What are you working on right now?

1 hour ago, JimKB1MCV said:

Impressive.

Terry,

Is the steam Lombard going to be able to make the small radius turns OK?

Different subject-

Is the track bearing job on the '28 dump truck making progress?

Some pictures of that project would be nice.

Thanks for the video.

Hello Jim,

The camera view makes it seem like we were heading for the trees at any minute! (LOL) That tall radiator hides a lot of real estate! (LOL)

Actually, the minimum radius on the curves is 75 feet with a minimum 12 foot travel surface though in spots its pinched a bit and needs filling out. We wanted to minimize cutting trees as much as possible and in particular save the big pines if possible. However, we do have some further cutting to do. With some adjustments the steamer should make it just fine. Though the steersman is really going to hate us!

In regards to the dump truck: Peter plans to cast the bushing blanks early next month. - then the fun will start! I will certainly share the adventure!

On another note... we just applied for a grant to (hopefully) cover the cost of the castings so we can have both the 10 ton Lombard and the Dump truck on skis. We should know in January .... fingers crossed! 

Here are a couple of photos of the dump truck with the wheels swapped out for skis. This was while it was owned by Starbird Lumber. I am not sure of the date but I am figuring late 30's or early 40's looking at the car in the background.

242054704_SCN_0004A.jpg.fe43ae207da941f9ebde26586a6baa88.jpg

1702477204_SCN_0004B.jpg.59ac795620c57e26ecdff60a9a5627ee.jpg

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 3

It’s that time of the year for this, especially after a marvelous fall driving season up here in the northland. This, posted by @trimacar on another website, is an important reminder to give your car the attention it deserves as we park them for the season. Too easy to park, cover and forget about the things we need to do, especially after a summer of driving it “like we stole it!”

042DED7E-ADB3-4ED5-AAAC-EFAFD8D8E6DE.jpeg

Edited by Jeff Perkins / Mn (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Finally getting to do some more related to car stuff !  Cut two holes in the back wall of the house and am calling them garages/ storage areas ! We made the doors flush so it would show as little as possible, now to get an entrance (driveway) made on the South side of our lot so the "real" cars can get back there too !  The Mini comes down the narrow North side walk-way just fine, ha ha ! The concrete guys are gona' love me before all this is over.....and we had to get a big "lump" of lava jack-hammered out of the side the Mini's in. Life in Paradise does have a few challenges, lol.

IMG_9432.JPG

IMG_9592.JPG

PXL_20211128_193709965.jpg

• Like 6

A while back I made the pattern and corebox to cast a replacement for the missing oil pump drive housing for my big Wisconsin engine. My friend Peter cast it up for me and .... I ..... promptly...... (sigh)... messed it up (ouch) when I machined it. As it turned out it was a blessing in disguise since my design wasn't quite right. So... I created another pattern and corebox and Peter cast three - two were keepers the third didn't fill out. Since I now seriously doubted my skills and since its a big junk of bearing bronze $$$$$$ I didn't want to chance messing it up again. So Ryan offered to take it on.

Today I got a lovely email telling me that they are all done. Now few hours working them over to smooth and polish and they will be ready to go!

20211130_125259.jpg.81fec20dbabc743083f86d8a4867d393.jpg

IMG_4133.JPG.a6640a9357dba2501d4ddcce0f029822.JPG

IMAG0224.jpg.48d87cb33988f61785661dd8b5b51143.jpg

• Like 9

From the last time I posted I got the new cross shaft diaphragm installed and the entire assembly put back together.   Of course it didn't work.   I did two things wrong:

1.  I put the diaphragm shaft in upside down so that little lever you see on the switch on the right couldn't travel correctly.

2.  I didn't tighten one of the vacuum lines which I discovered when I pulled the whole assembly apart again to fix the Diaphragm.

After pulling it all apart again, fixing it, and reinstalling everything I can now shift correctly by manually moving the shift lever on the cross shaft interlock switch you can see that is not installed.  I've discovered that it has to be perfectly adjusted for everything to work correctly.     I now need to get it adjusted and working while it is installed.

There were some other rabbit holes I went down on the way here but at the risk of looking too dumb I won't mention them.

IMG_9331.jpg

IMG_9330.jpg

• Like 10

On 6/25/2021 at 8:08 PM, ericmac said:

Today I took a much needed holiday from work and installed the new (used,) top on my HPOF '13 T Touring.  If it ever stops raining here I will get it out for a better photo.  Here it is in progress. Some of you may recognize Model T expert extraordinaire Mark Eyre helping me.

20210625_092722.jpg

Here is the finished product. 

20210627_193736.jpg

• Like 5

Took a little time on Saturday to disassemble the rear springs on my 36 Ford.  I have to admit that I felt like I was defusing a landmine just waiting for it to bite me but with 4 heavy C-clamps and patience I got it all apart and started on the cleaning prep for painting.  

I had thought about just painting the outside of the springs but finally talked myself into doing it right.  While in the process I filled my parts washer with cleaner so tonight when I get home I can scrub the leaves. (leafs?)  I have the rear hubs apart too so will scrub on them as well.  Sand blaster did a great job but missed some greasy spots.

My goal is to have the chassis sitting on its wheels by spring.

• Like 1

After 18 months of working on it..........you should probably hire an engineer to help you. Shit, I forgot you ARE an engineer! 🤣

These little problems separate the men from the boys. When blood starts coming out your eyes, it’s time for a a little bit of help. I suppose I’m going to have to come up and fix it for you........it’s a three hour flight and one and a half hours ride to get to the car for a ten minute fix........... so it’s not a very efficient use of my time. You have anything else broken to help make the trip more productive? 🤔

Maybe we can fix the goat problem you have been experiencing for the last five years, I’ll bring my cook book. 🤤 

OK, so you asked for a reasonable suggestion.......send it to me here, I’ll fix it and drive the wheels off of it. 

It’s obvious to me the gosinta and the gosoutta are crossed.........

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

The Cord Club tech looked at the video and he thinks I have a wire in the wrong spot on the interlok switch which is my theory also.  Determining which one will require a bit more thought.   However,  his second theory is that a wire is messed up in the selection switch.  I'm never taking that apart again, so the car will have to be crushed if that is true.

IMG_7897.jpg

Here is a before and after photo of AJ’s and Big Al’s car that I serviced for them last year. Phil and I got it done from start to finish in under 15 billable hours. Naturally, AJ complained about the price........I thought 432 dollars was fair. Big Al picked out the paint and wheels. He told me the real reason for the “look” is it’s the only way the ladies will talk to AJ at stop lights. I think it turned out pretty nice. Guys in the first photo with AJ are from his golf club.

Don’t worry, this one runs and shifts fine.......😎

“I see said the blind man picking up his hammer and saw, You do said the deaf mute?; while the man with no legs got up and walked away........”

25D365D4-FEF2-4861-A5F1-8136614C8ADE.png

822E93DF-9820-4EA4-9132-217179F66A3E.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

I will take the Cord off your hands for fifty cents on the dollar for what Big Al paid for it back in the 50’s. That’s cash, no inspection necessary. 

You would.......I’m gonna bring my helper along when I come up and fix it........here are current photos of myself and Phil, “With the hands like George the Animal Steel”.

C762FB95-3A3B-48AA-843D-235FBC6381E7.png

D28F247C-8177-4C50-BCF9-D6BF9CE5DFA2.png

• Haha 1

Bob, AJ will get it sorted out. Funny how “it’s just an old car” as many people say.........but making them right can be challenging for anyone. The Cord he is working on can make you want to jump off the roof. 

• Haha 1

That Superfly car was what you used to see in NY City crusin around with fellows who had fur hats and coats of multi assorted types and colors  of fur. The fur also lined the interior window frames and the dashboards were white fur as was the package shelf. Mostly big Mercury and Lincoln 4 door sedans. Many had diving board type Continental kits at the rear as well and "boom boxes" serenaded all who were within 30 feet .
Don Weber of Texas who was a great great guy and friend came up for a visit and he and Austin Clark and I went into N Y City to check out a car in a parking garage. ( it was a brass era Simplex too!!!)  Don had never seen in person one of the Super fly cars and when one drove by us he asked Austin ( who drove us in to see the car Don wanted to look at) to speed up to ride next to it for further inspection - he remark was "what is that???" We explained what it was and the level of people that owned and operated it for what purpose, and Don commented that that type of person/outfit/vehicle wouldn't last 30 seconds in Texas and also the fate of the car and owner if it was there at all.

SO much history so little time.

• Like 1

Current projects are to get things cleaned outside so all the dirt, dust, grease,grime etc is left out there, the stuff can then  come in somewhat clean to be able to continue work on them in my basement house workshop ( the same room as the furnace so it is nice and warm, great lighting, large window fan)  I am not working on any major parts for the cars I own, but some car related stuff that I like and will become wall decorations. The sign may just get a better cleaning and polish, the two Pines Winter Fronts I thought looked great and were a unique part of cars that was added to many in the WWI era or just after. I had the one with the horizontal shutters for about 35 years and added the one with the vertical shutters recently via evil bay. Well designed and excellent in manufacture, a search on the internet shows that the factory no longer exists in Chicago.(it was located at 404-424 N. Sacramento Blvd.)  I also located and bought ( for $11) a 1924 sales booklet on the winter fronts which informed me they also made locks for spare tire mounts which I wasn't aware of.

I need this kind of diversion and hands on activity to give me a break from the research and the writing - also need to remind myself I am retired  for some years...................to down shift a bit my level of activity and possible interest - NAH won't happen.

My good friend John Bloom has posted that he is also working on a Pines Winter front he acquired . ( must be a thing for guys that own 1930 Packards)  It is amazing what makes guys like us happy - nearly a century old frost prevention devices ( finger biters/pinchers ?)

WInterfrontstwo.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rick60 said:

Try Google Maps Street view at 1150 N Cicero Avenue, Chicago, Il.  The large red brick building has the Pines Company name over the entrance.

Thanks Rick, the catalog the factory issued when the winter fronts I have were made says the address I listed, so perhaps the one you show is or rather was their location after the early 1920s? Most interesting , more car history that needs to be sorted.

WinterfrontCATALOG1924.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Walt G said:

Current projects are to get things cleaned outside so all the dirt, dust, grease,grime etc is left out there, the stuff can then  come in somewhat clean to be able to continue work on them in my basement house workshop ( the same room as the furnace so it is nice and warm, great lighting, large window fan)  I am not working on any major parts for the cars I own, but some car related stuff that I like and will become wall decorations. The sign may just get a better cleaning and polish, the two Pines Winter Fronts I thought looked great and were a unique part of cars that was added to many in the WWI era or just after. I had the one with the horizontal shutters for about 35 years and added the one with the vertical shutters recently via evil bay. Well designed and excellent in manufacture, a search on the internet shows that the factory no longer exists in Chicago.(it was located at 404-424 N. Sacramento Blvd.)  I also located and bought ( for $11) a 1924 sales booklet on the winter fronts which informed me they also made locks for spare tire mounts which I wasn't aware of.

I need this kind of diversion and hands on activity to give me a break from the research and the writing - also need to remind myself I am retired  for some years...................to down shift a bit my level of activity and possible interest - NAH won't happen.

My good friend John Bloom has posted that he is also working on a Pines Winter front he acquired . ( must be a thing for guys that own 1930 Packards)  It is amazing what makes guys like us happy - nearly a century old frost prevention devices ( finger biters/pinchers ?)

WInterfrontstwo.jpg

The Old car hobby is a "gift without end" if you like to learn.  Walt's posts are constantly exposing me to new topics and history.  I found my Pines Winter front when buying a vintage sign from a guy.  It had the Hupmobile crest and wording on it and I recognized it as some thermostatic device from that era in the 20's.  I bought it for not much more than a nice dinner and thought "this will be something interesting to learn about".   Thanks for sharing that building picture.  I'll get around to restoring mine and displaying it.....There are 734 items in front of it needing my attention, but I will get around to it soon.......  Walt, I really like that vertical one you bought.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1