Interesting afternoon.......drove two modern cars......

edinmass

Interesting day today. My local car club is mostly modern super car stuff. A few of the guys thought I should drive a car 100 years newer than my White. So, they gave me a McLaren 720S and a LaFerrari both from 2017. Never driven anything that can compare to them. There is no basis of any car I have driven that can even come close. Between the two of them.........I’ll take the Ferrari, although they were both fantastic. Maybe I need to upgrade my every day cars.....they range from 1996 to 2005. (Chevy and Ford)  Someone needs to loan me some money to buy a newer GTO car. The mileage on the McLaren was 17.9 averaging 117 mph over forty one miles.......impressive!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Interesting is better MPG than I get from the CTS. Have driven a few cars it took a conscious effort to put the pedal to the metal (particularly in a sweeping S) but today 200-300 hp is "enough", if need to be more antisocial is always the Judge (and built the suspension to be competitive in autocross).

The only Ferrari I've ever been interested in was a 275 GTS, maybe why I like the FIAT 124 Spyder.

54 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Maybe I need to upgrade my every day cars.....they range from 1996 to 2005. (Chevy and Ford)  

Don’t do it. Periodically tell them “I forget how it feels to drive your Ferrari “. Keep doing that until they figure it out and won’t flip you the keys anymore. 

• Haha 4

So, it sounds like it’s better to have a good friend with a Ferrari, rather than have a Ferrari and friends?

When I lived in Louisiana I had a good friend with a Duesenberg (along with about 50 other Full Classics).  Next best thing to owning one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

One particular challenge with supercars:  "Can you get in/out while still looking cool?"

If you need an assistant to grab your arms and pull you out (not cool), then stick with the White.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Akstraw said:

One particular challenge with supercars:  "Can you get in/out while still looking cool?"

If you need an assistant to grab your arms and pull you out (not cool), then stick with the White.

I have a very hard time getting out of my old 1995 Corvette or in and out of the 2002 T-Bird, so I'm sure I would look like a total ass trying to get out of a LaFerrari!

• Like 1

Although I can appreciate all cars ( almost, or try to make an attempt to) post war sports cars  never appealed to me to much. I like to climb on to or off of a vehicle with a seat that is not to far below hip level; not down into or up and out of. That being said I do get nervous when in a car I can look over and my eye level is even with the hubcap center of a large multi ton giant truck next to me that then has the rest of it about 5 feet above the top of my head. Going fast in a car can be a thrill, but those times I have it was in a type 35 Mercer , chain drive Simplex, or a 4 1/2 litre Bentley. There is just something about going fast in a car that was made 30+ years before I was born and doesn't have brakes that stop to well by today's standards and somewhat narrow tires.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

A Pierce-Arrow owner once told me "If you sit in the driver seat, reach forward, and touch the windshield the car is too small". I'm still gauging cars that way.

He must have had very short arms....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trimacar said:

So, it sounds like it’s better to have a good friend with a Ferrari, rather than have a Ferrari and friends?

When I lived in Louisiana I had a good friend with a Duesenberg (along with about 50 other Full Classics).  Next best thing to owning one!

Well, that Louisiana experience surely was not a function of this friend !

While I always relished my 1960s sports car days, including the 1952 Jag XK-120MC,

and my 1970s time with our Maserati-4 overhead cam-engined 5-speed stick 1971 Citroen SM (later enjoyed and owned by trimacar),

I have to admit that it is a bit more difficult exiting and entering our 1988 C-4 Corvette convertible as my age continues unrelenting (which of course beats the alternative)!

Driving a slower car fast,

is more fun than driving a fast car slowly !

"Running the wheels off" of the 1958 Small-mouth TR-3 and 1959 Alfa-Romeo Giulietta Spider Veloce in the Watchung Mountains of NJ, or the backroads of the Catskills' Sullivan and Ulster Counties was great preparation for Monmouth College sports car club field trials and subsequent SCCA competition!

It is entirely unlikely that I'll get anywhere close to the handling limits of our '88 'Vette - a semblance of good sense prevailing !

2 hours ago, Cadillac Fan said:

2017 laferrari is the aperta (convertible).  Major major league.  

Not just a Ferrari, The Ferrari.  

Yes, they charge more than most Duesenbergs for those things. It’s hard to get in and out of. I got my photo taken at the restaurant when we parked in the reserved area for the super cars.........neat car but way too low on ground clearance.

• Like 1

I had a dose of reality last summer. I always thought I'd like to own a BMW Z3. A local corner car lot had a 2000 Z3M roadster with only 23000 miles on it. Silver with black leather. I tried it on for size one day shortly after throwing my back out (again). It was not a pretty sight. The car ended up in Japan.

14 hours ago, edinmass said:

Maybe I need to upgrade my every day cars...

You could be like Tyler Hoover, who is always buying,

fixing, commenting on, and selling such cars for his

Youtube videos of "Hoovie's Garage."  His experiences

are interesting.

Such cars have very little appeal to me.  I don't

appreciate the angular outlines and deformities of

their styling.  Such foreign sports cars looked quite

beautiful in the 1950's, however.

I'd rather have an easy-to-drive and easy-to-repair

1977 Buick Century, for example, than any "super" car,

despite the disparity in price!

To further differentiate the '76-'77 Century coupe, Buick took a page out  of the Olds Cutlass 'S' marketing book and slanted the nose… | Buick century,  Buick, Coupe

• Like 1

I had many Avis Centurys. That and an Alero were my preference. Though once had to take a Hyundai when on a wintery Denver day Avis could not find a GM car with ABS.

I have never really bought an old car unless it was someone's abandoned project that I got to flip. My collector cars have been nicely maintained 15 to 20 year old cars and I just aged along with them. The '56 year old Buick Riviera was 15 years old when I bought it, owned 42 years in a couple of months. The oldest car I ever bought was my '60 Electra, 40 years old when I bought it. And I actually purchased that sight unseen to strip out for parts.

Major projects I have owned for 3 or 4 years, studied, learned intimately, got distracted, and replaced with another 15 year old. I am a long time owner but, for purchasing, I like the clean, well maintained 15 to 20 year old.

The "real" collector car mavins have always given me the impression I didn't get it. But I have noticed I am generally of better humor than they.

Even if I could afford it (which seems unlikely at this point...) I'm not sure I'd ever go for that sort of vehicle where you can't park it anywhere - my daily has more than enough power for driving on the road and being a white wagon nobody gives it a second thought

19 hours ago, edinmass said:

The mileage on the McLaren was 17.9 averaging 117 mph over forty one miles.......impressive!

Yes, but how much were your speeding tickets? That has to be factored into mileage costs, too! 😄

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Yes, but how much were your speeding tickets? That has to be factored into mileage costs, too! 😄

Can’t get a ticket if they can’t catch you!

• Haha 1

Soumds like punks on Crotch Rockets.  When I'm driving at 70 MPH in a 65 Zone and some idiot goes by me at 117 MPH

I feel endangered.    Crotch Rocket, McClaren or Homda Accord, I'm routing for the Cops.

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)

Radio travels pretty fast! (LOL) Last high speed chase up here the Border Patrol took them out with a nail strip followed by a bean bag round to the side of the head fired through the window.

I have video, but posting it would subject me to all sorts of problems.............😝

On 5/9/2021 at 8:20 AM, Marty Roth said:

Driving a slower car fast,

is more fun than driving a fast car slowly !

That is why I have always really enjoyed the model T speedsters I have had (wish I still had one of them now!). It doesn't take a lot of money, or really expensive equipment or fancy machine work to get a good reliable (and authentically built era correct!) speedster capable of sustained 70mph! Very little body, no fenders, no windshield, and 70 on a winding country road for a couple hours! Makes 80 in a modern car feel like moseying down a country lane on a bicycle.

• Like 1