Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

4 minutes ago, 3macboys said:

That would have been quite a trek in 1957 from London, Ont to Brighton, Ont, only about a 2 to 3 hour drive today

I agree.....makes me also wonder where are some of these awsome Canadian cars now.

5 minutes ago, coachJC said:

I agree.....makes me also wonder where are some of these awsome Canadian cars now.

I'm sure someone here will give the right years and makes but looks like around a 29 Rolls and 29 Packard.  Reminds me of a Rolls of about that vintage, maybe earlier, I can't quite remember the exact year now that an older gentleman that I delivered the newspaper to had.  That was around 1979.  He used to push it in and out of his garage by hand.  Last I saw it, it was at the body shop receiving numerous layers of lacquer.  Owner at the time was Quehl, who I believe was one of the original founders or developers of the Timberjack logging skidder (could be wrong on that too).  No idea where that car went after he passed.  

5 minutes ago, StanleyRegister said:

@coachJC, that's James Melton's 1908 Model K Stanley #4161, at his museum in Hypoluxo, Florida.  I've never seen a photo of it without either a CT or an FL plate - this is pretty cool.  Thanks!

Wow..that is impressive that you can identify that specific car....what gives it away that it is car #4161?

I have 5 photo albums of pics I wonder what else I may have?

1 hour ago, coachJC said:

The caliber of them took a big drop when smoking became 'socially unacceptable'.   Cigarette companies in Canada sponsored tons of sports and public gatherings including vintage car events.  The Craven Foundation was a heavy sponsor at one time, notably the Cross Canada Centennial run in 1967, and had a small collection of cars of their own.   I could be corrected, but I believe the collection as sold off in 1972, though they continued to sponsor the Vintage Car Club of Canada until around 1977 or so.  I believe Rothman's Pall Mall also sponsored a few car shows in the 1960's and 1970's.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

40 minutes ago, coachJC said:

Wow..that is impressive that you can identify that specific car....what gives it away that it is car #4161?

I have 5 photo albums of pics I wonder what else I may have?

I'm the roster keeper for Stanleys, and have a lot of photos of that car over the years.  It's one of the most desirable Stanleys in existence.  Sort of a muscle car, the biggest Stanley powerplant ever built, stuffed under not much more than a pair of seats.  Melton loved this car, he picked it up in the early '40s and it was one of the few he still owned when he died.

1919_Atkinson.jpg

1944-10_BH.jpg

1947_1972-33-5_BulbHorn.jpg

postcard2c.jpg

• Like 3

A more extensively modified '59 Continental Hess and Eisenhardt -- this was built for the Queen's Royal Canadian Tour in 1959.  There were two others, an Imperial and a Cadillac, and they were rotated throughout the tour.  The Imperial survives and is restored.  I think the Cadillac also still exists.  However, this one has been elusive.  I have many photos of it from the tour but have never seen any taken thereafter.  I also don't think I have any showing it with the top up.  The rear seat is split so the Queen's can be elevated and that feature shows in some of the other photos.  If it is out there it is quietly squirreled away somewhere.  I have never even heard a rumor of its existence.    

img122.jpg

20200319_210837.jpg

20200319_211034.jpg

A couple of period photos of a one-off Jaguar XK-120, built in late '54 by Pininfarina.  Question is, who had it in '58?  It had already been repainted and re-bumpered.  People did a lot more harm to it in the '60s and '70s, but now it's back in England and gone through a farication-intensive restoration to its original build.  I'm helping the owner figure out who owned it in the '50s and '60s - any clues would be appreciated.

1958-06_Boston_front.jpg

1958-06_Boston_rear.jpg

1958-06_Boston_right.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, StanleyRegister said:

@coachJC, that's James Melton's 1908 Model K Stanley #4161, at his museum in Hypoluxo, Florida.  I've never seen a photo of it without either a CT or an FL plate - this is pretty cool.  Thanks!

Here is a shot of the Melton 30HP Stanley from the book Bright Wheels Rolling. Bob 

DSCF5970.JPG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, A. Ballard 35R said:

Matt, with all the 540K pictures being posted I thought a little side comment on the car in the background would be amusing. Sorry it failed.

Please tell me a racial slur isn't humor to you. It was just a typo, right?

Matt FYI I had to go back and re-read as I thought his focus on the early TR vs. The obvious big MB was the humor. 

I am certain A.B. missed his typo.  I fat finger the next key all the time and would chalk this up to an honest mistake...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Rolls Royce on the left and a Packard on the right.

From Hemmings:

Any Rolls-Royce is bound to be a spectacular car in and of itself, but due to their prestige and exclusivity, they all tended to stand the test of time, so it often takes something special to make one stand out from the crowd of other Rolls-Royces at shows and gatherings. This 1927 Rolls-Royce Phantom I for sale on Hemmings.com stands out for its Dinsdale coachwork, to some, but to a broader audience its original owner may ring a few more bells. From the seller's description:
1927 Rolls-Royce Phantom One, chassis number S86PM. LHD by Brewster. This car was a special order for Mrs A Busch and was delivered to her May 28, 1927, in St. Louis, MO. The body style of this car is special 7p enclosed drive limo. It has the sliding division, skeleton trim in the front, and the jump seats; this makes it Dinsdale Coachwork and that makes it super rare.

This is a barn find that has only two owners since new, this is a very original Rolls-Royce and the body is in super condition; the doors and fittings are just perfect, the interior is all original and looks very good, the engine turns freely and wouldnt take much to put her back on the road.

1927RollsRoyce_01_700.jpg
  • Like 3

Just now, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Matt FYI I had to go back and re-read as I thought his focus on the early TR vs. The obvious big MB was the humor. 

I am certain A.B. missed his typo.  I fat finger the next key all the time and would chalk this up to an honest mistake...

Agreed, I'm sure he didn't mean to do it. But I'm also sure he'd like to fix it just to keep it from hurting anyone.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Please tell me a racial slur isn't humor to you. It was just a typo, right?

"L" and "K" are right next to each other on the keyboard.  I'll bet he doesn't even know what you are saying.  I read it three times before I even picked up on it.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

50 minutes ago, alsancle said:

"L" and "K" are right next to each other on the keyboard.  I'll bet he doesn't even know what you are saying.  I read it three times before I even picked up on it.

FOUND IT! Is there a prize or award I can cash in on too? Is that the 540K from the Byrd auction? Bob 

Ok, all sorted peacefully and appropriately . thanks for the concern of all ! back with a picture................................

the McFarland company provided hardware to coach builders starting right after WWI, most of it was cast in bronze or brass, much had knobs at the end that were turned from bone and colored to suit the application. Her is one of a series of 8 x 10 photos that they issued to offer a view of a package of hardware that worked together for the interior of a car.

The second photo is one I have only rediscovered after 25 years ( heck that is a quarter of a century) The Long Island Old Car Club was a Chapter of the NY Region of the VMCCA ( when it was still the Veteran Car Club of American not the Vintage CCA as it is now) Austin Clark , Wally McCarthy etc were all active in that club and every 5 years we would organize a celebration of the Vanderbilt Cup Races that took place on Long Island to celebrate a milestone anniversary ( 50th anniversary of a certain race , 65th etc) anywho . It would be a "moving" celebration - cars pre WWII were invited and all had to drive on a tour before relaxing at a restaurant for a meal together. 1988 was the 80th anniversary of when the Locomobile won the Vanderbilt Cup race. SO "the committee" consisting of Austin, me, Wally, Wulfkens, Tyrrels etc  started and ended the celebration at the Main Maid Inn in Jericho , NY. Jerry Helck graciously brought "Old 16" to the event from NJ as it was the car that won the race . Over 100 vehicles attended to honor that race/anniversary and the newest car there was a 1938 Packard., ALL went on a 20 mile tour before we sat down for a meal!   Had to share this photo of Jerry and me ( we asked people to dress for the era of the car they drove to the event thus my suit, I drove my 1931 Franklin Derham victoria) . Yes, I was much younger, had dark hair and all of it too for that matter . But here it is. I did get a ride in Old 16 right after this photo, YIKES, not much to hold on to to stay in the car and not fall out and be "seriously killed" as Austin Clark was famous for saying.

mcfarlandhardware001.jpg

1988old16002.jpg

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, coachJC said:

am amazed by the crowd watching the cars come into the park.

You must admit that this is a powerful image that speaks volumes to the public's perception of old cars as a novelty/interest item at the time. You couldn't fill a local park with people like that these days even if you had all 3 Kardashian sisters riding in the lead car tossing free I-phones out into the crowd!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3