Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

7 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

One for the Packard experts. I guess a post WW2 photo.

Odd it only looks to have three vent doors on the hood. Info on the participants on the back of the photo.

Is that an early historical plate?

old photos Packard Bruce Peterson.jpg

old photos Packard Bruce Peterson back.jpg

Usually the juniors had louvers in the hood, but I found a few pictures of some 733's that had hoods with 3 doors.  The Seniors had 4 doors on the hood.     John

7 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

May be an image of 2 people, people standing and outdoors

DSC06891-scaled.jpg

Looks a lot like this 1903 Pope-Hartford that is or was for sale recently. 

Bob 

On the facebook page someone said they thought it might be a Pope-Hartford but then realised there were differences.

I think out mystery car is bigger and heavier than the red P-H. Note the front suspension for one thing.

The original was quoted as being 15 hp.

16 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

One for the Packard experts. I guess a post WW2 photo.

Odd it only looks to have three vent doors on the hood. Info on the participants on the back of the photo.

Is that an early historical plate?

old photos Packard Bruce Peterson.jpg

old photos Packard Bruce Peterson back.jpg

I think it is a 1930 733 Standard Eight factory bodied dual cowl phaeton.  Three door hoods were a factory accessory for the 726/733 Packards.

Capt. Harley😉

• Like 3

Capt. Harley is totally correct about the 3 door hood being a factory accessory for the 7th series 733 and 726. I own a 733 as you can see from the photo in my ID box, acquired a 3 door hood but then the stock louvered hood grew on me styling wise so although I have the optional hood it shifted to the "gonna happen some day" department.

9 hours ago, nickelroadster said:

I would not expect his cruising speed while towing to be very fast!

In those days, off roading and camping was about the same thing. What cruising speed? You didn't need speed on dirt roads and woods trails. Now a days we have 4 lane roads right up to our camp site.

23 hours ago, Walt G said:

Capt. Harley is totally correct about the 3 door hood being a factory accessory for the 7th series 733 and 726. I own a 733 as you can see from the photo in my ID box, acquired a 3 door hood but then the stock louvered hood grew on me styling wise so although I have the optional hood it shifted to the "gonna happen some day" department.

On the subject of 733s this one, as far as I know the only one of these sold new in NZ, was restored in the 1960s and still looks as good today as it did then. The owner passed away a few weeks ago at the age of 84.

I think he built most of the body from scratch as the car had become a wrecker in its later life. The 733 was later fitted with an 'agricultural' overdrive unit which was quite noisy when engaged but that didn't bother the owner as he was partially deaf.

The first photo was taken at a local parade in March 1973, and the other one in January 2020. I drove the car for a magazine article some years ago. My main memory is of the brake pedal going up and down with the front suspension movement. The same owner also restored a third series Twin Six, which was a faster car than the 733, which was quite leisurely.

73 3 March Vic st cars 16301_large.jpg

30 DH5053 733 TC Little River 010120 Andrew Rusbatch photo fb.jpg

• Like 2

My 733 is comfortable at 55-60 mph , but most at 50 mph. No issue about the brake pedal jumping about due to the front suspension. The cable brakes work very very well if sorted out and adjusted by someone who knows what they are doing . I had mine sorted by a friend who has a restoration shop in western  Connecticut and wow does it stop well! - that is an understatement .

• Like 1

This photo is labeled 1907 American; not sure where it came from.  It possibly was posted on this site hundreds of pages ago.  My photo files have twenty brands of cars with American in the name but none of them look like the car in this photo.  The car fits the description of being a high wheeler but that is no help to identify the builder.

1907 American.jpg

• Like 1

I have had no timeto be on here but could not resist this gem uncover from the Philadelphia Library goodies now owned by  us.  This picture was filthy and is very, very cool although the caption says cycle car race in 1911 and most of the cars do not seem to fit a typical cycle car to me.  Picture is waaaaay cool though.  Swanson, I bet you are drooling!

1914 race.jpg

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Here's a better look:

The date reads "July 4-5, 1914

1911 Cycle-Car race.jpg

#5 on the right might be the Marr cyclecar. 

The two cars with exposed engines next to the Marr might have Spacke V twin engines in them. I have seen mention of them elsewhere but don't know much about them.

The next one - on our left of the exposed engine cars looks as if it might be a Peugeot Bebe.

To the left of that one maybe a McIntyre?

Next left from that looks to be more a Ford T size car, though it has conventional front suspension.

The car two to the right of the Coey looks to be an early Morgan - by the sliding pillar front suspension.

The car between that and the Coey kind of looks like a miniature Stutz Bearcat and I am sure someone will recognise it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

The car between that and the Coey kind of looks like a miniature Stutz Bearcat and I am sure someone will recognise it.

It is a Metz! It appears to have wire wheels, which were an option on Metz for many of their years. One specific model, in 1914, the wire wheels were the standard feature. That particular car was called "Speedster" by Metz factory and advertising. And the car in this photo very much looks like the 1914 Metz Speedster, a standard factory offered car.

The engine is similar to a model T Ford, same bore and stroke, slightly higher compression. The rest of the car is slightly smaller than a model T.

Metz was not generally considered a cyclecar, however, I have seen them included on a couple cyclecar lists.

Interesting to see a motor car being loaded into a train car via a rear door. Most cars transported by train were loaded from platforms and came in and out via a side door. This was the way the majority of cars produced in large quantities arrived in cities that were distant from the automobile factory. Cars were strapped ( chained?) down to the railroad car floor so not to bounce around and shift weight and thus destroy or damage fenders, bumpers etc. Most of the new cars arriving in NY City came in by freight /box cars on trains arriving on the west side of Manhattan in the active rail yards that once stood there.

There were well publicized massive "drive-aways" from factories to cities for delivery that were perhaps up to 150 mile radius of the factory location. I have photographs of Chevrolet and Franklins at mass drive-aways pre WWII.

Info on the cars in the "First Annual International Cycle Car race" I posted above.  The cars are supposed to be:3 Twomblys, 2 Saginaws, 2 Vixens, Princess, Coey, Detroit, Morgan, Downing, Bebe Puegeot, Mercury, Malcolm, and Zip.  I am amazed at all you super astute guys that you did not at least instantly recognize the Malcolm! :) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HK500 said:

Here's a 1930 Buick loading on a railcar. Check out the outfits on the two ladies, and think about how much easier it is to ship a car cross country now!

1930BuickonTrain_000028.jpg

That 1930 Buick is a 1929 model. I think it is a Series 121 Model 47.

• Like 1

The Ira Vail driven 1919 HUDSON Indy 500 car being loaded for a race somewhere. He later sold it to H.D. Carpenter of Philadelphia, that may be him along side the car in the third photo. The car was found on a used car lot in 1948. Cameron Peck bought it, it was later in the Lindley Bothwell collection, then Bill Harrah had it. Tom Barrett restored it and it is now in South Korea in the Samsung collection. Sure would be nice to see it come home.

Bob 

1917-HUDSON-racer-arcd06921-Philly-Free-Library-sm.jpg

OIP (1).jpg

OIP (2).jpg

OIP.jpg

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Great photo, thank you for post it.  I focused on the car's wheel.  It does not appear to be a wooden wheel, IMHO.  Do you happened to know if it is a wheel made from two pressed steel spoke patterns, welded together to resemble a wooden wheel?

Alvis automobile 01-02.jpg

Alvis automobile  02-02 wheel.jpg

1 hour ago, LCK81403 said:

Great photo, thank you for post it.  I focused on the car's wheel.  It does not appear to be a wooden wheel, IMHO.  Do you happened to know if it is a wheel made from two pressed steel spoke patterns, welded together to resemble a wooden wheel?

Alvis automobile 01-02.jpg

Alvis automobile  02-02 wheel.jpg

Those are Sankey pressed steel wheels.  Very common on British cars at that time.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

I should recognise the one. I think we have seen something similar here recently, but it hasn't come to me yet.

Photo supposedly Michigan 1914.

May be an image of outdoors

Not for certain. But it looks a lot like a Scripps-Booth that collector Harvey Harper had in Eureka California about fifteen years ago. His I think was a small touring type body style whereas this looks like a roadster. The radiator and gasoline fill in the cowl look about the same. Also the wire wheels. Scripps-Booth had an interesting history. Born to some wealth, his automotive endeavors were not generally profitable, however he built several really interesting and even unique vehicles. They ranged from small to large, and even bizarre. One series of automobiles had one of the smallest V-8s of the 1910s. His automotive companies were eventually sold to General Motors (if I recall correctly?) and after only a couple more years the facilities were rolled into other GM marques. (All off the top of my head?)

3 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Not for certain. But it looks a lot like a Scripps-Booth that collector Harvey Harper had in Eureka California about fifteen years ago. His I think was a small touring type body style whereas this looks like a roadster. The radiator and gasoline fill in the cowl look about the same. Also the wire wheels. Scripps-Booth had an interesting history. Born to some wealth, his automotive endeavors were not generally profitable, however he built several really interesting and even unique vehicles. They ranged from small to large, and even bizarre. One series of automobiles had one of the smallest V-8s of the 1910s. His automotive companies were eventually sold to General Motors (if I recall correctly?) and after only a couple more years the facilities were rolled into other GM marques. (All off the top of my head?)

There was a suggestion on the facebook page the photo came form that it might be a Car-Nation.

1 hour ago, nzcarnerd said:

And apparently the car is a Jowett. I did think it a little small to be an Alvis.

That's it!  I had been thinking Clyno.  Considering that Jowetts of the day had a horizontally opposed 2 cylinder engine, there is a lot of empty space under that high engine hood.