Period images to relieve some of the stress

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Same single cylinder Cadillac with updates? Bob 

That was what I wanted to ask?

When I have a few more minutes, I may ask/comment about a couple others.

• Like 1

A46C9100-ACCE-4133-A4D0-963C993191DB.png

Edinmass posted this a page back. 

I don't think I have ever seen one of the Buick Bugs naked before. Getting a mite risque?

Looking at the men's attire, and a few details on the car (including tires), I question when the picture was taken. I would guess possibly the 1930s, or maybe even after WW2.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Edinmass also posted this on the previous page.

D273331C-1262-460D-9E91-9CD8C5EA963D.png

A Biddle I believe. Not many of those around. However a long-time friend has one. His is a 1915 sport touring car. It was custom built for a member of the Biddle family in '15. His is a very interesting car. No doors! There are step plates mounted on the frame and sides of the body to step up like a staircase, and over to get inside! It was the only one like it built. It sounds great also!

I am not familiar with the pictured car. But I would guess it to be maybe about two years newer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Design inspiration arises from many sources, whether by design or pure serendipity, unity of styling features contributes to an appealing, pleasing appearance:

'15 Biddle frontal styling.png

'32 Packard Twin Six frontal styling.jpg

• Like 1
My grandfather, Stanley Dean Miller "Pop", built this touring car. He took a 1911 Cadillac chassis and converted it from RH to LH drive. He built the body from sheet metal and the roof from wood with stretched canvas. It was yellow. When the depression hit it was too expensive to buy tires for it, so it went to the scrapyard. What a shame. We consider this the foundation of our love of the car hobby. Truly a custom car.

885139177_120123840_4395496957189447_4925116431719725842_o(1).jpg.8da0b66a6ae9903246a8afb662e0e749.jpg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 9/26/2020 at 6:56 PM, edinmass said:

4C35C8D3-6763-4C98-8500-F6575EB8ECE1.png

This car is identical to a 1920 model 48 Velie except the frame has been lengthened. Even appears to be a V on the hubcaps. Those are Pasco wire wheels by the way. I believe it may have model 39 fenders on it. Any chance the California Car Company took stock model cars and lengthened and rebadged them and sold them as their own? I bet if you could see the car from the front, there would be a Velie radiator badge on it.

Ok, I went back and googled the California Motor Car Corp. Today they do sales and rentals of vintage vehicles. This car is called the "Club Express" Airport Model but it is undoubtedly a lengthened model 48 Velie. The model 48 styling stayed the same for three years, in 22 it had a nickel radiator shell. This car is most likely a 20 or 21, though with the modified body, I can't be certain. The Velies were well built cars, I know of one that was driven daily till up in the 50s.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Speaking of Auburns, just how well would this car be on off Interstate touring? I really like the looks of it, but don't know a thing about it. Bob 

BE9D5A61-908A-4FA4-9FFF-1CE66EACA334.thumb.png.35c1deca05a11bbde3aa5b292f27e1ca.png

They do pretty well for touring, but still 50-55 mph is tops for long term consistent driving.

Decent sized 8 cylinder engines

(but they did make a 6 cyl too and that does well enough as well as still decent horsepower and then a little less weight)

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

They do pretty well for touring, but still 50-55 mph is tops for long term consistent driving.

Decent sized 8 cylinder engines

(but they did make a 6 cyl too and that does well enough as well as still decent horsepower and then a little less weight)

With an overdrive or gear splitter they do fine. I was on several tours with one that was exceptionally well done.......and it drove fine. It kept up with everything else on the Caravan, and it was bone stock.

• Thanks 2
1 minute ago, edinmass said:

With an overdrive or gear splitter they do fine. I was on several tours with one that was exceptionally well done.......and it drove fine. It kept up with everything else on the Caravan, and it was bone stock.

Wire wheels really help the cause (you can get rid of that uncertainty feeling on front end a lot easier - still takes work, but a lot easier) as does having a competent engine rebuilt.   I have only worked with 8-90's  assume an 8-120 or 8-125 probably helps the cause too.   Good car too for overdrive as you have an open driveshaft.  Cars usually have pretty good gearing - as is. 

3 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Wire wheels really help the cause (you can get rid of that uncertainty feeling on front end a lot easier - still takes work, but a lot easier) as does having a competent engine rebuilt.   I have only worked with 8-90's  assume an 8-120 or 8-125 probably helps the cause too.   Good car too for overdrive as you have an open driveshaft.  Cars usually have pretty good gearing - as is. 

Thanks guys, that means a lot, not that I can fund another project, but it is good to know this is more than just a great looking car. Collecting literature & photos isn't out of reach. Was it made for several years, stock or custom body? Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)