Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

10 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I'll second that, no whitewalls to bother maintaining either. Bob 

Unfortunately, a blackwall is not all that different from a whitewall - it "oxidizes" or whatever you want to call it  and you must keep up on it via scrubbing (I use a soft wire toothbrush(s) generally).  And, for really high point cars you need to clean all the tread too. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, twin6 said:

Packard 343 club sedan, with a few accessories.  The gizmo up near the cowl vent has me perplexed.

343 club sedan.jpg

I cannot be certain. I zoomed in as best the image quality would allow, but the detail wasn't quite good enough. I suspect it may be an accessory lamp to light up the Boyce Motometer. I think they were made by Boyce, however it has been about ten years since I saw an advertisement for them. They were to be mounted on top of the cowl, ahead of the windshield. Wiring was simple, just a couple small holes in the dash and cowl for switch and mounting. Wire connected to a hot or lamp switched connector behind the automobile's dash. The lamp had a focused beam that was to be aimed forward to light up the Motometer. Some of them had small red and green "jewels" in the sides.

I have only actually seen a couple of them in fifty years, and only a few times seen copies of magazine advertisements for them.

Interesting Packard! I don't care for the color scheme myself, and frankly prefer the subtle dignity of Packards and other cars of the era. Too much added "stuff" for my taste. Any history on the picture? When it was taken?

9 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

I cannot be certain. I zoomed in as best the image quality would allow, but the detail wasn't quite good enough. I suspect it may be an accessory lamp to light up the Boyce Motometer. I think they were made by Boyce, however it has been about ten years since I saw an advertisement for them. They were to be mounted on top of the cowl, ahead of the windshield. Wiring was simple, just a couple small holes in the dash and cowl for switch and mounting. Wire connected to a hot or lamp switched connector behind the automobile's dash. The lamp had a focused beam that was to be aimed forward to light up the Motometer. Some of them had small red and green "jewels" in the sides.

I have only actually seen a couple of them in fifty years, and only a few times seen copies of magazine advertisements for them.

Interesting Packard! I don't care for the color scheme myself, and frankly prefer the subtle dignity of Packards and other cars of the era. Too much added "stuff" for my taste. Any history on the picture? When it was taken?

Yes Wayne, you are correct. It is a Motometer light to light up the motometer. Also has the boat colored lights on each side.  I too think it was made by Boyce. Must be mounted on the fresh air pop up vent on this one. I had a NOS one when I collecting all sorts of neat teens and 20's accessories.  Jim Fredrick

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

Yes, on the car's cowl is a Motometer light - and on radiator is a  standard Motometer (they made then though with a light on front of Motometer itself as an accessory) - the front face of Motometer is black with a Packard emblem on face visible from front of car and I have had a few dozen in my hands over years (though rarely pay attention to) and want to say the backside (side facing driver) is also black (white would be easier to see the fluid level though). 

26 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

The car also has an accessory bumper (perhaps Balcrank brand), accessory fender mirrors (official Packard accessory), horns, Goddess of Speed mascot, spotlights, step plates, and the disk wheels were probably an option or they just gave you a choice of wood or disk (you did not really see wire wheels until a few open cars in 26, then 27 was the wire wheel launch year, and 28 it became more mainstream). I would also tell you the car is dark maroon, blue, or green with perhaps tan trim (aka I do not think it is a black car).

Thank you john M for the additional details! I was really wondering about those mirrors. I knew that Packard offered quite a number of "official" accessories, including mirrors. I find it interesting that these would be a Packard offering. I have seen a few similar mirrors loose at swap meets (although some years back!). I like the bumpers on the car. The horns? Not so much. But that is me.

Again, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

Thank you john M for the additional details! I was really wondering about those mirrors. I knew that Packard offered quite a number of "official" accessories, including mirrors. I find it interesting that these would be a Packard offering. I have seen a few similar mirrors loose at swap meets (although some years back!). I like the bumpers on the car. The horns? Not so much. But that is me.

Again, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

As to the 27 (one year only) "factory" optional wire wheels - they are incredibly unique and they have the lock ring on the inside of the wheel and the exterior of rim thus looks to some degree like a drop center rim.

It's great to get input from others, as Walt points out, we are all learning and sharing.  I probably should have posted what was with the photo when I found it:  "John A. Malone, Milwaukee, Model 3-43 delivered 9/29/1926, mileage 69,496, motor has never been overhauled, note: special bumpers, running board step plates, dual spot lamps, dual rear view mirrors, Packard deluxe emblem, series of three horns mounted on headlamp cross bar, side glass ventilation panels."  It's a DPL image.

343.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, 34LaSalleClubSedan said:

Love cars without Sidemounts & plus they have a rear spare or dual rears

agreed.  But I think they didn't quite get the angle for the double rear spare right.    This SS Mercedes seems to flow better.

Mercedes-Benz Cyprus - Passenger Cars - History - 1926-1929

• Like 1

This Packard was delivered / delivery taken in 1926 and it already has more than 69,000 miles on the odometer.  That's a lot of driving.  I remember family cars being traded in for something new back in the 1950s once the odometer reached 60,000.  The worn front tires on the Packard need to be replaced.  With approximately 8000, maybe 9,000 miles expected for tires in that day, this used Packard was probably on it's eighths set of tires.  IMHO the cluster of horns does not look good on this car, and the bumper is unimaginative.  The '31 Lincoln K's front end with the second set of lights and a nice bumper does more to bling the front end than what is on the Packard.  The bumper alone on the '24 Kissel looks better than the Packard's round pipe.

Packard 343 Club Sedan delivered 9-29-26 nukeage 69,496 - Copy.jpg

31 Lincoln K Coupe 03-15.jpg

24 Kissel 07-08.jpg

An elegant couple, formerly dressed in top hat and tails. leave the theatre while their chauffeur driven 1927 Model T Tudor awaits them.

We know that Ford was "The Universal Car" but is this taking things a little too far? From the British edition of the Ford Times. January 1927.

Ford T 001 (2).jpg

• Like 1

Regarding the round tubular bumper on the Packard. With all the other accessories it is really hard to picture and possibly appreciate . hold your finger over the front of the car in the picture to block out the horns and just have the bumper and headlamps. Doesn't look bad.

Trying to compare that to a 1931 Lincoln - well you are looking at 5 years difference in styling, by 1931 the whole profile of cars were about 4 to 6 inches lower , conical shaped headlamps replaced drum lights. Rounded shape to the radiator shell of the Lincoln compared to the flat geometric shape of the Packard. Compare a 1926 Lincoln to the 1931 Lincoln - what do you see?

The bumpers on both the Lincoln and Kissel sit much lower then the tubular one on the Packard . That has a lot to do with the "look". Check the distance between the bottom of the headlamps and the top of the bumper on all the cars in question and the distance from the ground to the bottom of the bumper.  5 years makes a difference. Also the body on the Kissel is low in stance and open the body with no roof up  on the Packard is vertical and enclosed, all makes a large visual difference.

One has to put things in perspective styling wise, Think of a 1933 Graham - amazing styling totally beautiful car add 5 years 1938 - totally different looking car, also absolutely beautiful . Do that for a 1960 Lincoln  and the styling for a 1965 - more aspects of how changes were made have to be taken into consideration.

19 hours ago, twin6 said:

It's great to get input from others, as Walt points out, we are all learning and sharing.  I probably should have posted what was with the photo when I found it:  "John A. Malone, Milwaukee, Model 3-43 delivered 9/29/1926, mileage 69,496, motor has never been overhauled, note: special bumpers, running board step plates, dual spot lamps, dual rear view mirrors, Packard deluxe emblem, series of three horns mounted on headlamp cross bar, side glass ventilation panels."  It's a DPL image.

343.jpg

Never seen anything like the "little horn" before  - I guess sit could be an optical illusion that the horn on the right looks larger, but wonder if right and left horn are same size, wonder if we have small/medium/large, and wonder what the tone of the small horn. 

The horns appear to be three different sizes.  The relative size / scale of the headlights appears to be virtually the same for the distance of separation.  The three horns are close together and their relative, apparent sizes are different.

Another gem from DPL:  "Packard 243, second series eight (produced 2/2/1925-8/1/1926), 8-cylinder, 85-horsepower, 143-inch wheelbase, 8-person faux cabriolet, by Van Den Plas, Brussels, for Max Sauvau. Grand prix winner Monte Carlo (March 1926), Nice & Cannes Concours d'Elegance."

243 Van Den Plas.jpg

Edited by twin6 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Please post tech questions in the right forum.

Full screen is super nice over the partial - it would be nice to get full photos back too (or is it just duplicates that show up condensed - hate to say it, but have not looked at such in detail) - did notice it condensed 125 pages off. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Just now, John_Mereness said:

Full screen is super nice over the partial - it would be nice to get full photos back too (or is it just duplicates that show up condensed - hate to say it, but have not looked at such in detail) - did notice it condensed 125 pages off. 

Noticed the Page Total right away. Thank you to all the guys that took the time to post all these great photos. I personally enjoyed seeing them. Bob 

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Noticed the Page Total right away. Thank you to all the guys that took the time to post all these great photos. I personally enjoyed seeing them. Bob 

Peter "Webmaster" enlarged the number of posts on a page from 28 I believe to 40 - he was just explaining elsewhere.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2020 at 9:24 AM, Colin Spong said:

An elegant couple, formerly dressed in top hat and tails. leave the theatre while their chauffeur driven 1927 Model T Tudor awaits them.

We know that Ford was "The Universal Car" but is this taking things a little too far? From the British edition of the Ford Times. January 1927.

Ford T 001 (2).jpg

Having driven a few of these...yes. yes it is!

9 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Two great photos from Allen Buchholz

image001.thumb.jpg.d13b2d39dc2ca87b10e6665a10be8318.jpg.6a48a6c14d1f490c8ea0f45ed58dcbf5.jpg

On the left appears to be about a 1913 Oakland. There are a few differences from the 1913 model in this 1962 photo. Most noticeably the sidelights in the original photo are farther out than on the 1913, and the steering wheels are on different sides. Would the left hand steering mean the original car is a later model than 1913?

534616443_Oakland1913RoddyHuff.thumb.jpg.72e2f4aa307b2c406050842a5bab92af.jpg

Don

Edited by DLynskey
Spelling (or rather Typing) (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Really interesting to see classic cars represented by the various dealerships all over the world. Gives all of us a great historical perspective as to the extent that they were on offer and the effort it took to get a car someplace so far away from where they were manufactured. All transportation by boat , not air freight.  "hypermodern" gotta love that! THANK YOU all for your contributions GREAT STUFF. How many of us are seeing and reading things we never knew existed before? 

Keep in mind that this is because AACA is providing the space and service for automotive history to members and non members alike. Join AACA!

• Like 2