Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Dave, the photo caption says this is a 1928 Model A.  Actually the radiator shows it is a 1930 or 1931 model.  Great photo.  The moving assembly line appears to be very similar to that used for Model T assembly.  The body style is Briggs.

30-31 Ford Model A Assembly Line.jpg

The Franklin in the photo Dave posted is either a 1930 series 14 model 145 or 1931 series 15 model 151 or 152. Both cars used most of the similar components but had a different hood panel at the side which is hard to see here but I think I detect the lower spear louver on the hood side so it might possibly be the 1930 car. Absolutely wonderful driving automobile , minimal or no fatigue to drive long distances , Franklin's motto in that era was "Riding like gliding" and they indeed did do that. This is stated from experience - I have driven Franklin's of this era for nearly 60,000 miles.

Walt

• Like 3

I have driven Studebakers all day on the highway, and have ridden in cars that are now vintage when I was way younger.  I have always found the chair-like seats with the multiple coil spring construction in them to be very comfortable after a long journey and no aches of any kind.  And this is/was without power adjustment and lumbar support that all these newer premium cars have with their mostly foam rubber cushioning.   

Craig

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

The Franklin in the photo Dave posted is either a 1930 series 14 model 145 or 1931 series 15 model 151 or 152. Both cars used most of the similar components but had a different hood panel at the side which is hard to see here but I think I detect the lower spear louver on the hood side so it might possibly be the 1930 car. Absolutely wonderful driving automobile , minimal or no fatigue to drive long distances , Franklin's motto in that era was "Riding like gliding" and they indeed did do that. This is stated from experience - I have driven Franklin's of this era for nearly 60,000 miles.

Walt

Quoted wrong post. See below.

Edited by Dave Gelinas (XP-300) (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

Quoted wrong post. See below.

4 hours ago, Walt G said:

Walt

It's a 1930 Walt. If you will notice the belt line at the windshield that extends to the hood, the 31's didn't have that. Their belt line stopped about 2 inches beyond the windshield post. Also, the 31's didn't have fender lights nor a rib down the center of the fender. 

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy 4th of July - and keep those fire extinguishers handy!  Here's the aftermath of the 1929 LA Auto show fire.  Extra Credit if you can find the Auburn Cabin Speedster without referring to the June, 1975 issue of "The Classic Car" magazine, the CCCA quarterly!  The tall building with the peaked roof still stands just south of the 10 freeway in downtown LA. 

LAautoShowFire1929_000017.jpg

LAautoShowFire1929leftside_000018.jpg

Edited by HK500 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 7/4/2021 at 3:58 PM, K8096 said:

An Elgin motor sweeper in Philadelphia, 1917

Not a car, but rather a street sweeper.  A 1917 Elgin.  How would you like to get your arm caught in all those chains?    No safety guards at all. 

Elgin still makes street sweepers today.   I remember when our city here replaced their Mobil sweepers with Elgin sweepers.  They could be emptied 'on the fly' when a dump truck pulled up along side it, empty the contents of the dust bin, and then keep on sweeping.  Elgin Sweeper Company  

Craig

A photo posted on a facebook page. Apparently taken at the 1906 Vanderbilt Cup race on Long Island.

I can see a Peerless radiator towards the lower right. Looks as if the folks have lifted the seat cushion so they can stand in the back to see the race.

The car in front of the Peerless with the round radiator and vents on the hood is a Hotchkiss I think - note the cape cart top.

Something heavy at lower right with platform rear springing - maybe too early to be a Cadillac? 

Could the white car at lower left be another Peerless?

Looks as if the limo's chauffeur has put the seat cushions on the roof to sit on.

May be an image of standing, outdoors and monument

• Like 4

A true vintage photo.  The men wear hats; not commonly done these days.  Bald tires -- check.  Gouged right front tire with a blown out hole -- yikes.  Model T jack -- got it.  Mud speckled paint job -- looks authentic.  Bent front fenders supported by an adjustable rod -- nice touch.  Hopefully the fender-mounted rolls of tarp do not prevent venting the engine compartment.  How in the world was the license plate bent with the crank handle in front of it?  A person just doesn't see this level of authenticity at judging events.

Ford T 095.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

A true vintage photo.  The men wear hats; not commonly done these days.  Bald tires -- check.  Gouged right front tire with a blown out hole -- yikes.  Model T jack -- got it.  Mud speckled paint job -- looks authentic.  Bent front fenders supported by an adjustable rod -- nice touch.  Hopefully the fender-mounted rolls of tarp do not prevent venting the engine compartment.  How in the world was the license plate bent with the crank handle in front of it?  A person just doesn't see this level of authenticity at judging events.

Ford T 095.jpg

I am willing to bet the owner bent the plate himself so as not to cut off his fingers when cranking....

• Like 4