Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

December picnic: Walter with Ise and Manon Gropius in his 1931 Adler cabriolet (

F4.large.thumb.jpg.4ff1941049d1cfa5252e1fb0733bfd5a.jpg

Unrelated photo, but this is interior of a 1931 Adler

871083552_view(3).thumb.jpg.a498c43b354d60bbfed231c2a53ca148.jpg

Suitable car for an architect.

2 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

I am guessing a photo taken in the  the 1950's or 1960's

1518250726_view(4).thumb.jpg.775481ef8ad96623f5831e46b1c29347.jpg

Shal I take it for a drive to celebrate a new found photo? It’s due to get out of the garage..........

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Get on down to Samuel Finkelman Chrysler-Plymouth, see what kind of deal you can make for that '31 Pierce-Arrow Model 42 convertible coupe with the Derham-derived styling.

'30s  CAR LOT NYC GREENWICH VILLAGE AUTOMOTIVE SALES SIXTH AVE & WAVERLY.jpg

If you are a member of the PAS practically this exact car is for sale on their website

This car is really interesting - this European bodied Ford is currently on the for sale page and they are having trouble identifying it, but I stumbled into photos of one on alamy.com and turns out on a fluke via its original owner to be perhaps one of the most photographed pre-war cars in Europe:

Ein Ausflug nach Würzburg, Deutsches Reich 1930er Jahre. A trip to Würzburg, Germany 1930s Image ID: 2A2JKEG

2A2JKEG.thumb.jpg.9ffeb97e6499453dc0e4a19562c66280.jpg

Anika Winter 

- Image ID: 2A2JJWR

2A2JJWR.thumb.jpg.bcad603324842256245805905db00213.jpg

Anika Winter 

- Image ID: 2A2JJK4

2A2JJK4.thumb.jpg.c9ba862eccefb5489749cff22ee8f03c.jpg

2A2JMRA.jpg

Eine Reise nach Kitzingen, Deutsches Reich 1930er Jahre. A trip to Kitzingen, Germany 1930s. 

- Image ID: 2A2JMRM

2A2JMRM.thumb.jpg.92268450fc689ac3454b6832444e404d.jpg

Eine Reise nach Kitzingen, Deutsches Reich 1930er Jahre. A trip to Kitzingen, Germany 1930s. 

- Image ID: 2A2JMJE2A2JMJE.thumb.jpg.5987cfc3829d7c386663d9be0d026e7a.jpg

sbardin

•  
  •  
  • Members
  • 44 posts
Posted March 5 (edited)

A friend asked me to post this for him.Quite a rare car.It is LHD.German origin and shipped early in its life to Africa. Found in Senegal (Africa ) a few yrs ago by a French Military Officer.When the car was shipped there I do not know.That owner had work done while he was stationed there and brought it to France when his tour ended.The engine (24 stud)was rebuilt there and runs good.Body and paint was done a couple yrs ago in France.A new Mallory style electronic ign,coil and new plugs and wires were installed.Carb is a rebuilt Stromberg 97.Still has the orig mechanical brakes. These are all the pics I have for the moment.Grille looks more like a '37.I just saw a copy of the title It says first registered in 1938 also noted is V8 68.It does run and drive and licensed and registered in France.Lots of play in the steering and pops out of 2nd. Restoration needs to be redone or finished.Restored correctly it would be  outstanding.All the special parts appear to be there.It was never a rust bucket.It is in France near Orange.Shipping not a problem.It was taken in on a trade deal and he is wanting to move it down the road.Make an offer.Realistic Value? 10,15,20,25K ?

German bodied 35 Ford 1a.jpg

German bodied 35 Ford 2.jpg

German bodied 35 Ford 3.jpg

German bodied 35 Ford dash.jpg

German bodied 35 Ford Hood ornament.jpg

German bodied 35 Ford Top mechanism.jpg

German bodied 35 Ford wheel.jpg

Edited March 22 by sbardin 
Added more info (see edit history)
Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Joe,

Those three photos of the loaded trucks/cars look like the same people that are two rows over from me in the Red Field at Hershey each year. Nice people, they usually sell the tin soda cans that are hung from the front axle under the golf carts that transport people around the flea market fields. Have a service to tune up the can to make the exact right pitch of clink and clang as they drag along the pavement! They even are like the wood nickels given out - have a year on them etc.

Walt

17 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

I am guessing a photo taken in the  the 1950's or 1960's

1518250726_view(4).thumb.jpg.775481ef8ad96623f5831e46b1c29347.jpg

The reason that this and some of the other photos from the Detrioit Public Library are available is because somebody else that works for Ed's boss flew up there and spent the day combing through negatives,  then paid to have a bunch of stuff scanned.   As soon as somebody pays to have something scanned,  the Library puts them on its website.   I get that,  but I could see the dude that spent about 14 hours one day traveling and researching being slightly bummed if the photos make them back to his client via the internet before he has a chance to hand them over.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Richard Lamphere and his family roamed the US for years in his 1930 Franklin, from Vermont to Tennessee to Canada. Roadside en route to Wyoming in 1961.
43690.jpg 43689.jpg
A family dinner in the wilds, with the trunk as table.

This car now is owned and being Renewed, by Sunny Baba... Back on the road as it gets a second or third life, as a daily driver........😉 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

The reason that this and some of the other photos from the Detrioit Public Library are available is because somebody else that works for Ed's boss flew up there and spent the day combing through negatives,  then paid to have a bunch of stuff scanned.   As soon as somebody pays to have something scanned,  the Library puts them on its website.   I get that,  but I could see the dude that spent about 14 hours one day traveling and researching being slightly bummed if the photos make them back to his client via the internet before he has a chance to hand them over.

I wish I had known - I like a good surprise too (I recall a lot of planned surprise as to your REO photos) - the good news is a properly developed photograph is 100 time better usually than a print after watered down via websites.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 2

January 3rd, 1911 is referred to as "the night that Little Rock burned".  After that in the papers you can tell that the city was actively working to improve their firefighting apparatus.  This car modified for fire service was likely part of that effort.  Until finding the newspaper clipping I thought perhaps it was an Overland roadster but given the description there I think it is the E-M-F mentioned, perhaps a 1910 with four front fenders.

LRFD.jpg

Daily_Arkansas_Gazette_Thu__Aug_15__1912_.jpg