Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

A very famous photo Of "Fatty" Arbuckle. The car is said to be a Pierce Arrow, a total custom built car just for the large actor. He is sitting there, with a dejected look because an actress he had an affair with had just died (shortly after they were together). Soon after this, he was arrested, briefly jailed, and then spent a couple years in and out of court being charged and tried for her death. He was eventually absolved of any (legal) wrongdoing.

The notoriety hurt his career, and he did a lot of work under pseudonyms for several years. Including William B. Goodrich (Will B Good)

In spite of his size, he was extremely light on his feet, and somewhat athletic. However, he died a few years later in a large part due to his size.

2 hours ago, jukejunkie1015 said:

Roscoe Fatty Arbuckle

Fatty .jpg

I met Minta Durfee Arbuckle at a screening of some Fatty Arbuckle films in the early '70s. She had spent many of her later years promoting Roscoe Arbuckle and his place in film history. She was quite charming even at over 80 years of age. (By the way, he hated the nickname "Fatty".) She also said that he was quite wonderful on a dance floor!

Edited by wayne sheldon
Additional thought. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The Flying Wombat looks like the coachwork was done by an aircraft fabrication shop............who was the designer.......besides the owner......and who built it?

26CC855E-7547-42D1-8CD1-65F693EC512E.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Read all you need to know about Wombats including their feces! They are not predisposed to flying instead are often roadkill on rural Australian roads and, because of the size of a larger one, an impact with one can sustain a fair amount of damage to the colliding vehicle.

2 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

This really is a great photo - notice the car has some customizing from the norm - no mascot, painted grill shutters, exhaust through the hood sides whether faux or real, and no addition of or deletion of wheel trim rings.   

There is a full story of that picture floating around somewhere.  On the forum?  I can't remember.

On 8/3/2020 at 9:52 AM, Walt G said:

Chrysler had a plant in Kew near London that made cars as well.

Ah yes, the "exported for assembly"  parts found their way to these types of plants..  

Many American manufacturers were able to beat the UK import restrictions at the time by assembling shipped, pre-made parts from the USA. Kew used a blend of US and British parts according to Thomas McPherson - The Dodge Story. 

I haven't found any in action photos of the Chrysler assembly plant yet but here are a couple of the Chevy assembly plant photos at the Colindale's plant..

chev2.jpg

chev.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I have never heard of any other place called Knebworth except the one in England, and as well that Herts. is an abbreviation for the name Hertsfordshire. The steering wheel location to me seems to be on the right side of the chassis as well. If it were on the left you would see more of the wheel in the photo through the windshield ( aka windscreen).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

There is a full story of that picture floating around somewhere.  On the forum?  I can't remember.

I hesitated to post what I found with the photo, which misidentified the car as a 1940 Buick Special.  The young lady was identified as Gloria Lupton.

3 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

This really is a great photo - notice the car has some customizing from the norm - no mascot, painted grill shutters, exhaust through the hood sides whether faux or real, and no addition of or deletion of wheel trim rings.   

Chrome was becoming harder to get by 1940.  The government placed it on the "endangered-species-list" due to war materials production.  After '41 when almost all automobile production stopped.   Auto accessories like spotlight and fog lights, that were normally chrome plated, were now only painted.😭

Capt. Harley😉

13 minutes ago, Captain Harley said:

Chrome was becoming harder to get by 1940.  The government placed it on the "endangered-species-list" due to war materials production.  After '41 when almost all automobile production stopped.   Auto accessories like spotlight and fog lights, that were normally chrome plated, were now only painted.😭

Capt. Harley😉

the Darrin Victoria was Packards most expensive semi-production car.  They all left the factory full of chrome unless a buyer specified otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's General George Patton in a big Packard during the VJ Day parade in Boston in 1945.  The Revere, MA fire department apparently traveled in style.  Every man in the crowd is wearing a proper hat, no backwards baseball caps.

1997618758_GeneralPattonVJdayparadeBoston1945.thumb.jpg.56841488b2b02b45813dc746b1d5d6f7.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The very image of Edwardian elegance, madame 'taking the air' with the landaulette folded down.  The chauffeur's gaze fixed on the road, not to be noticed.

Interesting that the spare wheel-tire is carried on a roof rack.  Never seen that before with a vintage car.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 6:38 PM, edinmass said:

The Flying Wombat looks like the coachwork was done by an aircraft fabrication shop............who was the designer.......besides the owner......and who built it?

This is one of the decent builds from B&S.

Which one of these two things is more attractive?

Pierce Arrow - Page 2 - CCCA - General - Antique Automobile Club ...

1938 Phantom Corsair: The Regret of a Car Ahead of Its Time ...

• Haha 1

On 8/8/2020 at 6:38 PM, edinmass said:

26CC855E-7547-42D1-8CD1-65F693EC512E.png

Ed,  I don't see that all of your questions about the "Flying Wombat" were answered. 
The car is on a Cord 810 platform and was designed by Maurice Schwartz and Rust Heintz of pickle family fame who commissioned it.  While it had the "Wombat" dubbing for the movie, in real life it is the Phantom Corsair, a one off.  A late friend who was a Cord expert here in Fairfax County, Va. worked on it in the late '40's or '50's when it was locally owned, and said he never could figure out why it was so fast.  It passed through various hands including Herb Schriner who made modifications to it.  A subsequent owner, probably Bill Harrah put it back to its original configuration.  I believe it still resides in what used to be Harrah's museum.

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

Bill Harrah did have the car restored to the way it was when new and yes, as of  2017 it attended the annual meeting ( was driven from the museum to be put on display in the hotel the club's annual meeting was in) of a club held in Reno.

• Thanks 1

AJ, have you ever seen the Wombat in person? The wheel is off center, so the 4 passengers in the front seat is a mess. It's not a car that was designed to be anything but a curisioty.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, edinmass said:

AJ, have you ever seen the Wombat in person? The wheel is off center, so the 4 passengers in the front seat is a mess. It's not a car that was designed to be anything but a curisioty.

Sounds like it is right in my wheelhouse!

• Haha 1