Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

AC21AB8A-8145-40AE-BA43-DAC4F57E2C8F.png

Any idea of the back story on this photo?

The clothing style looks very 1920s to me but the cars are much earlier, seems like they would have been considered obsolete if not antique at the time the photo was taken. And it is obviously some sort of event.

4 minutes ago, ply33 said:

The clothing style looks very 1920s to me but the cars are much earlier, seems like they would have been considered obsolete if not antique at the time the photo was taken. And it is obviously some sort of event.

I generally agree. Although it is possible the photo could have been taken a bit later. Maybe late '30s, could possibly even be post-war?

The car on our left appears to be a 1903 Ford based upon the radiator. Cadillacs looked quite similar from the front, however their radiator was slanted, not straight. If I recall correctly, the 1904 Ford had an additional row of tubes at the bottom of the radiator (I could be wrong about that?). I don't know what the car on our right is. That style front was quite popular 1900 to 1905 in the USA. It was copied from French designs began in the late 1890s. Whatever the car is? The tires are sure shot! I doubt they were racing them despite appearing to be on a track. Although maybe the tires being shot could be the result of racing them?

That photo conjures up so many things to wonder about. Like, I wonder if those two cars still survive?

I am pleased to see more activity in this thread! The "White" thread seemed to take it over for a bit. Both threads are incredible, and deserve to remain active. As Ed's project winds down nearing fruition, some return to this thread would be enjoyable. I wish i had more worthy photos to add here myself. Maybe I can add a few from my Ford archives.

Thank you all!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

DF8CE15F-4838-4C3A-ADB7-FD00828ABECE.png

Ed, you must be taking some time away from the White. It amazes me as to the filling station arrangements in the teens and 1920s. Here it shows the 3 extension filler pipes on the curb with the visible gas pumps against the building. At first I thought they may be water pipes for filling radiators. No wonder cities banned the curb side pumps as these are just begging to be damaged. Also note the location of the fire plug! 
So many service stations of the period also advertise "High Pressure washing". All us owners of period cars would love to have that service available now. Local to me there is a "GREEN STEAM CLEANING" Service. Their rates are somewhat higher than the $1.00-$1.50 on the wall signage.

• Like 2

It’s amazing what one can find.......four weeks ago, this photo marked unknown engine was just that, now I can obviously identify it as a 1917 White Motor Car 16  Valve High Power......it’s a small world!

D96D2428-A77E-4D70-94AC-6D0C579CAC1B.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I very much would like to make about two dozen inappropriate comments.......but don’t want Peter G to get upset at me..........😜

6E383BBB-78C5-44B9-8F1C-5D90A0A7B6BE.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1