Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

3 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Famous old Barney Pollard pictures!

BP.JPG

BP2.JPG

My grade 7/8 home room teacher showed us those pictures - it's partially his fault that I here cruising this forum and entirely his fault for introducing my family to Hershey  

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 3:39 PM, 3macboys said:

Picture

This is from the same site but from during the war.  I know that I've never seen trucks like these one.  Anyone know if any of these survived after the war?

Those are Canadian Military Pattern (CMP) trucks Type 11 cab field artillery  tractors. After the war,most of these that were sold off as surplus had the back of the body cut off and were used as wreckers,etc. The body was shared by both Ford and GM.I have seen one that has been rebuilt. Attached is a picture of a model kit.

Jim

CMP FAT.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A few grainy photos of a 34 custom Dietrich in rural Poland that I found on the net.  The car survived this miss treatment and it still with us today.

Throughly enjoying the topic - let's keep it up.  Everybody stay well

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 1.36.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 2.56.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 5.50.43 PM.png

• Like 2

The immortal Mercer Raceabout.  This one was just 2 or 3 years old when this photo was taken.  Then-owner Wally Holland later modified it with a tapered hood and a cowl, and presumably it's now gone.  It's a 1915 California plate - as far as I can tell, the available online CA registation books skip over 1915.

AACALib001.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2020 at 2:01 PM, 60FlatTop said:

Image result for picture from the shining

Did any one catch this? Jack Nicholson, The Shining. 1980. I know you all wish it was 1921 and those folks arrived in Duesenberg's, Auburns, and Cords to dance and party the night away. Drinking cheap bathtub gin distilled in an old car radiator. Guess that's why they are haunting the place. Dandy Dave!   

8 hours ago, J.H.Boland said:

Those are Canadian Military Pattern (CMP) trucks Type 11 cab field artillery  tractors. After the war,most of these that were sold off as surplus had the back of the body cut off and were used as wreckers,etc. The body was shared by both Ford and GM.I have seen one that has been rebuilt. Attached is a picture of a model kit.

Jim

CMP FAT.jpg

Canada made 500,000 of these in WW2, more than the total of all trucks made in Germany Italy and Japan. They were supplied to the British and Canadian military starting in 1939. Thousands remained in Britain after the war and some were in use up to the 1970s and 80s. They turn up all over the world wherever the British army went. There are even some in Australia.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Military_Pattern_truck

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Canada made 500,000 of these in WW2, 

Just to clarify,that number includes all CMP variants,not just field artillery tractors.

The Canadian Military Pattern trucks were so robust and reliable that they were prized by the Germans too. This is a type 11 cab 1500wt captured and repurposed with an anti-aircraft gun.

Type 11 CMP in German hands.jpg

• Like 2

We're in the height of mud season in Vermont, and the snowstorm we got overnight has added to the challenge of navigating back roads that are already soupy. Nothing new, the same problems plagued motorists a century ago.  Stress, what stress?

mud in Nebraska.jpg

534.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, twin6 said:

We're in the height of mud season in Vermont, and the snowstorm we got overnight has added to the challenge of navigating back roads that are already soupy. Nothing new, the same problems plagued motorists a century ago.  Stress, what stress?

mud in Nebraska.jpg

534.jpg

They could have used these !

Slides from carousels 2 036.JPG

Slides from carousels 2 034.JPG

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, twin6 said:

mud in Nebraska.jpg

534.jpg

I thought that top photo was taken at Hershey back before they paved it all,  but I did seem top notice a lack of vendors and pedestrians. 

22 hours ago, 8E45E said:

A Russell, I suspect, being in Toronto.

http://antique.vccc.com/Russell/archive/index.htm

Craig

In the long shot it looks like it could have a Russell shaped radiator, but the closer image shows that it's not. 

But thanks for mentioning my Russell site.  If anyone has any Russell images or information out there I'd love to hear about it.

Peter