I do have a couple of projects that are in my books very special. Quite rare and even somewhat desirable cars that are total , ground up undertaking propositions. Even if I had the means to buy finished examples I probably would not live long enough to even see one for sale , let alone an example that would be both drivable and accessible to me.  My Brass Era basket case is one of 5 known survivors of that make, my later 1950's Sports car project is one of 2 known to the one make club, a variation of a slightly more popular model that has about 12 known survivors. And my stand by , open wheel vintage racing project is one of 6 built by that maker.  They built lots of the car for the next lower class. But mine was built as a semi  professional level Formula 3 car. Early 1970's. Cosworth BDA power from the works.

Only been with my wife 35 years so you have me well beat there. Only been in the same house 26 years.  And have never even been on one tour.

Projects and newer hobby cars that ran  for 50 years now. But never a old car tour sort of car that we could use. Very busy career up till 4 years ago { wife is still a Health Care, management team member } plus all the family stuff. and lots of weekend work for both my wife  and I { Marine transportation for the bulk of my working years } even getting time off for the odd swap meet was usually an ordeal, touring just wasn't possible even If I had of owned a tour worthy car. In my case my normal shift rotation was 2 of every 3 weekends at work. Made the social side of old cars nearly impossible.

Some of us still drive the "wheels off" of them. Then again, on the Glidden Tour in Oklahoma City a few years ago, I did get to drive this T on an Interstate. I just knew that highway would take me directly back to the hotel. Well, it was in the right direction, but I ended up going west on the Interstate for about 3 miles, on the apron as close as I could get, modern cars zinging past me! :-)

Broken T.png

SAVANNA GA.jpg

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, R W Burgess said:

Some of us still drive the "wheels off" of them. Then again, on the Glidden Tour in Oklahoma City a few years ago, I did get to drive this T on an Interstate. I just knew that highway would take me directly back to the hotel. Well, it was in the right direction, but I ended up going west on the Interstate for about 3 miles, on the apron as close as I could get, modern cars zinging past me! 🙂

Broken T.png

Craig

2 hours ago, cxgvd said:

Regards, Gary

In the above entry the story I tried to relate is sometimes a car you want to acquire is not for sale   Then a person must convince the sellers you should and could be the next caretaker.  The home for their loved wheels is more important than the money received to the seller.  That works in reverse too, if a seller believes your the best person to care for their car he or she will take a lower price to save the car becoming into a hot rod for instance.

I only buy cars from people I know, never auctions or dealers because they have no emotional attachment to the chattel.  You know deep down, the best examples do not hit want ads.  Gary

• Like 4

Point taken Gary. Unfortunately in the few cases of people I personally know, who were selling cars I might have wished to have taken under my wing, money has always been an up front and important  concideration. On both sides of the transaction. In fact if the seller is known to me I am less likely to attempt to negotiate. I just assume their opening price is what they think is fair. Either I can pay it or I can't.  I don't remember ever actually buying a car from someone I previously knew. I have sold a few that way. And I usually made a allowance for the right home and previous relationships being worth some sort of discount. But I have not had the good luck for that to work in reverse. Generally hunt until the right car is found, and if I can swing it negotiate a price we can both live with. Had to walk away from far more than I could close on. Often close, but usually  that extra bit that put it all over the edge. I wouldn't waste anyones time on a car that wasn't in theroy at least within my reach.

Been heavily involved with old cars for 50 years now. Generally I have only seen things get more expensive over that time. And in relation to my disposible income if anything even more so as the decades go by.

Perhaps I should move to Ontario. B.C. has always been understood to mean  " bring cash " for all of my nearly 6 decades here. Manitoba as a boy. 

It would be a real breath of fresh air to learn there are places that the right home is more important than the right number of zero's on the payment . Probably my old car circles are not wide enough. And not enough time remaining in my life . As you say these things can take upwards of 25 or more years of touring together  to establish. Not enough sand left in my hourglass for that to happen.

1 hour ago, cxgvd said:

In the above entry the story I tried to relate is sometimes a car you want to acquire is not for sale   Then a person must convince the sellers you should and could be the next caretaker.  The home for their loved wheels is more important than the money received to the seller.  That works in reverse too, if a seller believes your the best person to care for their car he or she will take a lower price to save the car becoming into a hot rod for instance.

I only buy cars from people I know, never auctions or dealers because they have no emotional attachment to the chattel.  You know deep down, the best examples do not hit want ads.  Gary

I was helping a friend move stuff a few years ago, and we somehow got to talking cars. He mentioned that I'd be a good caretake for one of his. Never, in my 60+ years in the hobby had anyone ever said that, it really meant a lot to me. World class car with history. If I ever win the Lottery I plan to give him a call.

Bob 

• Like 3

On 7/9/2022 at 6:20 PM, JRA said:

The modern car is too far to be an easy option. 

By doing that, I can keep the cars in good condition.....

"Being too far" also helps you getting exercise walking a little further each time to your modern car too.

17 hours ago, R W Burgess said:

Some of us still drive the "wheels off" of them.

"Was that failure due to metal fatigue?"

"Ummmmmm, metal fatigue. Yeah! That's it! Metal fatigue. Yep. Uhuh. That's it for sure."

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

"Ummmmmm, metal fatigue. Yeah! That's it! Metal fatigue. Yep. Uhuh. That's it for sure."

This is my major concern in these century old cars. I had expenrience of metal fatigue in the transmission shaft of my 1928 Chevrolet, fortunately without any unsafe situation. In my view, frequent maintainance and detailed inspections of our cars are the only things we can do to keep them running safely.

• Like 4

I was kidding about metal fatigue in the instance of that picture. However, well over 30 years ago Skinned Knuckles Magazine was running articles on the importance of using the Magnaflux process on suspension and steering parts for cars that were 50 and 60 years old at the time. It is not often mentioned today.

Metallurgy has changed over the decades. Henry Ford did say he built his cars from the best steel and iron of the day but that day was 100 years ago for the T's, and the A's not far behind. In the early 1930's the average age of a car on the road was 6 or 7 years. That's what Henry was hoping for. 18 times the expected lifespan is a bit of a stretch.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

After the fact, I'd say it would be good to jack the cars up and test the looseness of each wheel. In our case the rear axles were worn and the wheel nut could not keep the wobble down. Needless to say, the nut got tired, tore off the cotter key, and the wheel decided to pass us while making a slow right turn. We just sat there and laughed, the way to finish a wonderful tour of Savanna Georgia. Of course Franklin Gage said it was a perfect tour, since perfect tours require Wayne to have some kind of major breakdown. Ha ha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Late to.this party.  A dumb question!

No more impractical.then fishing ,hunting ,crusing a bar to get laid! Or model rail roading,playing the banjo or volunteering at a rehab.

The whole hobby is stupid! Like most hobbies...But.we do what.we do to keep head shrinkers employed.

• Like 2

I may be way off base on my assessment as to why T’s and A’s may be going out of style applies to many antique cars. From personal experience I’d say it’s because younger generations have never grown up with a manual transmission.

My daughter was given a 1 ton Chevy pickup from my sister. On her first attempt to drive it she put it in granny gear let out the clutch and, even though she knew to step on the brake, she promptly drove into and killed our trash cans. She wouldn’t drive it again, so I eventually sold it (and have kicked myself in the rear “brain” ever since). She is set to inherit my 1925 Maxwell but is leery about what to do with it (still won’t let me teach her).

My son loved my father-in-law’s ‘25 Chevy touring so Dad left it to him when he passed. My son was very excited to drive it until he couldn’t find “Drive”. So Dad (me) (who incidentally knew nothing before this) took the time to teach him how to drive it. Now he drives it as often as life allows.

The T club to which I belong has started an outreach program offering to teach people to drive manual trans cars hoping to increase interest in old cars and increase membership. Even we are not immune to attrition.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Max4Me said:

I’d say it’s because younger generations have never grown up with a manual transmission.

The members of my generation and all preceding generations, but never later ones, were picked up by the ankles at birth, given one sharp smack, and all the skills, talent, and knowledge was installed on the spot.

I'm just kidding and taking credit for someone's quote. I forgot if it was Plato or Socrates. Or maybe one of their grandfathers.

I can’t figure it out either. USA and the automobile is synonymous. The history is fascinating. The engineering. Design. The factory workers. The unions. The assembly lines. The thousands of car manufacturers who never survived. American household names like Henry & Edsel Ford. Walter Chrysler. John and Horace Dodge. Durant and so many more.  The fortunes. The quirky ways the rich boys in Deteoit acted and how they spent their money.  So many great stories. I just keep finding and reading  more and more books on the subject. To me the topic is tireless and enthralling. 

The Model T. What a story. 15 million plus made. I covet one. Some day maybe I’ll own one. It had such a massive impact on people. Everyone could afford one. Over a hundred years later I can’t seem to find an affordable one. Lol.  I’m more of a Mopar guy. I have my feelers out on a ‘23 DB coupe. Yet, I’d take a Model T any day.  Slow and probably  very unsafe. Accident prone menace on the roads? Who cares! I’ll take my chances. 

So many old cars. So little time, space and money. The struggle is real! I can’t quite grasp why these cars are not appealing to so many younger folks. 

5F109AC1-7060-4376-A8A2-8DC28835B9C7.jpeg

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

They aren't "getting" impractical, they've been impractical as "real" cars for decades. That said, I still drive the wheels of my '26, but typically on two lane roads, ideally dirt, and with as little traffic as possible. I finally installed turn signals and a stop light after almost getting run over a handful of times by drivers who don't understand hand signals. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2022 at 12:04 PM, Max4Me said:

I may be way off base on my assessment as to why T’s and A’s may be going out of style applies to many antique cars. From personal experience I’d say it’s because younger generations have never grown up with a manual transmission.

My daughter was given a 1 ton Chevy pickup from my sister. On her first attempt to drive it she put it in granny gear let out the clutch and, even though she knew to step on the brake, she promptly drove into and killed our trash cans. She wouldn’t drive it again, so I eventually sold it (and have kicked myself in the rear “brain” ever since). She is set to inherit my 1925 Maxwell but is leery about what to do with it (still won’t let me teach her).

My son loved my father-in-law’s ‘25 Chevy touring so Dad left it to him when he passed. My son was very excited to drive it until he couldn’t find “Drive”. So Dad (me) (who incidentally knew nothing before this) took the time to teach him how to drive it. Now he drives it as often as life allows.

The T club to which I belong has started an outreach program offering to teach people to drive manual trans cars hoping to increase interest in old cars and increase membership. Even we are not immune to attrition.

If your daughter decides to sell the Maxwell, I am interested.

Andy 540 454-4440

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2022 at 9:04 AM, Max4Me said:

Maybe that's true for the "A", but the "T" was a planetary transmission. Nothing unusual way back in 1908, but for most of the "T"s run through it's most popular years in the 20s a huge part of it's appeal was that anyone could drive it. You did not need to learn to shift a manual. Learning to shift a manual was a higher bar then because there was no synchromesh at the time. Quite a few older folks kept driving "T"s until they died, even after the war, because they never learned to drive manuals.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

On this side of the Pacific our government is on a relentless drive to reduce the road toll. It would appear they think the primary culprit is speed, so they are busy reducing speed limits all over the country. Of course, well know that poor driving standards are a major factor - like texting while driving etc.   I live on the outskirts of the second largest city, population just over 400,000 counting the nearby small towns. A bit of history. I am not sure what the country's open road limit was pre-WW2 but after the war it was 50 mph and in the 1960s was raised to 55 mph and then about the same time the country went metric in the early 1970s it was raised to 100 kph (62 mph). When the gas crisis hit, a gas saving measure, it was dropped to 80 kph (51 mph) for a few years but then returned to 100. The limit on the road past my house where I have lived most of my life was until a few years ago whatever the 'open road' limit was. A few years ago, the local council decided that all of the rural roads within their area would have the limit reduced to 80. After the big earthquakes we had in 2010-2011 forced many people to relocate to adjacent towns the traffic on our road was rapidly increasing. I am two miles from what was then the first set of lights towards town and at 7 am traffic would be at a standstill outside here, the start of a slow crawl to town for commuters. Back in the 1960s a major northern arterial road was proposed and a few miles of it built but with the gas crisis the government was convinced there would be no more oil after 1980 and it went no further. Post-earthquakes, with so many people moving north it was decided that the section through the northern outskirts should be built and that was opened a couple of years ago. We have seen a huge drop in traffic volume past the house. Unfortunately, or fortunately for some, the government's drive to reduce limits has seen the limit on our road reduced to 60 kph, along with thousands of other minor rural roads in the country. Btw in the cities many streets have had their limits reduced to 30 kph (18 mph) and I heard recently that in some parts of Auckland they are reducing the limit to 10 kph (6 mph).

There is one positive to this. It means it is less dangerous to drive our 1920s cars in the local area. The only problem is that the 60 kph limit is almost universally ignored, and I am sure the local traffic police can see the ridiculousness of the 60kph limit when traffic is light. Late at night and especially in the early hours there are still plenty of vehicles - cars and bikes - who are not only greatly exceeding the 60 limit, but also greatly exceeding the old 100 kph limit.

Unfortunately, probably due to many of the same circumstances happening in the US it is uncommon to see a pre-WW2 car being used for an errand or coming along to the many old car events that happen frequently. There is a coffee and cars type event within half an hour's drive almost every weekend. There was small American car day on this past Sunday, but I chose to stay home and watch the New Zealand round of the World Rally Championship live in TV. The big local swap meet is on next weekend (less than 30 minutes away), which also coincides with the big V8 Supercars race at Bathurst in Australia. The following Sunday there is a coffee and cars event at the same venue and on the first Sunday of November there is the annual American Car Day, a different venue, but again less than 30 minutes away, which usually attracts over 500 cars. I will probably take the 1929 Studebaker out and it is likely to be the oldest car there.

In contrast our annual wintertime back country run, limited to pre 1932 cars and which has been happening every year since the mid 1950s, is proving increasingly popular. Back in the 1950s there would be only a dozen or so cars. The first time I went in 1979 there were about 40, and even in the 1990s there were less than 100. The increasing numbers, expected to be about 200 next year, of which more than half will be Ford As, mean that the planners have to use less difficult roads. This shot is from this year's event. My son and I took our 1929 Plymouth.

The first photo is from this year, and the second from 2014. We do get snow sometimes, as in 2019.

284601011_432923218676463_7571513042517835782_n.jpg

IMG_0869 a.JPG

IMG_9425 resize.JPG

• Like 3

40 years ago I had a 1915 Model T Touring, a 1931 Model A Coupe and a 1934 Ford V8.   All of them were restored by me.   All of them ran and

drove well.   I did too.

Now the cars are older and I am too, but I didn't age as well as the old Fords.   My shocks and valves and spindels are all needing replacement.

I still own and drive my V8 Fords, but the Model T that I'm lusting after seems like a pipe dream at this age.    I still think they are younger mans cars,

kind of like Collage Footgall Cheer Leaders.   Not much hope there either.

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Haha 3