Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 8/11/2021 at 12:51 PM, Grimy said:

I hope you are not implying that short men like me should not own large autos.....

Not at all. When I was 6'3" I drove Datsun's. That makes me a member of the "Pee Wee wannabe" syndrome. Fuel economy was the excuse I used. That and I worked at a Datsun dealer. One does wonder why people want to own large vehicles when they can't reach the pedals with seat all the way forward. Especially when the Vehicle makes the person look smaller than they are as in this photo. Looking at the this persons foot to knee length next to the spare tire I'm wondering if he is even 5' tall? 

mm_04_at_the_end_of_1928_duesenberg_introduced_its8230_1162x937_wallpaper_Wallpaper_1280x1024_www_wall321_com.jpg

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Fossil said:

Not at all. When I was 6'3" I drove Datsun's. That makes me a member of the "Pee Wee wannabe" syndrome. Fuel economy was the excuse I used. That and I worked at a Datsun dealer. One does wonder why people want to own large vehicles when they can't reach the pedals with seat all the way forward. Especially when the Vehicle makes the person look smaller than they are as in this photo. Looking at the this persons foot to knee length next to the spare tire I'm wondering if he is even 5' tall? 

mm_04_at_the_end_of_1928_duesenberg_introduced_its8230_1162x937_wallpaper_Wallpaper_1280x1024_www_wall321_com.jpg

Back in 1965 the governor of Delaware, Bert Carvel was 6'6 and his personal car was a Volkswagen. It was a sight seeing a man of that size get out of that car. He lived one street over from me and I witnessed that act many times. 

• Haha 1

That White is a center door sedan of mega proportions! Could have a family reunion indoors in that car.

The Willoughby Body Company of Utica, NY made some similar voluminous proportions as well in that era as they were well known for enclosed coachwork and did some "production" runs of certain body types for several manufacturers ( Cole, Franklin, Lincoln, Nash etc) . I have the WIlloughby photo files from the 1920s-thiries era ( NO not who bought what) in albums kept by Francis Willoughby that will eventually become a history of the company from start to finish.

• Like 1

Hmmm, looks like the windshield is V-shaped with left and right sections.  Was this a peculiar shape to a Willoughby body, or was that a White company design element?

White steamer Willoughby Body Co Utica NY.jpg

• Like 2

That V windshield style was popular in the era right after WWI up until about 1923 not particular to any individual body builder. It was a way to add a new feature ( they didn't call it aerodynamics at that era) to the enclosed body style that was becoming more popular for cars. Franklin ( non Willoughby built) had a V windshield sedan as its regular enclosed body feature in the late teens. I can not proclaim that what you see is a WIlloughby body on the White, just know that they ( Willoughby) produced similar coachwork and was why I mentioned it. Willoughby also built cars with a flat "normal" windshield and also curved glass pillars at the front windshield post area but this is now getting into a discussion of their particular "builds" and that is a whole story in itself. The story I will do on that Utica, NY company will not appear in the AACA magazine as they do not have the room .

• Like 2

Not as extreme a vee as the White above. but the British coachbuilders were into vee screens as well. This 1922 Rolls-Royce came to NZ when near new as a vee screen saloon. Sometime quite early in its life a tree fell on it and the body required replacement. A local coachbuilder built a new body and retained the original vee screen. The car spent most of its life in Hawke's bay until it moved south to Christchurch about ten years ago.

I am not sure of the date of the first photo - probably mid 2000s I think - taken at the Hawke's Bay Art Deco festival.

22 Al Dray photo Napier vcc fb.jpg

The second photo shows the new owner attending to the car near Lake Tekapo on a frosty morning in 2014. Its lack of front brakes was a minor problem on a greasy farm track when he tried to stop before a gate. I was there to help extricate the car and fortunately damage was only minor. 

IMG_0839.JPG

I should enquire as to whether there are any photos of it from back in the day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looking at the signs naming the dealers that represent the cars, it was in Fairfield County , Connecticut that the show happened or near by . That is in the western part of the state that has NY on its north /south border. 50 or so years after this photo was taken there was a pre 1942 car show that was held annually ( in Fairfield, Ct) in September in Ridgefield, Ct. that I faithfully attended with my parents who drove us there in our modern car ( which would now be eligible for AACA events as it would be 50+ years old) . They felt it would be good to make me happy the one time to see the car show - well we went for every year after that; and I am still going to car shows nearly 60 years later.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Another 'no info' photo - spearate cylinders suggests and early date but is that an overhead camshaft?

No photo description available.

Sure looks like an overhead cam driven off a vertical shaft at the front.

I am away from home and my reference materials to check, but wonder if the “Jackson” on the Geo. J. Scott Motor Co. shop window identifies the chassis.

• Like 3

Another fascinating early photo found on a facebook page. The car looks low enough to be some sort of underslung. The steering wheel doesn't match either Regal or American.

A pity about the thumb prints which partly obscure the distinctive top bows - 

pre 80s photos Anne N David Short underslung maybe.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

Gee, Ed, you sure haven't aged much since 1944... 

The gentleman in the photo, who was the second owner of the car, and had it for more than six decades, would be 107 or 108 years old today. I sure would have liked to have met him. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 8/16/2021 at 5:10 AM, nzcarnerd said:

Another 'no info' photo - spearate cylinders suggests and early date but is that an overhead camshaft?

No photo description available.

Although they were better known for manufacturing small to medium size cars, Jackson did indeed build a couple of  cars in from 1909 to 1911 that were powered by a large, overhead camshaft, hemispherical combustion chamber engines (Yup, its got a HEMI!) which were rated at around 50HP.  A 50HP Jackson placed amongst the top 10 finishers at the 1911 Indianapolis 500. There is at least one survivor and a partial survivor. 

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Ed, the "then" and "Now" photos need no apology! I wish there were more of this of the same car nearly 80 years apart! Way cool.  The photos themselves are a huge cornerstone in history when presented like this. Especially since your car is still in the original condition as it was in the first photo.

• Like 2

Walt, in the photo you can see the driver tire is into the casement. Interestingly my car got new tires in 1948 but they were never driven on. When I put the first fifty miles on the car.......the front passenger tire was wearing very excessively. Fixed the bad bushing and did an alignment and all is well. So, the car had the problem when the photo was taken in the 40's. As I have been putting the pieces of the puzzle together I can now actually know when the car was on or off the road by year. The now updated timeline is:

Purchased new spring of 1917 and used on and off by the original owner and his son until the summer of 1928.

Parked from 1928 to 1941/1942

Used as transportation during the war as an occasional  driver 1942/1945. Driven from Long Island to Mississippi and back 1944!

Placed in storage from 1945 to 1952. An attempt made to recommission it in 1951/1952 never was finished.

Sat in storage from 1952 to 2020.

November 2020- On the road again.

It's quite a story, and a great car.

Originally I thought the car was dormant for 82 years, but I was incorrect.......it was only 75!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ed:

Glad you got this White, have recommissioned it and are preserving its, albeit gracefully aged, original condition.  The 'then and now' comparison photos are priceless in giving context to its history.

Steve

PS:  Do you know any young ladies who would dress the part in WWI period fashion who would do so to accompany you at public appearances?

We were thinking of remaking the shot with similar clothes. My better half isn’t into cars, but for the photo, she would go for it.

• Like 3

On 8/17/2021 at 7:19 PM, Gary_Ash said:

Gee, Ed, you sure haven't aged much since 1944... 

Ed always has a vacant look on his face until his head is under the hood of a car.  Then much like the Grinch's heart,  his brain becomes 10 times larger.

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

penn1280.jpg

Ok, I know it's a train but there are probably a few autos within a mile or so. Big as that engine is you could hide a parking lot behind it.

At least the T1 was designed by Raymond Loewy. Only lately I have learned that he was more a train guy than a car guy despite designing the iconic first new post-war Studebaker

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, HK500 said:

Wow look at this early race car.  I have no idea what it is - is that a side mounted radiator or is it a steam car?  The photo was taken by a New York photography studio, but no other clues as to the car type.

AncientRaceCar_000038.jpg

white steam car.  Whistling Billy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1