Uncle Al, Pearl Harbor survivor now belongs to the ages.......

edinmass

My uncle Al died last night. An American hero.........he was at Pearl Harbor when the shit hit the fan. Pulled out men from the water while the fires were raging and saved countless lives.......went on to be a navigator on B-29’s. Went into the drink twice while on missions over Japan. Was influential in the building of the Punch Bowl cemetery. (Google it in images and Wikipedia). He often visited his friends buried there.....having a beer and a shot on the graves of the men lost. He stayed in the service and left as a full bird colonel. He was hard as concrete, and a gentle family man. He made millions over the years, and lived the frugal lifestyle of his upbringing..........giving much of his time and money to charity. I stayed with him for a month in my 16th year in Hawaii......where he showed this young man history of the war, and what dedication to you country and fellow man really means.  He also took me to the red light district as part of my history lesson. He was colorful and full of life. Blind the last few years, he learned to navigate around his new neighborhood by cane and make a whole new set of friends in his last few years. Simply put.....he was a good guy. Godspeed uncle.......you earned your rest. The world is a better place for your efforts........

• Like 28
  • Thanks 15

Ed,

My deepest condolences to you and your family. Your description of your uncle Al reminded me of several of my uncles from that same generation that time is quickly passing by. On behalf of myself and my family we express our gratitude for your uncle Al's service. 

• Like 1

Thanks Terry......he had a great run. No sadness in his passing as he was hurting. Just great memories of a life well lived. I can’t curse in French without thinking of him..........😎

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Ed, I'm so sorry for your loss. The ones left behind bear the hurt but the relief from pain is a godsend for your uncle.  Your family has been hit hard this year and our thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones. I was lucky enough to have a full bird air force colonel as a mentor that was a lot like your uncle. Amazing what those heroes went thru and went on to ask for more in honor of our country. Truly every one of them command respect and should never be forgotten. God speed to Uncle Al. 

dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Did not know your family but admire what he accomplished. My dad was in WW2 and experienced some bad action. He made sure I knew as a young man how to fly the flag, fold it respect it and never let it touch the ground. He also told me if I find a flag on the ground to pick it up! Great lessons from great people. He taught me humility to help others in need as we are all brothers and sisters. Never forgot his lessons. You are very lucky to have an uncle like this too!

• Like 1

Your tribute to your uncle brought a few tears to my eyes. Tears of sadness as that truly greatest generation continues to fade away. Tears of gratitude for your tribute to him, and the fact that you care enough to continue to honor him. 

My deepest condolences to you, your and his family, and his good friends.

• Like 2

Ed,

So fitting, that your Uncle Al built memories, awareness, respect, and was a part of what shaped you.

Thank you for reminding me, as if I really need to be reminded, of those same qualities my dad, Al, a Navy SeaBee in the South Pacific during those WWII years, helped us to live.

Condolences to you, and to all of Al's family and friends.

May his memory be a blessing

Here is the Navy Hymn, Eternal father, Strong to save: 

• Like 1

Its a shame, but we are losing the greatest generation quickly now.  Not many left, and they all have a story to tell if they are willing to do so.  Listen to them.  

I had an Uncle that was Army Air Corps, and spent time in a a POW camp.  He did tell his story in his later years, but I was never able to hear it personally.  

All good thoughts Ed, on this Christmas Eve.  

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

I can’t curse in French without thinking of him..........😎

Reminds me of my uncle Bill. He was a sailor and former Coast Guard. He could weave a story like a fine tapestry with plenty of colorful language woven in like golden threads. I remember well a family camping trip and Bill regailing our young boys with tales by the campfire well into the night. (I believe the story of the drunk taking a leak on the boiler of a steam calliope played into somewhere. The next day the boys asked if uncle Bill really was thier uncle. When I afirmed that it was a fact. They both jumped up and yelled "Yes! That's so cool!" 

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Thanks you everyone for all the kind words......most of us here knew many WWII vets and all were whiteness to the insanity of the times........many never could be normal again. Uncle Al went back to the horror of the old days near the end.........to depressing and distracting to explain. The horrors that show no scars came back......his visible scars on his body couldn’t be hidden.........he made his way past them the best he could. The new obscenity is round X of Covid that will rob him of his proper funeral and his chosen resting place in the memorial graveyard in the Pacific......... it’s impossible to lay him to rest in the Punch Bowl on Hawaii overlooking Pearl, so he will go to our local veterans cemetery in Massachuetts............another insult to a man who deserves absolutely none. Knowing Al he wouldn’t complain. May he Rest In Peace......

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Deepest condolences to your family, he sounds like a true friend and hero!

It’s sad that we have mostly lost that entire generation of men, and sadder  yet as few would have said much about their sacrifices because they “just” did what was needed at the time. Their personal demons were their burden and I pray he’s in a much better place.

• Like 1

I'm sorry for your loss. The experiences and knowledge lost when a person of that generation passes can never be replaced. The best tribute you can make to him is to speak of him often and cherish the times you spent together.  

• Like 1

Ed, 

thank you for the heart felt words remembering your uncle. I worked in Hawaii  in the late 60's and early 70's I often visited the punch bowl. I was just a young man then but most interested in WW2 history.

I met a retired   Naval officer on several occations . He was most interesting and shared his knowledge and insite of those war years. He still had some pull and took me on the actual military tour of the Arizona. All the time recounting that horrible day. I will never forget him and his interest in sharing his hands on expierences.

The men and women of that generation were truly the greatest generation of which we will never see again. I offer my condolences of your loss. Brasscarguy

1929 Cadillac dual cowl Phaeton

1941 Cadillac convertible sedan

Uncle Al took me on the same private tour you received. Everyone at Pearl and Hickam seemed to know him and without doubt we received special access to many of the spots where you could clearly see evidence of the attack thirty five years earlier. Sadly today much is being altered at Pearl......it no longer looks like it did. It’s more of a place with track housing and the like. It no longer resembles any like it did during and post war. In just a few more years it will be unrecognizable. Before you know it, only the Arizona will be left as a remembrance of that terrible day. It’s already much more like Disney Land than a war memorial. 

• Like 1

Hi, Ed...  My sincere condolences to you and your family and all of your uncle's friends.  I'm sure Al is at peace and will be watching down on you from above.  Greg

The last WWII veteran I knew personally died back in 2004 at age 85. He didn't seem to want to talk much about his experience, but would a little when I asked him about it. He said about half his fellow soldiers lost in a battle in the Pacific, so he saw a lot of death right around him. He never mentioned he got a medal. I read it in his obituary. First action he saw was Aleutian Islands. I seem to remember reading somewhere there were several friendly fire casualties due to the weather and poor visibility.

"He joined the Army, participating in the Pacific Theater during World War II. He was in the 7th Division, 48th Field Artillery. During the Battle of Attu he dove into frozen water to save a fellow soldier for which he was awarded the Bronze Star. "

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

We are all in awe of them, the "Greatest Generation" !

For 50 years I have attended Hershey with my wonderful Christian friend, who is now 99 and planning to attend with our group in '22.

He will be 100 on Feb 13, 2022.

He was just awarded the Honor Medal for service in Europe.

All of them are responsible for our freedom.

God Blessed America thru them.

Edited by Hans1
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 2