Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

2 minutes ago, alsancle said:

This is scanned from my personal negative.   You guys should be able to figure out what is on the right.

IMG_20190521_0002.jpg

1938 Dodge Brothers touring sedan.

On 3/18/2020 at 3:16 PM, md murray said:

Springfield company that specialized in "water heaters & steam traps". Any of the Mass guys know if this one got saved? I'm guessing probably not, it certainly looks as if they worked it pretty hard.

truck.jpg

I would give that truck a good home.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, alsancle said:

This is scanned from my personal negative.   You guys should be able to figure out what is on the Left.

IMG_20190521_0002.jpg

We sold one just like it, or that possibly was it (only three were built and only one on a V8 chassis). Both cars have wheel discs--they were removed but included with our car, which was originally owned by Elizabeth Arden and then given to her chauffeur on her passing. Hard to tell in either of the photos, but she specified that there be no manufacturer logos or markings on the car.

001.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

We sold one just like it, or that possibly was it (only three were built and only one on a V8 chassis). Both cars have wheel discs--they were removed but included with our car, which was originally owned by Elizabeth Arden and then given to her chauffeur on her passing. Hard to tell in either of the photos, but she specified that there be no manufacturer logos or markings on the car.

001.jpg

A friend and I did this 1936 Cadillac V-8 Town Cabriolet

f435247cae1400531316ae4e73fb128f.jpg

35205388073_5a1a187a65_b.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

Paris Auto Show

large.thumb.jpg.cdc4e154942243cd47dd9fadb431f372.jpg

If this isn't a field of dreams, I don't know what is!  A '36 Packard Eight town car by perhaps Kellner, a Packard 120 pillarless touring coupe with sunroof and elegant sweep panel.  Anyone recognize the coachbuilder?  Democratic with the DeSotos back-to-back with Rolls_Royces.  The Airflow that grabs attention is the trunkless giant with the four-tier rear bumper: an early Custom Imperial CW.  The bumper was a 1934 only item, suppose the expensive CW was a tad hard to sell at the time.  MG fellows, tell us what those are beyond the Packards, are they TA models? 

I have really enjoyed this thread, guys. There are some really amazing photos.  Here is one from my family archive.  as kids, we referred to it as the "flyingcar"

347993539_FlyingCar.thumb.jpeg.768f49e180d0276aed5c4b5acc242f95.jpeg

This is an early 1930s Pierce Arrow which belonged to my great grandmother (her husband and father-in-law were both successful saloon owners in downtown Pittsburgh, PA) and is being loaded aboard a transatlantic liner for a trip to Europe.  Not only did my GGM  take her car for touring, she also took her chauffeur with her to Europe since she did not drive. They sailed, probably from New Yrk, to Bremen and then toured through Germany and Austria.  Then everything got shipped back to Pittsburgh.

• Like 5

Detroit Public Library Photo collection:  Nighttime view of a display window at the Auburn Automobile Company dealership. Car is visible through windows, with umbrella table, sand, chaise lounge and facsimile of a beach house; "Auburn, 1935" signs displayed in window. Stamped on back: "Studio of John Adams Davis, Printing Crafts Building, 461 Eighth Ave., New York. Medaillon 3-5030. For duplicate of this title, refer to negative number 17L1." Handwritten on back: "Dealers--Auburn. Window display."

view.thumb.jpg.2e439e8477b57165785e43347d8e74cb.jpg

307897979_view(211).thumb.jpg.d1883fd8b2b685fe10f2bb56b50f4339.jpg

In case anyone is wondering - the fancy tires are Martin brand 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 3

John Adams Davis was one of the major commercial photographers of automobiles in Manhattan. His rival was Nathan Lazernick , but Lazernick was mostly finished with his work by the mid to late 1920s and was on the scene before Davis was . You see a lot of photographs of brass era motor cars with Lazernick's  stamp on the back of them. Most all of both men's work was done with glass plate negatives.  Davis had a favorite spot in Central Park with a large hill often seen behind the cars . It was located on an east/west roadway in the park, and the location was used often on JAD's work in the 1927-32 era. Location was well north of Central Park South and Columbus Circle area.

Neither men took a lot of photographs indoors at auto shows or salons.

Edited by Walt G
added information to clarify (see edit history)
  • Like 2

777219311_view(5).thumb.jpg.5c1d6243364079860e7a935ab371781d.jpg

Nighttime view of the showroom at the Auburn Automobile Company dealership in Detroit, Michigan. Cars are visible through windows; neon "Auburn" signs displayed in windows. Label on back: "Night view of the Auburn Detroit Company's showroom at 4240 Cass Avenue, taken during the formal opening." Handwritten on back: "Dealers, Auburn, 1935."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

I would give that truck a good home.

Well, The photo was taken on State Street in Ludlow Mass, my hometown of fifty years. I can tell you if the Packard exists, I have never seen it. I have heard a rumor of a similar vehicle in New England, but can not prove it’s veracity.

• Like 3