Can you take an antique car out for a drive in California these days?

1935Packard

Probably not.  From a recent news story about the new statewide "stay at home" order: 

Newsom’s order could be interpreted as very strict, Lemley said, as the wording did not provide an explicit exception for outdoor exercise, as some local health orders had done. Newsom, though, has given more leeway in his public comments, saying, “You can still walk your dog.”

Luxury sports cars, though, may not make the cut. A club for Lamborghini owners decided to scrap its plan for a Saturday morning drive in Northern California wine country. “With today’s statewide announcement regarding the shelter in place mandates, we have heard that the CHP would hassle us if we proceed,” the organizers wrote Friday on the club’s Facebook event page, referring to the California Highway Patrol. They said they would aim for a date in April, instead, to “start the driving season.”

I am going to the coast. The normal $7 fee for parking at Doran Beach and other places is waived.

Public advisory on the status of Sonoma County Regional Parks
Published on March 17, 2020
Regional Parks on March 18, 2020 is suspending all non-essential services in compliance with County of Sonoma health guidelines to prevent the community spread of the novel coronavirus (Covid-19). This status is in effect through April 7, 2020 or until extended, rescinded, superseded or amended.

All parks, trails and beaches remain open so the community can engage in self-directed outdoor exercise (hiking, walking, biking) while following social distancing and personal hygiene guidelines. Parking fees are waived until further notice.

I saw a high school aged teen not long ago with a shirt that said the "Communist Republic of California". Made me stop and think a bit. Maybe not far from the truth with this pandemic stopping you from driving your cherished antique auto.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Its a fine line.  Clearly defined limits and the why goes a long way.  Our CT governor announced essentially the same rules yesterday, but instead of being factual and clear, he beat around the bush, tried to be cute and of course threw in partisan shots at the Fed.  Most of us would prefer specifics. 

Not sure how a drive puts anyone at risk but it is an interesting question, 35Pack!  It shouldn't be though.  At the very least everyone under restrictions should be able to get answers via simple web portal.  I think a lot of it will be personal judgment but the concern is, does CHP have clear direction on this?  Or do they just do what they think they should be doing?  Likely best to stay home. 

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Go ahead and drive. What they are trying to stop is social gatherings where people might pass an infection around. If you want to go someplace what's the diff how old the car is? Do your shopping, or just go out and enjoy the breeze.  If you get a ticket it would make an interesting court case if all they have on you is they don't like the age of your car.

• Like 4

Yesterday I took three cars out to get their annual New York State inspection. I was complying to a New York State regulation. And I had to bring all the fluids up to operating temperature to drive off any condensed water vapor.

Besides. they have been pointing their finger at my tailpipe telling me my exhaust depletes the ozone layer. I'm pretty sure UV rays will kill a virus and Spring is here.

Huh, more sun, more UV. Maybe there is a connection with that term "cold and flu season".

Nah, only Orson Welles would think like that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driving an individual car would be fine but the state may frown on a large group heading out.

I've been driving back and forth to work and to a few stores and there has been no issues.

Traffic has been fantastic with much fewer people on the road so it should be a great time to get one of the old gals out and take them for a ride.

• Like 1

While not quite an “antique”, weather permitting, I’m hoping to take a +/-50 year old Italian “lady” out tomorrow and presumably with a lot less traffic around, perhaps even get a chance to stretch her legs once or twice at 140+.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

I saw a high school aged teen not long ago with a shirt that said the "Communist Republic of California". Made me stop and think a bit. Maybe not far from the truth with this pandemic stopping you from driving your cherished antique auto.  

We have a similar shirt in Arizona except it has a outline of state of California in red with the hammer and sickle and says " Don't let this happen to our state"

• Like 2

I’m not concerned with the law pulling a single car over, my concern are some of the crazy people speeding around even more so now that there is no traffic. Also as this goes on some may become desperate and try to do insurance scams and we are targets in our old cars. 

• Like 1

AJ...you don't look or act like a day over 90! Big Al looks good.....it was fun to have him and your mom down here the other day. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Pfeil said:

We have a similar shirt in Arizona except it has a outline of state of California in red with the hammer and sickle and says " Don't let this happen to our state"

Nowadays I just tell people "I live in the desert, west of Arizona". :lol:

We live at ground zero in the Seattle area. I have been having the floor refinished on a hundred fifteen yo house that I have owned for forty six years in West Seattle. That and the fact that I needed to cut the grass, I decided to make the thirty five mile trip from the foothills where I live. The weather was beautiful, low 60's and was feeling a little guilty for being out, but I decided to drive around Alki Beach, wondering what I would find. If I had any preconceived notions of what the beach would be like, they went out the window quickly. Kids may not be in school, but I found out where many of them were. Social distancing, what a joke! A few miles away the parking lot at Lincoln park was full to capacity. If this is the way jawboning is supposed to work, but doesn't, we are all in trouble!

Bill

• Like 1

mike6024 has a great idea for us Californios and others under lockdown/"house arrest":  Drive your vintage iron to and from a PARK!  There's not a mileage-from-home limit.  Be sure to pick up a brochure at the park as supporting evidence for your return trip.   I'll wear my hiking boots for that purpose as well....

That said, I'm north of 70 so am supposed to remain home except for exercise and purchasing essentials.  Until there are a LOT of tests available, covid-19 "hotspot" areas will be determined only by hospitalizations.  Hotspot areas can/should be locked down to minimize transmission of the virus, but the flip side is that non-hotspots should be less regulated.

Beautiful sunny Spring day with UV rays pouring from the sky. We took a ride along the Lake Ontario State Parkway today. The parking areas at Hamlin Beach State Park had an impressive number of cars. Many people out walking and well spaced.

Blue water all the way to Canada.

006.thumb.JPG.30864e4b41555fe6fa8783793165588b.JPG

005.thumb.JPG.65fec526fb6f34dd9e0a8c8313f5f594.JPG

Somewhere in the city Jimmy and Lois were hiding under Clark's desk. And he was interviewing other reporters for tonight's news. He's ready.

Image result for mild mannered reporter

• Like 3

Took the big quint out for a 30 mile jaunt today and to get some fresh fuel.  The 8v71 sounded beautiful and the Allison shifted as smooth as you can get with a 30k lb beast. 

As thanks, he burped about half a gallon of diesel on my coat sleeve.  Dang it, that wasn't a work coat!! 

Brutus.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CarFreak said:

Took the big quint out for a 30 mile jaunt today and to get some fresh fuel.  The 8v71 sounded beautiful and the Allison shifted as smooth as you can get with a 30k lb beast. 

As thanks, he burped about half a gallon of diesel on my coat sleeve.  Dang it, that wasn't a work coat!! 

Brutus.JPG

Oh, I hate when that burp thing happens. Those old 2 cycle Detroit's really hum. Dandy Dave! 

The hospitals will be overtaxed in December. The maternity wards will be overflowing if this self-quarantining goes on much longer.

I have also been watching the location of cases on the US map. There is a suspicious lack of the virus along the 37th parallel, traditionally the highest area of UFO sightings. Could it be a "protected zone"?

On 3/21/2020 at 9:24 AM, TTR said:

While not quite an “antique”, weather permitting, I’m hoping to take a +/-50 year old Italian “lady” out tomorrow and presumably with a lot less traffic around, perhaps even get a chance to stretch her legs once or twice at 140+.

While the weather this am proved excellent for vintage driving, I didn’t get a chance to exercise the aforementioned “Italian lady” due to unexpected request to go inspect another 64 years old vintage (parts) car for client, so decided to take the opportunity and enjoy my 88 years old roadster instead on this +/-40 mile round trip with very light traffic.
Passed a few mobile LEOs along the way, some locals, one State Trooper. Formers didn’t seem to pay much, if any, attention to me or my ride, but latter cruised along (at 70 MPH) for awhile and showed me 👍

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TTR said:

While the weather this am proved excellent for vintage driving, I didn’t get a chance to exercise the aforementioned “Italian lady” due to unexpected request to go inspect another 64 years old vintage (parts) car for client, so decided to take the opportunity and enjoy my 88 years old roadster instead on this +/-40 mile round trip with very light traffic.
Passed a few mobile LEOs along the way, some locals, one State Trooper. Formers didn’t seem to pay much, if any, attention to me or my ride, but latter cruised along (at 70 MPH) for awhile and showed me 👍

With current forecast now turning to less than ideal (for SoCal), I may have to wait a few days or a week to get to those 140+ test drive exercises... 😒

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

Just out of curiosity,  what is the cost of gas in CA right now? 

Terry

It's a bargain right now.

Cheapest I've seen is $2.59 for regular.

Calif has around 73 cents per gallon of taxes on a gallon of gas so it's always one of the states with the highest gas prices.