Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

19 hours ago, Colin Spong said:

Matford Showroom on the Avenue Champs-Elysees, Paris about 1937. Matford was an amalgamation between Ford of France and the French manufacturer, Mathis.

When I was last in Paris I tried to locate the site but it now appears to be a MacDonalds !!

Matford Showroom0154.jpg

The door pulls on that building would not look out-of-place on a modern office tower today.

Craig

• Like 1

Derham was a quality shop, that lasted into the late 1960s, I have a sales catalog they issued in 1967! for body modifications they could and did perform in their shops.

I had a Derham bodied car built in the end of 1930 - wow, lots of really thick and heavy  well engineered structural seasoned ash wood under the aluminum skin, no filler anyplace to make things curve the way they were supposed to , all the sheet metal was perfectly formed. Quality under the beautiful exterior that you saw at the automobile salons. Enos Derham was a great gentleman and very patient and kind to answer my questions in the early 1970s when we were in contact.  At a car show about 25 years ago I spoke to a fellow who was a young guy who worked at the Derham shops in the 1950s and he said that they did a lot of work on limousines , including making them more "bomb proof" when constructed for diplomats in foreign countries. They lined the floors under the carpets with chain mail ( think of the chain mail used by the knights of old in suits of armor) to prevent any metal from being blown up into the cars from an explosive device! Apparently it was fairly effective most of the time. More automotive coach builders history.

I have lots of stories that I heard from Rudy Creteur of Rollston/Rollson as well at  conversations during lunch with Austin Clark we used to go to on a regular basis 45+ years ago.

• Like 1

In a number of the photos that have been posted on this forum's thread, automobile tires both on the ground and retained in the fender wells show considerable wear.  Rubber and tire fabrication technology lagged behind automotive and mechanical technology.  Cotton cord was the most used material bedded in rubber, but the rubber compound itself needed improvement.  In 1907 the Ajax-Grieb Rubber Company guaranteed their Ajax tires for 5000 miles and jazzed up their advertising with "cheesecake" of the day.  The Automobile in 1922 published an article about an 8000 mile tire, and in that same year appeared an article about producing synthetic rubber from petroleum.  Synthetic rubber would go on to be an important chemical compound in World War Two.  Worn tire tread can contributed to or cause a traffic accident; it may be factors in the two accident photos.  The left-front tire of the Los Angeles Fire Chief's Chrysler, and possibly the right-front tire as well, would warrant a modern day highway patrol citation of warning.  The last photo also shows a worn out tire in a critical location.

07 Ajax Tires.JPG

001.jpg

002.jpg

003 Chrysler L.A. Fire Chief.jpg

004 Packard.jpg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

MM.jpg

What do you call these rims on the disk wheel? Is the lock ring bolted on, drop center or clincher? 

Bob

They look to be Disteel wheels. I haven't researched details of them but there are plenty of ads to be found on ebay etc.

On 8/23/2020 at 8:24 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

From the previous post.

This is one of those photo's that doesn't do the scenery justice. Imagine the expanse they witnessed on this trip...

Gorgeous location in person I'm sure.

A great playful car photo, thanks for sharing it. 

118014266_4302361286500568_2007518962730598289_o.jpg

And  the view a little lower with other tour vehicles.

6a00e5513924e688330240a489cf06200d-800wi.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder how the weight of the two tires affected the steering going around a corner and also the traction for the rear tires? did the tires break loose at all if the speed was up and the corner fairly sharp?

This did happen to the Pierce 66 runabout that Austin Clark had that was ordered new by a lady named Pansy Griscom. I would go out with Austin in that Pierce 66 and if he took a corner at a fairly moderate speed the three spare tires at the back ( just on rims no wheel in the center) with the lack of coach work in any quantity would break the tires loose and we would slide the rear of the car around a corner. Most of the time he accelerated going around the corner to get that affect and if it was on a dirt road near his auto museum the experience was great but also required some intake of adult beverage brewed in Scotland to calm ones nerves.

• Like 3