Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

46 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

JN Rollston 

1394239518_view(4).thumb.jpg.387675d0ec5124eab04df6c7fb6d5952.jpg

Well, which one is it? The list is very short, and the rumble seat lid has been changed over.........

• Like 2

These are original Press photos.  I sell most of my stuff,  but for some reason I held onto these.  Thought they might make a nice collage some day in the garage with the 2 original post cards. Well atleast the Thunderbolt ones.  Still not sure about the Newport. 

Way in the background of the Newport picture is a billboard advertising the new 1941 Plymouth. 

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

• Like 2

Oops - Auburn Cabriolet of 1931 (via lockring type wheels) and sporting accessory horns, a Pilot Ray driving lamp - albeit damaged, bumper guards, metal spare tire covers, sidemount spare tires,  wire wheels, driver's side fender parking guide, and a 1930-1932 Cadillac Goddess Mascot.

Universal Auto Insurance, Southern California, 1934

USC Digital library

download.jpg.5a9437b5175ad66356aa86400bd4fa2e.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

These are original Press photos.  I sell most of my stuff,  but for some reason I held onto these.  Thought they might make a nice collage some day in the garage with the 2 original post cards. Well atleast the Thunderbolt ones.  Still not sure about the Newport. 

Way in the background of the Newport picture is a billboard advertising the new 1941 Plymouth. 

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

That hardtop convertible sure has the lines of your Dodge in the profile pictures

990013873190205115.jpg.01a040a977d3429032756407a9b0b014.jpg

Technical difficulties with this one - someone want to give it a try - I think the  images would be true winners (they say 2 from 1932):

https://csl.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/discovery/fulldisplay?docid=alma990013873190205115&context=L&vid=01CSL_INST:CSL

https://calisphere.org/item/61a3b96979efb27efb2a809bed9eba70/

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Please note every Auburn in the last few pictures has black wall tires.

Fortunately in today’s modern times, that has been rectified with very nice wide white walls on most cars.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

1123715039_view(6).thumb.jpg.ab8d8856337c4de22656ff54852fb578.jpg

This is a photograph taken by photographer John Adams Davis in his favorite spot in Central Park in the middle of Manhattan. About 25 years ago or more I walked the park to find the spot and did indeed but it now looks nothing like it did 90 years ago as it is all overgrown , trees are much larger etc. View is looking North , car is a wonderful 16 cylinder Cadillac . I love the loop door handles . Car was most likely supplied by Uppercu Cadillac of Manhattan . Uppercu had a great sales showroom, but that has been replaced by some dreadful modern "improvement".

John , my friend, thank you for your effort to add to this post with some great photographs.

Sincere thanks to all of you for your efforts. Kinda proves that the interest in pre war period history is very very strong.

Walt

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1123715039_view(6).thumb.jpg.ab8d8856337c4de22656ff54852fb578.jpg

Walt, exactly where in Central Park is this location?   As you know, quite a number of cars were photographed at this location.   The rock formation should make the location not too hard to find if not completely overgrown.   There are several roads that cross Central Park running East/West.  Which one was this photo taken on?  

K8096 I will try to look up what road it is for you in Central Park , do not recall off hand what it is now. Have it marked down someplace . May take sometime and won't happen instantly as I am working on other projects,research etc. not just on cars.

Photos of other cars show office buildings in the background on the east side of the park that gave me the idea of what road it was when I was on location there to seek it out , but again it has been many years since I have done that.

Walt

11 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

PART 4: Old Motorcars. In first 3 parts of this post on the "Old Motorcars" book, I left out perhaps the very first of the great cars, this 1907 RR Silver Ghost, and many ordinary "non-car guys" idea of what an old car is, the beloved Model T, this one from 1911. Loving this whole thread, I've never collected old car photos, but am sure glad some of you have.

IMG_6180 (2).JPG

IMG_6181 (2).JPG

Books and other reports a half century ago often got the year wrong for cars and pictures. This model T is an early '15 Ford folding top Coupelette. It can't be a late '15 or '16 because it doesn't have the small oval porthole windows in the side of the folding top. It also is NOT one of the earliest Ford Coupelettes because I can see the deck lid on the top of the "turtle" back. The earliest coupelettes had a practically useless small door at the back of the turtle trunk. It did a better job keeping out the rain, but made it almost impossible to put much in the trunk. Ford did offer a fixed roof coupe for 1909/'10, but no coupe type factory bodies from '11 to '14 models.

And my snide comment (tongue firmly in cheek) for the night

8 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Oops

Universal Auto Insurance, Southern California, 1934

USC Digital library

download.jpg.5a9437b5175ad66356aa86400bd4fa2e.jpg

Maybe why Auburnseekers' fender was touched up? (No, it is not a convertible sedan!)

My thanks to all for a long and wonderful thread! (Especially Walt for starting it.)  I have enjoyed looking at all the wonderful pictures!

If I could figure out how to scan pictures myself (I used to do it, then the computer guru-geeks CHANGED the procedures!) I do actually have a couple somewhere I would like to share.

Wayne Sheldon said 'Books and other reports a half century ago often got the year wrong for cars and pictures. This model T is an early '15 Ford folding top Coupelette. It can't be a late '15 or '16 because it doesn't have the small oval porthole windows in the side of the folding top. It also is NOT one of the earliest Ford Coupelettes because I can see the deck lid on the top of the "turtle" back. The earliest coupelettes had a practically useless small door at the back of the turtle trunk. It did a better job keeping out the rain, but made it almost impossible to put much in the trunk. Ford did offer a fixed roof coupe for 1909/'10, but no coupe type factory bodies from '11 to '14 models." Thanks Wayne, only a very knowledgeable early Ford guy would have known. Some 56 years later I wonder how many caught that!  

A small  piece of paper stuck at the front of the book in the Great Britain section reads, "Erratum Slip. The publishers regret that the caption to the Bentley should read ..X... instead of ...Y..?" Can anyone guess what the correction should be, picture is on  page 15 of this wonderful thread.

10 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

Wayne Sheldon said 'Books and other reports a half century ago often got the year wrong for cars and pictures...……………………….

A small  piece of paper stuck at the front of the book in the Great Britain section reads, "Erratum Slip. The publishers regret that the caption to the Bentley should read ..X... instead of ...Y..?" Can anyone guess what the correction should be, picture is on  page 15 of this wonderful thread.

I confirmed my thoughts with a Google search, the 1928 8 Liter Bentley could not exist since the 8 liter was introduced on September 15, 1930. Bob 

25 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

Wayne Sheldon said 'Books and other reports a half century ago often got the year wrong for cars and pictures. This model T is an early '15 Ford folding top Coupelette. It can't be a late '15 or '16 because it doesn't have the small oval porthole windows in the side of the folding top. It also is NOT one of the earliest Ford Coupelettes because I can see the deck lid on the top of the "turtle" back. The earliest coupelettes had a practically useless small door at the back of the turtle trunk. It did a better job keeping out the rain, but made it almost impossible to put much in the trunk. Ford did offer a fixed roof coupe for 1909/'10, but no coupe type factory bodies from '11 to '14 models." Thanks Wayne, only a very knowledgeable early Ford guy would have known. Some 56 years later I wonder how many caught that!  

Usually a book's second or third printing corrects such errors or clarifies certain areas.

I love older books and magazines on vintages cars, but have found some from thirty or more years ago are now 'incomplete' with wrong production figures, or survivors, etc. This is especially so now with the proliferation of the internet where so much has been discovered in the past 20 years.

Craig

• Like 1

"I confirmed my thoughts with a Google search, the 1928 8 Liter Bentley could not exist since the 8 liter was introduced on September 15, 1930. Bob"

1937hd45 is close enough. Caption should read "4&1/2 liters instead of 8 liters". I'm thinking it is a 4.5L "Blower" Bentley based on the protected protrusion at front. Cheers and congrats Bob.

• Thanks 1

I enjoy the descriptions and a bit of text with each photo. John_Mereness would you consider going back and adding a line to some of yours for those of us who don't recognize the year/make/model/context. Your likely quarintined anyway, so what better to do on a Saturday!!!