Period images to relieve some of the stress

2 hours ago, dc-8dave said:

Here is a couple images of the Premier's wheels, hope this helps.

IMG_4906.JPG

IMG_4908.JPG

Those look like Disteel wheels. Whether they were standard or an option I don't know.

Here are the same wheels on a Studebaker Big Six custom town car - 

Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor

• Like 3

Thanks to all of you who continue to contribute to this, comment and view as well. I think it is keeping us all safe and occupied with automotive history but even more so "sane" because we can count on seeing "cool cars" and vehicles that we know and count on to make us happy.

SO here are my days offerings:

1907 Austin ( English)

1926 Ballot ( sorry I do not know the body builder)

192? Hispano Suiza by Belvalette

Austin1907001.jpg

BALLOT1926001.jpg

HispanoSuizatowncar001.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
On 8/20/2020 at 4:18 PM, jukejunkie1015 said:

Roy Berrens, of Puyallup, photographed in May of 1969 with his 1916 White Touring car. Mr. Berrens has been restoring his seven-passenger White touring car for over a year. He first dismantled the car and overhauled the drive train and painted the frame. He spent the past winter restoring and painting the body, doors and dash and plans to restore the upholstery and top this coming winter. Eventually the engine will be overhauled. During the summer the White is reassembled so the Berrens family can take open-air spins. The White is a Model GED with a four cylinder 29-horsepower engine. The car weighs 4,700 pounds and contains two jump seats which added to the regular seating makes it a seven-passenger ride. The White Model GED is rarely seen as the vast majority of White products in that era were heavy duty trucks. Mr. Berrens' White was originally purchased by the Rainier National Park Co. as a park touring car. It was bought by Mr. Berrens in 1966 after it had spent 30 years in a Puyallup wrecking yard.

General_Photograph_Collection_TNT_B048.jpg

Very cool.......Was this from a magazine? That’s a single valve 45 horse power car on a 124 inch wheel base. Similar to mine, just a junior cousin.........my car is 14 inches longer in the chassis and 72 horse power. Amazing that no one I know of is familiar with this car in the photo. 

From The Old Motor web site , carriage house in Ridgefield, Ct. that was built in 1906 photo is from @1910. I went to a Tag Sale there yesterday. Google 65 Peaceable St. Ridgefield, Ct. for details, sell a few Ferrari's and house the rest. Bob 

wick31.jpg

068084ba8fdcec4eeb7030ec2badf6bel-m2965769080xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

068084ba8fdcec4eeb7030ec2badf6bel-m1398961821xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

068084ba8fdcec4eeb7030ec2badf6bel-m588606694xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 4
34 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Very cool.......Was this from a magazine? That’s a single valve 45 horse power car on a 124 inch wheel base. Similar to mine, just a junior cousin.........my car is 14 inches longer in the chassis and 72 horse power. Amazing that no one I know of is familiar with this car in the photo. 

Possible that one of these could be it?

12764474_1020801007989962_4342856143430161510_o.jpg

mount_rainier7.jpg

118014266_4302361286500568_2007518962730598289_o.jpg

• Like 3

1934 Ford 4 cylinder "Rheinland"  with coachwork by Hebmuller of Barmen, Germany. Seen here being used as a taxi in immediate post-war Germany. Note the bombed out buildings in the background.

D0009.jpg

• Like 3

Colin

WOW, great picture of the Ford. As I mentioned before - its what you see beyond just the make of car - coachwork, license plates, back ground buildings and architecture - the whole history lesson of an era put into perspective. Wonder if this Ford is on an extended wheelbase?

Thanks

Walt

From the previous post.

This is one of those photo's that doesn't do the scenery justice. Imagine the expanse they witnessed on this trip...

Gorgeous location in person I'm sure.

A great playful car photo, thanks for sharing it. 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Matford Showroom on the Avenue Champs-Elysees, Paris about 1937. Matford was an amalgamation between Ford of France and the French manufacturer, Mathis.

When I was last in Paris I tried to locate the site but it now appears to be a MacDonalds !!

Matford Showroom0154.jpg

Matford Showroom 20155.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Past and present okay to post ? 

White Eagle station at 301 E Missouri St Alma Kansas

missouri-st-301-chunkys-larry-ringel-copy.jpg

Still standing (almost a time capsule). Would love to own an old service station like this for a shop.

image.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I have always thought the Derham bodies like that Packard had some of the best lines of any body ever made, regardless of the chassis it sits on. Thanks for posting this photo as I have not seen that one before. 

19 hours ago, Colin Spong said:

Matford Showroom on the Avenue Champs-Elysees, Paris about 1937. Matford was an amalgamation between Ford of France and the French manufacturer, Mathis.

When I was last in Paris I tried to locate the site but it now appears to be a MacDonalds !!

Matford Showroom0154.jpg

The door pulls on that building would not look out-of-place on a modern office tower today.

Craig

• Like 1

Derham was a quality shop, that lasted into the late 1960s, I have a sales catalog they issued in 1967! for body modifications they could and did perform in their shops.

I had a Derham bodied car built in the end of 1930 - wow, lots of really thick and heavy  well engineered structural seasoned ash wood under the aluminum skin, no filler anyplace to make things curve the way they were supposed to , all the sheet metal was perfectly formed. Quality under the beautiful exterior that you saw at the automobile salons. Enos Derham was a great gentleman and very patient and kind to answer my questions in the early 1970s when we were in contact.  At a car show about 25 years ago I spoke to a fellow who was a young guy who worked at the Derham shops in the 1950s and he said that they did a lot of work on limousines , including making them more "bomb proof" when constructed for diplomats in foreign countries. They lined the floors under the carpets with chain mail ( think of the chain mail used by the knights of old in suits of armor) to prevent any metal from being blown up into the cars from an explosive device! Apparently it was fairly effective most of the time. More automotive coach builders history.

I have lots of stories that I heard from Rudy Creteur of Rollston/Rollson as well at  conversations during lunch with Austin Clark we used to go to on a regular basis 45+ years ago.

• Like 1

An attractive body style that made it on to a few Stutz and Model J also.   I posted a drawing of it on a J8-90 Stearns chassis too down in the Stearns Knight thread.

• Like 1

In a number of the photos that have been posted on this forum's thread, automobile tires both on the ground and retained in the fender wells show considerable wear.  Rubber and tire fabrication technology lagged behind automotive and mechanical technology.  Cotton cord was the most used material bedded in rubber, but the rubber compound itself needed improvement.  In 1907 the Ajax-Grieb Rubber Company guaranteed their Ajax tires for 5000 miles and jazzed up their advertising with "cheesecake" of the day.  The Automobile in 1922 published an article about an 8000 mile tire, and in that same year appeared an article about producing synthetic rubber from petroleum.  Synthetic rubber would go on to be an important chemical compound in World War Two.  Worn tire tread can contributed to or cause a traffic accident; it may be factors in the two accident photos.  The left-front tire of the Los Angeles Fire Chief's Chrysler, and possibly the right-front tire as well, would warrant a modern day highway patrol citation of warning.  The last photo also shows a worn out tire in a critical location.

07 Ajax Tires.JPG

001.jpg

002.jpg

003 Chrysler L.A. Fire Chief.jpg

004 Packard.jpg

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

MM.jpg

What do you call these rims on the disk wheel? Is the lock ring bolted on, drop center or clincher? 

Bob

They look to be Disteel wheels. I haven't researched details of them but there are plenty of ads to be found on ebay etc.

15 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

MM.jpg

What do you call these rims on the disk wheel? Is the lock ring bolted on, drop center or clincher? 

Bob

There's this....

Disteel.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, twin6 said:

Third series twin six with Fleetwood body built for Marilyn Miller.  The fenders appear to be Packard.

MM.jpg

That Packard factory behind it is still standing..............BARELY!!

• Thanks 1
On 8/23/2020 at 8:24 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

From the previous post.

This is one of those photo's that doesn't do the scenery justice. Imagine the expanse they witnessed on this trip...

Gorgeous location in person I'm sure.

A great playful car photo, thanks for sharing it. 

And  the view a little lower with other tour vehicles.

6a00e5513924e688330240a489cf06200d-800wi.jpg

• Like 1

An interesting cross section of technologies: a rail car loaded with milled lumber next to oxen next to a Model T (registered to Earl Hastings, of Los Angeles).

1914 CA 5819.jpg

• Like 1
  • gwells changed the title to Period images to relieve some of the stress