Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Here is one of the Buffalo Wire wheel company from the late 20's? Not sure of the exact date.  I cleaned out an old Camp in Long Lake that had changed hands a few times.  It dated from around 1900.  They were tearing down a large boat house that had nice game room upstairs with a Large Mahogany desk in it full of stuff from the 50's back.  I ended up with the desk as no one wanted it and while going through it found an embossed binder from the buffalo wire wheel company with a bunch of handwritten notes about shares in the company.  I still have it somewhere. I use the desk daily.  While cleaning out other "junk" from the upstairs There was a framed picture of I believe it was the apollo moon landing.  It was just a nothing special poster,  but behind it fell out,  Almost in the water as we were throwing stuff in the dumpster,  this set of photos.  Not sure why or how they ended up there but it most likely saved them from getting tossed earlier and preserved them to a degree.  It's kind of neat being a car guy and using the Presidents Desk and knowing the history behind it. (that's what the notes in the binder indicated)  Unfortunately I don't have anything else from the Company other than a few letters to him about his boat engine from the redwing engine company.  

Unfortunately the photos show more the employees than actual manufacturing but still neat from a day long gone by. 

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0510.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I want to thank Walt G. for starting this thread and getting me to look a little bit closer at some of these pics that I grabbed out of the damp basement of my mom and dads house 25yrs ago so they did not get destroyed.

My wife and I just kind put them in (6) photo albums and they have sat in a closet but this has gotten me to actually look and really see what is in the pictures and share some of the more interesting photos and not just boring old Model Ts...LOL.

Most of the pics are between 1957-1963 and the one I attached here must be from 1963 when dad just bought the 33 Studebaker. The first thing he had to do was put new tires on it and those look like new Firestone's.

The pic is in front of his garage which at this time was still owed by my Grandfather as I see the sign still says Ken Carter on it. Dad still goes up there every day.

33 Stude infront of Garage.jpg

• Like 4

PART 1: Old Motorcars. First I also want to thank Walt G. for starting this thread. A couple of years ago I noticed this book being sold  locally on kijiji, published by Ariel Press London in 1964, large format illustrations 12"x16" on high quality "frameable paper". While I have about 400 hardcover automotive books, this is my favorite illustrated one. Most of the highly desirable cars are included, 1/2 dozen from England, France, Germany, Italy, USA, etc, and spanning 1900-1936, also my favorite era for old cars. Begging your indulgence, I will post a few of the best there are on the planet! 

IMG_6179 (2).JPG

IMG_6175 (2).JPG

IMG_6176 (2).JPG

IMG_6177 (2).JPG

20 hours ago, alsancle said:

Would rather see the 8 cylinder Hupp than the 48 Town and Country.

This is from the 33 Motor Annual and show the complete line.   I tried to buy one of the very few convertible coupes 10 years ago.   I think there is 2 or 3 floating around.    The 3 window brought really good money (like 100k).

1933-Hupp.jpg

Here is a good looking Hupp

25882664_large(10).thumb.jpg.5dc6caef69ae54484f9220bb84a56cbf.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/19/2020 at 12:34 PM, John_Mereness said:

This is out of the family photo album - when we see it passed around you know where it originated (it was not a family owned car - must have been friends) 

1931 Auburn Cabriolet - sporting optional wire wheels and dual sidemounts, as well as Firestone Whitewalls 

SCAN_PIC0001.thumb.jpg.6ed2aa6f1702f081fdfc5825b16bd481.jpg

And a near twin to it - notice car in top photo has Firestone brand tires and I believe the lower photo sports I believe BF Goordrich Silvertowns 

578266111_large(9).thumb.jpg.b6d8f0ec0ecb0d90415259023fc885d0.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

90241189_587415371984180_609506621520871424_n.jpg.6a2dd78b1aa56a7fa69b4d04a9a413dc.jpg

Thank you for posting so many fine photos. Any background on this one? Are those twin little flag masts on either side of the grille like they would use in a parade? Also, what's protruding from right front fender? A sight indicator?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, md murray said:

Thank you for posting so many fine photos. Any background on this one? Are those twin little flag masts on either side of the grille like they would use in a parade? Also, what's protruding from right front fender? A sight indicator?

I do not have the history - yes, I would say parade flags on the radiator shell, a parking guide on the passenger's side front fender.  Someone good with badges should be able to identify the three on it - One on the pilot ray cross bar and two below the Pilot Ray.

This Cord features:  Pilot Ray, Stone Guard, License plate frame, Lyon Sidemount Covers, Roscoe Mirrors, Spotlamp, Double Whitewall Tires, and the aforementioned Fender Parking Guide (not sure if a factory option or not) and the flag holders probably would have been a non-factory add on.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Al and John - re the cycle fendered Hupp- at the Ridgefield, Ct. HCCA annual meet in Sept. there used to be a guy that had a wonderful tan colored ,cycle fendered Hupp either a victoria coupe or sedan. ( OK Bob jump in here with who it was) and it was one of the few Cycled fendered Hupmobiles I ever saw in person and certainly the best one. I remember talking with the fellow who owned it and we kept in contact and I do recall him selling it after many years but this was all 30 or more years ago. I also remember at the time I wish I had the $ and space to be able to buy it. OUTSTANDING looking automobiles.

Walt

PS It is very gracious of all of you to make personal contact to thank me for starting this thread, but hey everyone I am enjoying what you post just as much as you are enjoying what is here . 🤩

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

Here is a good looking Hupp

25882664_large(10).thumb.jpg.5dc6caef69ae54484f9220bb84a56cbf.jpg

Are those general jumbo's?

I think there are 3 or 4 known coupes.   There was a guy on the forum with one.   The red one was sold a couple of times at the Hershey auction.

One of the Hupp guys on the forum had the remains of a convertible coupe.

• Like 3

PART 4: Old Motorcars. In first 3 parts of this post on the "Old Motorcars" book, I left out perhaps the very first of the great cars, this 1907 RR Silver Ghost, and many ordinary "non-car guys" idea of what an old car is, the beloved Model T, this one from 1911. Loving this whole thread, I've never collected old car photos, but am sure glad some of you have.

IMG_6180 (2).JPG

IMG_6181 (2).JPG

Photo of a 1951 New Hampshire licensed raggy Auburn 851/852 Phaeton - the top is replaced, running board stainless molding long gone, missing hood sides headlights painted, and ..., the bumper with incorrect center bolt, incorrect front bumper, the exhaust/tailpipes have been modified, but it still retains the pin-striping.

download.thumb.png.a2fa0a68d4c509a4efe18223bfe82056.png

1109219789_download(1).thumb.png.3d2329ccb2c1d40c777baf9001118cce.png

• Like 2