Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

An interesting story posted today on a facebook page - The Jazz Age Vehicle Archive - .

I reckon the car will turn up as a 'what is it' sometime and people will be confused.

From Mary Ellen Marcy

"My grandfather, Stanley Dean Miller "Pop", built this touring car. He took a 1911 Cadillac chassis and converted it from RH to LH drive. He built the body from sheet metal and the roof from wood with stretched canvas. It was yellow. When the depression hit it was too expensive to buy tires for it, so it went to the scrapyard. What a shame. We consider this the foundation of our love of the car hobby. Truly a custom car.

He was a perfectionist and it runs in the family. He was also multi-talented. Cabinet maker, Machinist, Diesel Engineer, worked for Pan American on the China Clipper, worked for Barker Bros. in the commercial kitchen department and had something to do with installing a new kitchen in the Royal Hawaiian Hotel in Honolulu, HI. It's because of him that I have such a love of history."

Stanley Dean Miller gf of Mary Ellen Marcy.jpg

• Like 2

I knew I recognized the emblem (brass cutouts) on the radiators in a number of the photos above. I thought I knew what it was, but wanted to zoom in and make sure I remembered correctly. Several of the cars above are Corbin automobiles. I would wonder if a bunch of these photographs came from a common source? I am fairly certain the touring car pictured next to the Plymouth Rock monument is also a Corbin.

I went to my Kimes and Clark book to make certain I was spelling "Corbin" correctly (their emblem is distinctive in its indistinctiveness!), and as I passed "col" thought of Columbia electric. So, on a lark, I looked closer. There I found the manufacturer of the very interesting rear-driven electric Victoria pictured above that I like so much. It is identified as an 1899 Columbia Victoria Mark V. It appears to be a photo of the same car, probably in front of the same building, however moved a little way and taken from a different angle.

Anyone wanting to look at it, it is on page 356 of my third edition "Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1905-1942". The picture in the book is of poor quality, but interesting to compare to the wonderful image posted above.

Again Ed M, thank you for posting so many wonderful photos!

A46C9100-ACCE-4133-A4D0-963C993191DB.png

Edinmass posted this a page back. 

I don't think I have ever seen one of the Buick Bugs naked before. Getting a mite risque?

Looking at the men's attire, and a few details on the car (including tires), I question when the picture was taken. I would guess possibly the 1930s, or maybe even after WW2.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Edinmass also posted this on the previous page.

D273331C-1262-460D-9E91-9CD8C5EA963D.png

A Biddle I believe. Not many of those around. However a long-time friend has one. His is a 1915 sport touring car. It was custom built for a member of the Biddle family in '15. His is a very interesting car. No doors! There are step plates mounted on the frame and sides of the body to step up like a staircase, and over to get inside! It was the only one like it built. It sounds great also!

I am not familiar with the pictured car. But I would guess it to be maybe about two years newer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1