Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

9 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

Rolls Royce Silver Shadow II Krug Panel Van '1979

Rolls Royce Silver Shadow II Krug Panel Van '1979.jpg

WELL! We couldn't have our champagne delivered in a lowly without class ford or chevy now could we? More unusual than the custom Rolls is the fact that it has whitewall tires and it's a British car delivering French Champagne.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Great little car were they produced open sided or was a this specially modified job , perhaps to show her legs 😆

Austin Clark had at least one of these at his L.I. Auto Museum and it sat on display in the museum rarely used except in a local parade sometimes. I don't think any built had doors . We both agreed that with little or no doors and the chance of falling out being present, it was better to have that possibly happen in his type 35 Mercer raceabout at 70 mph then the Fiat at 20 mph. This was the logic at the time 45+ years ago . 😉

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Austin Clark had at least one of these at his L.I. Auto Museum and it sat on display in the museum rarely used except in a local parade sometimes. I don't think any built had doors . We both agreed that with little or no doors and the chance of falling out being present, it was better to have that possibly happen in his type 35 Mercer raceabout at 70 mph then the Fiat at 20 mph. This was the logic at the time 45+ years ago . 😉

The Citroen Mehari and Austin Mini Moke were similar vehicles.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Doors were on option on the Crosley HotShot, and the  Excalibur Series I didn't have doors, either.

Craig

Dave, this photo that you posted is a real keeper.  The caption information attached to the photo is Omaha, Nebraska in 1938.  It has been noted by another member that 1938 was in the time period of the Great Depression years.  The photo shows only two elderly cars, both Model A Fords that, depending on their year of production, were right on the very beginning of the Depression.  Hence it is interesting that there are so many newer 1930s cars in the photo.  My father trapped muskrats to help with a little cash flow in the Depression years.  He told me that times were tough enough that sometimes he could only afford to buy one .22 caliber bullet at a time time in a hardware store for his muskrat trapping, hunting, and processing.  Some of the old timers in our small mid-west town continued to drive their vehicles that survived the Depression, just in case the Depression came back again.  My grandfather drove his '31 Plymouth (with a Ford Model A engine) until about 1958 when he traded it in for a "new" car, a '39 Chevrolet.  Model A's were not uncommon to see, and one old guy for years continued to drive his Model T depot hack even though the passenger train stopped coming in the early 1950s.  He gave me a ride in the depot hack out to dad's mink farm one time.  A wonderful Oakland sedan was a common feature seen around town.  One last fond memory sparked by this photo involved a drag race from a signal light with my uncle's 1934 Ford versus a 1955 or '56 Buick.  That was no contest at all, the '34 Ford was a jack rabbit compared with that obese lumbering Buick.

355931805_November1938.CapitolAvenuestorefrontsOmahaNebraska..jpg.ecb01292c44d171a5e109c64bfcf5590.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

Christie Touring Car '1905

Christie Touring Car '1905.jpg

Is this the one that was built out of one of Christie's racing cars? I had read about that one, but never seen a picture of it?  Or did Christie purpose-build this touring car?

Neat car regardless!

Quite possibly this is one of the purpose built cars. Austin Clark had the hood to the Christie taxi cab up in the loft of his auto museum and if you were up there ( it was very very dark except for a few hanging bare light bulbs) most likely someone was tripping over it looking for parts when attending one of the semi annual ( by invite) Iron Range Days. Austin also borrowed and copied a small quantity of original Christie sales literature from someone whose family invested in the Christie company when it was in existence and basically the only thing they got for their $ invested was the printed literature! I remember this from when I worked for Austin in his library 50 years ago. Why do I remember all this weird stuff?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

This is a Delaunay - Belleville

My first thought was D-B also - BUT - that car looks to have an early/mid 1920s body on it but that looks to be a pre WW1 radiator.

I guess it is possible someone had their pre WW1 limousine body updated but I think it may be another make.

I think the two cars in the photos further up this page may be the same, even though the bodies are different in the hood/cowl area. There are some of the same children in both photos.

I wonder if the car is a pre WW1 Delaunay-Belleville shot at tow different stages of a body modernisation.

aaca p355 limo.jpg

aaca p355 limo (2).jpg

aaca p335 limo 2.jpg

aaca p335 limo 2 (2).jpg

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

Quite possibly this is one of the purpose built cars. Austin Clark had the hood to the Christie taxi cab up in the loft of his auto museum and if you were up there ( it was very very dark except for a few hanging bare light bulbs) most likely someone was tripping over it looking for parts when attending one of the semi annual ( by invite) Iron Range Days. Austin also borrowed and copied a small quantity of original Christie sales literature from someone whose family invested in the Christie company when it was in existence and basically the only thing they got for their $ invested was the printed literature! I remember this from when I worked for Austin in his library 50 years ago. Why do I remember all this weird stuff?

I wished I lived in Austin Clark's neighborhood!!

I keep hearing all your wonderful reminiscing all of your visits at his home, and I do remember reading about him in older issues of Car Classics magazine from the 1970's.  It appears he had some interesting stuff and a huge library.

Craig