Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

Looks like The Strip outside an Army base (Golden Eaggle, Navy would be Golden Anchor)

My new Newspapers.com account has been good for solving such mysteries.  That name seems to have been common for bars.  They're all over in various papers -- Lebanon, Pa., Glen Falls, N.Y., Detroit, Salinas, Ca., Brooklyn, and others, but my guess based no the surroundings would be the one in Santa Fe.  Maybe someone with a little more time on their hands and a better knowledge of the area can take it from there.

15 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I don't know anything about these photos.  They came in a box of photos i bought because they were cool old car photos. The first is obviously an Auburn Coupe but the rest I'm not sure of.  

IMG_0130.JPG

This is a 1931 Auburn Coupe in an Eight - and it is in standard trim = painted backshells on the lights, no chrome trim on the running boards either  - I would say the second set of tires - the first set is probably on the front left wheel and was moved from a sidemount or they wanted to wear it more before moving a new tire to front wheel. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Was it restored to a dark color?   I would take that over a Darrin,  since there is only one.  Pretty cool.

Nope, it was done in its original everything as to color - the only difference was that we re-created the opalescent paint using a super fine metallic (verses I assume fish scales) and the metallic cost a literal fortune - painter (who is one of the better on the globe) said the most miserable paint to spray he ever did and an engineer had to come out to help him (literally you could see every movement of his hand/gun on first try). His departing words were: "do not chip it as I will charge you $2,500 for a small chip and $5,000 for a large one." 

28685500_2013340945613300_4032645944989188096_n.thumb.jpg.49c33772607492035db2cb02038b9aec.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

And a Cord shot

11058718_1006050669413284_4394775364212039163_n.jpg.51317a75b47a39076a5dfa252ce265b9.jpg

OK now here is a historical question - Was the Cord so fantastic and worshiped when new that people would genuflect  when they saw it? Do they still do this? Or is the guy looking below to see if the transmission is leaking? Or is this an "upskirt" moment from decades ago? Come on people give us an answer here in the interest of accurate automotive history.  Hope that last comment got a few of you laughing  or smiling .

Thanks so much to both John and Randy to taking the time and effort to share these great photographs with all of us.

Walt

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Walt G said:

OK now here is a historical question - Was the Cord so fantastic and worshiped when new that people would genuflect  when they saw it? Do they still do this? Or is the guy looking below to see if the transmission is leaking? Or is this an "upskirt" moment from decades ago? Come on people give us an answer here in the inter4est of accurate automotive history.  Hope that last comment got a few of you laughing  or  smiling .

Thanks so much to both John and Randy to taking the time and effort to share these great photographs with all of us.

Walt

I think that he is looking to see if there is actually a transmission under there.   I believe the first show cars were shipped without them?

37 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

This was a mis-indexed photo at LA Public Library that I accidentally stumbled onto in my quest to help Josh Malks with photos  - unfortunately it missed publication in  Cord Complete book as it was unfortunately found a couple weeks after final sign off for publication. 

408404738_THENEWCORD.jpg.f436c41eebfbee4872cb828e1a279ac6.jpg

By the way, this photo blows away the myth about transmissions not being installed in show cars - notice the hood is open = aka there is something in there whether it is functional or not.