Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

2 hours ago, JonathanSierakowski said:

IMG_0554.JPG

Jonathan,

A belated welcome to our FORUM, and thank you for the submission - impressive and important that items like this are made available.

Hope your career change remains positive,

and thanks again for your help when my cousin Ron bought his '30 Packard 733 Phaeton a few years back at Hershey

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

The reason that this and some of the other photos from the Detrioit Public Library are available is because somebody else that works for Ed's boss flew up there and spent the day combing through negatives,  then paid to have a bunch of stuff scanned.    As soon as somebody pays to have something scanned,  the Library puts them on its website.   I get that,  but I could see the dude that spent about 14 hours one day traveling and researching being slightly bummed if the photos make them back to his client via the internet before he has a chance to hand them over.

Thank god you are doing this work -  the photos are lucky to survive and so many that are in archives are in negative form, slide form, improperly sized, mis-indexed, someone focused on a "best" photo for prior publication with a series of related often being better detail when restoring a car, life happening over time - some close calls with disasters and just age/time, and very-very unfortunately theft, plus there are the private side collections facing very much the same challenges.

I think we should all be thankful the Detroit Public Library itself survived the big mess Detroit got itself into post 1967.

Just imagine what would have been lost, looking some of the other public buildings in and around the area, including several schools, fire halls, police detachments, et al. 

Craig

23 minutes ago, alsancle said:

"Road trip!"

I hope most of you can get the reference.

My dad owned one of these for a few years back in the 80s.  His best friend and I drove it from Boston to Hersey down 81 right at 80mph.

My grandparents' were Lincoln and Mercury fans and the cars gave them good service for years and years, but I doubt dad will ever get near a Lincoln or Mercury again as he said they generally always ran and were beautiful cars, but something was wrong with them all the time.  

Funny Story:  a friend recently was discussing that Lincoln would now be offering door service and coming to your home - my dad looked at him and said it was a great loss the service was not always in place as his parents' were loyal Lincoln - Mercury fans and he doubted they ever stepped foot in a dealership; and had the dealer not brought new cars out to their house to try and had not done pick-up and delivery of cars from their garage for service that would have been the last day my grandparents' ever owned one. 

My Great Aunt and Uncle (my dad's mother's sister and her husband) were that way with Chrysler (Imperials) and their dealer also came to them. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

5 hours ago, JonathanSierakowski said:

IMG_0554.JPG

yes that’s correct. I saw the photos online before they were sent to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

These are by Boulevard Photographic and in Detroit Public Library Collection. And while I love the 30's car photos I also love these.

I wasn’t aware they made cars after 1938............just saying.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, edinmass said:

yes that’s correct. I saw the photos online before they were sent to me.

There are some really cool photos on that table - I am jealous. 

The Moffitt Collection is a key to the book "Cars with Personalities" and always wondered where the photos were. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Just relocated in my library a booklet put out as a parody by the local Lincoln dealer in about 1927. Dealer was Roslyn Motors ( located on the north shore of

long island - they also had two other dealer locations) and they had quite a few well aimed cartoons at their rivals in car sales. All in jest with not meant to be mean. Here is one they did on R-R.

I know it is not a period photo but thought it may give you a smile.

1926RRparodycartoon001.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yet another ( from that same Lincoln booklet)  - someone was really creative and had a great sense of humor when it was created.  I think every Packard owner ( including me) should have one of these on display in the windshield of their car. If your Packard has a second windshield for the back seat or a division window then one should be posted there as well - period authenticity counts. !!!!😏

1926 Packardparodycartoon001.jpg

• Haha 1

Elaine B. Barry stands in a field next to an automobile with passengers inside, while attending the Monmouth County Horse Show, Rumson Country Club, Rumson, New Jersey. She hold a folded newspaper. She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bartholomew J. Barry of Rumson Road, Rumson, New Jersey. (Photo by Bert Morgan/Morgan Collection/Getty Images)

gettyimages-3201734-2048x2048.thumb.jpg.9bcdce028c861f4cba42a4813d9883f6.jpg

The 1935 Automobile Show at Grand Central Palace, New York City, offering a new line of glittering, streamlined models for public inspection. Photo shows a prospective young lady purchaser inspecting the Airflow De Soto. She is interested in the hood which opens from the front instead of from the side.

gettyimages-515588998-2048x2048.thumb.jpg.d8adb71dd2425eb59889b61a005dcf97.jpg

View of the Rolls Royce automobile owned by Chicago Defender publisher Robert Abbott, and its chauffeur, outside the Abbott house, located at 4742 Martin Luther King Drive, in Chicago, IL, early twentieth century. (Photo by The Abbott Sengstacke Family Papers/Robert Abbott Sengstacke/Getty Images)

gettyimages-109698816-2048x2048.thumb.jpg.8b31ca5ae2e3073d4f8e6a5c9930b54e.jpg

• Like 1

Honolulu businessman Nolle R. Smith (1888 - 1982) stands outside the home of Chicago publisher Robert Abbott, Chicago, IL, 1930. Smith was elected District Governor for Hawaii's 50th District in 1937. (Photo by The Abbott Sengstacke Family Papers/Robert Abbott Sengstacke/Getty Images)

gettyimages-109714856-2048x2048.thumb.jpg.83b8d3e466d7e474b254c42e3d2c1bda.jpg

• Like 1