Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

When this photo was taken, he didn’t know my White touring car would have been in the lobby of his hotel in just a few short years.......and he probably didn’t think he would try and swim the North Atlantic among the icebergs..........Mr. Astor. Went down with the Titanic. 

C7CB461B-249C-4BD1-BC96-AF833723A15C.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, edinmass said:

11305534-98A9-4F0B-9B3E-CC1B4C48E192.png

Perhaps a Locomobile ? I am working on restoring/polishing a shell with the radiator that looks exactly the same as this right now. Great piece, beautifully made and I get yelled at by my son if I try to pick it up and move it by myself. So I don't do that ,( until after he leaves for work.) Great photo of a great car , note the dual rear wheels, wire wheels, THANKS.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I very much would like to make about two dozen inappropriate comments.......but don’t want Peter G to get upset at me..........😜

6E383BBB-78C5-44B9-8F1C-5D90A0A7B6BE.png

Plymouth in 1931 advertised it as 'floating power ', Franklin in the same year noted in its promotion literature as "riding like gliding". It is about the history of motion. And Rolls Royce noted it was the spirit of ecstasy.

• Haha 1

The Hop Rod had a little piston, ignition, and fuel system.  When it came down and compressed the spring, it also sent the piston and its fuel charge deep into the cylinder, where it was fired.   That caused the critter to fly fairly high, whereupon it came down and did it again.  It was invented, I believe, by a guy who made considerable improvements to early Locomobile and Stanley Steamers.  Most Hop Rods were exported to Japan.

4 minutes ago, oldcarfudd said:

The Hop Rod had a little piston, ignition, and fuel system.  When it came down and compressed the spring, it also sent the piston and its fuel charge deep into the cylinder, where it was fired.   That caused the critter to fly fairly high, whereupon it came down and did it again.  It was invented, I believe, by a guy who made considerable improvements to early Locomobile and Stanley Steamers.  Most Hop Rods were exported to Japan.

I guess one learned very quickly not to ride it inside the house!!

5 hours ago, Walt G said:

Perhaps a Locomobile ? I am working on restoring/polishing a shell with the radiator that looks exactly the same as this right now. Great piece, beautifully made and I get yelled at by my son if I try to pick it up and move it by myself. So I don't do that ,( until after he leaves for work.) Great photo of a great car , note the dual rear wheels, wire wheels, THANKS.

Walt, Thank you for mentioning the dual rear wheels, helped jolt my memory. That is General Pershing's Locomobile his WWI ride, here it is today. Bob 

OIP.jpg

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ed, Walt, and Bob,

Do you know the story on the split windscreen on the General Pershing Locomobile? I read that his driver was transporting him around France at high speeds many times, and the original flat, vertical windshield would break when it got up close to 100 mph from the wind resistance. So they had to alter it. Others can comment on that country's roads in 1917 and the ability of that model to go that fast, but I do recall the story. His driver must have been Private Barney Oldfield!

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

Did we cover Dagmar anywhere?  Better pictures of this baby that I stole from www.coachbuilt.com?

1925Dagmar.jpg

Im a BIG fan of Dagmars............I also like the cars. 🤣

If you don’t get it....google it.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

It was once said that you couldn't buy a loaf of bread in NYC that was not baked by Ward's or one of the many other brands they made. I think this is a calliope, too fancy to deliver bread. When Jack Ward moved to Ridgefield after buying a horse farm in the 1950's the first thing he did was inspect the ambulance in the firehouse. He didn't like it, and wrote a check for the best one available at the time, and the ones that would replace it in following years. Bob 

DSCF0285.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have no proof of period photos and I can't place my hands on the sales catalog I have but the photo Ed posted of the dude wearing the fedora getting out of the front of the custom sedan for some reason just has me thinking that the body could be by Don Lee Coachworks of Ca. not sure why.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What is this vehicle?  Cold weather, the man is wearing spats and a great looking Homburg hat, but there is no top for the car, the windshield is down and there is a vertical "air brake" deployed behind the seats.  This does not look like a pleasurable cold weather motoring experience in the offing.

8FA098B8-9219-4850-A300-05791C18BF3B.thumb.png.38f1e295684af4bb87605d09e59aa1d2.png

• Like 1

More Obscure coachwork, I "don't do normal" as most of you have surmised by now.  Way to much stuff here , but it continues to  provide a few images of things people still are interested in viewing. This is from August 1, 1919 .  Background is most likely Central Park , up near the center to northern part where it was also the favorite place for noted photographer John Adams Davis also posed the cars that were his subject.

Note that the wheel discs covering the wood wheels also are fitted to the inside of the wheels. To the best of my knowledge they are not disc wheels in the normal sense that were all steel but are just covers. Anyone getting weary of all this stuff that was forgotten and "old news"  by the mid 1920s?  OBSCURITY RULES ( ask Ed , he should know, he owns a car that has a body named Botha- 🙄)   From the island that is long.

Walt

StandardBodyCo1919FordNYC001.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, LCK81403 said:

What is this vehicle?  Cold weather, the man is wearing spats and a great looking Homburg hat, but there is no top for the car, the windshield is down and there is a vertical "air brake" deployed behind the seats.  This does not look like a pleasurable cold weather motoring experience in the offing.

8FA098B8-9219-4850-A300-05791C18BF3B.thumb.png.38f1e295684af4bb87605d09e59aa1d2.png

First guess based on the radiator setback is OTTO, second guess in the smaller model Stearns. I like the fabric seat covers. Bob 

OIP (2).jpg

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

On 9/15/2020 at 7:12 PM, edinmass said:

I very much would like to make about two dozen inappropriate comments.......but don’t want Peter G to get upset at me..........😜

6E383BBB-78C5-44B9-8F1C-5D90A0A7B6BE.png

I know a guy that has/had one of these. As far as I know he only tried it once and found it quickly got very scary. He was just displaying it when I saw it and wasn't willing to demonstrate it.

8 minutes ago, Jim Bollman said:

I know a guy that has/had one of these. As far as I know he only tried it once and found it quickly got very scary. He was just displaying it when I saw it and wasn't willing to demonstrate it.

I wasn’t thinking about riding the pogo stick...............

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Edinmass, back on what is now page 2 of this compressed thread, you posted a photo without comment, without identification.  Several type identifications have been associated with the vehicle.  One is Mercedes-Benz W31 G34, a second designation a 1939 Mercedes-Benz G34.  Is there a more definite identification or vehicle designation for this historical vehicle?

6EE90FA5-488C-415D-9AC9-770BEC1D1946.thumb.png.7759caa28601e00895b17f6fad9a5cbc.png

Mercedes-Benz W31 G34.jpg

Mercedes-Benz 006.jpg

2 hours ago, Cole motor car lover said:

970CE74D-5248-4CC0-A720-F882A537BCAC.thumb.jpeg.1449d9a8d9130b7fee3598f975ea223a.jpeg
here is another Cole. It’s a sport sedan with a custom body by willoughby.

Great Photo what was your source? I have that same photo that I got with all the original Willoughby material from their family files and believe recently I shared it with someone.

Walt

12 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Edinmass, back on what is now page 2 of this compressed thread, you posted a photo without comment, without identification.  Several type identifications have been associated with the vehicle.  One is Mercedes-Benz W31 G34, a second designation a 1939 Mercedes-Benz G34.  Is there a more definite identification or vehicle designation for this historical vehicle?

6EE90FA5-488C-415D-9AC9-770BEC1D1946.thumb.png.7759caa28601e00895b17f6fad9a5cbc.png

Mercedes-Benz W31 G34.jpg

Mercedes-Benz 006.jpg

Nothing I have.............many of the photographic libraries don't have any ID's associated with their photos. 

Courtesy of The Old Motor....

We are looking at what may be the only good images that have survived of John E. Meyer’s attractive and unique J.E.M. “Special” “Camping Phaeton.” Meyer, whose address is on the back of these photos, apparently lived or worked at 42 West 39th St in Midtown Manhattan in New York City.

The “Standard Catalog of American Cars” lists the J.E.M. Model “A” without a photo as being “built in 1922” and included in the 1923 “Automobile Reference Manual.” That publication lists it as having a “128 w.b.” chassis powered by a “six-cylinder Continental model 7R engine” and was a “two/four passenger” car with a selling price of “$2500.”

After a brief search for other photos, a patent, or additional information about this vehicle, nothing more was found. However, a 1902 patent was uncovered granted to a John E. Meyer of NYC for a wine cooler.

We assume this was a one-of-one Meyer might have had built to his specifications and then tried to patent its features with hopes cashing in on his ideas and producing and selling more of these “Camping Phaetons.” With the “Good Roads Movement”going on simultaneously as this car was constructed, auto camping and touring was a very popular activity at the time.

032E9E52-9BA2-4D9A-B3D7-6786570C5CD4.jpeg

3F4280CA-1587-4DBA-80DE-74E1F5339871.jpeg

• Like 3