Are A's and T's getting too impractical?

I have noticed what seems like an increasing number of Ford Model A's and T's for sale as well as other late '20's and early '30's cars of similar power and highway speed.

Are these low power, low speed cars just getting too impractical to own and drive? Today's traffic seems more intolerant than ever - even on what we used to call "back roads".

Seems like (with some exceptions) prices are dropping and availability is increasing.

Are we seeing a market adjustment or just a bunch of us old guys heading to the rocking chair?

• Like 1

I guess that would depend on where one lives. I live in western PA where it's still fairly rural and had plenty of roads that I could easily drive my "A" on without any trouble. Naturally, one would have to avoid any major highways for safety sake, and even on the backroads you'll find the guy whose always wants to drive 80 mph everywhere, but in my opinion, they are still a very viable. Today one does have to be more cautious and alert to traffic as it seems that 45 is now the new 60, and virtually no one obeys any speed or traffic laws!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As a professional restorer these last 44 years I thought we would never again be asked to restore another T or A given the cost of restoration versus sales price.  I was wrong.  Last year we completed a total restoration of a 1930 Fordor A and are now well into the complete restoration of a '19 T Touring. The beat goes on as the old song says.

• Like 9

For regular driving I would have thought a Model T's time was long past. Exception being an organized tour. Model A's I would think can still be used safely in a lot of parts. I am in the DC-Philly corridor and about 5 miles from I95. There are plenty of places I would never consider driving one of these, heck I dont like driving my 70's car on some of these roads. But I am right in the middle of the cow pasture so to speak and most of the roads in my county could easily accomodate an A, not sure I would use a T. 

• Like 2

I don't know if old guys are heading for the front porch or whatever, however if you want a Model A or T and notice the prices are reasonable this would be the correct time to acquire one.  Get one on a children's ticket, on sale or coupon shopping.  Next weekend I am joining with a pre war tour for two days of comradeship, BBQs, ice cream and interesting stops, can't do it without a car.  I am registered for the Old Car Festival.  I would rather drive a $20,000 Dodge Brothers with like minded folks than a $200,000 Mustang.

Regards, Gary

• Like 10

Rare, low production Model Ts and As will always command a premium, however the prices for the more plentiful models does seem to have softened.

I bought my 1924 Model T Ford in 2013 for $8000.00.  The mechanical and paint work had already been done, it just needed upholstery and a top, which I installed.  I also installed a spare tire mount, AC accessory brakes, and a Ruckstell two speed rear axle.

I was originally looking for a Model A Ford, but good ones in comparable shape to the T I bought were more than I was willing to spend at the time.  It seems to me that Model T prices have held or only slid back a bit, but Model A prices have receded to the point where they are only slightly higher than comparable Model Ts.

Regarding practicality, I live in a semi-developed rural area.  There are still many streets that I can comfortably cruise at 30 mph in the T.  If I choose to drive on the larger side roads with speed limits of 50-60 mph, I keep an eye on the rear view mirror and pull over for faster traffic as needed.  I would never take the T on an interstate, it can't comfortably meet the 45 mph minimum speed requirement.  I don't currently own a Model A, but I'm assuming I would be able to drive any of the side roads without having to pull over for faster traffic.  I still wouldn't take it on an interstate (unless perhaps it had an overdrive).  :)

IMG_9465.JPG

IMG_9466.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

Edited by cudaman (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I think the older cars are just being turned over as the current owners are aging out of the hobby are having their cars sold.  Think baby boomers.  Aging out and passing on.   With such a large number of individuals in that age group there is a large number of cars coming to market causing some of the prices to soften.

As for driving those old cars, as long as you are not in a high speed area, you can still drive these cars. Take them out in the "country" and enjoy the ride.  Last year we drove almost 2,000 miles on our 1913 Buick touring car.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

For regular driving I would have thought a Model T's time was long past. Exception being an organized tour. Model A's I would think can still be used safely in a lot of parts. I am in the DC-Philly corridor and about 5 miles from I95. There are plenty of places I would never consider driving one of these, heck I dont like driving my 70's car on some of these roads. But I am right in the middle of the cow pasture so to speak and most of the roads in my county could easily accomodate an A, not sure I would use a T. 

Unfortunately, getting your 'oohs' and 'ahhs' for your A's and T's being driven and seen on the road are over; a trend I've been seeing that started 20 or more years ago.  The 'one finger salute' happens a lot, from what I've heard from many vintage car owners in the past number of years.  .

Craig

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 8E45E said:

The 'one finger salute' happens a lot, from what I've heard from many vintage car owners in the past number of years.  .

Craig

I have never see that in all of the driving we have had driving our cars and truck.   Most of the time people are taking pictures.  Our standard comment after going out for a drive is we wonder how many facebook pages we will be on at the end of the drive.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Larry Schramm said:

I have never see that in all of the driving we have had driving our cars and truck.   Most of the time people are taking pictures.  Our standard comment after going out for a drive is we wonder how many facebook pages we will be on at the end of the drive.

I wished lived where you are, if that's the case.  I want to move there! 

Drivers are too much in a rush to reach the next red light here.

Craig

1 minute ago, 8E45E said:

I wished lived where you are, if that's the case.  I want to move there! 

Drivers are too much in a rush to reach the next red light here.

Craig

Start packing and move to SE Mich, north of Detroit in the northern suburbs. 

Lots of open roads to drive on with so-so traffic.  There are lots of nice rides up in the thumb area.  Plus SE Michigan has more car events in the summer than you will be able to attend.  Almost every weekend has at least one event if not overlapping events in the area.

• Like 2

My heart is set to eventually move to Vancouver Island.  There is a great interest in vintage cars, and the weather there permits almost year-round driving of them.  And most important, they don't have the population density of where I presently live.

Craig

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jpage said:

...I live in western PA where it's still fairly rural and had plenty of roads that I could easily drive my "A" on without any trouble. 

Yes, Pennsylvania, for one, has plenty of rural roads!

Many are paved;  many are unpaved.  And population

is stable and quite low, too, in many parts.

When I wanted to photograph my car, I just parked it

in the middle of the road for a few minutes and

snapped away.  No other cars came by.

Where I used to live, I could sometimes drive to work

for 15 miles at 35-45 m.p.h. and not see another car

going either direction.  That was at "rush" hour on my

alternate route.  Typically, there were 2 or 3 cars on

that road in those 15 miles. 

The Midwest and Mideast have plenty of places to drive

if you stay away from cities.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Being in the hot rod crowd,  :hide: I have also noticed that Tee's are being less popular. Although they go fast, they are too small and uncomfortable to drive, according to the owners.

I look at driving a Model T or Model A in the same way I look at bicycle riders riding with their back to the traffic. It's their mind, their body. If you haven't noticed the intent of many drivers is "How fast, how close".

An old man will take unnecessary risks just to prove  point.

• Haha 2

AzBob you beat me to it...I was going to post the same link...I just got finished reading the thread on this in the MTFCA site.

I have no problem getting out and driving my model T. Where I live I have roads that are less traveled but I have no issue going into town where there are stop lights and lots of people going in and out of parking lots. I have been driving T's for 34 yrs and have probably have well over 50,000 miles in Model T's, I work on my cars and have a lot of confidence in my cars abilities and mine. That does not mean that s**t can't happen and have on more than 1 occasion skidded my rear tires by braking real hard,(yes you can do that in a T). Allot still has to do with driver being aware of what's going on around them and knowing what your car can do, and doing it safely.

My dad just turned 87 and still likes to drive his Model T, for him I have my reservations on him going places where there is more traffic. I have no problem with him driving around home which is out in country and not much traffic and he enjoys taking neighbours and little kids for rides around the block, but I don't want him going into town.

• Like 3

I drive our A on appropriate roads.  Don't really care about oohs and ahhs - its a largely different world than 40 odd years back.  

I was called a "f****** A****** once on my way to a local event in my tudor, due to slow start and need to be in the left hand lane to make a lh turn.  Well dressed woman in a higher end SUV with a vanity plate.  Saw the same woman a week later (vanity plate...😉) at the orientation for new parents at a private school our kids were obviously attending together.  Mrs. Mack wouldn't let me start anything by complimenting our new fellow parent on her  manners and language skills so I let it go.  Some of the worst people dress like the best.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Wish I had time to respond by I'm out in the garage polishing some brass.  Getting ready to take the 1914 T our for a ride. 

Terry

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I drive our A on appropriate roads.  Don't really care about oohs and ahhs - its a largely different world than 40 odd years back.  

I was called a "f****** A****** once on my way to a local event in my tudor, due to slow start and need to be in the left hand lane to make a lh turn.  Well dressed woman in a higher end SUV with a vanity plate.  Saw the same woman a week later (vanity plate...😉) at the orientation for new parents at a private school our kids were obviously attending together.  Mrs. Mack wouldn't let me start anything by complimenting our new fellow parent on her  manners and language skills so I let it go.  Some of the worst people dress like the best.

Make sure to pick up your kid(s) from school one day in the Model A.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Pretty big difference between a Model T and a model A both in drivability and price. Model T Fords are cool but with the exception of the brass cars they have always been very affordable. They are "low speed" (25-30 mph) vehicles so where you can safely drive them might be limited. Model A Fords are also affordable but not not quite as affordable as a T. Model A's are good road cars and can run 45-50 mph pretty easily when needed. I'm not afraid to run a Model A on most any 2 lane road but you won't catch me on the interstate. I have not noticed a big drop in price or demand for either but definitely not Model A's. Kind of comparing apples and oranges.

• Like 2

A’s and T’s are still desired and all of them eventually find a buyer.  Country roads or city side streets work just fine.  The vast majority of my old car rides are taking kids to get ice cream and there isn’t a speed limit over 25 along the route.

I think a bit of a price adjustment may be needed to bring in new blood. There are a lot of boomers that had/have a lot of wealth and very long retirements to find and enjoy hobbies.  A guy that got a first old car for a few hundred bucks then developed a six figure or more collection over a twenty or fifty year span.  The price to start playing has gone up, so the supply of new blood cannot support the prices of the last few decades. That said, they all eventually get bought. 

• Like 1

I'm 50; what do us Gen X'ers think of these cars? One guy I know has owned a pair of A's for years. Another picked up a beautiful Tudor last year. I've been looking for something from that era myself, and it would be an easy sale for my wife. (She loves The Walton's and dreams of owning the cars she sees on there.) If I have reservations it's that I drive my cars quite a bit, not so much on highways (no interstates where I live) but there are times where I would have to plan my day carefully to avoid some places where even a well-tuned A shouldn't really be. 

I have noticed I've gradually seen less of these cars on the road. No more than 20 years ago, there were at least a half-dozen A's being driven on at least a monthly basis in my small town. One used to drive past my house regularly (and I never even knew who the guy was!) I can't actually remember the last time I passed anything from the 20s motoring along. (Those guys I know? Yep, they've got them, they just never seem to drive them.)

Like many folks, I want the price to drop-drop-drop, so I can grab an excellent example at a bargain basement price...then I want it to go up-up-up.

I just relocated the cad for that reason, it’s just not that enjoyable to drive it in suburbia - it’ll be semi regional where I can take it to get a coffee and have some good 40mph roads

I have noticied that many "baby boomers" of which I am myself that have the older cars are seeming to loose their confidence in driving as they age even in modern cars let alone older cars. It irks me that all these great cars are not being driven because the owners are scared to drive them on modern roads. Of course you don't take a T or even another model 20's car on the interstate buy most highways will be OK. Just stay in the slow lane and let the cars go by. Except for the AACA shows and even some of those now are not showing the older cars as much because the owners are aging and don't want to drive them anymore.  In the Durant car world we have a hard time getting many club members to even bring their cars to a meet. A number of people show up, but with no cars. We even had a club meet once in Charleston SC where 30 member's showed up but not one person brought a car. We had two people bring parts but no cars. Don't figure!   It's important to get these out and let people see automotive history, particularly now that EV's are being pushed so much.  Let everyone know the history of the combustion engine and that they are alive!

• Like 6

The circle of individuals that we, my wife and I associate with are doing a number of driving tours every summer.  The number of tours for the members go from a low of maybe 4 or 5 to one member doing as many as 15 tours each summer. 

We personally have three tours that are back to back the month of September.   

We have driven our '13 so much that we have worn out the tires and I need to put new tires on it.  I recently got the tires and will be doing that job in the next couple of weeks.

We barely let the engines get cold during the touring season.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I sold our 1915 Model T Touring alsost 40 years ago, and would llike to get another.   A properly equipped Model T can be real driveable

with axillary brakes and a Ruxtal rear end.  My concernis my long legs and two new knees.   A practice dirive is in order before I buy

a 1914 Touring T, that's equipped properly.

Where we live, all the roads are crooked and slow speeds are not unusual, my concern is all the steep hills/mountains.   When we do local tours the 1914 and 1925 T's stay right with us!2016-2.jpg.9ea33d6bb2cf670487e0f9e4bf0157b5.jpg

1915ModelT.jpg

• Like 1

I think that it is all cyclical. I read once back in the early 1970's that the most popular collector car had been the Model A. Baby Boomers grew up during the muscle car era and have really driven up the prices of these models. The cars have held their value but i think a lot of younger people don't have the same interest at current prices, and are looking elsewhere. I remember driving my small motorcycles on secondary and back roads when I was starting out. It would be fun to do that with a vintage car, I had a dream of driving a Model T up Ca. Highway One from the Mexican border to the Canadian border, maybe I'll get the chance.

• Like 1

I really enjoy late 1920s cars. I do not use them for long runs, but I adopt a routine with them that pleases myself, at the same time keeps the cars in order. 
During weekends, I park my modern car in a garage about 200 yards far from my house. Then any normal activity I need a car, for simplicity, I have to use an antique car, that is parked in a garage just beside the house.

By doing that, I rotate the cars I use, keep them in operation, and  at the same time, identify any problems or needs to correct later.

Therefore, going to supermarket, movies, club, restaurant, or anything I need to go in my routine during weekends, I use an antique car. Day or night, sun or rain, light or high traffic, street or road. The modern car is too far to be an easy option. 

By doing that, I can keep the cars in good condition, test all systems and also enjoy them.

For sure, the Ford Model A is one of the best options for this routine driving.

Edited by JRA (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1