Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

39 minutes ago, PFindlay said:

In the long shot it looks like it could have a Russell shaped radiator, but the closer image shows that it's not. 

But thanks for mentioning my Russell site.  If anyone has any Russell images or information out there I'd love to hear about it.

Peter

When I saw the zoom-in after, I then concluded it was not, but I chose not to delete it after seeing the one favorable response to the link.

Craig

I can add a few early photos from New Zealand that have been posted on various local facebook pages. Many have prompted much discussion.

The first subject is the only Ford Model K to be imported to NZ. The first photo is apparently the only known shot of it when it first arrived in about 1906-07. It failed to sell I think and just what happened to it for about ten years is unknown. What is known is that it was converted into a raceabout - see photo. It was entered for one of the early beach racing events on Muriwai Beach, near Auckland, but broke down on the way there. The car was subsequently broken up and the engine was put on display at AutoParts in Auckland. Its subsequent fate is unknown.

nz cars etc J Stokes Ford K.jpg

nz cars etc Ford K.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A photo taken in downtown Auckland new Zealand circa 1908-10. The facade of the hotel still exists although is now part of an office block.

The cars are both from circa 1907; a large Daimler - several of these came to NZ - and an Enfield. Note the logo on the radiator of the Enfield - a field gun - denoting the company's main products. 

Daimler and Enfield in Akl.jpg

• Like 1

The town of Hastings in Hawke's Bay on the east coast of the North Island of New Zealand.  The area was hit very hard by an earthquake in February 1931. The plate on the touring car on the left tells us the photo was taken between 1 July 1930 and 30 June 1931. As earthquake occurred in February 1931 it narrows the date down quite a lot.

In that era Buicks were about the biggest selling mid price car in NZ, although other makes were not far behind - Studebaker. Oldsmobile, Willys etc.

Hastings pre 31.jpg

• Like 1

A pair of Twin Six Packards, owned by Gibbs Motors of Nelson, photographed outside Downie's Hotel In Murchison in the South Island of New Zealand, probably in the early 1920s. The plates have the prefix WM for Waimea County which included the town of Nelson where these cars were based. Just how many Twin Sixes came to NZ in unknown - probably not very many - but it appears they were not available with right hand drive.

Gibbs Motors Twin Sixes Downies Hotel Murchison.jpg

• Like 1

One Twin Six that arrived in NZ has survived. Apparently it suffered a carburettor fire when near new. It was converted into a race car and competed in races at Muriwai beach in 1922, as the Mountain Road Special - named for the address of the owner. The parts were retained by various owners and it was restored in the 1980s. 

A7605 2.jpg

150757.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Still there!  If you go to this page, where the '34 pic came from,

https://waterandpower.org/museum/Early_Views_of_Hollywood_(1920_+)_7_of_12.html

there are a lot of other great cars and buildings, and a link to a Google street view of the Berman Furs building now - 9169 Sunset Blvd.

Edited by StanleyRegister
corrected "whwre" (see edit history)
  • Like 2

A 1908 Franklin Model H in front of the Old State House (then state capitol) in Little Rock with Acting Gov. X.O. Pindall as the front seat passenger.  The Little Rock Auto Co. (the main target of my research) began advertising these Franklins in the summer of 1908.  Almost 30 years later Gov. Pindall meets an unfortunate end just a few blocks from where this photo was taken.  

old-state-house-history-913.jpg

Daily_Arkansas_Gazette_Thu__Jun_11__1908_.jpg

1908_Franklin_Model_H.jpg

Hope_Star_Wed__Jan_2__1935_.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coachJC said:

autoshow pic.jpg

This photo is really unusual in fact that there is a 1933 Cadillac V-16 Madam X sedan on the floor and until photo showed up most everyone thought 1932 was the last year for the Madam X body styles (note the stainless frames around the window sills). 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1