Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

21 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Do we have any idea who the coachbuilder was of this Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost Cape Top Sport Phaeton?  Its pretty wild for that timeframe, note the upswept cowl, descending belt-line, low three-piece windshield and shape of the rear door opening.

'20's R-R Silver Ghost cape top sport phaeton.png

Sidenote: This is not a RR - it is a Roamer or something like that. 

• Like 3

The last for today - perhaps this week. Anyway the photo of the Hudson ( conv.?) coupe was dated 1944 and print was processed in Quincy, Mass.

the Rolls-Royce photo notes it is a 1926 Silver Ghost Opera coupe, and was taken by W.L. Snyder of University Heights, Ohio , no date but my guess is pre WWII or just postwar as the size/style of the paper and print was not used at least since the early 1950s.

Hudsoncoupe1920s001.jpg

RRcoupe1926001.jpg

RRcoupe1926Side001.jpg

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Walt G said:

The last for today - perhaps this week. Anyway the photo of the Hudson ( conv.?) coupe was dated 1944 and print was processed in Quincy, Mass.

the Rolls-Royce photo notes it is a 1926 Silver Ghost Opera coupe, and was taken by W.L. Snyder of University Heights, Ohio , no date but my guess is pre WWII or just postwar as the size/style of the paper and print was not used at least since the early 1950s.

Hudsoncoupe1920s001.jpg

RRcoupe1926001.jpg

RRcoupe1926Side001.jpg

Bill Snyder of Ohio was a good friend and recently passed away. His wife is still active in the CCCA. H was a Marmon 16 and Stutz guy.

• Thanks 1

Ed , I knew Bill and Christine Snyder well, I was active and belonged to CCCA when they did - I wondered if this was his car or not but if so it was many many decades ago and I don't recall him mentioning a RR in our conversation.

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Rolls-Royce photo notes it is a 1926 Silver Ghost Opera coupe, and was taken by W.L. Snyder of University Heights, Ohio , no date but my guess is pre WWII

My guess is your right and maybe a little earlier as I'm not seeing any power lines or poles in the background. Any kind of street lights either. 

5 hours ago, Walt G said:

The caption on this small snapshot says "Hispano-Suiza KC 1938" obviously the photo was taken in Europe someplace and I think the car on the right is a Peugeot ????

Any comments?

HispanoSuiza1938001.jpg

Car on the right is an early rear engined Renault 750 (aka 4CV)).  In production 1947-61. Later ones had a simpler "grille" but I'm not sure when the change occurred. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2020 at 10:58 PM, 1937hd45 said:

Walt, Thank you for mentioning the dual rear wheels, helped jolt my memory. That is General Pershing's Locomobile his WWI ride, here it is today. Bob 

OIP.jpg

I found a February 2nd, 1919 newspaper article with a photo of it and who his driver was:

Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 2.08.27 PM.png...

Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 2.17.02 PM.png

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gee, that worked...I'll try this mystery car. The radiator mascot looks very Gardner, but I can't place the car.

I ordered an illustration of a '26 Peerless Boat Tail Roadster at the Tatnuck Country Club from Walter Miller at autolit.com just before he closed the business....and he stuck in for free this image.

GARDNER.jpeg

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks Jeff! Yes, The Theater magazine , as well as The Spur and Country Life were all society magazines in the 1920s and early 1930s , large format the size of the Saturday Evening Post magazine of the same era and just about all had pages printed on coated stock paper - that allows great reproduction of photographs and today makes it easier to look at them. Matte finish paper was less expensive and had more acid content so deteriorated faster, just like newsprint. Today's lesson on paper types and sources to seek automotive information in non automotive publications is now over.

2 hours ago, jeff_a said:

Gee, that worked...I'll try this mystery car. The radiator mascot looks very Gardner, but I can't place the car.

I ordered an illustration of a '26 Peerless Boat Tail Roadster at the Tatnuck Country Club from Walter Miller at autolit.com just before he closed the business....and he stuck in for free this image.

GARDNER.jpeg

Looks to be a 1926 Gardner 8 cylinder car.

1926 Gardner.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

A couple for the weekend: The front of the Isotta Fraschini typo 8 wears a 1938 New Jersey license plate and has a much later bumper and bumper guards.

the Lincoln model L touring car is from a tiny snapshot (yellow marks are from scotch tape from 70 years ago)

the Cadillac V16 limousine is most likely in Canada as a handwritten note also says on the back Gordon Fairbanks.

IF in NJ1938001.jpg

LINCOLNmodelLfront001.jpg

CadV16limousine1937001.jpg

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 9/23/2020 at 4:02 PM, Walt G said:

Ed , I knew Bill and Christine Snyder well, I was active and belonged to CCCA when they did - I wondered if this was his car or not but if so it was many many decades ago and I don't recall him mentioning a RR in our conversation.

Walt, Bill Snyder owned that Rolls coupe in the early 50s.  The photo was taken in the driveway of the house he grew up in.   The car still exists somewhere and has been restored.   

• Thanks 2

Mercer - have more photos of this same car taken at the same time, all I need to do is find them.  Strange reflection in the front door, not sure what was near it enough to pick up the ? image. I love the rear spare tire carrier, note how low to the ground the bottom metal shield is that cups the tire.

MERCERrearview001.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 7:09 PM, edinmass said:

Two Springfield Mass cars.......very special. First needs no explanation, the second is a Knox Waterless, AKA “Old Porcupine”

EEBBC52E-130C-479E-BA89-ABB5EAF69573.png

31D5336E-AFB5-4A6A-B06F-ED820CFBF3C5.png

Second car is a White steamer, a model A or B, built in Cleveland (but maybe it was in Springfield when the photo was taken).

20 minutes ago, twin6 said:

Second car is a White steamer, a model A or B, built in Cleveland (but maybe it was in Springfield when the photo was taken).

Cant argue with that.......I have no clue, even though I’m a Knox club member for twenty years. 👍