Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Here's another group of then and now shots.  In 1997 my father drove his 1912 REO across Canada, re-creating the first ever Trans-Canada auto trip.  Wherever possible, we found the same spot, on the same date, and re-did the photo.

1. Eastern Passage, Nova Scotia (Atlantic Ocean)

REO1.thumb.jpg.ce04a296388b8101ec5d90ee8743b4df.jpg

2. Frank Slide, Alberta REO2.thumb.jpg.34fc61df5ee430fa30cdc9cb28be36ba.jpg

3. Victoria, BC. (Pacific Ocean)

REO3.thumb.jpg.24473788f485d15341d6aa9fcaf6170c.jpg

Edited by PFindlay (see edit history)
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

Another interesting note on Hitlers car had 18 coats of paint on it. Hitler would have it painted black for parades then green for field trips.

The way I heard it, there were many photos of Hitler in parades and on official occasions in an open Mercedes limousine, a dark blue one for civilian occasions and an olive drab one for military reviews and parades. After the war his car was found and closely examined, it turned out that Hitler had only one armor plated open Mercedes limo and it had been repainted 6 or 7 times, alternating blue and olive drab.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Rusty_OToole said:

The way I heard it, there were many photos of Hitler in parades and on official occasions in an open Mercedes limousine, a dark blue one for civilian occasions and an olive drab one for military reviews and parades. After the war his car was found and closely examined, it turned out that Hitler had only one armor plated open Mercedes limo and it had been repainted 6 or 7 times, alternating blue and olive drab.

The museum in Sinsheim has a number of Mercedes from high ranking Nazi's, which was interesting (and a bit morbid) - the museum is worth checking out for people that find themselves in that part of the world lots of cool cars and aircraft (though it was stinking hot the day we were there) 

Dandy Dave said

"Sounds like the prototype Marmon Roadster that Louie Iachino had. It was stored in a local chicken coupe in pieces and was thought to have been scrapped years ago."

It may be Dandy D. I know it came from back East somewhere, and it had been stored badly for many years, eventually I was told in pieces in a basement. When I first saw it, it was really rough, sort of put together and held together with bailing wire.

An amazing story I would like to tell (and I think I am safe in doing so as it is known by quite a few people in the area). About fifteen years ago, it was down outside San Diego Califunny being restored by one of the smaller high quality restoration shops West of the Mississippi. Allan Schmidt was nearly finished with the car when one of Califunny's nasty wildfires threatened  a huge area. Allan had moved a lot of his things, some of his cars and family heirlooms to a safe area some distance away. At first, it was just for safety's sake, they thought the fire would miss them, and being in a steel building thought the shop was likely safe. Then the wind shifted. With very little warning, they had to leave! His truck and trailer were ready, but the trailer was empty. In a moment's decision, Allan loaded the Marmon onto his trailer and ran with it!

Their place took the brunt of the inferno. They lost the home that had been in his family for a hundred years, the metal shop and nearly everything in it, along with several of his own horseless carriages (there was a short article of his losses in the HCCA Gazette a few months later). But because he cared enough to take the few minutes he had to grab someone else's car (insurance would have covered the financial loss), this particular car survives still. And it is Beautiful!

Edited by wayne sheldon
Added quote (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

That is impressive.

An even more impressive before and after was this one from 2013 - same hotel, same actual car.

https://automiddleeast.com/2013/05/20/news/after-100-years-alpine-trial-rolls-royce-returns-to

100 years ago: Radley's Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost at Brown's Hotel

'The Best Car in the World' returns to Brown's Hotel in 2013

Dud and Pete awaiting instruction by the front door? For those with long memories of British TV comedy.

I like how the driver got shorter and everyone else taller in the modern pic.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Walt G said:

Great to see the Studebaker identified , thank you. I knew it was a Studebaker but am not familiar enough with Studebakers  to know what model. NOW can anyone tell me who made the body? It was not Studebaker! This photo was with many many other in a huge amount of period photographs that I bought decades ago and came from the archives of the body/coach  builder .  Note the loop /oval door handles.

I am currently in the middle of a history of that body/coach builder which will appear in Hemmings Classic Car magazine eventually.

Walt, Good likelihood the body was made by Willoughby Co. Utica, NY.  Their specialties was large sedans, limousines and town cars.  They built series bodies for a variety of carmakers including Studebaker.  Known for their high quality products, Willoughby would be a first choice for Studebaker to turn to for bodies for their top-of-line Big Six.

• Like 1

Yes, indeed, the body on the Studebaker was made by Willoughby. Co. of Utica, NY. That same company did a fair number of sedan bodies for Cole automobiles as well. As mentioned the story of Willoughby is in the process of being written. I think I perhaps mentioned a while ago here that a good amount of Willoughby factory photographs of their coachwork I acquired at an antique show held in Bouckville, NY about a dozen miles south of Utica. , this was over 20 years ago . Many photographs are mounted in albums and in ink on the inside of the front cover is Francis Willoughbys signature.

• Like 1

While no where near exotic and unusual as these original pictures Mr Earl Started a thread on Buick advertising,  which might be worth a look to some.  I posted over 100 old ads from the 30's through 50's with alot being prewar from my collection. I have lots more Caddy, Lincoln, and Lasalle stuff even a Duessy piece but that tread is devoted to Buick. 

Yestarday i got together with my friend and he rescue this picture from his sister .He's Grand dad on the wheel on the fist Automovile in the town he Found it. due to a petrol ststion and garage shop he opened on that time ..looks like 20's .

At first he told me to look at a picture he had with a car just like mine ..but zooming inn looks like a Chevrolet .

they all when for a drive over the sorrounding hills of his small town in Cordoba Argentina.

20200327_134015.jpg