Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

10 hours ago, twin6 said:

Several Locomobile steamers?

I was wondering that myself. There were a number of imitators of the Stanley/Locomobile design, with subtle differences. So it can be hard to tell. I really like the car behind the Orient Auto-go Fore car, the one half in the building. I don't know what it is either.

Wonderful photo!

14 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I was wondering that myself. There were a number of imitators of the Stanley/Locomobile design, with subtle differences. So it can be hard to tell. I really like the car behind the Orient Auto-go Fore car, the one half in the building. I don't know what it is either.

Wonderful photo!

I think the car at the far end of those outside is the same as the one in the doorway as well.

Another early mystery vehicle posted on a facebook page.

The truck could be from anywhere - USA, Britain or Europe. Hard to say.

"Braidwood Brass Band, on Garnet Madrell's truck, 1914.   Braidwood is a town in the Southern Tablelands of New South Wales, Australia, in Queanbeyan–Palerang Regional Council. It is located on the Kings Highway linking Canberra with Batemans Bay. It is approximately 200 kilometres south west of Sydney, 60 kilometres inland from the coast, and fifty-five from Canberra."

java stephens hands from peter Latts.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

auburn.jpg

In 1935, The Auburn Auto painted four of their cars white and toured them around the country, promoting the company. These  dapper young men have stopped at Landy's Clothing store on Main St. in Auburn, Indiana to get outfitted for the tour and are posing with one of the cars.  Sadly the company was struggling and closed two years later.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The first of these photos, taken in Courtney Place, Wellington, New Zealand about 1939 turned up on a facebook page. It was printed in the local paper The Dominion in 2011 in black and white and the poster colourised it.

The second photo appeared around the same time and I realised that the two were taken only a very short time apart. The photographer was obviously standing on a shop verandah and followed the progress of the mystery European sedan - which so far has eluded being identified.

Old Wgtn Sean Drader colourised photo Courtney Pl Wgtn.jpg

Courtenay Place, Wellington, ca. 1939.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you for posting the photo of the Auburn White Caravan.  This is a really nice snippet of history.  Is there information regarding the use of large speaker mounted on the roof of the car?  The headlight body appears to be chrome plated whereas one would expect it to be painted.  It also appears that the front and rear doors may be out of adjustment.  With the photo enlarged on the computer's screen, the front door appears to have a rather larger amount of separation from the roof panel than does the rear door.

35 Auburn White Caravan Tour.jpg

35 Auburn White Caravan Tour - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

oec1.jpg

Bombardier George Nix of the Bengal Rocket Troop, Royal Artillery poses at Quetta, India in 1929 with a machine sent over by the Osborne Engineering Company for assessment. Apparently the inline two wheel drive device worked well- and note the Duplex steering front end- but was eventually sent back and never heard from again. The machine illustrates nicely the nickname of the company, Odd Engineering Contraptions. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Thank you for posting the photo of the Auburn White Caravan.  This is a really nice snippet of history.  Is there information regarding the use of large speaker mounted on the roof of the car?  The headlight body appears to be chrome plated whereas one would expect it to be painted.  It also appears that the front and rear doors may be out of adjustment.  With the photo enlarged on the computer's screen, the front door appears to have a rather larger amount of separation from the roof panel than does the rear door.

35 Auburn White Caravan Tour.jpg

35 Auburn White Caravan Tour - Copy.jpg

Having never heard of the White Auburns before I posted what information there was with the picture.

20 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

The first of these photos, taken in Courtney Place, Wellington, New Zealand about 1939 turned up on a facebook page. It was printed in the local paper The Dominion in 2011 in black and white and the poster colourised it.

The second photo appeared around the same time and I realised that the two were taken only a very short time apart. The photographer was obviously standing on a shop verandah and followed the progress of the mystery European sedan - which so far has eluded being identified.

Old Wgtn Sean Drader colourised photo Courtney Pl Wgtn.jpg

Courtenay Place, Wellington, ca. 1939.jpg

Excellent photos. The sedan at the front is a 4 cylinder Morris-Leon Bollee. A few of these ended up in Australia, and there must have been a few go to NZ as well.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 11:16 AM, J. Hawkins said:

The happy owner of the new Duesenberg. Holbrook limousine, one of two produced.

mm_04_at_the_end_of_1928_duesenberg_introduced_its8230_1162x937_wallpaper_Wallpaper_1280x1024_www_wall321_com.jpg

Like the Colt 45 that made everyone equal, or so they thought. The car that made the little man big! Providing , of course, he had a big wallet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 7/28/2021 at 4:13 PM, LCK81403 said:

It would be interesting to learn how a Cord in Indiana State Police colors would fair at a judging event.

Cord Police.jpg

Would think the police officer was quite proud of his lovely automobile , but can’t say I like the very Germanic SS appearance of uniform and pose. Scary 

41 minutes ago, Fossil said:

Other wise known as Napoleon syndrome. Beautiful car though. 

I hope you are not implying that short men like me should not own large autos.....

A height test to qualify to own Duesenbergs????

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

It depends how short!!

Craig

On the other hand, tall people as drivers are discriminated against in most cars with division glass which normally have non-adjustable front seats.  I owned for 42 years a 1939 Cadillac 75 7-passenger sedan (jump seats, no division glass, but adjustable front seat) which *should* have been a model 7523 (which has non-adjustable front seat, seatback even with the B pillar) but was marked as a 7519 (5-p sedan) with adjustable front seat, seatback 3 inches to the rear of the B pillar.  Finally found the build sheet which indicated it was a special order, although there was no "SO" marking on the body tag.  I suspect that the first owner was a tall person with a large but young family, and that the kids didn't need the extra 3 inches of jump seat legroom.

Edited by Grimy
added 2 words (see edit history)
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Grimy said:

On the other hand, tall people as drivers are discriminated against in most cars with division glass which normally have non-adjustable front seats.  I owned for 42 years a 1939 Cadillac 75 7-passenger sedan (jump seats, no division glass, but adjustable front seat) which *should* have been a model 7523 (which has non-adjustable front seat, seatback even with the B pillar) but was marked as a 7519 (5-p sedan) with adjustable front seat, seatback 3 inches to the rear of the B pillar.  Finally found the build sheet which indicated it was a special order, although there was no "SO" marking on the body tag.  I suspect that the first owner was a tall person with a large but young family, and that the kids didn't need the extra 3 inches of jump seat legroom.

I do remember reading chauffeurs were of a uniform height at one time, hence, the front seat being non-adjustable.

Craig

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

A great idea from the pages of Popular Science, May, 1938.  The driver of the car looks like he is sleeping.

6259f85028e57e216eae93c83622454c.jpg

Back in the 19790s a local vintage car club member had a small 1920s car and a large dog so the rode on the running board in its own box. 

A quick search for more found this one - 

Running Boards: Traveling in Cars With Your Dogs in the 1930s ~ Vintage Everyday

• Like 1

I never saw running boards used as pet carriers.  The most useful purpose of a running board was a place to sit at family get togethers.  Although my grandfather used to transport large saw blades used at his saw mill on his 1931 Plymouth.  The blade sat on the running board on the passenger side and a rope secured it to the door post.

12 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

A great idea from the pages of Popular Science, May, 1938.  The driver of the car looks like he is sleeping.

6259f85028e57e216eae93c83622454c.jpg

I'm not being political for or against either party, past or present candidate but, do you remember the whole load of crap they heaped on Mitt Romney for carrying his dog in a carrier on top of his car? I couldn't imagine the grief someone might have trying to sell this contraption or something similar today. Kinda like selling heroin pills for headaches.    

Edited by hook
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Would think the police officer was quite proud of his lovely automobile , but can’t say I like the very Germanic SS appearance of uniform and pose. Scary 

Riding boots and breeches was a very commonly worn clothing ensemble before the Nazi's.  American, British, etc. armies wore them from before the first world war.

Many law enforcement motorcycle officers continued wearing them in the style pictured up into the 60's.  Riding boots and breeches (or jodhpurs) besides an equestrian

clothing style was also used as a work uniform for many types of businesses.  For some years I rode my custom Harley wearing riding breeches/boots like the bikers from the 20's and 30's and into the 40's.  That is how I got my nickname:  Captain Harley

Capt. Harley😉

PS:  If I ever get my dream car (late 20's, early 30's) Packard open car.  You better believe I'll have a custom suit with riding breeches/boots made.  To compliment the car.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Captain Harley said:

Riding boots and breeches was a very commonly worn clothing ensemble before the Nazi's.  American, British, etc. armies wore them from before the first world war.

Many law enforcement motorcycle officers continued wearing them in the style pictured up into the 60's.  Riding boots and breeches (or jodhpurs) besides an equestrian

clothing style was also used as a work uniform for many types of businesses.  For some years I rode my custom Harley wearing riding breeches/boots like the bikers from the 20's and 30's and into the 40's.  That is how I got my nickname:  Captain Harley

Capt. Harley😉

PS:  If I ever get my dream car (late 20's, early 30's) Packard open car.  You better believe I'll have a custom suit with riding breeches/boots made.  To compliment the car.

Pity the nazi ‘ s put a blight on the style , but accept your points , hope you get your dream car one day. thanks 

CaptainHarley is correct.  Older police / law enforcement uniforms were styled from military clothing.  The style of the uniforms carried with it the sense of authority.  The motorcycle officers generally wore leather for safety reasons.

Police 007 Lincoln Michigan State Police.jpg

Police 053.jpg

Police 057 Ford.jpg

Police 067 uniforms.jpg

Police 067 Ford.jpg

Police 087.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

zis.jpg

The Russian ZIS automobile company built limousines, and when they wanted to build a two seat racer in 1951, they went to the parts bin. The car rides on a 148" limousine wheelbase, was powered by a 6 litre engine developed to 192 hp but weighing 1046 lbs. As competitions were held during the day, a single headlight was considered enough. The whole car weighed 6300 lbs but was capable of 125 mph. 

In 1954 the car was redesigned, losing 33 inches in wheelbase and 1500 lbs in weight. The car featured a new primitive plastic body, though what sort of plastic is unknown.

dash2.jpg