Photos of ADVERTIZING TIRE COVERS

1937hd45

I've had this photo of the girl with a Roadster and tire cover for years, and always note tire covers in vintage photos. The Gilmore was just pulled from a Google search, first time I've ever seen it. The car is a 1926-27 Ford, that was customized at the time. Funny how I remember cars, it was in a Harrah auction years ago, I'll go through the catalogs and post the photo when I find it. Please add your tire cover photos. Bob

DSCF6276.JPG

gilmorebook5-2208.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

I like this one, which is From a heavily reproduced Picture on eBay... if there was an easy and cost effective way to make one for my car I think it would be great!

The terms "easy" and "cost effective" rarely apply to the old car hobby:lol:; however, I think you've hit upon a great idea.  What with computer scanning of electronic images (photos etc.) and computerized printing processes, I think that these old spare tire covers could be reproduced in a "cost effective":o way.  I'm not sure of how one would navigate the rocks and shoals of copyright considerations for companies long out of business.  My limited understanding of the situation is that copyrights can survive (on logos, advertising etc.) long after the company itself is gone; however,  I think that one or two reproductions could be made without any copyright lawyers noticing.  I'm not a lawyer, but I'll bet there are several on this site whose advice would be far superior to any I could ever offer.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I was looking for some info of an old friend and came across this photo.  I thought you guys might like it.  I looked online but couldn't find any other images of a 7up tire cover, or any other information about it.  If anybody knows anything about it or the car, I would be fascinated to hear about it.  I know this man was born in ~1920, so this would be at least in the 40's or 50's, but that's pretty much it.

All the best,

Timothy

7up Tire Cover - Full.jpg

• Like 2

I do not have a picture of one but I know that early Rickenbackers had rear, spare tire covers that said, "4 Wheel Brakes" and had the Hat in the Ring logo on them.

This is the only vintage picture I could find with a Rickenbacker logo on it.

rickandgirl.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 8:27 AM, capngrog said:

The terms "easy" and "cost effective" rarely apply to the old car hobby:lol:; however, I think you've hit upon a great idea.  What with computer scanning of electronic images (photos etc.) and computerized printing processes, I think that these old spare tire covers could be reproduced in a "cost effective":o way.  I'm not sure of how one would navigate the rocks and shoals of copyright considerations for companies long out of business.  My limited understanding of the situation is that copyrights can survive (on logos, advertising etc.) long after the company itself is gone; however,  I think that one or two reproductions could be made without any copyright lawyers noticing.  I'm not a lawyer, but I'll bet there are several on this site whose advice would be far superior to any I could ever offer.

Cheers,

Grog

It is easy to buy a project car, and cost effective not to.🤔

On 4/19/2020 at 10:20 AM, Dave Henderson said:

Another fabric accessory often seen hanging on front bumpers while traveling in the day.  This example does not appear to be a period item but rather of more recent origin.

MVC-013S.JPG

I'll bet that's older than you might think. It has a cork on a string for a stopper. Probably not 1920s like all these tire covers though.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

20 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Maybe this looks better.

674617515_Airflowmap.jpg.8149b5c85f5639f60eee3aee1927918b.jpg

Thanks Larry.   I don't know how that happened an I couldn't turn it over either.   Ted Holden had it repainted every year for 13           years.  That Airflow retired after a broken axle in 1996.   After which we came back in 2001 as tourists, then the car ran the

Peking to Paris Rally, and finished 3rd in the old car group.   In the GAR it was the  "Endurance Champion".

He was the Palm Beach oddball until Ed Minnie came, after Ted died.   Ted was on TV down there all the time with his cars.

He had a 34 Brewster, a 15 Packard, a Isetta, a Army tank with a El Camino on top, a Amphacar, a Covair Ultra Van, a Monster

Truck, a 37 Hudson, a 17 Milburn EV,  a 62 Mecury Tunpike Cruiser, this 35 Chrysler Airflow and a few others I've forgotten     

all while I knew him. (1983-2005)

Rear left of the picture is me in the black baseball cap.   (We had a box in the back seat and all the baseball caps we got as     

souviners went in there until we got down the road a State or 2 and we'd give then to kids,  Was a big hit.)

• Like 1